Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
97,941 - 97,960 of 130,451 Comments Last updated 38 min ago

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that God put these laws in motion to create rain. And I believe that He can control the rain when needed, as Jesus showed us.
All things happen because they are manipulated by metaphysical forces? Then I "believe" that it must be Satan that is rerouting the neuro-chemical reactions and electron paths in your brain that leads you to believe in metaphysical imaginary beings.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>good, or evil, can be subjective based on culture and often on personal opinion.
I agree. I think it is evil to condemn homosexuality.
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.—Bacon

On "Golden Calves"-

Jeremiah 16
19 Lord, my strength and my fortress,
my refuge in time of distress,
to you the nations will come
from the ends of the earth and say,
“Our ancestors possessed nothing but false gods,
worthless idols that did them no good.
20 Do people make their own gods?
Yes, but they are not gods!”
Misty Morn

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Same place he was before. Open an umbrella, go under the ladder, past the black cat near the broken mirror and when you get to the spilled salt look up on the wall for the 4 leaf clover in the up-turned horseshoe.
Or coming in the clouds? Keep a rabbit's foot in your pocket, you will need it. Nice poetry but heard it many times. Too bad it is not fitting here because bad luck has nothing to do with the question at hand. Why did the chicken cross the road?.. Aw, just to give people something useless to talk about.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Misty Morn wrote:
<quoted text> I think the non believer can read, and might have fully read the Bible, but I also believe they simply lack understanding because understanding is given by the Holy Spirit which power they do not possess. The Holy Spirit guides us and teaches us all things. These people lean to their own understanding. They remain carnally minded. They will never understand nor will they ever be wise via their own vises.. To them the Word of God is folly. So actually to argue with them is futile. Proverbs 3:5 Proverbs 14:6-12.
So are we ignoring this holy ghost or is the ghost refusing to speak to us because we do not believe the ghost exists?

Of course you are wrong that atheists are all carnal. But I understand you are just parroting the propaganda of religion. Are the atheists you know all carnal people? Do you actually know any atheists? Did you find a study that had evidence to your claims of what atheists are or do you just blindly trust Proverbs?
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>As of now, the archeological digs are turning up nothing from the claimed exodus. Experts say evidence should be abundant due to the massive numbers claimed in the exodus, but for some strange reason, none can be found.
I don't believe you,because I find it hard to logic, that any such "expert" would even surmise such a claim. Mostly because it even simple common sense would bare reason to think otherwise.
cite your sources plz, because I think there's not enough paper towels to wipe that kind of caca up with.

Desert Winds

Near the ground, wind direction is affected by friction and by changes in topography. Winds may be seasonal, sporadic, or daily. They range from gentle breezes to violent gusts at speeds greater than 300 kilometers/hour.

Low pressure in the Persian Gulf generates regular wind patterns in the Middle East, with the prevailing winds blowing from north to south. Saudi Arabia can get very windy and experience nasty sandstorms, particularly in the spring and summer. The shamal and sharqi winds blows from northwest through the Tigris and Euphrates Valley from March until September. These winds bring cool weather and can reach speeds of 60mph and kick up fierce sandstorms. In September, the humid “date wind” blows off the Persian Gulf and ripens the date crop.

The Khamsin is a hot, dusty, wind associated with North Africa that sometimes reaches Saudi Arabia. It blows up from the south during the summer. Sometimes beginning as early as April, it lasts for two or three days and is strong enough to kick up huge clouds of dust and sand and damage vegetation.

Etesian is an eastern Mediterranean summer that blows from the north towards the Sahara and from the Near East highlands towards the sea. It is also called a Meltemi . Sometimes sandstorms suddenly whip up, particular in khamsin season, shutting down flights, reducing visibility to near zero and sometimes killing people. These are often accompanied by thunderstorms or sinoons (hot sand-laden storms).

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you a few paper towels? The hedonists dragged that horseshoe through a boatload of MANURE! Not sure which Pharoahs boat it may have been.
It's ok - just wipe your lips on your sleeve. A word of advice?
You don't need any towels since you aren't supposed to touch it or examine it. All a god does is hang on the wall and make you feel good just "knowing" that it's there.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.—Bacon
On "Golden Calves"-
Jeremiah 16
No, I do not think the golden calves were gods or represented real gods, but I certainly think anyone who murders someone due to worshiping a god is evil. Thus the claimed Moses is evil in my opinion.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The child is taught the concept of god, it is not born in him.
a child is taught the concept of morality/immorality based on culture. some things are timeless because they mature and understand/see on a greater scale and become more balanced. awe and wonder are aspects of a inquiring mind. those who believe they know better are often disdainful/disrespectful because complacency/familiarity tends to breed contempt.
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Of someone other than the parent is teaching him, then it is possible but rare that the child could convince the parent of a god.
free thinkers are more of a rarity than the majority. they tend to discuss ideas and ignore personalities.
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Either way, no magic or holy ghosts needed.
you can't measure what you can't control and there are certain things outside of mankinds control; such as mindfulness, or a person's willfulness
Misty Morn

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
On "Golden Calves"-
Jeremiah 16
What is your point here?
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>As of now, the archeological digs are turning up nothing from the claimed exodus. Experts say evidence should be abundant due to the massive numbers claimed in the exodus, but for some strange reason, none can be found.
It is as if the whole story, or at least most of the story was fabricated.
No evidence of the claimed mass slavery of these people have been found either.
No evidence of the claimed overthrow of Israel by these people either.
Evidence shows that Judaism slowly came to the claimed land.
SO you don't believe any of the more secular publications either then?
History of the Maccabbees, Herods...Sherifians, Hussiens...some pretty stout writings attesting one to the other....
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ok - just wipe your lips on your sleeve. A word of advice?
You don't need any towels since you aren't supposed to touch it or examine it. All a god does is hang on the wall and make you feel good just "knowing" that it's there.
That works in some instances, but onion skins can bubble up some pretty cool stuff to be viewed under mikerscopes.

An no...I am not crudding up my shirt sleeve when I can use a paper towel lol.
curious

Ocoee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I understand why you believe this is a god answering prayers, but I do not see a god, nor do I think any events are caused by god.
Now when Hindu's pray and get the same claimed results as you, does that mean their is a Hindu god also or maybe it is just a flawed perception of cause and effect?
If you think magic happens due to prayers, then of course when an event occurs that you prayed for, you might assign that cause to the god you prayed for. This happens for every religious belief ever invented.
Science can show humans have flawed perceptions at a steady rate. We take mental notes of successes 80% more often than failures. We remember the successes.
So with this in mind, it stands to reason you are dismissing the failures of your prayers at a higher rate than the failures, thus you likely feel god is in your favor.
Also it stands to reason what you pray for is something you likely work for to succeed. So your actions are also causing some of these things to happen in your favor.
I often get upset when people attribute someones good deeds to a god. The person doing the good deed is marginalized and thus might be less motivated to help in the future.
So maybe give yourself and others the credit instead of some entity that cannot actually be known to be real.
You don't want to believe in God
Since that is what you want,that is what you believe in.
Any answer to the contrary,you will find a way to dismiss it.

I see that your answer is sprinkled with phrases such as"I think",
"maybe it is just a flawed perception" ,"you might assign"
" you likely feel" and based on those unproven suppositions,you then conclude
"So with this in mind, it stands to reason you are dismissing the failures of your prayers at a higher rate than the failures.

If,the basis for your foundation are faulty,not based on facts,then your conclusions are automatically invalidated.
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Misty Morn wrote:
<quoted text>What is your point here?
Worshipping golden calves can be very unhealthy ways to spend time.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent explanation. Makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
Three questions come to mind/
1. What triggered the Big Bang?
involution
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>2. Where did all the original matter come from?
always existed/eternal. energy cannot be created/destroyed. it simply changes form. undifferentiated matter creates differentiated matter and returns to undifferentiated matter.

energy and matter are the same thing.

e = mc2.
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>No, I do not think the golden calves were gods or represented real gods, but I certainly think anyone who murders someone due to worshiping a god is evil. Thus the claimed Moses is evil in my opinion.
Greed, covetouness and idoltry are rather foul in my opinion.
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>No, I do not think the golden calves were gods or represented real gods, but I certainly think anyone who murders someone due to worshiping a god is evil. Thus the claimed Moses is evil in my opinion.
and sociopathic terrorists that harm others in any way... are pretty foul too.
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

The basis for the arguments I've seen here regarding the non-existence of God are fundamentally flawed. They are based upon science and quantified data. The only problem with this argument is that one nano-second prior to the discovery of this information,,, or realization,,, it didn't exist based upon your argument. Before the first manned flight,,, it was impossible even though we had seen birds in flight. Before a man landed on the moon,,, it was impossible because no man had done it. Before the first open heart surgery,,, the first transplant,,, the first... historical "scientific" accomplishment,,,, it was theory. To profess yourself as the end all of a discussion around the existence of a possibility pretty much destroys your credibility as an intellectual human being.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1)It matters because,The Pharisees,Saducees ,the lawyers and the Scribes were the supposed experts in interpreting Scriptures
When Jesus made his claims,if those claims were inaccurate,
they would have been able to cite the Scriptures in order to demonstrate that Jesus was lying.
But ,they did not.
When Jesus challenged them,they refused to answer
Luke 20:1-26
20 And it came to pass, that on one of those days, as he taught the people in the temple, and preached the gospel, the chief priests and the scribes came upon him with the elders,
2 And spake unto him, saying, Tell us, by what authority doest thou these things? or who is he that gave thee this authority?
3 And he answered and said unto them, I will also ask you one thing; and answer me:
4 The baptism of John, was it from heaven, or of men?
5 And they reasoned with themselves, saying, If we shall say, From heaven; he will say, Why then believed ye him not?
6 But and if we say, Of men; all the people will stone us: for they be persuaded that John was a prophet.
7 And they answered, that they could not tell whence it was.
8 And Jesus said unto them, Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things
Now, in Malachi ,it is prophesied and they would be familiar with this passage;
3 “I will send my messenger, who will prepare the way before me. Then suddenly the Lord you are seeking will come to his temple; the messenger of the covenant, whom you DESIRE, will come,” says the Lord Almighty
At no time did the Pharisees,the Scribes,Chief priests or anyone else
challenge Jesus's claims that the Scriptures applied to him
Unable to do so,and refusing to believe,they were frustrated;19 So the Pharisees said to one another,“You see that you are gaining nothing. Look, the world has gone after him.”
and made plans to kill him
mark14;1It was now two days before the Passover and the Feast of Unleavened Bread. And the chief priests and the scribes were seeking how to arrest him by stealth and kill him,
I fail to see any relationship between the issue being discussed and your injecting Sally Brown and the treat ment of Christians into this discussion ,as it has nothing to do with the inability of Jesus's adversaries to prove that he was wrong in claiming to be who he said he was.
Stick to the topic and don't try to change it
So because the bible CLAIMS that the Pharisees did not answer one question that Jesus asked, this means the whole of the prophesies of their holy book has been proved falsely interpreted?

Note I highlight the word CLAIM. I do this because you are giving us a one sided story.

None of this shows Jews on the whole are falsely interpreting their holy books. And why would you judge all Jews based upon a few claims of a few Jews?

Not to mention, the question Jesus asked could be applied to any man making a claim to be the messenger.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent explanation. Makes a lot of sense. Thank you.
Three questions come to mind/
1. What triggered the Big Bang?
2. Where did all the original matter come from?
3. How would objects be able to pass by each other or be close enough to collect? If everything exploded, wouldn't all the parts be traveling away from each other in infinite directions?
1.. Probability... No trigger required... The Only laws that apply to a Unified Quantum of Energy without matter is Probability and Uncertainty... The Unified Quantum of Energy (UQE) had the probability of converting some, all or none of it's energy into matter, or not.. Uncertainty means that we being an intrinsic component of that conversion we can know energy state or position but never both simultaneously...

2. E=MC2 or M=E/C2... A Unified Quantum of energy can convert some, most or All of it's energy into Matter... And Matter can convert into energy... Absent Matter all physical laws and rules we use fail because all physical laws we know are based on Matter with inertial mass in relative motion to other matter with inertial mass...

3. No... During any explosive event in local areas particulate collide and may not follow ballistic trajectories but in the case of the BB it's not like a Explosion as we know it.. because the actually fabric is expanding and the (UGC) Universal Gravitational Constant reduces as the universe expands.. So Generally all matter is moving away from other matter at an ever increasing rate but Due to the gravitational effects local massive objects will move closer together and interact... All Matter is Connected to all other matter no matter the separation distance by the remainder of the UQE that did not convert into matter... and acts as a Inverse tensor between all matter causing the effect we call gravity...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 27 min Curmudgeon 151,023
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 33 min Liberal Not Stupid 1,058
Mayor West Sunday Campaining Respect the Sabbath 1 hr yep 15
union 2 hr curious 8
betty mills 2 hr town girl 1
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 3 hr SLY WEST 3,489
hot girl a the funeral home 3 hr justbecause0105 5
Ambulance hit 3 people last night in Knox count... 13 hr Hey 16
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000