Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,106

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102355 May 4, 2013
Raina wrote:
<quoted text>Have to disagree a little either way. Might as well allow them to marry. It would only be civil anyway. They would never be joined as one flesh by God. It would be a three ring circus to have a big Church wedding and married by a preacher as many gays want the right to. God would never be present at this abominable ceremony. People do have the right to live in sin. That is their choice. That in no way makes it right. It is merely fulfilling the lust of the flesh.
It (they) does not stop there...
They want to punish anyone that would not sell them flowers, rent them a church, or take their photos...
They WANT to rub our noses in their sins!
Just watch TV for proof!

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102356 May 4, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Still trying to explain the unexplainable by intentinally taking statements out of context and trying to fool people.
One can fool an Atheist into believing there is no God,but you can not fool a true believer.
HEY CHROMEHEAD,THIS IS WHAT I WROTE YOU TWIT
MY UNDERSTANDING OF what you posted,suggests to me that,you do not believe it is God's will to take the life of those who do not believe in him and that is why you believe God does not want anything to do with SD either,due to SD"S wish that they should die.
and here it is again. Your own words with no misquotes or out of context manipulations.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>"I UNDERSTAND TO MEAN that,you (Q, an atheist) believe that,although God doesn't want anything to do with Unbelievers or SD either,he does not believe unbelievers should be punished by death due to their disagreement with SD"s beliefs."
i UNDESTAND TO MEAN,implies ,that if I understood incorrectly,he has the opportunity of correcting me
Which he did not do
Anyhow,you asked" Can you say, "atrophied hippocampus"
And I ask you Do you know the meaning of Excrement Cranium?
I am sure you do....Guilty ba ass ociation
Maybe it would be best if you stick with cutting and pasting Bible passages. When putting things in your own words you get hostile, abusive and confused. Intelligence of a charter member of "Menza?" I doubt that they have much respect for kazoo players.
Unless you have something to add to the topic as I've asked or you say something so cockamamie that I just can't resist, I think I'm done with you.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102357 May 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Is a snowflake created or the result of water molecules freezing and their polarization causing the formation of crystal structures?
Ok, how is this?
How do you "think" solar systems were "formed", and from what, and what triggered it?

Did I use all the right words that time for you to actually answer the question instead of avoiding it?
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102358 May 4, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"a solar system that operates perfectly" Say Whut? Entire solar systems blow up, big hunks of rock and ice smack planets, The moon is moving away from the earth at a few inches a year, the magnetic north pole is moving at 40 miles per year, volcano erupt and destroy miles of country side, earth quakes kill 1000's, tsunami's wipe cities, 1000's of species go extinct every year.... Where's all that Perfection?
"1000's of species go extinct every year.... Where's all that Perfection?"
Can you say Fallen world?
Adam n Eve messed it up by listening to a God hater!
Look at where we are today with God haters running our county!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102359 May 4, 2013
Raina wrote:
<quoted text>Well that's a stupid childish lie.
That's all you get from him... he's a Marine! LOL
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102360 May 4, 2013
Just sayin wrote:
I hate the poor Satanic Priest got banned from Topix! HeHeHe.
Banned, or went to meet his maker???
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102361 May 4, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't say anything about what Jesus is. I said that if you and I lived in Iran and were talking on a forum you would be trying to bring me over to Allah. So if that were the case, do you think it would be right for me to become a Muslim?
Do you understand the question? You are Christian mainly because of geography.
No, I'm not a Christian by geography...
I'm a Christian because He saved me!
Many peoples know of a higher power...
satan does NOT want them all to know the truth!
Christ is older than Islam, and Blowing school busses up...
NOT a good thing!
The religion of peace is NOT Islam!
Yes and Amen

Richmond, KY

#102362 May 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Um, wow, that's sort of ... stupid. I mean, what you said is stupid, not how much time you think us sane people are on here.
You might be sane by "todays" um... standards,
But calling Evil, good... that's stupid!

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#102363 May 4, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>It (they) does not stop there...
They want to punish anyone that would not sell them flowers, rent them a church, or take their photos...
They WANT to rub our noses in their sins!
Just watch TV for proof!
You all really like making assertions without any evidence to back them up, first you try to assert that your imaginary friend created the universe, now some gay conspiracy nuttery. Does your delusion ever end?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#102364 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok, how is this?
How do you "think" solar systems were "formed", and from what, and what triggered it?
Did I use all the right words that time for you to actually answer the question instead of avoiding it?
You did not answer my question yet, so why should I care about yours.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#102365 May 4, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>You might be sane by "todays" um... standards,
But calling Evil, good... that's stupid!
So genocide is not evil to you? Wow, you are insane.

Location hidden

#102366 May 4, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I have read them. Neither mention Jesus Christ, crucifixion, or Mary, or any of the specific things in the story of Jesus.
I'm looking for something in the Old Testament that clearly and unmistakably says "Jesus is coming". I'm fully aware that the Jews believed in the concept of Messiah, but they flatly reject Jesus because he does not fit the role. He was not a military leader, and that is a primary element of the Messiah.
Christians retrofit ideas from the life of Christ and map them very sloppily onto the OT. They had to do this in order to convince Jews to convert.
Like a psychic huckster cold reading the sh*t out of a client, Christians point to passages that have nothing to do with Jesus as if they were prophet, usually ignoring the actual intent of the words. Kind of a perversion of the Good Book, don't you think?
No, the Jews misunderstood the scriptures. It was not foretold the He would be a military leader. Jesus came to deliver them from eternal bondage, not temporal. They had formed a perception of what the Messiah should look like and act like based off of their interpretations of scripture.

You don't know the scriptures very well either if you don't see any prophecies of Jesus. Here are some:

Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Immanuel means God with us.

Micah 5:2 (Prophecy that He would be born in Bethlehem)
But thou, Beth-lehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.

Jeremiah 33:15 (He will be born of David)
In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land.

Matthew explains His lineage from David

Crucifixion:
Isaiah 53:7 (Would not fight back or retaliate)
He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth

Psalm 22:18
They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture

Zechariah 13:6 (He would be pierced)
And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.

Psalms 69:21 (Gave Him vinegar to drink)
They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink

Psalms 22:1 (Words from the cross)
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

Psalms 34:20 (They did not break His knees like they did the others)
He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken

Bonus one:
Isaiah 40:3 (John the Baptist would come before Him)
The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.

There are many more if you want me to provide them.

Location hidden

#102367 May 4, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
You did not answer my question yet, so why should I care about yours.
I asked first, but ok,

Snow begins as a tiny ice crystal, or even a small speck of dust. When there is a lot of moisture in the air, condensation starts to occur. These tiny drops of condensation start to stick together. If the temperature in the higher atmosphere is cold enough, these tiny drops start to freeze and become ice crystals. This is how ice crystals, and eventually snowflakes, get their varying shapes. The moisture droplets cling and freeze together randomly.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#102368 May 4, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>No...
I would not!
Islam has only been around since the seventh century...
God has been around since the Beginning!
Amen!
I give up.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#102369 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Since when has it bothered you to write long answers? Haha
Start with the first second, or the seconds before the first second.
I write reasonably long answers. What you are asking for isn't anywhere near reasonable. And you are refusing to ask a more specific question. It feels and sounds like you're just trying to be totally dishonest and play "gotcha" again when I refuse to write 8000 pages of stuff that you wouldn't understand anyway. Is that what you are doing? If not, why won't you ask a reasonable question that can be answered in a paragraph.

And besides all that, you probably don't know what a quark or a gluon is, what strangeness is (in this context), what hadronization is, what flavors are, how strong/weak/EM forces work (maybe even how gravity works), and on and on. If you are deficient in understanding of ANY of those things, you just increased the amount of explanation required by 4-5x. This is not ever remotely reasonable, and I doubt I am familiar enough or a good enough teacher to actually give you any understanding of these sorts of things.

Basically, if you're trying to play "gotcha" and aren't actually interested, f*$k off. If you are actually interested, ask a question of reasonable scope or go read a book.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#102370 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I asked first, but ok,
Snow begins as a tiny ice crystal, or even a small speck of dust. When there is a lot of moisture in the air, condensation starts to occur. These tiny drops of condensation start to stick together. If the temperature in the higher atmosphere is cold enough, these tiny drops start to freeze and become ice crystals. This is how ice crystals, and eventually snowflakes, get their varying shapes. The moisture droplets cling and freeze together randomly.
So, in short, a snowflake is the result of natural processes, thus, it is not created. Why can't everything be the result of natural processes then?

Location hidden

#102371 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the Jews misunderstood the scriptures. It was not foretold the He would be a military leader. Jesus came to deliver them from eternal bondage, not temporal. They had formed a perception of what the Messiah should look like and act like based off of their interpretations of scripture.
You don't know the scriptures very well either if you don't see any prophecies of Jesus. Here are some:
Isaiah 7:14
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.
Immanuel means God with us.
Micah 5:2 (Prophecy that He would be born in Bethlehem)
But thou, Beth-lehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
In those days, and at that time, will I cause the Branch of righteousness to grow up unto David; and he shall execute judgment and righteousness in the land.
Crucifixion:
He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth
Psalm 22:18
They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture
Zechariah 13:6 (He would be pierced)
And one shall say unto him, What are these wounds in thine hands? Then he shall answer, Those with which I was wounded in the house of my friends.
Psalms 69:21 (Gave Him vinegar to drink)
They gave me also gall for my meat; and in my thirst they gave me vinegar to drink
Psalms 22:1 (Words from the cross)
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
Psalms 34:20 (They did not break His knees like they did the others)
He keepeth all his bones: not one of them is broken
Bonus one:
Isaiah 40:3 (John the Baptist would come before Him)
The voice of him that crieth in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the desert a highway for our God.
There are many more if you want me to provide them.
I am not a Bible scholar, no. But I enjoy the topic and I have studied it a bit.

I will try to reply to these individually later, if the mood strikes. But right off the bat I'm not impressed. I've seen these lists before and they are not compelling.

For example, the bit about "he will be born to a virgin"...doesn't the Hebrew word translated to "virgin" simply mean "young girl"? Not the same thing, necessarily.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the idea of a virgin birth was not initially part of the Jesus mythology. It was added a bit later. In fact, the first written Gospel was Mark and Mark says nothing of a virgin birth. Most likely the early Christians that wanted to solidify the Jewish lineage found the passage in Isaiah and argued that Jesus must have come from a virgin birth.

It is easy to retrofit this stuff. You are looking for signs and finding them because you want to find them. You ignore evidence to the contrary.

But this is the big schism between Ancient and Modern Bible interpretation. Your view of scripture is that it is perfect, harmonious, and always relevant. That is how you get things like prophecy to make sense to you. But Modern scholars apply actual scholarship to the Bible, looking for real evidence.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#102372 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This is how ice crystals, and eventually snowflakes, get their varying shapes. The moisture droplets cling and freeze together randomly.
Have you ever looked at a snowflake under a microscope? What do you think produces a complex partially or fully symmetrical unique 6 sided crystal? Randomness?

Location hidden

#102373 May 4, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>

Crucifixion:
Matthew is a New Testament book written AFTER JC. It isn't even the first of the Gospels, in terms of when they were written. You can't use that as evidence of prophecy. It would be like me winning the lottery then writing a book claiming that I knew I would win it beforehand. It proves nothing.

Also, the other passage says nothing about crucifixion. It is just a passage about affliction of some figure, traditionally thought represent Israel in general.

See, the Hebrews were writing and interpreting this stuff for a few thousand years before Christians came along. It is pretty god-damned arrogant to then claim that the Jews don't understand their own books.

It is pretty obvious why Christians NEED the OT to justify Jesus. Without it their religion is suddenly 2000 years old instead of 3000 or 4000. Back in the early 1st century CE this was a glaring danger and they knew they had to get the Jews on board, especially since Christ WAS a Jew.

But, as I demonstrated already, you can get Michael Jackson out of the Bible if you want to. It is all a matter of hunting for bits you can take out of context and making them fit what you want them to say.

Show me a verse that says "Jesus Christ is coming".
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102374 May 4, 2013
YIAGO WROTE
But my point stands. What I did in that post, through comedy, was show you the thought process behind Biblical interpretation in the Ancient tradition. You want the Old Testament to predict Jesus? Find a passage in the OT that mentions something - ANYTHING - that even remotely sounds like it could work for Jesus and BAM! You got yourself a prediction.

Well,the following are not prophecies that "remotely sound like it would work for Jesus" they specifically point toward Jesus.And there are many others.
And no,your point does not stand,because the process you used was completely erroneous.

On several occassions,Jesus stood before his adversaries and told them that the Scriptures testified of him.
None dared challenge the validity of his claim

1)"You search the Scriptures because you think they give you eternal life.... for in them you hope that you have eternal life, and they testify concerning Me,
2)Deuteronomy 18:15-18 Moses Stated
15 The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him. 16 For this is what you asked of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said,“Let us not hear the voice of the Lord our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die.”

17 The Lord said to me:“What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him

Jesus told the Pharisees
If You Believed Moses, You Would Believe Me, for He Wrote of Me
Luke 4:17-21 isaiah;61;1,2

3)17 And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written:

18 “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
Because He has anointed Me
To preach the gospel to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,[a]
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
19 To proclaim the acceptable year of the Lord.”[b]

20 Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. 21 And He began to say to them,“Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing.”

4)Psalm 22:16-18

16 For dogs have compassed me: the assembly of the wicked have enclosed me: they pierced my hands and my feet.

17 I may tell all my bones: they look and stare upon me.

18 They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.

This psalm describes crucifixion and was written about 1000 years before crucifixion was devised

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 3 min DITCH MITCH 7,049
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min American Lady 155,297
knox board of ed raising taxes 7 min vote out!! 112
David Thompson 47 min city voter 1
food stamps 1 hr YOLO 41
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 2 hr BIG_STEVIE 81,659
2012 Ginseng Prices (Oct '12) 2 hr meeee 126

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]