Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
97,981 - 98,000 of 130,536 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102552 May 5, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong question. That was a response to you. I'm talking about my question of how the solar system came to be, and what triggered it.
The solar system came together by the same forces that all solar systems come together, gravity.
Are you disputing gravity now?

Are you going to even attempt to answer my questions? Sure seems like you are avoiding them.
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

#102553 May 5, 2013
Birds fly. Flight is possible. Even if you can't do it on your own. ;)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102554 May 5, 2013
stinky toe cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
Explaining faith isn't as simple as explaining the lack of it. It's easy for someone to say look do you see anything,,, it isn't there. Even though the air itself described as an absence is something based upon science. Faith as it relates to this discussion is not something I can explain or claimed to be capable of doing. As far as seeking atheism,,, I do serve a great and wonderful God,,, witnessing here,,, is probably going to help win more souls to Christ than witnessing among a body of like minded believers who already feel God in their hearts. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday, thanks for the discussion.
Well air is not an absence of something. And this something can be detected in many ways. No faith needed at all. The results of the tests are consistent and available to anyone, whether they are believing in a holy ghost or not.

Air; A colorless, odorless, tasteless, gaseous mixture, mainly nitrogen (approximately 78 percent) and oxygen (approximately 21 percent) with lesser amounts of argon, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, neon, helium, and other gases.
This mixture with varying amounts of moisture and particulate matter, enveloping the earth; the atmosphere.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/air#ixzz2SRRzJOp...
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

#102555 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>By your own reasoning, to claim all came without a god being impossible could also be wrong.
And I am not so sure any atheists here have claimed a god is impossible. I see no evidence god did anything, so if you expect me to believe, or a god expects me to believe, I need some evidence, not just the idea of it being possible.
Luke 4:12
And Jesus answering said unto them, "It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God."

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102556 May 5, 2013
stinky toe cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
Explaining faith isn't as simple as explaining the lack of it. It's easy for someone to say look do you see anything,,, it isn't there. Even though the air itself described as an absence is something based upon science. Faith as it relates to this discussion is not something I can explain or claimed to be capable of doing. As far as seeking atheism,,, I do serve a great and wonderful God,,, witnessing here,,, is probably going to help win more souls to Christ than witnessing among a body of like minded believers who already feel God in their hearts. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday, thanks for the discussion.
I see faith, as it pertains in the religious sense is a belief of something that has zero evidence. I sometimes make this more clear by calling it blind faith.
Now what I find strange is, some live their whole lives based upon the claims that are of blind faith.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102557 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So because the bible CLAIMS that the Pharisees did not answer one question that Jesus asked, this means the whole of the prophesies of their holy book has been proved falsely interpreted?
Note I highlight the word CLAIM. I do this because you are giving us a one sided story.
None of this shows Jews on the whole are falsely interpreting their holy books. And why would you judge all Jews based upon a few claims of a few Jews?
Not to mention, the question Jesus asked could be applied to any man making a claim to be the messenger.
1)So because the bible CLAIMS that the Pharisees did not answer one question that Jesus asked, this means the whole of the prophesies of their holy book has been proved falsely interpreted?

I cited one instance where they had the opportunity to prove Jesus wrong and declined to do so.

AS YOU KNOW,there are other instances,so stop trying to play your childish games.

What you are doing,in order to justify your beliefs,is ignoring the facts and attributing to me statements I never made and you know to be false.
"And why would you judge all Jews based upon a few claims of a few Jews?" That is nonsense,I have never made that claim
You do not want to believe in God and will not accept any evidence that will erode your beliefs.
I am sure that you are familiar with what took place at Jesus's trial when he went before Pontius Pilate LUKE chapter 23 and what took place when he went before the High Priest John18;19 to 25
You claim that you were once a believer,but have never stated what you believed in or the reasons for your beliefs,
Now,you claim to be an Atheist,that you have lost your faith,,
If this all be true,then you may find the answer as to why this happened by reading the Parable of the Sower and it's interpretation.

youtube

AOL

#102558 May 5, 2013

A N T I C H R I S T .....on world stage

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102559 May 5, 2013
stinky toe cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
And Jesus answering said unto them, "It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God."
Did you have a point? I do not believe the demands of Jesus are valid. I do not have such trust in blind faith.

This passage looks to me as a perfect propaganda line that anyone who wishes you to believe in a false being needs you to obey.

I am sure any dictator or politician would love for you to follow this demand if it lead to their agenda.

The fact this is not obvious to you is what baffles my mind.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102560 May 5, 2013
stinky toe cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you change your name here or are you stuck on that one? Just the idea of stinky toe cheese makes me queasy. I can almost smell it, yuck.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102561 May 5, 2013
stinky toe cheese wrote:
1st Peter: Chapter 5
6: Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
7: Casting all your care upon him: for he careth for you.
8: Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
10:But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
11: To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
All of this is perfect propaganda to trick someone into being subservient to claims that have zero evidence.

I am sure Karl Rove would love to be able to say this about Bush and people listened and believe as you do to this.

Edited version.

6: Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of GEORGE BUSH, that he may exalt you in due time:
7: Casting all your care upon him: for he careth for you.
8: Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the JOHN KERRY, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
10:But the BUSH of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by KARL ROVE, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
11: To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

#102562 May 5, 2013
Blind faith...? Oxymoron. What do you live your life based upon? Have you calculated when you will die and decompose? Which plant life will most likely feed off of your rotted remains and produce oxygen for the evolved species that will benefit from your corpse? Will that species even need oxygen? I can't be sure,,, neither can you,,, you're dead at that point. I've accepted the fact,, I don't know everything. Some people haven't.... I find that strange.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102563 May 5, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)So because the bible CLAIMS that the Pharisees did not answer one question that Jesus asked, this means the whole of the prophesies of their holy book has been proved falsely interpreted?
I cited one instance where they had the opportunity to prove Jesus wrong and declined to do so.
AS YOU KNOW,there are other instances,so stop trying to play your childish games.
What you are doing,in order to justify your beliefs,is ignoring the facts and attributing to me statements I never made and you know to be false.
"And why would you judge all Jews based upon a few claims of a few Jews?" That is nonsense,I have never made that claim
You do not want to believe in God and will not accept any evidence that will erode your beliefs.
I am sure that you are familiar with what took place at Jesus's trial when he went before Pontius Pilate LUKE chapter 23 and what took place when he went before the High Priest John18;19 to 25
You claim that you were once a believer,but have never stated what you believed in or the reasons for your beliefs,
Now,you claim to be an Atheist,that you have lost your faith,,
If this all be true,then you may find the answer as to why this happened by reading the Parable of the Sower and it's interpretation.
I am familiar with the claims your side made about the trial. I also wonder who told your side about the trial, as Jesus was the only one on your team supposedly there?
Any common man could have made the claimed statements of Jesus and not be proved wrong because the prophesy was so vague, it was not that hard to word game as Jesus did to stump the pharisees.
You see, the prophesies made no hard claims that an ordinary man could not pretend to be.

Actually I did state what I once believed. I was raised, at least in part as a Mormon. My father was a Catholic and raised me as such until my parents divorced and I was then raised by my mother. She converted to Mormonism.
I believed it because I was a kid and did not know better. I had never heard an argument against the beliefs. As I grew up, I eventually heard some arguments against them and thus I lost the faith in the religion and eventually I lost faith in the claim of god.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102564 May 5, 2013
stinky toe cheese wrote:
Blind faith...? Oxymoron. What do you live your life based upon? Have you calculated when you will die and decompose? Which plant life will most likely feed off of your rotted remains and produce oxygen for the evolved species that will benefit from your corpse? Will that species even need oxygen? I can't be sure,,, neither can you,,, you're dead at that point. I've accepted the fact,, I don't know everything. Some people haven't.... I find that strange.
I base my life upon the knowledge of how humans exist and die. I use all the knowledge of my life and try to keep learning on a regular basis to improve my life here.
I understand full well I could die at any moment. I have no expectations of a life after death because their is no evidence or indication any life as I know it could continue after my brain stops functioning.
My brain is my life. When it stops working, I see no logic to the claim that I still could have thoughts.

I do think maybe I should donate my body to science. At least my death could then help the living somehow. I think burying a body when it could actually help mankind is selfish.

Just how is blind faith an oxymoron?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102565 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Are you telling me that suffering is based upon the country and some idea that they must all worship the same or correct deity? Do no Mormons suffer?

If your god is withholding help from good people due to the actions of others, he is not a just god.
Again, I do not forgo my logic of justice for anyone or any god. You continue to fail to supply a logical or just reason god would withhold help.
I cannot control what others worship, so why would a god? Why would he punish or withhold help for these reasons? Sorry, but the logic meter is going crazy again.
Google the city of Enoch

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102566 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If the parent has the power to feed the child and he refuses, then yes, of course I would blame that parent. Yet your god supposedly has such powers, and yet does not feed the helpless child. For some strange reason you let god off the hook and put full blame on the parent, regardless if that parent has the food available to feed the child or not.

Again, all I see is your constant double standard for a god.
God works through people. God gave the child a family.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#102567 May 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>actually the bible doesn't claim to have all the answers either.
in fact it hints that there are many other books that could be written regarding the personality jesus alone; let alone, on the subject of INFINITE INTELLIGENCE>
Ecclesiastes 12:12
And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.
John 21:25
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.
That isn't what Christians usually say.

How about this: does the Bible have all the answers you NEED?

Because that's what I've been told my whole life. And it bespeaks the emptiness of intellectual honesty within Christianity that anyone would think so.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102568 May 5, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
God works through people. God gave the child a family.
So now you are telling me that god is not doing magic to heal the sick, it is really people healing the sick? Are they called doctors?
If people are all we need, then why do we need a god?
You keep avoiding the heart of my points like a plague. It is as if you have no real answers.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102569 May 5, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Google the city of Enoch
What about it? Are you telling me no one has any serious suffering in Enoch? I googled it and nothing jumped out at me that seems obvious. So either make a full statement or keep running like you seem to be doing from my questions.

Location hidden

#102570 May 5, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)It matters because,The Pharisees,Saducees ,the lawyers and the Scribes were the supposed experts in interpreting Scriptures
When Jesus made his claims,if those claims were inaccurate,
they would have been able to cite the Scriptures in order to demonstrate that Jesus was lying.
But ,they did not.
Where are you getting this information? How do you know nobody challenged Jesus? You didn't answer that question.

Also, the analogy of psychics is related. You are claiming that people who lived before JC predicted JC. That is what psychics do. The same tricks used by Christians to make it seem like JC was foretold are the same tricks used by Sally Brown and other psychics to fool people into thinking she has magic powers.

It is directly analogous.

Location hidden

#102571 May 5, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that God put these laws in motion to create rain. And I believe that He can control the rain when needed, as Jesus showed us.
Right. Like he did here:

"The Days of Prayer for Rain in the State of Texas refers to a designated three-day period from Friday, April 22, 2011, to Sunday, April 24, 2011, during which Texas governor Rick Perry asked that Texans pray for "the healing of our land [Texas]" and for an end to the drought.[1][2] The governor noted that in the past, Texans "have been strengthened, assured and lifted up through prayer", and thus believes the prayer to be an appropriate measure.

The drought continued to worsen for four months following the Days of Prayer. While only 15-17% of the state was undergoing exceptional drought by late April, the percentage grew to 50% a month later, and by late June, more than 70% of the state was experiencing exceptional drought conditions, a level at which it persisted until August 18, 2011."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Prayer_f...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 21 min Clint Eastwood 1,451
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Owl 81,598
Secret Mitch McConnell Recording 1 hr turtle chin 4
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 3 hr SLY WEST 3,493
laptops 3 hr travis 3
New club in Barbourville? 4 hr Yea right 46
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 hr Limbertwig 151,261
Roger Vanover trying to buy perscription medici... (May '12) 12 hr Girl 40
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••