Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,232

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102143 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure I can admit I may be wrong. I don't have all the answers. I'm sharing my beliefs.
Well, I believe that God does cause miracles, so if you require a different source, why would you ask me to provide it?
I am sharing what I believe or do not believe. I do not believe a god has ever caused a miracle. Funny thing is, you said god is not responsible for these miracles earlier. Are you again changing the claim? You jump back and forth on this claim so much, I wonder if you are just forgetting what you said earlier or are just confused of what the doctrine says on the matter.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102144 May 2, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>So, you really think that evidence = thoughts? And you really think that's what a straw man is?

You're stupid. Seriously. Dude.
If evidence fell in someone's lap, there was thought involved. Even if it fell in someone's lap, there was thought involved. You didn't come up with all the things I mentioned yourself, so you utilize other people's thoughts. So if you accuse someone else as not being able to think for themselves because they utilize other people's thoughts, it's pot calling the kettle black.

And I didn't bring up the term "straw man", you did.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102145 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I could admit I'm wrong. But I think I'm right so I will continue my path until shown otherwise, same as you.
What evidence do you want? That God is real? That there is one true church? That Jesus was the Son of God? Which one?
Unlike yourself, I do not claim either way whether their is a god or not. I claim I do not think their is one. Think is the operative word. "Think" is a word that shows humility. "Know" is a word that can show hubris, especially when you claim to know yet have zero evidence.
So do you know god is real or is it just something you think is true?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102146 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well evidence a god exists at all is a must if one is to even think of a "true church". Even then if evidence is slim to none about god, to claim one church is more true than another is just another claim that has zero basis in reason, logic, and certainly evidence.

I know Mormons make the claim often. Maybe more so than others, yet have no more evidence than any other church, which is zero.
Again, I cannot forgo my logic to have faith in such a zero evidence based concept.

You have simply proven to me yet again, their is zero evidence of a god.
We utilize scripture, prophecies, and the Holy Ghost to compare what Jesus taught and set up, to what is active doctrine in different churches to determine which church is closest to the truth. We don't sit around thinking about evidence for the existence of God. We already accepted that or we wouldn't be believers.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102147 May 2, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response is a RED HERRING,,,look up it's meaning.
You and many others say that you want evidence of God's existence,
and God has provided you a way by which you can attain that evidence, if you really want to know him
When you really want something,you make every effort possible to get it....
You need ask yourselves,When have you ever made an honest effort to seek God?
Your response is,in no way,relevant to whai I posted.
I never said I wanted eviidence of Zeus Existence,I never said I wanted evidence of Allah Or Mohammed.
Since I did not ask,nor am I interested in,therefore there is no need for me to DILIGENTLY seek an answer
It is you hypocritical Atheists,who say,that you want evidence,and when told how that evidence can be attained,refuse to do so
In other words,you will not accept any answer,unless it is the one you want.
That is why you are hypocrites and illogical
If you think I have not looked for evidence, you do not understand a single post I have made here on this thread.
My statement simply showed most believers are hypocritical when they ask if I have looked for god.
Can you show I have not looked for a god? Of course you cannot, but you certainly admit not looking for certain gods and have not looked at certain claimed prophets for truth.

If real evidence of a god existed, no one would need what is known as faith to be religious. From what I can tell, all claims of evidence of a god are just mind games. Anyone that understands how the mind works knows these are just games, not reality.

Anyone who can see all religions use the same mind game to claim truth can see some must be false. I am sure you claim Islam is false. I am sure the 9/11 terrorists thought they had the same sort of evidence of a god as yourself. They trusted this evidence so much they did an incredible deed that most of us cannot even comprehend how one can do such a thing. And you wish for me to use that same sort of faith?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102148 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am sharing what I believe or do not believe. I do not believe a god has ever caused a miracle. Funny thing is, you said god is not responsible for these miracles earlier. Are you again changing the claim? You jump back and forth on this claim so much, I wonder if you are just forgetting what you said earlier or are just confused of what the doctrine says on the matter.
I don't remember saying God isn't responsible for miracles. I don't believe I did, because I don't believe that.

You are entitled to your beliefs. I won't even slam you for them or question your sanity or tell you you are going to hell. That's not what I'm about.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102149 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Unlike yourself, I do not claim either way whether their is a god or not. I claim I do not think their is one. Think is the operative word. "Think" is a word that shows humility. "Know" is a word that can show hubris, especially when you claim to know yet have zero evidence.
So do you know god is real or is it just something you think is true?
I know, but only because of my experiences with the Holy Ghost and priesthood.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102150 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We utilize scripture, prophecies, and the Holy Ghost to compare what Jesus taught and set up, to what is active doctrine in different churches to determine which church is closest to the truth. We don't sit around thinking about evidence for the existence of God. We already accepted that or we wouldn't be believers.
The scriptures are just claims of what happened. Their is no evidence of most of the claims in the book. A few that may have come true were not what I would call a prophesy, I would call them obvious predictions.
Do you think any church is not using the same reasoning as yourself? I think they all do, yet not all can be correct. All could be wrong though. Yet all claim as you do that they are correct. Absolutely none have any real evidence. Claims are not evidence.

And no, I do not think any of you sit around thinking of the existence of god. I think you have always assumed a god existed without thinking about it. I think this is part of the problem, if not the whole problem. I think the 9/11 hijackers never once thought they might be no god. This is a huge problem.
When people are so darn sure their beliefs are true but have zero actual evidence of the truth, this is likely to lead to huge problems.
This is why I have a problem with faith.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102151 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't remember saying God isn't responsible for miracles. I don't believe I did, because I don't believe that.
You are entitled to your beliefs. I won't even slam you for them or question your sanity or tell you you are going to hell. That's not what I'm about.
Well maybe I will go back to find the posts on it.
BTW, you said I had no humility for my beliefs.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102152 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, but only because of my experiences with the Holy Ghost and priesthood.
So your humility does not allow you to question whether this holy ghost thing just might be your own thoughts?
I think the lack of doubt is a big problem.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102153 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The scriptures are just claims of what happened. Their is no evidence of most of the claims in the book. A few that may have come true were not what I would call a prophesy, I would call them obvious predictions.
Do you think any church is not using the same reasoning as yourself? I think they all do, yet not all can be correct. All could be wrong though. Yet all claim as you do that they are correct. Absolutely none have any real evidence. Claims are not evidence.

And no, I do not think any of you sit around thinking of the existence of god. I think you have always assumed a god existed without thinking about it. I think this is part of the problem, if not the whole problem. I think the 9/11 hijackers never once thought they might be no god. This is a huge problem.
When people are so darn sure their beliefs are true but have zero actual evidence of the truth, this is likely to lead to huge problems.
This is why I have a problem with faith.
I went through my period of wondering if God was real. Once I received my witness from the Holy Ghost, one that I could not deny was from God, I began looking for the right church. I believe I found it. It seems to be the most accurate in accordance with scripture (which I believe to be true).
I do not believe that God intends for us all to be lost when trying to find His true church. If we truly seek, we will find.
If you spend your time looking for proof, you will waste your time. If you spend your time talking to God and following His direction, you can know He is real, and that He loves you and cares about you.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102154 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well maybe I will go back to find the posts on it.
BTW, you said I had no humility for my beliefs.
I said you need to have humility to open the door that He may exist. This is all it takes to begin a path to knowing God.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#102155 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If evidence fell in someone's lap, there was thought involved. Even if it fell in someone's lap, there was thought involved. You didn't come up with all the things I mentioned yourself, so you utilize other people's thoughts. So if you accuse someone else as not being able to think for themselves because they utilize other people's thoughts, it's pot calling the kettle black.
And I didn't bring up the term "straw man", you did.
Evidence is not thought. Evidence simply is. I could go out and dig up bones if I chose to. I'm not kidding... you are either stupid or dishonest to keep acting like they are the same, much less in any way related.

I didn't "accuse" anything. Quit being a liar. I asked questions to point out how another person was making false claims, they refused to provide an answer because they knew they would be demonstrating that they lied. "Pot calling the kettle black" does not apply in ANY way here, because the entire point of what I posted was to get that person to demonstrate that they were lying. I am not lying about anything.

And of course I brought up strawman, because it's what you do every time you mischaracterize my statements. I also used the term correctly. You have yet to do so, and it makes you look stupid to people who know what logic is. I guess it's a good thing for you that nobody here who doesn't already disagree with you would fit that bill.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't sit around thinking about evidence for the existence of God. We already accepted that or we wouldn't be believers.
So you already accepted the existence of God based on faith (and therefore evidence is not required), or you already accepted that there was sufficient evidence to state that God exists?
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the lack of doubt is a big problem.
The Bible tells you not to doubt!(James 1:6, Romans 14:23, etc.) Duh!

I'm beginning to think that there is literally no way to have an actual debate here. I held out hope for a couple, but that has pretty much passed now.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#102156 May 2, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So your humility does not allow you to question whether this holy ghost thing just might be your own thoughts?
I think the lack of doubt is a big problem.
When you spontaneously learn things that you couldn't possibly have known on your own, while offering a blessing for someone else, you know it isn't your own thoughts.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102157 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, no it's pretty clear when they describe Him, the way He would be born, the miracles He would perform, and the way He would die and rise again.
The Jews believe Jesus was no god due to the fact he died, period. Thus it stands to reason the scriptures never predicted the death you speak of. Can you show the specific scripture?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102158 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm saying the trends will be the same. Marriage does not carry the weight it once did, sadly.
I think marriage is great. But I already made the monogamous choice before marriage. Gays could do the same.
So because marriage does not seem to you that it carries the same weight it once did, you refuse to allow homosexuals to have the privilege?
I already agreed one can be monogamous without marriage, but that proves nothing to my point. You keep ignoring my point as if I made no point. Fact is, even though some people do not honor their marriage vows, it does help to make such vows in a legal manner that is accepted by society. It helps one to be monogamous. It helps whether one might could do it without marriage or not.
The fact you keep ignoring this point shows your views must not be very thoughtful.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#102159 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I went through my period of wondering if God was real. Once I received my witness from the Holy Ghost, one that I could not deny was from God, I began looking for the right church. I believe I found it. It seems to be the most accurate in accordance with scripture (which I believe to be true).
I do not believe that God intends for us all to be lost when trying to find His true church. If we truly seek, we will find.
If you spend your time looking for proof, you will waste your time. If you spend your time talking to God and following His direction, you can know He is real, and that He loves you and cares about you.
It's seriously like you speak another language. No kidding. It's like "let's take this word that everyone knows the definition of. now let's give it our own crazy definition and just start using it like that!".

If you expect ANYONE to take what you just wrote seriously, at least use real words the real way. Explain what you're talking about. For example, I "truly seek" my car keys quite often. I utilize my senses and brain and search for them. Based on what my senses collect and my brain determines from that, I usually find what I'm seeking. Those words mean something that a non-brainwashed individual understands. If you'd like to use them to mean something else, don't. Explain it better using real words that real people use. Just copy/paste it all and change the non-English to normal Americanized English.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I said you need to have humility to open the door that He may exist. This is all it takes to begin a path to knowing God.
Exactly what do you think my position is? Have I EVER said anything to the contrary? No. That would be in no way logical. So what are you even grasping for now?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102160 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I told you that I have received a testimony that Jesus is the Son of God. This is contrary to Muslim teaching. Therefore I can conclude that it is not the full truth that I seek.
Evidence is all around you. To me it is sad that people believe that the complexities of the galaxy, or even the human body, or any creature, happened by chance with no intervention from a superior creator.
For you to reject this, and demean others that have found faith, this to me is a recipe for pride that blinds you from finding God.
The fact zero evidence exists of a god creating any of the things you listed is why I do not believe a creator must have created them. First it stands to reason the creator must need a creator if a creator is needed for what you listed. It is sad you think a god needs no creator. It is sad that you automatically assume magic is the answer. It is sad you expect me to think magic was the only way it could exist.
I have never seen magic in the sense it is anything other than a trick or illusion. So why would I think tricks or illusions create the things you listed?
Most scientists do not believe it takes magic to create these things and they study this stuff in ways that boggle the mind.

And what is this "testimony"? Sounds again like thoughts in your head. Now call that demeaning if you will, but I am not going to sugar coat this debate to spare your ego.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#102161 May 2, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not showing you doctor's statements from this. I will not reveal my mother n law's identity. Sorry
Where is this lacking logic?
Oh, well you cannot show evidence, how convenient. Sorry, but I do not take outrageous claims as truth without evidence. I know you do, but we are very different people.
Some claim a man rose from the dead after three days. Why should I accept this outrageous claim with zero evidence?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#102162 May 2, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No... Some of us enjoy the banter and the comedic relief of poking the delusional ....
And for the "You are such a idiot filled with wishing those that disagree with you to die that God doesn't want anything to do with you either...." No, I was very aware of what my mind was saying and there was nothing subliminal about it.... Only a delusional mind would read into it other than what it states because I am not the one praying for anyone to die, I'm Pro Life to the Max....
I did not say that you were the one praying for any one to die.
In your statement,you said
"You are such a idiot filled with wishing those that disagree with you to die that God doesn't want anything to do with you either ,Thereby,implying that there is someone else He does not want anything to do with,other than,SD.
The other,would have to mean,those who disagree with SD, those being non believers or Atheists.
My understanding of what you posted,suggests to me that,you do not believe it is God's will to take the life of those who do not believe in him and that is why you believe God does not want anything to do with SD either,due to SD"S wish that they should die.
The either part,I understand to mean that,you believe that,although God doesn't want anything to do with Unbelievers or SD either,he does not believe unbelievers should be punished by death due to their disagreement with SD"s beliefs.

If I understood you correctly,then, what is the basis for your stating that God does not want anything to do with SD either.....and does your statement mean that God wants nothing to do with Atheists either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jason hughes son 1 hr Jason cuzzo 1
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 1 hr _Zoey_ 3,610
hau mings mexican restaurant 1 hr bugs r us 2
dinky phipps 2 hr Edozier 18
Who is Winston tye seeing now....... 3 hr Lee 15
What do you think 4 hr Just sayin 1
Who is the best looking woman in knox co. (Feb '10) 4 hr Just sayin 188
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 24 dad 52
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:03 am PST

Bleacher Report10:03AM
Eifert out for Season After Having Recent Shoulder Surgery
ESPN11:57 AM
Bengals TE Eifert will not return this season
Bleacher Report11:44 PM
Denver Broncos: Why the Run Defense Isn't a Concern
Bleacher Report 5:39 PM
Steelers' DB Health Could Swing AFC North Finale
NBC Sports 9:21 PM
Ten with Tafoya: Andrew Whitworth