Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,889)

Showing posts 97,761 - 97,780 of128,542
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
AlexBirdswhistle

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
SMH
Semantics
Replace created with formed? Can you answer then?
Geez. You guys are jumping through hoops to avoid answering a question.
What is polymorphing of the covalent process of intermolecular bonding for fitty cents?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
SMH
Semantics
Replace created with formed? Can you answer then?
Geez. You guys are jumping through hoops to avoid answering a question.
Created and formed are two different things. You are avoiding answering the question, not me.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

AlexBirdswhistle wrote:
<quoted text>
What is polymorphing of the covalent process of intermolecular bonding for fitty cents?
Oh wow, you dare to use words they have to look up? Shame on you!:P
NaturalH20

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh wow, you dare to use words they have to look up? Shame on you!:P
Oh well, I had to too :-).
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet, here you are. Frenetically denying what you have written.
<quoted text>
Note that you can't maintain even the barest concept that Q does not believe gods exist and therefore "they/it/He" have/has no wants.
and here it is again. Your own words with no misquotes or out of context manipulations.
<quoted text>
Again, an atheist does not attribute any wants or beliefs to that which has never existed. Isn't it abundantly evident (even to yourself?) that despite all protestations otherwise, you are currently incapable of embracing such a thought - even temporarily and hypothetically? Can you say, "atrophied hippocampus?" Sure, I knew you could.
Still trying to explain the unexplainable by intentinally taking statements out of context and trying to fool people.
One can fool an Atheist into believing there is no God,but you can not fool a true believer.

HEY CHROMEHEAD,THIS IS WHAT I WROTE YOU TWIT
MY UNDERSTANDING OF what you posted,suggests to me that,you do not believe it is God's will to take the life of those who do not believe in him and that is why you believe God does not want anything to do with SD either,due to SD"S wish that they should die.

and here it is again. Your own words with no misquotes or out of context manipulations.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>"I UNDERSTAND TO MEAN that,you (Q, an atheist) believe that,although God doesn't want anything to do with Unbelievers or SD either,he does not believe unbelievers should be punished by death due to their disagreement with SD"s beliefs."

i UNDESTAND TO MEAN,implies ,that if I understood incorrectly,he has the opportunity of correcting me
Which he did not do
Anyhow,you asked" Can you say, "atrophied hippocampus"
And I ask you Do you know the meaning of Excrement Cranium?
I am sure you do....Guilty ba ass ociation
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think your fight is against atheist (they don't believe god exist"). I do see that your faith is strong and others who don't think you have the true church have not called you out for your beliefs that is contrary to their own. The religious ones claim that atheist are swine and dogs that you should not waste your time with.
The bible says that they are to correct false teachings about Jesus and the bible doctrine. I do not see them swinging the sword of truth against you, they are silent.
Based on what I found you are the top watchman, other religious ones cannot debate with you and are afraid.
When teaching false bible teachings:
Galatians 1:8
But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let them be under God's curse!
See how other Christians are weak in response to your beliefs.
2 Corinthians 11:4
You happily put up with whatever anyone tells you, even if they preach a different Jesus than the one we preach, or a different kind of Spirit than the one you received, or a different kind of gospel than the one you believed.
Talking about religious doctrines
1 Timothy 1:3
As I urged you when I went into Macedonia, stay there in Ephesus so that you may command certain people not to teach false doctrines any longer.
False Christians posting here.
2 Corinthians 11:13-15 ESV
For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ. And no wonder, for even Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. So it is no surprise if his servants, also, disguise themselves as servants of righteousness. Their end will correspond to their deeds.
Those who believe they have the truth do not have the courage to test the doctrines of others that I can see here on Topix. I'm disappointed by this. See below.
1 John 4:1 ESV
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world.
GWB,You have completely and pleasantly surprised me with what you posted.
It's as if I was listening to someone who is very knowledgeable about the Bible,,,and I mean that as a compliment..
The reason I am surprised and confused is that you had stated that God taught us to hate,based on one of Christ's parables..

GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
GWB,You have completely and pleasantly surprised me with what you posted.
It's as if I was listening to someone who is very knowledgeable about the Bible,,,and I mean that as a compliment..
The reason I am surprised and confused is that you had stated that God taught us to hate,based on one of Christ's parables..
Yes,not parables. See (Romans 12.9) and many other scriptures.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Created and formed are two different things. You are avoiding answering the question, not me.
Riiiiiiight.
What question was I supposed to be answering? This isn't tipsy turvy world.

So I'm guessing you don't have an answer.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Riiiiiiight.
What question was I supposed to be answering? This isn't tipsy turvy world.
So I'm guessing you don't have an answer.
Is a snowflake created or the result of water molecules freezing and their polarization causing the formation of crystal structures?

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

They hate bible study because their policy isn't built on rationality.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>NO!
Big difference...
Jesus = Love...
MoHamMud = Cut yer head off, and blow up the pieces!
I didn't say anything about what Jesus is. I said that if you and I lived in Iran and were talking on a forum you would be trying to bring me over to Allah. So if that were the case, do you think it would be right for me to become a Muslim?

Do you understand the question? You are Christian mainly because of geography.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Evidence is useless without thought. Someone else did the work for you on evolution. My point was, you are using someone else's previous thoughts to even mention evolution. Without it, you'd just do your everyday thing oblivious that there was such a thing. I say this because I know you aren't a scientist, or actively engaged in developing or testing scientific theories. But evolution wasn't the only thing I mentioned. You keep typing responses, so you are utilizing someone else's 26 letter alphabet to call me names that you didn't coin.
My point still stands that you did try to trap someone with not being able to think for themselves because they use someone else's thoughts, when you do the same.
And the funny thing is, I don't even care. I just wanted to point out that you have flaws too. It's obvious that it gets under your skin that you walked into one. Calling me stupid or a liar doesn't change that I was right. You might be able to fool a few readers, but everyone else sees it now too. Haha
Everything we say or do is most likely predicated on things we've seen or heard. Originality is on a continuous scale and some thoughts are more or less original than others.

But that has nothing to do with their veracity. We have a brain that can reason. We use that tool to evaluate what we hear and learn.

Most people who put in the time and effort to learn about evolution are compelled by the evidence and their ability to reason through it. Most people who reject evolution are, in fact, not doing that.

The very idea that belief in religion is equal in rational basis to acceptance of science is insulting to intelligence. It is not even the same kind of thought process. These are apples and oranges. You did not come to God by using reason, you came to God by emotion and a willingness to suspend your skepticism in favor of the succor of faith.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So god does not intervene in all things? Well it looks like he is not intervening at all. He is not intervening to stop massive suffering of millions. He can fix one kids ear, but fails to stop the real massive suffering?
Sorry, but my logic meter is going crazy now. Your story just fails to show justice. It fails to show fairness. The sort of traits we look at here on earth as good traits, your god seems not not have.
Should I forgo my understanding of good and bad to justify gods lack of help?
You seem to keep expecting me to forgo logic, and expect me to blindly accept this claimed god has some reasons that humans cannot relate to. Sorry, but that is code for someone to forgo logic.
Yeah, I agree. This is one of the biggest problems in these types of discussions. There are a lot of religious folks who don't actually understand what logic is or how to use it but they have a basic instinct to BE logical. So they want their faith to be logical, rational, reasonable. And it isn't. It isn't that way by very definition.

Also, the Problem of Evil that you are talking about here is the #1 offensive reason I realized the God of the Bible cannot possibly be real. All it takes is one instance of a child being raped and murdered or suffering horribly from a lethal disease and the very idea of a loving, intervening creator is absolutely undone.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
What you have proved,is what I've suspected,YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT you
are talking about and your brain needs to be overhauled.
Your response,will no doubt,make it into the NONSENSE HALL OF FAME.
It is well established that the 3 Stooges and Abbott and Costello
performed some of the most nonsensical comedy in the entertainment isndustry.
You make them look like Amateurs
Well, I truly appreciate the compliment. The Stooges were comedy legends and I am flattered to be counted among them.

But my point stands. What I did in that post, through comedy, was show you the thought process behind Biblical interpretation in the Ancient tradition. You want the Old Testament to predict Jesus? Find a passage in the OT that mentions something - ANYTHING - that even remotely sounds like it could work for Jesus and BAM! You got yourself a prediction.

It is the way they do it. Prince of Pop or King of Kings, doesn't matter.

I can do King Kong if you like.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
A tip of the hat to you sir, well done.
It was a fun way to waste fifteen minutes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Those who believe in Evolution can lay claim to the title of Illiterate Monkeys and you are right,Those illiterate monkeys are trying to shove disgusting lies down our chidrens throat.
I have looked at the topic title and at no time have I seen where you discussed those issues.
You have DISCUSSED,TIME AND AGAIN,the topic of God,that you do not believe he exists,that you want evidence that he exists,then you refuse to take the steps necessary to acquire that evidence,and you keep coming back to the subject of God,time and again...
Ant it is not just you.
So,I go back to what I stated earlier.
For someone whose mind is convinced God doea not exist,yet,their mind keeps drawing them back to that which they do not believe in,
seems odd.
Therefore my question,,,,What is your mind trying to tell you?
What is it you and your mind are searching for?
You are certainly not looking for the answer as to whether the bible should be taught in Public Schools,because that is not the issue you have been addressing.
That there is a conflict going on in your mind And it is troubling you,is reflected in the anger conveyed in your responses.
You have never asked my opinion on whether the bible should or should not be taught in public schools.
That I can recollect,no one here has.
The discussions have always revolved around the existence or non existence of GOD....Why is that?
When you talk about seeking evidence for God what you are really saying "belief" in God. You don't seem to understand how evidence and reason work together to compel the mind toward one way of thinking over another.

A rational person, when faced with a rational theory bearing overwhelming evidence is going to put his conditional trust in that theory. We do not deal in faith, we deal in the acceptance or denial of arguments.

An argument based on faith is not going to woo us. And I use the word "woo" very intentionally here because that is what the Bible gives us. Lots and lots of woo woo: talking animals, wizards, dragons, ghosts, superheroes, magical kings, zombies, etc.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Psalm 22
Isaiah 53 are great places to start.
I have read them. Neither mention Jesus Christ, crucifixion, or Mary, or any of the specific things in the story of Jesus.

I'm looking for something in the Old Testament that clearly and unmistakably says "Jesus is coming". I'm fully aware that the Jews believed in the concept of Messiah, but they flatly reject Jesus because he does not fit the role. He was not a military leader, and that is a primary element of the Messiah.

Christians retrofit ideas from the life of Christ and map them very sloppily onto the OT. They had to do this in order to convince Jews to convert.

Like a psychic huckster cold reading the sh*t out of a client, Christians point to passages that have nothing to do with Jesus as if they were prophet, usually ignoring the actual intent of the words. Kind of a perversion of the Good Book, don't you think?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The New Testament tells us why the Jews don't believe. They were so stuck in their traditions and their understanding of the scriptures that they missed Him.
They were looking for someone to be a king and free them from bondage. They assumed this meant physically and referred to Romans. But Jesus freed us from the bondage of sin by the atonement which allows us to repent and be forgiven for sins. And His kingdom is in Heaven and not on earth. He came and stirred the pot on their deep rooted traditions and made them mad because it was different from the Law of Moses.
Live sacrifice was only instituted in similitude to God's sacrifice of His Son but they missed this correlation and did not accept God's sacrifice.
So you wanted people who were actually suffering to believe in help they can't see that would only be delivered upon death? And you wonder why that was not very satisfying? Not to mention the fact that JC didn't fulfill the idea of Messiah in the way Jewish tradition taught.

But its funny that this is a point of disagreement. Kinda like nerds arguing over who is more powerful: Merlin or Gandalf.

(That would be a good fight, though...and Gandalf is handy with a sword so he could just end it.)
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If we were in Iran you would be telling me that Allah loves me. Should I then have become a Muslim?
(actually I'd be arrested by now, but the point remains)
No...
I would not!
Islam has only been around since the seventh century...
God has been around since the Beginning!
Amen!
How stupid can you be

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Are you looking for Mohammed, Allah, or Zeus? How honest, and diligent is that effort?
Tard!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 97,761 - 97,780 of128,542
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

81 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 45 min Throne 81,564
Any couples into SCAT??? 1 hr Dirty SCAT couple 1
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr Le Jimbo 146,084
legalize marijuana 3 hr ole hippy 4
Ky Biscuit Company 3 hr same here 13
GRUBB TRUCKING NEW Post 3 hr Just Watching 1
I'm looking for a hot female to playfully BED W... 4 hr Frank 15
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••