Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
98,001 - 98,020 of 130,294 Comments Last updated 14 min ago

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Misty Morn wrote:
<quoted text> I think the non believer can read, and might have fully read the Bible, but I also believe they simply lack understanding because understanding is given by the Holy Spirit which power they do not possess. The Holy Spirit guides us and teaches us all things. These people lean to their own understanding. They remain carnally minded. They will never understand nor will they ever be wise via their own vises.. To them the Word of God is folly. So actually to argue with them is futile. Proverbs 3:5 Proverbs 14:6-12.
In other words, you have to have faith or you can't understand. I get it. Join or die, simple.

For those who don't find it compelling, Hell and torment. Very nice!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>so you don't believe in the force? or you don't believe force can have consciousness?
No, I do not believe specially trained mystics can throw droids across the room with a thought. And I don't know what you mean by the second part.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

stinky toe cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
When I can't, I know I have a God that can. Who loves me and does what "man" can't understand. Attempting to justify the grace he has shown me is something I cannot do. I can only feel in my soul that it's there. I can post 5 million messages here and you may have a scientific explanation for why each is wrong.. or books that have information disclaiming the existence of a higher power. Chemical analysis that carbon dates the existence of whatever and a telescope that says my "sky god" isn't there. Consider this though,,, what separates our line of thinking,,, is Faith. If I'm blind and the sun shines,,, I still feel warm. I don't have to see the sun,,,, or the son,,, to know they are real.
I'm sure others have jumped on this but you do realize that the sun is a well established fact, right? Your analogy is not valid.

If we knew God every day, literally, then it would be a correct analogy. We'd close our eyes and he would still be there. But we don't know any God. No footprints, DNA, bones, or droppings to demonstrate such an animal exists.
Misty Morn

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
No, you need to explain how "in no place did God say the He demands" =
"the capacity He wants you to serve Him."
You think your invisible, imaginary friend WANTS to be served, but doesn't actually SAY it?
And here I was thinking that Christians are supposed to believe that "no man can know the mind of god."
But YOU do? Amazing...
Or maybe that came from your own little brain's imagination, along with all the rest of the religious nonsense.
Oh such a novice debating the Bible you are. You should pick a a better fight. Why don't you show me where He demands we serve Him? If He demanded we serve Him believe me YOU would be serving. God is like the wind, He is a spirit. No, you cannot see Him but you can see and feel the effects of His presence. I hear Him in an inaudible still small voice, yet very clear who it is speaking. He speaks through His word. Imaginary? No. Of course we don't know the whole mind of God, but He has told us all we need to know to have eternal life. If you don't want eternal life in Heaven one day that is your choice. I choose to go there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>As of now, the archeological digs are turning up nothing from the claimed exodus. Experts say evidence should be abundant due to the massive numbers claimed in the exodus, but for some strange reason, none can be found.
It is as if the whole story, or at least most of the story was fabricated.
No evidence of the claimed mass slavery of these people have been found either.
No evidence of the claimed overthrow of Israel by these people either.
Evidence shows that Judaism slowly came to the claimed land.
Yeah, this is an interesting story. There is some evidence that something happened that became the Exodus myth. For example, Moses is an Egyptian name. Why would the Hebrews name one of their greatest prophets after Egyptians? Unless they had to explain some event in their history in which Egypt played a huge role they would not need to do that.

There are some other clues based on the text that suggest the story has some basis in reality.

But the story as told in the Bible is clearly not true. It is a fantasy. A myth written later to explain some remembered historical events and paint the Hebrews in a positive light. As usual.

But clearly there is not a shred of evidence that anything happened in reality that Exodus describes. No rational scholars think Exodus is literally true.

Unfortunately the world is full of irrational people who claim to be scholars. They are out there digging in the sand looking for ghosts and have been for a century or more.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
God works through people. God gave the child a family.
Easy way to beat people down, say that everything they do right is not their own actions but those of the snake oil.
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

You can always tell when someone is telling the Truth, because they're told to shut up before they get to speak. This is why the Truth is so hard to find, because no one gets the chance to hear it from those who know it. The only way you can know that you know the truth is when everyone stops listening to you.
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Whatever sort of reasoning you are using to claim we are seeking god through topix can also then be applied to you seeking release from god through topix.
It is ok, come out of the bondage and into the freedom of the mind. Come to atheism, as evidenced by you being here, you clearly seek it.
The answer is NO, For many years I lived according to my human nature,with all it's faults and imperfections.
There came a time when all those imperfections were brought to my attention
And just as they did not see fit [a]to acknowledge God any longer, God gave them over to a depraved mind, to do those things which are not proper, 29 being filled with all unrighteousness, wickedness, greed, evil; full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, malice; they are gossips, 30 slanderers,[b]haters of God, insolent, arrogant, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 without understanding, untrustworthy, unloving, unmerciful; 32 and although they know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death, they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them

Their throats are open graves;
their tongues practice deceit.”[a]
“The poison of vipers is on their lips.”[b]
14 “Their mouths are full of cursing and bitterness.”[c]
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 ruin and misery mark their ways,
17 and the way of peace they do not know

I finally saw myself as I really was and found it to be abhorable

God has changed all that;

The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

Now that I have been cleansed,you would have me go back to my old lifestyle that I now find despicable

You can wash a pig and he will rush back to wallow in the mud.

I have no such desires
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Well that's not always the case, but usually on topix.
God is LOVE, which is in short supply on Topix and the world.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Oxymoron wrote:
Well that's not always the case, but usually on topix.
God is LOVE, which is in short supply on Topix and the world.
Short supply in the world? Where is your evidence of this?
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Shortened--
Now that I have been cleansed,you would have me go back to my old lifestyle that I now find despicable
You can wash a pig and he will rush back to wallow in the mud.
I have no such desires
When one decides in their mind that there is no God their mind immediately switches over to a "Survival of the Fittest" mindset just as animals have. The world becomes a "kill or be killed" world to them, and just like in the Movie quote from "Lord of the Rings" which is "There is only one Lord of the Ring and he does not share power", they must then fear their god who is Death, and everyone of them that believe this way have but a short time in their minds, and for this they are miserable, and misery loves company. I pray they see the outcome of their decision before he that walks about as a roaring lion devours them.(1 Peter 5:8)

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Oxymoron wrote:
<quoted text> When one decides in their mind that there is no God their mind immediately switches over to a "Survival of the Fittest" mindset just as animals have. The world becomes a "kill or be killed" world to them, and just like in the Movie quote from "Lord of the Rings" which is "There is only one Lord of the Ring and he does not share power", they must then fear their god who is Death, and everyone of them that believe this way have but a short time in their minds, and for this they are miserable, and misery loves company. I pray they see the outcome of their decision before he that walks about as a roaring lion devours them.(1 Peter 5:8)
Then why are there not more of us in prison?

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Misty Morn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh such a novice debating the Bible you are. You should pick a a better fight. Why don't you show me where He demands we serve Him? If He demanded we serve Him believe me YOU would be serving.
Ha. What a child-like intellect. Yeah, God doesn't demand anything, right?

Mobsters that offer you "protection" don't demand anything when they want you to pay them ridiculous cuts of your income. You don't have to give them anything. You just might end up with your business burned to the ground, your legs broken, or maybe simply shot in the face, but they don't demand anything. You totally have a choice.

God doesn't demand anything when he tells you to grovel and praise him and love him more than your own family. You don't have to give him anything. You might end up being turned to salt, plagued, being murdered along with all of your people (including children), burned in sulfur for an eternity, etc., but he doesn't demand anything. You totally have a choice.
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why are there not more of us in prison?
Because men do not seek God until there is no where else to turn, it's in our nature, and yours too. God is LOVE.

God wishes that everyone LOVE everyone, but not everyone will do this, simply because many do not know the "Will of God" and many will not do it "WHEN they know". But for those who do know and do "The Will of God" they receive Eternal LIFE. This is what the Messiah Jesus Christ came to tell Man in sum, but many did not, and do not believe Him (John 14:6);(Mathew 7:21). To follow the "Will of the Father" men would have to lay their weapons down and seek “Peace” through LOVE for one another, but many refused to do this and many still refuse to do this, so the World continues on towards Armageddon.(Revelation 16:13-16); (Mathew 10:16,17)

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Definition of DISDAIN
: a feeling of contempt for someone or something regarded as unworthy or inferior : scorn

You have demonstrated such an attitude towards science.
Only in the question of what happens after death.
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are you getting this information? How do you know nobody challenged Jesus? You didn't answer that question.
Also, the analogy of psychics is related. You are claiming that people who lived before JC predicted JC. That is what psychics do. The same tricks used by Christians to make it seem like JC was foretold are the same tricks used by Sally Brown and other psychics to fool people into thinking she has magic powers.
It is directly analogous.
I have answered and will answer the question again,
Those who were supposedly very knowledgeable about the Scriptures,had the opportunity to try and discredit Jesus's claims that the Scriptures spoke of HIM, I cited you one example.
If you read the Scriptures,you will find other instances,where they could have challenged his claims and were unable to do so
They readily admitted his powers,which Jesus said came from the father.
They ,in turn,unable to cite Scriptures ,to contradict his claim,
simply attributed his powers as coming from the devil
It is all there.
That you want to look for excuses so as not to erode the basis for your beliefs,is not my problem to resolve.

At his trial,they had the perfect opportunity to disprove his claim,but never attempted to do so based on what is written in the Scriptures.
And No,,Psychics and prophets are not one and the same.
True Prophets claim they are being guided by God's spirit and their is criteria by which they can be judged.
Psychics do not make that claim and if they do,they are lying and the results will bear that out...
If someone did challenge Jesus's claims,the challenge was not based on the validity of what Scripture tell s ua about him
If you have evidence to the contrary,provide it

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Who says they came from nothing? When you say "chance" do you consider gravity pulling rocks together over many millions of years to form a planet, "chance"?

Again, if you base the idea of god upon what you cannot know about the earth, life or the universe, I can understand why you must believe in a god. It is called, god of the gaps. You are inserting a god into a gap of knowledge.

Ancient men did not have knowledge of how rain came to be, so they formed a concept of a god making rain. Some called this god, Zeus.
Yes, this would be considered chance. As in no one is guiding the individual formations to gravitate towards each other. That would be chance.
I personally do not see how the planets in our solar system could orbit this sun so consistently for billions of years, without moving closer to the point that it is eventually consumed, or further, in which eventually life on this planet would no longer exist.
So I have a belief that God put these things in motion, and that it did not happen by chance. As always, I admit this is my belief.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Oxymoron wrote:
<quoted text> Because men do not seek God until there is no where else to turn, it's in our nature, and yours too. God is LOVE.
God wishes that everyone LOVE everyone, but not everyone will do this, simply because many do not know the "Will of God" and many will not do it "WHEN they know". But for those who do know and do "The Will of God" they receive Eternal LIFE. This is what the Messiah Jesus Christ came to tell Man in sum, but many did not, and do not believe Him (John 14:6);(Mathew 7:21). To follow the "Will of the Father" men would have to lay their weapons down and seek “Peace” through LOVE for one another, but many refused to do this and many still refuse to do this, so the World continues on towards Armageddon.(Revelation 16:13-16); (Mathew 10:16,17)
No true Scotsman fallacy. Do you have an answer that is not fallacious?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Again, I suppose the Jews expected as much due to the tradition of King David and Moses doing the same. This is why Jesus supposedly had to have ties of blood relation to King David. As if the blood line held some magical power. As if a god had to impregnate someone that was a descendant of king David. Or was it Joseph that was the descendant? Well the new testament claims they both were, in order to cover that base.

See why this all sounds like a comic book to us?

Maybe if the prophesy was a bit less vague, the Jews would accept your claims. Maybe the holy ghost will not tell them until after they already believe the story?
The only correlation to bloodline is the priesthood. Blood has nothing to do with it. The priesthood was handed down from father to son by the laying on of hands. Jesus would need to be born in a family that worships God and follows God's commandments.

Yes I understand why you don't believe. Really I do. That's why I'm not insulting about it. That's why I don't threaten you with talk of sin and hell.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Only in the question of what happens after death.
Well, two problems, that would make your disdain for all of science because science is the tool used to discover all the answers that scientific minds rely on. Thus, if you have disdain for one thing science has discovered, you have disdain for all things science has helped us discover.

Second, science doesn't say anything about what happens after death, there is no evidence to present, thus we cannot use the tool to analyze anything, thus there is nothing for science to tell us about what happens after death other than "nothing."

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 min Straw Grasping Te... 150,110
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 1 hr SLY WEST 3,476
KJB marriage straight from the bible!! Marriage... 1 hr IronHammer 8
Pull an absess tooth? is that dangerous (Sep '08) 3 hr Dental Assistant 41
Johnnie Mcgegor at csc 3 hr Big fan 3
Lesb or Bi 3 hr Good time Sally 2
Charmaine 4 hr Who 2

Search the Barbourville Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••