Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,183

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#102224 May 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The scriptures show that if the masses were to all attempt to live righteously, and pray to end suffering, He would grant it. Show me one country that is united in the worship of Him, and I'll show you a country without suffering.
OR... logic shows that if the masses were to all attempt to live righteously, and not pray at all, suffering at the hands of others would be gone anyway. Prayer does nothing in your scenario, as is always the case.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102225 May 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Your statement here is why I cannot believe in your god. This is just a massive excuse for god not doing what one would actually expect from a real god.
It is a sadistic concept that one must have massive suffering in order to be a good person or learn what one needs to learn.
I think their is massive suffering that is doing zero good for anyone. I guess if you are not the one suffering, it is easy for you to think the suffering was worth it somehow.
Tell that to the child who was hungry and or abused for his entire short life.
Sorry, but I cannot forgo my sense of justice.
So you are blaming God for a child being hungry? What about the child's family? They have no responsibility to feed the child?

Location hidden

#102226 May 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If we truly seek Zeus, we will find.
If you spend your time looking for proof of Zeus, you will waste your time. If you spend your time talking to Zeus and following His direction, you can know Zeus is real, and that Zeus loves you and cares about you.

Now can you understand why this seems silly to me?

First, I already know this propaganda. I once drank this cool aid. What I once thought was a god making me feel things, I now understand was just feelings of what I thought were true.
I now understand how our brain causes feelings. I understand our thoughts can cause physical reactions in our bodies. The brain is a powerful thing. If it did not have this power, we would not be what we are,(humans). Even animal brains cause physical reactions. Their is no mystery here. Maybe their is one to you, but you have shown a large disdain for science, so I can understand you likely do not know how the brain works.
I'm just telling you what I believe.
I don't have a disdain for science, but there are areas that science cannot answer.
My belief that a creator created us is no less plausible, and has no less proof than the belief that we all came to be from nothing.

Location hidden

#102227 May 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Did you follow the ways of Zeus?
And your statements show you do not have the humility to think their might not be a creator.
After studying Christianity, I have no faith in their beliefs, but for some reason, you tell me I must do more than just study the religion.
Just showing the double standards.
I can't believe that we all came to exist from nothing. I look at the complexities in everything and cannot believe this happened by chance, or from nothing.

Location hidden

#102228 May 3, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
Haha
I poked the bear and sent you in a hysterical tirade.
That was my only reason for pointing out your hypocritical statement.
I enjoy pointing out flaws of the arrogant.
Mission accomplished.

Location hidden

#102229 May 3, 2013
Misty Morn wrote:
<quoted text>Amen! He has not yet considered, let alone resolved to the fact that he is the one people think is stupid. Not necessarily because he IS stupid but because he has never learned how to live among normal people. Because he habitually refers to people as stupid idiots and liars he somehow believes that it makes it fact. He has truly esteemed himself higher than the rest. Not so unlike Lucifer. Head knowledge but no heart?.. Fail.
Exactly. Typical bully approach. Demean everyone else so you feel superior.

Location hidden

#102230 May 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>The example I posted was precisely from such a list. And as you can see it is absolutely NOT a prophesy of Christ unless you just want to say it is.

I glanced through the rest of the list and didn't see any passages that said "And lo Jesus Christ shall be born"

I'm very familiar with how Bible interpretation goes. You find a passage that has some word or turn of phrase that you can construe into something that would not contradict Christ and you call that a prophesy of Christ. "And so it came to pass that a man called Jo walked the troubled land of Canaan"....see, the "Jo" is just short for Jesus and "Canaan" is an allegory for the whole world, which was troubled...CLEARLY this is prophesy of Christ!!

Yeah, know how that game is played.

Like I said, show me the money.
Psalm 22
Isaiah 53 are great places to start.

Location hidden

#102231 May 3, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>When you say I "do not understand" what you mean is I don't believe. I understand very well.

"Genesis 48:14
But Israel reached out his right hand and put it on Ephraim’s head, though he was the younger, and crossing his arms, he put his left hand on Manasseh’s head, even though Manasseh was the firstborn."

Here we see that God, through Jacob, is using his right hand to bless the child of Jacob who would be greatest. This is reflected in the fact that Michael Jackson wears a glove on his right hand.

The Book of Mormon also supports the idea that Michael Jackson was foretold in prophesy:

1 Nephi 11:13 (Mary) "... she was exceedingly fair and white."
1 Nephi 12:23 (Prophecy of Lamanites after Christ) "... became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations."
1 Nephi 13:15 (Gentiles) "... they were white, and exceedingly fair and beautiful, like unto my people [Nephites] before they were slain."
2 Nephi 5:21 "... a sore cursing ... as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them."

Clearly Jackson's lightening of skin color over the years demonstrates his divine nature, as supported by the Mormon text.

"Deuteronomy 8:6
Observe the commands of the Lord your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him."

Jackson's iconic moonwalk is directly foretold in Deuteronomy. As Jackson moonwalked, so did a generation of followers, just as commanded in the Bible.

"Deuteronomy 33:14
with the best the sun brings forth and the finest the moon can yield;"

Again, a reference to moonwalking here in Deuteronomy. Michael Jackson was the “best son” of his father Joseph Walter "Joe" Jackson. His moonwalk was a symbol of his divine origins and a fulfillment of this passage.

"Ezekiel 5:2
When the days of your siege come to an end, burn a third of the hair inside the city. Take a third and strike it with the sword all around the city. And scatter a third to the wind. For I will pursue them with drawn sword."

This is an altogether sad portent of the Prince of Pop for it describes the maladies and trials he faced from an eraly time in his career. The siege refers to the time before Jackson became known to the world as a holy man of his own right. The burnt hair clearly and unmistakably refers to the incident when he burned his hair in a Pepsi commercial. The striking of the sword refers to the way people used to make terrible jokes about Jackson being gay or being a p*ssy. The third scattered to the wind reflects the tireless life of a performer, jetting from place to place to spread his gospel even as these terrible afflictions pursue him.

"Genesis 37:3
New International Version (NIV)
3 Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made an ornate[a] robe for him."

This refers to the famous “coat of many colors”. Again we see a direct reflection of Jackson's future when we consider that he too donned an ornate jacket, replete with shiny zippers and red as fire.

I don't know how I can make it any clearer. Michael Jackson was foretold in the Bible, and even the Book of Mormon. Just like Jesus, but with better dance moves.
You put air of thought into this. Bravo, but wrong, and proves nothing.

Location hidden

#102232 May 3, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, I will give you that one, good job. So then why do the Jews not believe in the Jesus as a deity? Is the holy ghost not answering them?

From what the old testament says, I can see why the claims of the new testament are what they are. Does this mean any of the things happened as claimed? No. Maybe this is why the Jews do not believe in the Jesus?
The New Testament tells us why the Jews don't believe. They were so stuck in their traditions and their understanding of the scriptures that they missed Him.

They were looking for someone to be a king and free them from bondage. They assumed this meant physically and referred to Romans. But Jesus freed us from the bondage of sin by the atonement which allows us to repent and be forgiven for sins. And His kingdom is in Heaven and not on earth. He came and stirred the pot on their deep rooted traditions and made them mad because it was different from the Law of Moses.
Live sacrifice was only instituted in similitude to God's sacrifice of His Son but they missed this correlation and did not accept God's sacrifice.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#102233 May 3, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously,you do not understand what you read.
Quantum wrote;No... Some of us enjoy the banter and the comedic relief of poking the delusional ....
And for the......
Quantum wrote(("You are such a idiot filled with wishing those that disagree with you to die that God doesn't want anything to do with you either....))))
(((" No, I WAS VERY AWARE of what my mind was saying and there was nothing subliminal about it....)))
Only a delusional mind would read into it other than what it states because I am not the one praying for anyone to die,
<quoted text>Curious
I did not say that you were the one praying for any one to die.
In your statement,you said
"You are such a idiot filled with wishing those that disagree with you to die that God doesn't want anything to do with you either ,Thereby,implying that there is someone else He does not want anything to do with,other than,SD.
The other,would have to mean,those who disagree with SD, those being non believers or Atheists.
My understanding of what you posted,suggests to me that,you do not believe it is God's will to take the life of those who do not believe in him and that is why you believe God does not want anything to do with SD either,due to SD"S wish that they should die.
The either part,I understand to mean that,you believe that,although God doesn't want anything to do with Unbelievers or SD either,he does not believe unbelievers should be punished by death due to their disagreement with SD"s beliefs.
If I understood you correctly,then, what is the basis for your stating that God does not want anything to do with SD either.....and does your statement mean that God wants nothing to do with Atheists either.
After all is said and done,it would appear that QM thinks you have a delusional mind...
He wrote what his mind told him..Period,,,,Nothing about sarcasm
It's not About Sarcasm, It was Sarcasm ..

Location hidden

#102234 May 3, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>OR... logic shows that if the masses were to all attempt to live righteously, and not pray at all, suffering at the hands of others would be gone anyway. Prayer does nothing in your scenario, as is always the case.
No, logic shows that without prayer and revelation from God, the mass will not stay on the same page and have the same desires, so their own desires will coerce them to want different things and then that mass will no longer be united. Then you end up with the type of society we know today.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#102235 May 3, 2013
Raina wrote:
<quoted text>Can you possibly ever reply as an adult instead of a childish smarta$$? Your idea of cleverness is very immature and not to be taken any more serious than it sounds. Grow up. The very reason some think you are all the same person. The whole atheist cheering section sounds exactly the same. I see one of you write a comment and then see it repeated by the others on here. You need to become more individual. It's as though you all are reading from a script.
Script?
curious: "The tire is round!"

Yiago: "that tire is flat."
SP:"the tire is flat."
SS: "that's a flat tire."
YaA: "You kill babies! God is real!"
KN: " JW.org "
KK: "that is a flat tire."
Umm: "that's one flat tire."
Q: "yup."
do whut: "It's only flat on the bottom. Brigham would have flipped it over."
Yoda: "Flat, that tire is."
Proven Science: "%$*#?%^&@*^!!! &^%NY*,^&%$g&*! "
CM: "it's a flat tire."
random monikkered religie:
whumplump whumplump whumplump....

“See how you are?”

Earth

#102236 May 3, 2013
oops, obviously KN = KF

Location hidden

#102237 May 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You put air of thought into this. Bravo, but wrong, and proves nothing.
Wrong? How so?
All humor aside, the reasoning that Yiago used sounded just as "logical" as what I hear from Christians defending their proposed "fulfilled prophecies" of the OT.
Raina

Monticello, KY

#102238 May 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The only thing I disagree with is that marriage helps someone stay monogamous. I'm not ignoring your point, I just disagree with it.
Also, I never said to deny gays the same rights. Please don't assume that is my stance.
Have to disagree a little either way. Might as well allow them to marry. It would only be civil anyway. They would never be joined as one flesh by God. It would be a three ring circus to have a big Church wedding and married by a preacher as many gays want the right to. God would never be present at this abominable ceremony. People do have the right to live in sin. That is their choice. That in no way makes it right. It is merely fulfilling the lust of the flesh.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#102239 May 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm just telling you what I believe.
I don't have a disdain for science, but there are areas that science cannot answer.
My belief that a creator created us is no less plausible, and has no less proof than the belief that we all came to be from nothing.
You don't understand science. Your belief requires that a unimaginably powerful and complex being of unknown origin exist and that they created us utilizing forces that we have no proof exist. The other belief is a strawman that nobody really believes. A true alternative hypothesis would be that we came to be from complex chains of amino acids (with many associated theories of the exact process), and there is infinitely more evidence to support this possibility than what you believe.
Essentially every widely studied non-religious concept that has been utilized to explain the beginnings of life on Earth are more plausible and probable than yours.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't believe that we all came to exist from nothing. I look at the complexities in everything and cannot believe this happened by chance, or from nothing.
Nobody says "from nothing". That's the creation of people like you, because it's easy to "argue from incredulity" against (and this seems to be a valid form of debate for religious people who don't understand logic).
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I poked the bear and sent you in a hysterical tirade.
That was my only reason for pointing out your hypocritical statement.
I enjoy pointing out flaws of the arrogant.
Mission accomplished.
Sounds legit.

You are far more arrogant that I will ever be. I will never act as though I know enough to state that an imaginary being exists. Yet here you are, doing just that. That's the pinnacle of arrogance.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly. Typical bully approach. Demean everyone else so you feel superior.
I don't demean. I demonstrate how you are inferior (generally through choices, not biology). You try to do the same, but fail because your assumptions are incorrect. You assume that you are on a level playing field.

Not even remotely.

Also, anyone that actually thinks I'm "stupid" is not a person of sufficient worth for me to care about their opinion. Especially when they are a grudge holding nutcase.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, logic shows that without prayer and revelation from God, the mass will not stay on the same page and have the same desires, so their own desires will coerce them to want different things and then that mass will no longer be united. Then you end up with the type of society we know today.
Do you read ANYTHING? I said logic shows that IF ________ THEN _______. I don't give a crap about what you presuppose society would do in any other scenario. I don't get how a person consistently "debates" so dishonestly and then tries to act superior.
Raina wrote:
<quoted text>It would only be civil anyway. They would never be joined as one flesh by God.
You say God created all, and allowed all things to happen. And two gay men can be just as "joined as one flesh" as any man and woman. So I think that means your statement is completely false.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102240 May 3, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not About Sarcasm, It was Sarcasm ..
You are lost and backtracking,in order to find your way back,unfortunately,to now claim that your remarks were being sarcastic,totally contradicts what you stated before
Quantum wrote(("You are such a idiot filled with wishing those that disagree with you to die that God doesn't want anything to do with you either....))))

(((" No, I WAS VERY AWARE of what my mind was saying and there was nothing subliminal about it....)))

((Only a delusional mind would read into it OTHER THAN what it states because I am not the one praying for anyone to die))

Nowhere in what you said,is the word sarcasm stated;

But that's ok.
I believe I know where your mind is coming from and understand your efforts to explain the unexplainable,by contradicting yourself.
But I took you at your word and did not give it any meaning,other than what you stated

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#102241 May 3, 2013
If you aren't familiar with it, study the bible. You might learn something.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#102242 May 3, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>

I believe I know where your mind is coming from and understand your efforts to explain the unexplainable,by contradicting yourself.
But I took you at your word and did not give it any meaning,other than what you stated
Mind your 9th commandment "Christian." OBVIOUSLY when an atheist refers to "God" when responding to a religie, he is doing so strictly in a hypothetical context - one which relates to the religie's definition and not his own. You construe this as some wholly illogical proof that atheists are actually deists? Your true colors are showing, and they are all shades of brown.
Boats are regarded as "she's." Do you therefore automatically pounce on the notion that they literally have XX chromosomes, vaginae, uterus and lactating mammary glands? Of course not. By attempting to win an argument by any means necessary, you are engaging in blatant dishonesty.
Bad religie! Bad!

“See how you are?”

Earth

#102243 May 3, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
If you aren't familiar with it, study the bible. You might learn something.
Oh - thanks for stopping in Brain_D.

B_D: "A tire? Burn it and make CO2! It's good for the economy!"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
pullets and cocerels for sale, adult Buff Orpin... (Jun '13) 5 hr Deena 4
Pamela Hatfield, Michael Ramey, Brad Combs 5 hr Mother of the Year 1
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 6 hr Butter bean 23
Mike Smith For Sheriff (Feb '14) 8 hr crazy 227
teena Marie mills 9 hr infoman 9
Cody Carnes 9 hr Proof 7
Emily Collins 11 hr john 3
praying it's all a lie Thu Just the truth 5
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Wed dad 52
Barbourville Dating