Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 164648 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#102468 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Again, I suppose the Jews expected as much due to the tradition of King David and Moses doing the same. This is why Jesus supposedly had to have ties of blood relation to King David. As if the blood line held some magical power. As if a god had to impregnate someone that was a descendant of king David. Or was it Joseph that was the descendant? Well the new testament claims they both were, in order to cover that base.
See why this all sounds like a comic book to us?
Maybe if the prophesy was a bit less vague, the Jews would accept your claims. Maybe the holy ghost will not tell them until after they already believe the story?
Oh yeah, you're talking about the whole Lineage of My Fathers crossover storyline, right? That started in Jesus Christ Superhero #232 and continued in Prophecies #500 (triple sized issue!). But I thought the tie-in to the old Moses Mayhem #22 was kinda lame.

Though bagged and mint it is worth $27.22.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#102469 May 5, 2013
So, my multilingual mockings have been reported/deleted, yet that nutball's stuff is still up. Interesting.

No matter. Since the rest of my stuff gets ignored and I don't feel like writing more, I'll just post some of my favorite quotes that are relevant to this topic:

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”

“To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.”

“Imagine the people who believe such things and who are not ashamed to ignore, totally, all the patient findings of thinking minds through all the centuries since the Bible was written. And it is these ignorant people, the most uneducated, the most unimaginative, the most unthinking among us, who would make themselves the guides and leaders of us all; who would force their feeble and childish beliefs on us; who would invade our schools and libraries and homes. I personally resent it bitterly.”

“People are stupid. They will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true.”

“There are young men and women up and down the land who happily (or unhappily) tell anyone who will listen that they don’t have an academic turn of mind, or that they aren’t lucky enough to have been blessed with a good memory, and yet can recite hundreds of pop lyrics and reel off any amount of information about footballers. Why? Because they are interested in those things. They are curious. If you are hungry for food, you are prepared to hunt high and low for it. If you are hungry for information it is the same. Information is all around us, now more than ever before in human history. You barely have to stir or incommode yourself to find things out. The only reason people do not know much is because they do not care to know. They are incurious. Incuriosity is the oddest and most foolish failing there is.”(This applies regardless of what you choose to call yourself here.)

I guess once they get home from chilling on pews and being hypocrites they can come back, read this, and fail to understand them all.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102470 May 5, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
1) Edited for space

I had problems that I was unable to resolve and though I wished that they could be resolved,they were not,I was neither able to solve them or wish them away.
The prayer that resulted in the return of my dog;
The results did not convince ,maybe it was a coincidence..maybe not...The events that took place,TO ME,were very perplexing.
Subsequently I've had to face other problems that I could neither solve or wish away.
I turned to God again and my prayers have been answered,time after time,within the same hour when I was praying or within a day
Now God said,before they are through talking,I will answer their prayer,
I understand that to mean that,God will create a way to solve the problem as I am praying,as he understands my needs without my having to voice them;
MATT 6;7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them,
FOR YOUR FATHER knows what you need before you ask him
So,given that,I have tested God's instructions and achieved the results he said I would,my faith in him has been strengthened.
In effect,if someone keeps their word and delivers on their promise,time after time,you learn to rely and trust in that person,in this case God
I do not see him,but,I can not argue with the results,because they are there for me to see.
They are not an illusion or a figment of my imagination...They are evidence that someone,somehow,heard my prayer and answered it.
The answer did not come about as a result of wishful thinking,my emotions had nothing to do with the results,neither did my feelings..
Now,those who may not have had those experiences,may find it difficult to understand and try to explain the results ,based on what they think,not on what they know,
I base my faith based on what I know as a result of my experiences.
Anyone trying to explain these events,based on what they think,without ever having experienced them,
is not qualified to state an explanation,
If one does not understand something,then,one is not qualified to explain it
If one basis their opinion on only believing that which they want to hear and only hear what they want to believe,they are automatically disqualified,,,,That type of analysis is illogical.
Space restrictions will not allow me to answer your questions fully.
If you want to know why I believe GOd speaks to me and how he does that,let me know.I will give you an answer
PS My illiterate monkey comment is to be ignored. That was my sarcastic response to a sarcastic comment made by the now invisible and can not be found SP
I understand why you believe this is a god answering prayers, but I do not see a god, nor do I think any events are caused by god.
Now when Hindu's pray and get the same claimed results as you, does that mean their is a Hindu god also or maybe it is just a flawed perception of cause and effect?
If you think magic happens due to prayers, then of course when an event occurs that you prayed for, you might assign that cause to the god you prayed for. This happens for every religious belief ever invented.
Science can show humans have flawed perceptions at a steady rate. We take mental notes of successes 80% more often than failures. We remember the successes.
So with this in mind, it stands to reason you are dismissing the failures of your prayers at a higher rate than the failures, thus you likely feel god is in your favor.

Also it stands to reason what you pray for is something you likely work for to succeed. So your actions are also causing some of these things to happen in your favor.

I often get upset when people attribute someones good deeds to a god. The person doing the good deed is marginalized and thus might be less motivated to help in the future.

So maybe give yourself and others the credit instead of some entity that cannot actually be known to be real.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#102471 May 5, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That"invisible ,imaginary being"whom you claim does not Exist,is the same being that Atheists constantly talk about.
You are unable and unwilling to keep him off your mind.
Maybe Science,in which you place so much faith, has an explanation for your mental condition.
A Freudian slip;A verbal mistake that is thought to reveal a repressed belief, thought, or emotion
I talk about Star Wars with friends quite a bit. Some days I can't get it off my mind.

Does that mean I believe in The Force and Yoda?

When we are actively discussing the question about God we pretty much have to mention God. Does that equate to belief in God? Because if it does, I'm pretty sure we're sucking at it. Y'know, trash talking the deity and all.
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#102472 May 5, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
He actually answered your question pretty succinctly and as honestly as possible. Science is not religion. It does not have a book of All The Answers™ that we can flip open and interpret however it suits us.
It requires actual work.
actually the bible doesn't claim to have all the answers either.

in fact it hints that there are many other books that could be written regarding the personality jesus alone; let alone, on the subject of INFINITE INTELLIGENCE>

Ecclesiastes 12:12
And further, by these, my son, be admonished: of making many books there is no end; and much study is a weariness of the flesh.

John 21:25
And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102473 May 5, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You want me to base my response on christian love,while you feel free to make idiotic comments on a subject that you do not understand.
Not able to understand,you base your response on your ignorance,not on your knowledge of the subject.
If you want to insult me,be ready for a reply that you will not like...
If you have nothing constructive to say,then,mind your own business...
So you do not base your life upon Jesus' suggestion that you turn the other cheek?
Strange that Jesus would still answer your prayers when you turn against his wishes yet billions have massive suffering and their prayers go unanswered.

Is it good that either one of you are being nasty with each other? No, but if you are claiming some moral high-ground, or trying to show your god is favoring you with magical acts, it stands to reason you are proving yourself as having a false perception.
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#102474 May 5, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I talk about Star Wars with friends quite a bit. Some days I can't get it off my mind.
When we are actively discussing the question about God we pretty much have to mention God. Does that equate to belief in God? Because if it does, I'm pretty sure we're sucking at it. Y'know, trash talking the deity and all.
so you don't believe in the force? or you don't believe force can have consciousness?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102475 May 5, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Looks like another indication of false perceptions.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102476 May 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So .... you felt bad about something, looked for a quick fix, and thought you found it in some snake oil.
Every person who's won the lottery and prayed to Jesus for it WON! Billions of people have prayed for God's forgiveness so that the Earth won't be wiped out by another global Great Flood, and it hasn't! Every single soul who believes in the Holy Bible and prays to Jesus has been Blessed with a state of Grace and Faith in God - Every single soul! And you claim there isn't a Miracle? You don't find it incredible that you were born on the ONLY planet known to support life? If it wasn't for God, there is a 1 in 8 chance you could have been born on Mercury or Jupiter - and you are't even a little bit thankful! How can you not be Amazed that your car keys are Always in the Last place you look?! What are the odds of THAT?!
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#102477 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Looks like another indication of false perceptions.
limitations of relativity to know

How fast do quantum interactions happen? Faster than light, 10,000 times faster.

http://www.livescience.com/27920-quantum-acti...
Farkus

Louisville, KY

#102478 May 5, 2013
OK. ANYONE? ANYONE? ANY ONE Christian want to try answering my question...

"If you have children, what would your child have to do that would make you put them in a box, pour gas on them, and light your own child on fire?

This is what YOU believe that your Sky God is capable of...and you call it LOVE!

Pathetic.
Jaz

United States

#102479 May 5, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the OT was written at the same time, idiot.
OMG, speaking of an idiot! You have to be joking. Change to a subject you know something about!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102480 May 5, 2013
Farkus wrote:
So...can even ONE Christian PLEASE answer this question? JUST ONE!!!
I come on here to ask it every once in a while, but I never get an answer, just some good ole Christian name-calling and bashing.
Here goes...again:
For those of you who have children, WHAT would a child of yours have to do for you to place them in a box, pour gas on them, and then light them on fire?
You couldn't? BUT your God can! But He loves you. Now that is some funny stuff.
And this father(god) does this to all just because they do not believe in him. Well if a father refuses to show his face, I expect the son to have some disbelief in him.
The double standards of religion are constant and needed to circumvent reason and logic.
Farkus

Louisville, KY

#102481 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And this father(god) does this to all just because they do not believe in him. Well if a father refuses to show his face, I expect the son to have some disbelief in him.
The double standards of religion are constant and needed to circumvent reason and logic.
Exactly.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102482 May 5, 2013
Raina wrote:
<quoted text>In no place did God say the He demands that you serve Him! When you are saved you find yourself wanting to serve Him and your life to be pleasing in His sight. He demands that all men come to repentance. The capacity He wants you to serve Him in is in doing the will of the Father. Must I explain what that is?
So when Moses had three thousand of his own people slaughtered for making that golden calf, that was not in the spirit of god demanding worship and to be served?
Or is it that one of the main men of your belief system is just a mass murderer?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102483 May 5, 2013
love all wrote:
I believe it would be wonderful! If you teach a child while young about God, He may stray but will always return back to him. It would teach the kids right from wrong to have faith and never give up and to always love one another.
Well yes, statistically a child will believe in whatever god, prophet or deity you teach him. 80% do stay in that belief system for life.
Now does this mean the god(s) are real? Nope.

One can be taught to do good without a god.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102484 May 5, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Where are you getting this idea that Jesus was not challenged?
And why would it matter?
If Sally Brown, a popular British psychic, went on TV and claimed that she predicted the Boston bombing months ago and nobody challenged her on it would that mean it was true?
What if she said in 2012 "In 2013 in the US there will be a terrorist event that causes many casualties"? Would you then say that she was a genuine psychic? Because you are believing in Jesus' foretelling based on much, much weaker evidence.
During the time that Jesus was executed and the Christian faith was beginning to evolve into existence they were constantly challenged. Hell's bells, you guys have persecution parades every day. You LOVE the idea that people are suppressing you. You look back at your own history and talk about how the Christians were constantly being persecuted.
Yet nobody challenged Jesus or his followers? F*ck's sake, they killed him didn't they?
All we have is a one sided tale of the story anyway, so if the claims of the bible are the only ones "curious" is going by, then of course he cannot know what the Jews actually said, did or thought.
Just seems strange to me that the stories of the Jews told of this deity coming and the deity could not convince them that he was the one. It is as if he was not powerful enough to convince them.
It is as if Jesus was just like another David Koresh of his time.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#102485 May 5, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That"invisible ,imaginary being"whom you claim does not Exist,is the same being that Atheists constantly talk about.
You are unable and unwilling to keep him off your mind.
Maybe Science,in which you place so much faith, has an explanation for your mental condition.
A Freudian slip;A verbal mistake that is thought to reveal a repressed belief, thought, or emotion
When the majority of your countrymen believe in a deity and so many of them make demands based upon the deity, it stands to reason the non believers would talk about it a lot. But believe it or not, many atheists do not talk about it much. But of course you ignore this fact entirely.

This thread is about a demand based upon your deity, thus my point has some basis.
stinky toe cheese

Ermine, KY

#102486 May 5, 2013
Farkus wrote:
OK. ANYONE? ANYONE? ANY ONE Christian want to try answering my question...
"If you have children, what would your child have to do that would make you put them in a box, pour gas on them, and light your own child on fire?
This is what YOU believe that your Sky God is capable of...and you call it LOVE!
Pathetic.
When I can't, I know I have a God that can. Who loves me and does what "man" can't understand. Attempting to justify the grace he has shown me is something I cannot do. I can only feel in my soul that it's there. I can post 5 million messages here and you may have a scientific explanation for why each is wrong.. or books that have information disclaiming the existence of a higher power. Chemical analysis that carbon dates the existence of whatever and a telescope that says my "sky god" isn't there. Consider this though,,, what separates our line of thinking,,, is Faith. If I'm blind and the sun shines,,, I still feel warm. I don't have to see the sun,,,, or the son,,, to know they are real.
harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#102487 May 5, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well yes, statistically a child will believe in whatever god, prophet or deity you teach him. 80% do stay in that belief system for life.
Now does this mean the god(s) are real? Nope.
One can be taught to do good without a god.
yet the child might transfer the belief of god to the teacher.

where is your god now?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What does the Bible actually say about Abortions? 50 min The Specialist 3
Marriage Laws in America. 1 hr Aunt Belle 6
Trump better watch North Korea. 1 hr Short Timer 37
super ears 1 hr The Specialist 6
Wildcat truck stop drug flea market 1 hr Simple As That 10
billfold 3 hr billfold 1
Cracker Barrel coming to Barbourville ? 3 hr Leroy 37
what happened to shannon mills 19 hr The Specialist 19

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web