Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,900)

Showing posts 97,981 - 98,000 of122,811
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

stinky toe cheese wrote:
The basis for the arguments I've seen here regarding the non-existence of God are fundamentally flawed.
You people are the only "fundamentally flawed" ones, stupid. I see nobody arguing that we can say that God does not exist. I only people correctly stating that one can reject your claim that he does exist. It is unsubstantiated. You don't understand logic or science. If you did, you wouldn't make the stupid argument you just did.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>All we have is a one sided tale of the story anyway, so if the claims of the bible are the only ones "curious" is going by, then of course he cannot know what the Jews actually said, did or thought.
Just seems strange to me that the stories of the Jews told of this deity coming and the deity could not convince them that he was the one. It is as if he was not powerful enough to convince them.
It is as if Jesus was just like another David Koresh of his time.
I see you are planning your excuses ,before you've seen my response.
If facts are provided,you will arbitrarily dismiss them.
True objectivity at it's worse.
That is to be expected
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Faith is taking the first step,
even when you don't see the whole staircase.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

and you don't understand Faith ;)

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe you,because I find it hard to logic, that any such "expert" would even surmise such a claim. Mostly because it even simple common sense would bare reason to think otherwise.
cite your sources plz, because I think there's not enough paper towels to wipe that kind of caca up with.
Desert Winds
Near the ground, wind direction is affected by friction and by changes in topography. Winds may be seasonal, sporadic, or daily. They range from gentle breezes to violent gusts at speeds greater than 300 kilometers/hour.
Low pressure in the Persian Gulf generates regular wind patterns in the Middle East, with the prevailing winds blowing from north to south. Saudi Arabia can get very windy and experience nasty sandstorms, particularly in the spring and summer. The shamal and sharqi winds blows from northwest through the Tigris and Euphrates Valley from March until September. These winds bring cool weather and can reach speeds of 60mph and kick up fierce sandstorms. In September, the humid “date wind” blows off the Persian Gulf and ripens the date crop.
The Khamsin is a hot, dusty, wind associated with North Africa that sometimes reaches Saudi Arabia. It blows up from the south during the summer. Sometimes beginning as early as April, it lasts for two or three days and is strong enough to kick up huge clouds of dust and sand and damage vegetation.
Etesian is an eastern Mediterranean summer that blows from the north towards the Sahara and from the Near East highlands towards the sea. It is also called a Meltemi . Sometimes sandstorms suddenly whip up, particular in khamsin season, shutting down flights, reducing visibility to near zero and sometimes killing people. These are often accompanied by thunderstorms or sinoons (hot sand-laden storms).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T he_Exodus#How_the_story_was_wr itten
There is archaeological evidence that the origins of Israel were in fact largely Canaanite, leaving, in the words of archaeologist William Dever, "no room for an Exodus from Egypt or a 40-year pilgrimage through the Sinai wilderness."[4] The modern scholarly consensus is that the story is best seen as theology instead of history, illustrating how Yahweh acted to save and strengthen his chosen people.[5]

A common hypothesis among biblical scholars today is that the first major comprehensive draft of the exodus story was composed in the late 7th or the 6th century BCE and later expanded into a work very like the one we have now.[13] There are currently a number of competing theories on the composition of the four books Exodus-Leviticus-Numbers-Deute ronomy, and they can be grouped into three broad "models". The first, the documentary hypothesis, proposes that the four books (actually five - the models include Genesis) were originally four separate documents, treating the same subject (i.e. the Exodus) written at various times between the 9th and 6th centuries BCE and combined about 450 BCE. This theory dominated biblical scholarship from the late 19th century to the 1970s. The second, the "supplementary" model, had been popular before the documentary hypothesis dominated the field and has re-emerged since the 1970s. It holds that that there was a single original document which was then expanded by "supplements", again with the end product emerging around 450 BCE. The third, the "fragmentary" model, proposes that the four books were combined by a single author from a host of "fragments", meaning small texts as well as oral traditions (sagas and folk-tales), again c.450 BCE.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That is to be expected
I was responding to a post. If you have a better explanation for why the Jews were wrong, go for it.
Are you dismissing my response before you even ask a question?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

stinky toe cheese wrote:
Faith is taking the first step,
even when you don't see the whole staircase.
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Why do you not take the first step in having faith that god may not exist?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't believe you,because I find it hard to logic, that any such "expert" would even surmise such a claim. Mostly because it even simple common sense would bare reason to think otherwise.
cite your sources plz, because I think there's not enough paper towels to wipe that kind of caca up with.
Desert Winds
Near the ground, wind direction is affected by friction and by changes in topography. Winds may be seasonal, sporadic, or daily. They range from gentle breezes to violent gusts at speeds greater than 300 kilometers/hour.
Low pressure in the Persian Gulf generates regular wind patterns in the Middle East, with the prevailing winds blowing from north to south. Saudi Arabia can get very windy and experience nasty sandstorms, particularly in the spring and summer. The shamal and sharqi winds blows from northwest through the Tigris and Euphrates Valley from March until September. These winds bring cool weather and can reach speeds of 60mph and kick up fierce sandstorms. In September, the humid “date wind” blows off the Persian Gulf and ripens the date crop.
The Khamsin is a hot, dusty, wind associated with North Africa that sometimes reaches Saudi Arabia. It blows up from the south during the summer. Sometimes beginning as early as April, it lasts for two or three days and is strong enough to kick up huge clouds of dust and sand and damage vegetation.
Etesian is an eastern Mediterranean summer that blows from the north towards the Sahara and from the Near East highlands towards the sea. It is also called a Meltemi . Sometimes sandstorms suddenly whip up, particular in khamsin season, shutting down flights, reducing visibility to near zero and sometimes killing people. These are often accompanied by thunderstorms or sinoons (hot sand-laden storms).
Numbers and logistics

According to Exodus 12:37-38, the Israelites numbered "about six hundred thousand men on foot, besides women and children," plus many non-Israelites and livestock.[15] Numbers 1:46 gives a more precise total of 603,550.[16] The 600,000, plus wives, children, the elderly, and the "mixed multitude" of non-Israelites would have numbered some 2 million people,[17] compared with an entire Egyptian population in 1250 BCE of around 3 to 3.5 million.[18] Marching ten abreast, and without accounting for livestock, they would have formed a line 150 miles long.[19]

No evidence has been found that indicates Egypt ever suffered such a demographic and economic catastrophe or that the Sinai desert ever hosted (or could have hosted) these millions of people and their herds.[20] Some scholars have rationalised these numbers into smaller figures, for example reading the Hebrew as "600 families" rather than 600,000 men, but all such solutions raise more problems than they solve.[21] The view of mainstream modern biblical scholarship is that the improbability of the Exodus story originates because it was written not as history, but to demonstrate God's purpose and deeds with his Chosen People, Israel.[3] Thus it seems probable that the 603,550 people delivered from Egypt (according to Numbers 1:46) is not simply a number, but a gematria (a code in which numbers represent letters or words) for bnei yisra'el kol rosh, "the children of Israel, every individual;"[22] while the number 600,000 symbolises the total destruction of the generation of Israel which left Egypt, none of whom lived to see the Promised Land.[23]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus#Numbe...

Millions of people leaving no trace for a period of forty years is a bit hard to swallow, no matter how much sand is blowing.
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Because the Bible has a better track record than Hazard Ky. topix......
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

hope you break that spell soon,,,,, thanks for the opportunity to witness....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Desert Winds
Archaeology

A century of research by archaeologists and Egyptologists has found no evidence which can be directly related to the Exodus captivity and the escape and travels through the wilderness,[3] and most archaeologists have abandoned the archaeological investigation of Moses and the Exodus as "a fruitless pursuit".[4] A number of theories have been put forward to account for the origins of the Israelites, and despite differing details they agree on Israel's Canaanite origins.[24] The culture of the earliest Israelite settlements is Canaanite, their cult-objects are those of the Canaanite god El, the pottery remains in the local Canaanite tradition, and the alphabet used is early Canaanite, and almost the sole marker distinguishing the "Israelite" villages from Canaanite sites is an absence of pig bones, although whether even this is an ethnic marker or is due to other factors remains a matter of dispute.[25] There is archeological evidence of the Caananite Hyksos people moving into and out of northern Egypt, though the relation of their dates to the biblical account is debated by scholars.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Exodus#Archa...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Here is the post in question, and I cannot find a question in it.

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing I disagree with is that marriage helps someone stay monogamous. I'm not ignoring your point, I just disagree with it.
Also, I never said to deny gays the same rights. Please don't assume that is my stance.
Wrong question. That was a response to you. I'm talking about my question of how the solar system came to be, and what triggered it.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
There may vey well be some basis to your point,but those like you,who have so much faith in Science,should not readily dismiss the Scientific explanation which can easily be applied to your condition
Whatever sort of reasoning you are using to claim we are seeking god through topix can also then be applied to you seeking release from god through topix.

It is ok, come out of the bondage and into the freedom of the mind. Come to atheism, as evidenced by you being here, you clearly seek it.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

stinky toe cheese wrote:
and you don't understand Faith ;)
You failed to explain faith.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That is to be expected
Just telling you my perspective of these claims.
I see you could not refute them. Well according to your standards, this means I must be correct.
Again, what you claimed happened could be applied to anyone making the claim. None of it shows Jesus was a messiah. The prophesy was so vague, anyone could claim to be the messiah and could not be proved wrong.

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>All we have is a one sided tale of the story anyway, so if the claims of the bible are the only ones "curious" is going by, then of course he cannot know what the Jews actually said, did or thought.
Just seems strange to me that the stories of the Jews told of this deity coming and the deity could not convince them that he was the one. It is as if he was not powerful enough to convince them.
It is as if Jesus was just like another David Koresh of his time.
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You failed to explain faith.
Explaining faith isn't as simple as explaining the lack of it. It's easy for someone to say look do you see anything,,, it isn't there. Even though the air itself described as an absence is something based upon science. Faith as it relates to this discussion is not something I can explain or claimed to be capable of doing. As far as seeking atheism,,, I do serve a great and wonderful God,,, witnessing here,,, is probably going to help win more souls to Christ than witnessing among a body of like minded believers who already feel God in their hearts. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday, thanks for the discussion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

stinky toe cheese wrote:
The basis for the arguments I've seen here regarding the non-existence of God are fundamentally flawed. They are based upon science and quantified data. The only problem with this argument is that one nano-second prior to the discovery of this information,,, or realization,,, it didn't exist based upon your argument. Before the first manned flight,,, it was impossible even though we had seen birds in flight. Before a man landed on the moon,,, it was impossible because no man had done it. Before the first open heart surgery,,, the first transplant,,, the first... historical "scientific" accomplishment,,,, it was theory. To profess yourself as the end all of a discussion around the existence of a possibility pretty much destroys your credibility as an intellectual human being.
By your own reasoning, to claim all came without a god being impossible could also be wrong.

And I am not so sure any atheists here have claimed a god is impossible. I see no evidence god did anything, so if you expect me to believe, or a god expects me to believe, I need some evidence, not just the idea of it being possible.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong question. That was a response to you. I'm talking about my question of how the solar system came to be, and what triggered it.
The solar system came together by the same forces that all solar systems come together, gravity.
Are you disputing gravity now?

Are you going to even attempt to answer my questions? Sure seems like you are avoiding them.
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Birds fly. Flight is possible. Even if you can't do it on your own. ;)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

stinky toe cheese wrote:
<quoted text>
Explaining faith isn't as simple as explaining the lack of it. It's easy for someone to say look do you see anything,,, it isn't there. Even though the air itself described as an absence is something based upon science. Faith as it relates to this discussion is not something I can explain or claimed to be capable of doing. As far as seeking atheism,,, I do serve a great and wonderful God,,, witnessing here,,, is probably going to help win more souls to Christ than witnessing among a body of like minded believers who already feel God in their hearts. I hope you have a wonderful Sunday, thanks for the discussion.
Well air is not an absence of something. And this something can be detected in many ways. No faith needed at all. The results of the tests are consistent and available to anyone, whether they are believing in a holy ghost or not.

Air; A colorless, odorless, tasteless, gaseous mixture, mainly nitrogen (approximately 78 percent) and oxygen (approximately 21 percent) with lesser amounts of argon, carbon dioxide, hydrogen, neon, helium, and other gases.
This mixture with varying amounts of moisture and particulate matter, enveloping the earth; the atmosphere.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/air#ixzz2SRRzJOp...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 97,981 - 98,000 of122,811
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

59 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 9 min Smart Kids Go To College 922
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 13 min Le Cry Baby Is Stupid 138,739
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 26 min diverse interests 81,208
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 31 min BIG_STEVIE 16,030
new restaurant in downtown shopping center 1 hr jimmy 30
Maryann Smith and Thomas (Oct '12) 1 hr family 24
License plate number 613-LHN 2 hr Gator 8 5
Corey vs. Collins 15 hr Charley 57
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••