Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 20 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

ScienceProves

London, KY

#102506 May 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Same place he was before. Open an umbrella, go under the ladder, past the black cat near the broken mirror and when you get to the spilled salt look up on the wall for the 4 leaf clover in the up-turned horseshoe.
Under the golden calf foot?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102507 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well my father is named Joe, but you seem to claim many fathers and I just get confused as to what you even consider a father. Is Jesus your father? Is god the father of Jesus? Does that god have a father? If so, who is he and why has no one mentioned him? Does he have a father?
I keep hearing the religious ask why atheists do not think the universe needed no deity creator. Well with that logic, the creators must have needed creators and so on and so on. Thus the concept has no more basis in truth than any other.
Yet you acted as if we are forgoing logic to assume no creator deity was needed.
Let me try to explain. It's very similar to our family relationships. Who we call God the Father, is the father of our spirits (including Jesus). We lived with Him before coming to earth. He sent us here as a temporary dwelling place to continue our progression to become more like Him. To over simplify, our parents have us here to grow up a little more. I guess I would consider this out toddler to adolescent years. We will hopefully continue progressing after this life and someday be able to do the same thing He did.
This would mean family units are eternally growing. He would have parents and grandparents, etc.
does that make sense?
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102508 May 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Same place he was before. Open an umbrella, go under the ladder, past the black cat near the broken mirror and when you get to the spilled salt look up on the wall for the 4 leaf clover in the up-turned horseshoe.
Have you a few paper towels? The hedonists dragged that horseshoe through a boatload of MANURE! Not sure which Pharoahs boat it may have been.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102509 May 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Since others gave adequate answers to some of your questions from that post, meh.
So you have no answer?
stinky toe cheese

Hindman, KY

#102510 May 5, 2013
1st Peter: Chapter 5

6: Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:
7: Casting all your care upon him: for he careth for you.
8: Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:
9: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.
10:But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you.
11: To him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102511 May 5, 2013
ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe they should've listened to start with, and fashioned mini golden goblets instead. The productivity graphs of practicality might've fared far better, and made for some great archeological digs!!!
As of now, the archeological digs are turning up nothing from the claimed exodus. Experts say evidence should be abundant due to the massive numbers claimed in the exodus, but for some strange reason, none can be found.
It is as if the whole story, or at least most of the story was fabricated.
No evidence of the claimed mass slavery of these people have been found either.
No evidence of the claimed overthrow of Israel by these people either.
Evidence shows that Judaism slowly came to the claimed land.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102512 May 5, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that God put these laws in motion to create rain. And I believe that He can control the rain when needed, as Jesus showed us.
All things happen because they are manipulated by metaphysical forces? Then I "believe" that it must be Satan that is rerouting the neuro-chemical reactions and electron paths in your brain that leads you to believe in metaphysical imaginary beings.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102513 May 5, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>good, or evil, can be subjective based on culture and often on personal opinion.
I agree. I think it is evil to condemn homosexuality.
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102514 May 5, 2013
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.—Bacon

On "Golden Calves"-

Jeremiah 16
19 Lord, my strength and my fortress,
my refuge in time of distress,
to you the nations will come
from the ends of the earth and say,
“Our ancestors possessed nothing but false gods,
worthless idols that did them no good.
20 Do people make their own gods?
Yes, but they are not gods!”
Misty Morn

Monticello, KY

#102515 May 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Or coming in the clouds? Keep a rabbit's foot in your pocket, you will need it. Nice poetry but heard it many times. Too bad it is not fitting here because bad luck has nothing to do with the question at hand. Why did the chicken cross the road?.. Aw, just to give people something useless to talk about.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102516 May 5, 2013
Misty Morn wrote:
<quoted text> I think the non believer can read, and might have fully read the Bible, but I also believe they simply lack understanding because understanding is given by the Holy Spirit which power they do not possess. The Holy Spirit guides us and teaches us all things. These people lean to their own understanding. They remain carnally minded. They will never understand nor will they ever be wise via their own vises.. To them the Word of God is folly. So actually to argue with them is futile. Proverbs 3:5 Proverbs 14:6-12.
So are we ignoring this holy ghost or is the ghost refusing to speak to us because we do not believe the ghost exists?

Of course you are wrong that atheists are all carnal. But I understand you are just parroting the propaganda of religion. Are the atheists you know all carnal people? Do you actually know any atheists? Did you find a study that had evidence to your claims of what atheists are or do you just blindly trust Proverbs?
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102517 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>As of now, the archeological digs are turning up nothing from the claimed exodus. Experts say evidence should be abundant due to the massive numbers claimed in the exodus, but for some strange reason, none can be found.
I don't believe you,because I find it hard to logic, that any such "expert" would even surmise such a claim. Mostly because it even simple common sense would bare reason to think otherwise.
cite your sources plz, because I think there's not enough paper towels to wipe that kind of caca up with.

Desert Winds

Near the ground, wind direction is affected by friction and by changes in topography. Winds may be seasonal, sporadic, or daily. They range from gentle breezes to violent gusts at speeds greater than 300 kilometers/hour.

Low pressure in the Persian Gulf generates regular wind patterns in the Middle East, with the prevailing winds blowing from north to south. Saudi Arabia can get very windy and experience nasty sandstorms, particularly in the spring and summer. The shamal and sharqi winds blows from northwest through the Tigris and Euphrates Valley from March until September. These winds bring cool weather and can reach speeds of 60mph and kick up fierce sandstorms. In September, the humid “date wind” blows off the Persian Gulf and ripens the date crop.

The Khamsin is a hot, dusty, wind associated with North Africa that sometimes reaches Saudi Arabia. It blows up from the south during the summer. Sometimes beginning as early as April, it lasts for two or three days and is strong enough to kick up huge clouds of dust and sand and damage vegetation.

Etesian is an eastern Mediterranean summer that blows from the north towards the Sahara and from the Near East highlands towards the sea. It is also called a Meltemi . Sometimes sandstorms suddenly whip up, particular in khamsin season, shutting down flights, reducing visibility to near zero and sometimes killing people. These are often accompanied by thunderstorms or sinoons (hot sand-laden storms).

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102518 May 5, 2013
ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you a few paper towels? The hedonists dragged that horseshoe through a boatload of MANURE! Not sure which Pharoahs boat it may have been.
It's ok - just wipe your lips on your sleeve. A word of advice?
You don't need any towels since you aren't supposed to touch it or examine it. All a god does is hang on the wall and make you feel good just "knowing" that it's there.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102519 May 5, 2013
ScienceProves wrote:
Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested.—Bacon
On "Golden Calves"-
Jeremiah 16
No, I do not think the golden calves were gods or represented real gods, but I certainly think anyone who murders someone due to worshiping a god is evil. Thus the claimed Moses is evil in my opinion.
harpocrates

Williamsburg, KY

#102520 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The child is taught the concept of god, it is not born in him.
a child is taught the concept of morality/immorality based on culture. some things are timeless because they mature and understand/see on a greater scale and become more balanced. awe and wonder are aspects of a inquiring mind. those who believe they know better are often disdainful/disrespectful because complacency/familiarity tends to breed contempt.
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Of someone other than the parent is teaching him, then it is possible but rare that the child could convince the parent of a god.
free thinkers are more of a rarity than the majority. they tend to discuss ideas and ignore personalities.
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Either way, no magic or holy ghosts needed.
you can't measure what you can't control and there are certain things outside of mankinds control; such as mindfulness, or a person's willfulness
Misty Morn

Monticello, KY

#102521 May 5, 2013
ScienceProves wrote:
On "Golden Calves"-
Jeremiah 16
What is your point here?
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102522 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>As of now, the archeological digs are turning up nothing from the claimed exodus. Experts say evidence should be abundant due to the massive numbers claimed in the exodus, but for some strange reason, none can be found.
It is as if the whole story, or at least most of the story was fabricated.
No evidence of the claimed mass slavery of these people have been found either.
No evidence of the claimed overthrow of Israel by these people either.
Evidence shows that Judaism slowly came to the claimed land.
SO you don't believe any of the more secular publications either then?
History of the Maccabbees, Herods...Sherifians, Hussiens...some pretty stout writings attesting one to the other....
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102523 May 5, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's ok - just wipe your lips on your sleeve. A word of advice?
You don't need any towels since you aren't supposed to touch it or examine it. All a god does is hang on the wall and make you feel good just "knowing" that it's there.
That works in some instances, but onion skins can bubble up some pretty cool stuff to be viewed under mikerscopes.

An no...I am not crudding up my shirt sleeve when I can use a paper towel lol.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102524 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I understand why you believe this is a god answering prayers, but I do not see a god, nor do I think any events are caused by god.
Now when Hindu's pray and get the same claimed results as you, does that mean their is a Hindu god also or maybe it is just a flawed perception of cause and effect?
If you think magic happens due to prayers, then of course when an event occurs that you prayed for, you might assign that cause to the god you prayed for. This happens for every religious belief ever invented.
Science can show humans have flawed perceptions at a steady rate. We take mental notes of successes 80% more often than failures. We remember the successes.
So with this in mind, it stands to reason you are dismissing the failures of your prayers at a higher rate than the failures, thus you likely feel god is in your favor.
Also it stands to reason what you pray for is something you likely work for to succeed. So your actions are also causing some of these things to happen in your favor.
I often get upset when people attribute someones good deeds to a god. The person doing the good deed is marginalized and thus might be less motivated to help in the future.
So maybe give yourself and others the credit instead of some entity that cannot actually be known to be real.
You don't want to believe in God
Since that is what you want,that is what you believe in.
Any answer to the contrary,you will find a way to dismiss it.

I see that your answer is sprinkled with phrases such as"I think",
"maybe it is just a flawed perception" ,"you might assign"
" you likely feel" and based on those unproven suppositions,you then conclude
"So with this in mind, it stands to reason you are dismissing the failures of your prayers at a higher rate than the failures.

If,the basis for your foundation are faulty,not based on facts,then your conclusions are automatically invalidated.
ScienceProves

London, KY

#102525 May 5, 2013
Misty Morn wrote:
<quoted text>What is your point here?
Worshipping golden calves can be very unhealthy ways to spend time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where's Arthur Vaughn? 12 min Sarah 17
Michelle yother 31 min Yes sir e 2
curious george 3 hr friend 1
Any info on the bad wreck on 25e near bar. 9 hr friend 12
Fed up! 10 hr Duh 21
Keep deleting 10 hr Funny 15
WHo is the most unfit mother in Bville? (Dec '09) 12 hr Wonder 63
state police 15 hr Elizabeth 17
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder (May '14) 17 hr singin in the pain 441
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]