Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
97,721 - 97,740 of 128,663 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I never bought the whole "god" thing, which is why I let the church at a young age. But yeah, they reconcile their beliefs with science instead of deny science, because ... well ... let's face it, the LDS church is the most successful business in the southwestern US. Have you seen their main temple in Utah? It's got more gold than all the rappers in New York combined.
The Salt Lake Temple was constructed in the 1800's over the course of 40 years. The story of its constructing is quite impressive. But it doesn't have near the gold in it that Solomon's temple had. Temples were referred to as the Mountain of The Lord.
One interesting fact. Brigham Young did try to get the state named Deseret. But the government official that had to approve it was not very fond of Mormons, so he it named Utah after the Ute Indians in that territory.

The translation of Utah in their language is "top of the mountains".

Isaiah 2:2
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha
No I'm being a smart alic right now, but if you look back at earlier comments I've made, I don't deny science. I don't deny the idea of evolution, I just believe that God had a hand in it.
I don't believe the earth is 6000 years old. I believe creation happened over creation periods, not 6 actual days, etc.
I don't believe that things happened by chance. I believe that God had a plan, and He executed that plan.
And I believe that since He has the power and ability to create all that we can see (and even things we cannot see), then He can reattach an ear rather easily.
It just amazes me that people think everything came to be the way it is today, by chance. And if it did, what started it all? Will it self destruct at some point and start again on its own? What would it be like if it did?
Chance is simply another word for "we don't know," that is all. You use it as if it's some actual random thing, nothing is random, but no "plan" or intelligence is needed for things to behave within laws. The universe exists around the laws, not because of them, not even in spite of them, another universe could exist around very different laws, but none of that matters to us, nor would knowing if an intelligence played a role in the start of the universe. That's what you still don't get and I mentioned this to you once already. Knowing the "who" or the "what" does not effect the "how," and thus, even if your religious nonsense was correct, it would have zero bearing on scientific research. However, the problem is, you present no evidence to support your religious stuff, thus it is, rightfully and sanely, dismissed as mythology.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>No, the OT was written at the same time, idiot.
Whoa, who told you that? Even atheists don't believe this.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Why can't you avoid anthropomorphizing natural processes?
I'm just asking you to clarify. Active listening means you repeat back to someone what they just said in your own words. That's what I was doing.
Lets just start over then. In your words, how did suns and planets come to be? How did they begin to orbit in an incredibly consistent manner (I won't say perfect)? And how did we come to exist?
And did all this happen under the direction of a being, or on its own?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

gary wrote:
<quoted text>
No im Gary I still have not found god
Where have you been looking?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
If the words "believe that" is offensive to you, due to the faith connotations, simply think of it as the "i hold the opinion that" (as that was the definite of "believe" that I intended to use). Do recognize that 4 is just as illogical as 1, at least for the question of "God", as written. If we extend that all things in the Bible must be true in order for that God to exist, then you are absolutely correct that we have evidence to disprove the existence. But that's not quite what I asked. Sorry for the confusion, but I was simply asking about "A God", not specific KJV God.

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
Yes, so your body morphed from dying stars and hot air?"

Not air, gas. But yes, stupid. Read a book. I don't know how you can exist in this world and not be aware of those things.
I'm aware that there are theories surrounding this. But which is correct? What happened in sequence? I want to know what you guys believe. I have answered each of you on what I believe. And I haven't told you to go read the Bible. Do me the same favor. You can include all the name calling if it helps you. I know it's hard for you to speak without insult.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm aware that there are theories surrounding this. But which is correct? What happened in sequence? I want to know what you guys believe. I have answered each of you on what I believe. And I haven't told you to go read the Bible. Do me the same favor. You can include all the name calling if it helps you. I know it's hard for you to speak without insult.
I don't Believe anything... I look at the evidence and base my views on the most rational hypothesis I can of the totality of that evidence... The Best, most rational, logical explanation that fits with and is not dis-proven by the evidence... No Belief required.... At anytime all such hypothesis can be sat aside and completely discarded, replaced with the acquisition of additional evidence... Evidence that can be Verified by any un-biased tester, Tested by any un-biased observer and reproduced by any un-biased experimenter....

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't recall anyone from Monticello or surrounding area being credited for any major scientific breakthroughs so I would have assumed it was you.
Yes, science is only done by people that make the news. Clearly you know all about this stuff.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Listen, I hate to waste any more of your precious time. I know you have other morons to insult and world problems to solve and all, but just one question.
I thought you said that everything came from amino acids. So if not, what did everything we see come from?
If you hate to waste my time, then why won't you go back and READ?
Let me show you what you said:
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
My belief that a creator created us is no less plausible, and has no less proof than the belief that we all came to be from nothing.
The primary points being "created us" and "we all came to be". Not "created the planets and the universe" or "all of existence came to be". So, since YOU were obviously not speaking of the whole universe or planets or whatever (or at least NO reasonable person could gather that you were), I responded with:
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
we came to be from complex chains of amino acids (with many associated theories of the exact process), and there is infinitely more evidence to support this possibility than what you believe.
So, I was still on topic here (how we came to be). Answering questions. Dealing with ignorance. As always. Your response? Here you go:
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
And how did amino acid turn in to everything we see from a solar system that operates perfectly, to planets, to humans?
This is a combination of so many logical fallacies that I'm not going to bother counting. Or maybe it's just pure willful ignorance.
Either way, if you want to talk f*#king science, stay on topic and quit moving the goalposts or changing the scope every time you look stupid/wrong. If you honestly want to know something, quit being an offensive douchebag and simply ASK. I can't believe that you haven't noticed that I don't insult without being insulted or lied to. Don't take your broken understanding of some topic and try to play gotcha with people who have known better for decades. You will continue to look like an idiot science denialist. I don't want that. I want you to get better. I want you to understand science and logic.

If you want to talk faith, however, I don't want to hear it. Your faith is of no value to anyone here, and it doesn't have anything to do with the question that this topic begs.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The translation of Utah in their language is "top of the mountains".
Isaiah 2:2
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
Stop blindly believing church propaganda. Does that really sound like a plausible thing to you? And even if it WERE the word, do you think that it fulfills some prophesy? Really?
I'm pretty sure that the people of the Ute tribe have stated unequivocally that the term wasn't even a part of their language, but some bastardized word that outsiders called the people. It meant "animal eaters" or something of the sort. If I've known of this lie for decades, how is it that you do not?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just asking you to clarify. Active listening means you repeat back to someone what they just said in your own words. That's what I was doing.
Lets just start over then. In your words, how did suns and planets come to be? How did they begin to orbit in an incredibly consistent manner (I won't say perfect)? And how did we come to exist?
And did all this happen under the direction of a being, or on its own?
No, you are anthropomorphizing things to avid the reality of it. A common tactic employed by people who employed by people using the fallacy of ignorance. We are chemical processes, chemical processes tend to be started by chemical reactions.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe in nothing. I accept only what has solid evidence, not just hearsay. Saying "god dun it" is not an answer, when science discovers a real answer, you can say "god dun it that way" and at least then you'd be closer to sane. But Mormons think women are to be owned and treated like possessions, thus, your opinions are to be insulted.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
If the words "believe that" is offensive to you, due to the faith connotations, simply think of it as the "i hold the opinion that" (as that was the definite of "believe" that I intended to use). Do recognize that 4 is just as illogical as 1, at least for the question of "God", as written. If we extend that all things in the Bible must be true in order for that God to exist, then you are absolutely correct that we have evidence to disprove the existence. But that's not quite what I asked. Sorry for the confusion, but I was simply asking about "A God", not specific KJV God.
<quoted text>
Not air, gas. But yes, stupid. Read a book. I don't know how you can exist in this world and not be aware of those things.
Not offensive to me, just wanted to clarify I'm not big on believing. Of the gods that I have read about none are real, but there are thousands of gods, I have not and may not ever get to read about some of them, my guess would be they are delusions also.

http://www.godchecker.com/

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>Chance is simply another word for "we don't know," that is all. You use it as if it's some actual random thing, nothing is random, but no "plan" or intelligence is needed for things to behave within laws. The universe exists around the laws, not because of them, not even in spite of them, another universe could exist around very different laws, but none of that matters to us, nor would knowing if an intelligence played a role in the start of the universe. That's what you still don't get and I mentioned this to you once already. Knowing the "who" or the "what" does not effect the "how," and thus, even if your religious nonsense was correct, it would have zero bearing on scientific research. However, the problem is, you present no evidence to support your religious stuff, thus it is, rightfully and sanely, dismissed as mythology.
So if we admit neither of us know if an intelligence started it or not, where do we go from here?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>I don't Believe anything... I look at the evidence and base my views on the most rational hypothesis I can of the totality of that evidence... The Best, most rational, logical explanation that fits with and is not dis-proven by the evidence... No Belief required.... At anytime all such hypothesis can be sat aside and completely discarded, replaced with the acquisition of additional evidence... Evidence that can be Verified by any un-biased tester, Tested by any un-biased observer and reproduced by any un-biased experimenter....
Ok, so now answer the question please

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So if we admit neither of us know if an intelligence started it or not, where do we go from here?
We look for real answers.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
If you honestly want to know something, quit being an offensive douchebag and simply ASK. I can't believe that you haven't noticed that I don't insult without being insulted or lied to.
This is a lie right here. I didn't start insulting you first and you know it. You decided to join a conversation that was already in motion and immediately started calling people idiots, morons, and nutjobs.
But anyway, I've halfway learned how to ignore the childish insults, so I was trying to ask.
Let me ask again.
Since humans couldn't have come into existence before the solar system, and I thought you'd make that correlation, let me ask you how you think stars and planets came to exist and mingle with each other in gravitational fashion? Then how did humans form from amino acids?
And, what started the chain of events? And do you think this randomly happened or there could have been an intelligence behind it all?

There are many theories out there about these things, I realize that, but I'm asking you what you believe.(And yes Crom Man, I'm using that word for simplicity)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>No, you are anthropomorphizing things to avid the reality of it. A common tactic employed by people who employed by people using the fallacy of ignorance. We are chemical processes, chemical processes tend to be started by chemical reactions.
Do you know the definition of that word?
I'm not humanizing inanimate objects. Can you just answer my question?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>I believe in nothing. I accept only what has solid evidence, not just hearsay. Saying "god dun it" is not an answer, when science discovers a real answer, you can say "god dun it that way" and at least then you'd be closer to sane. But Mormons think women are to be owned and treated like possessions, thus, your opinions are to be insulted.
Wow, you guys say Christians avoid answering. I'm not trying to trap anyone here. Just answer.
If you don't like the word believe, substitute some other word that means an admission that you don't really know, but think happened based off of evidence.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you guys say Christians avoid answering. I'm not trying to trap anyone here. Just answer.
If you don't like the word believe, substitute some other word that means an admission that you don't really know, but think happened based off of evidence.
Well, since I do not say I know something that is not based on solid evidence, then I do not need to admit to anything.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
Yes, so your body morphed from dying stars and hot air?"

You say in this post that I don't like the word believe, though I've fully admitted my faith, which is basically belief. But have you noticed the atheist response to the word believe??
None of us witnessed these events in this current state of mind, so evidence or not, we still have to make a guess at some of the key points of the beginning of everything. Evidence takes you to a certain point but then theories have to be developed, and there are several theories. No one really knows for sure.
What word would you prefer I use in this case other than believe?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know the definition of that word?
I'm not humanizing inanimate objects. Can you just answer my question?
Anthropomorphizing is exactly what you are doing. You only understand one type of "formation method" thus you use only that type to describe anything. Answer this: Is a snowflake created or the result of water freezing and the polarization of the molecules shaping the ice into elaborate crystal formations?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

81 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
jon h 21 min Resident 17
Truddy 1 hr John Deer 4
Anthony Smith 1 hr Childish 3
Maggie Mills is on meth really bad she has sore... 1 hr John Deer 12
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 1 hr Listen Up 26,188
whats wrong with stephanie Mills from gregory l... 1 hr just curious 2
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Immigration 146,284
Stivers Center fixes 1 hr smokejumper 49
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE