Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,871)

Showing posts 97,401 - 97,420 of127,992
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
We're still waiting for someone to show these things. Still waiting for any evidence at all that your bible is true.
Why do some of you people insist on ignorantly lumping ANY category of book, as specifically belonging to anyone person, or group of people, in particular?

Is it too difficult to understand, that some people merely view ALL books, as books, and accept them just for what they are, books, that can be read and gleened form by anyone, no matter the race, creed or colors of the readers of?

If I read a Qu'ran in a library, does that make it "my" book? If I read the Torah, does that make it "my" book? If I read the BOM, does that make it "my" book?

I mean really, assumptions like those, must be a pretty ignorant state to have to exist in.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then the law would cease to exist and lots of people would get hurt.
No one "wants to" stop at red lights and stop signs. They do so because the alternative to stopping is worse. That is how choice and "free will" operates. If this, then that, weigh the options.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Then the law would cease to exist and lots of people would get hurt.
Are you starting to grasp some concepts of some of the GOOD that some of these "book" type things can offer now?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>No, that is not true.

You are talking about a subject called Ancient Interpretation. It is the way people used to read the Bible, as scholars, before more information was known and before the Enlightenment.

By that way of reading you can easily make an argument that OJ Simpson was foretold in the Hebrew Bible. This is because of the incredibly broad way that things were interpreted. They would read a passage in Genesis that was puzzling, then find something in some other book that could be construed to reflect it in some way. Or vice versa.

There's an example of this in the Jewish tradition. The story of Abraham being told to kill his son. In that story there is no mention of Satan at all. But the Jewish interpreters, using the same kind of methods you probably are basing your ideas on, found that there was a word at the beginning of the story that meant "things" but could also mean "words". So they said "These words came before" or something like that. So then they said, that must mean there was something said prior to the story. What could it be? So they searched and found the book of Job and the tale of Satan challenging God. So then they assumed that the "words" that came before MUST have been Satan challenging God to test Job.

So their interpretation was that God was basically taking a bet with the devil, like he did in Job. That would give him some reason to do this terrible thing.

But that isn't in the text. Anywhere.

And that is one example of how you can get Jesus from a text that never mentions Jesus.
Uh, no it's pretty clear when they describe Him, the way He would be born, the miracles He would perform, and the way He would die and rise again.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh, huh. I use a "moniker" for real world anonymity, and a single registered account for forum identification. With a modicum of effort, anyone can find what precisely what I, ChromiuMan with the Escher print, has said to whom about what and when. Then there are those who prefer to use multiple aliases and AKA's. Pretending to be a multitude? Ashamed of mistakes? Fearful of responsibility? The basal motivations are likely furtive and deceitful, either way.
Answer: None of the above. Aside from the already aforementioned reasons of irrelevancy, it lessens the chances of zealot hater FREAKS, in being able to stalk anyone.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Howabout wrote:
<quoted text>
add Bite me then, to "Get away".
In this instance you may assume that the me part of the phrase, is a rock, covered in donkey dung frosted with glittery specks of lye compound washing powder, previously dipped in rancid terlet water, sauteed in year old goat lard, left out to cultivate it';s own microbes, in the sun of Ra.
Quite the self portrait. I see you have far deeper identity issues than I could have imagined. Some say prayer and meditation is cathartic. Would you consider turning to God?
If I were to say "Bite me" you may assume that the "me" part of the phrase looks a little like Escher would have if he'd put on about 40 lbs.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do some of you people insist on ignorantly lumping ANY category of book, as specifically belonging to anyone person, or group of people, in particular?
Is it too difficult to understand, that some people merely view ALL books, as books, and accept them just for what they are, books, that can be read and gleened form by anyone, no matter the race, creed or colors of the readers of?
If I read a Qu'ran in a library, does that make it "my" book? If I read the Torah, does that make it "my" book? If I read the BOM, does that make it "my" book?
I mean really, assumptions like those, must be a pretty ignorant state to have to exist in.
You worship the book, you claim it's claims are all true, it's your book. Now, where's that evidence supporting the claims made in that book?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you starting to grasp some concepts of some of the GOOD that some of these "book" type things can offer now?
Yeah, sorry, we are not ever condoning stoning one's children to death nor allowing such a law to be written ever again. Your book is wrong on morals, because it doesn't learn.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I reckon since I! made the point, I had to have had comprehension enough prior to making it- "duhmmy".
So you don't get the point (ChromiuMan's). You are an idiot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer: None of the above. Aside from the already aforementioned reasons of irrelevancy, it lessens the chances of zealot hater FREAKS, in being able to stalk anyone.
LOL. You are a paranoid idiot.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
What if no one wanted to stop at red lights or stop signs?
Duhmmy.
How is that relevant?
You are an idiot. Please keep posting, this is great.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
So the answer is paranoia.
Sorry, using multiple nicks wouldn't stop a stalker. If someone tracks your internet protocol and media access control address, it doesn't make any difference what you call yourself. The best way to avoid an escalated confrontation is by being rational, reasonable and respectful in the first place. I'm sorry, I understand that would take all of the fun out of your posting. Don't feel alone, tho - from what I've seen across Topix, well over half of the other religious posters feel the same way.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

You know what... this is just stupid. Completely stupid. I think it's time to clarify positions here. So, please, tell me which of these matches you:
1. Believes there is sufficient evidence to prove God's existence.
2. Does not believe that there is (or does not know if there is) sufficient evidence to prove God's existence, but has absolute faith in God's existence regardless.
3. Does not believe that there is (or does not know if there is) sufficient evidence to prove God's existence.
4. Believes that there is sufficient evidence to disprove God's existence.

These are all encompassing, so there is no need for discussion yet. Please, just give a number.

I am 3.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, sorry, we are not ever condoning stoning one's children to death nor allowing such a law to be written ever again. Your book is wrong on morals, because it doesn't learn.
There ya go again-still stuck in ignotard mode.

Okay, so we'll try another approach-

I find your OT hangups to be loathesome.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't get the point (ChromiuMan's). You are an idiot.
Too proud to admit-SOME (not all) women can think logically?

Got it.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
So the answer is paranoia.
Sorry, using multiple nicks wouldn't stop a stalker. If someone tracks your internet protocol and media access control address, it doesn't make any difference what you call yourself.
Well there ya go-a deterrent for some at least.

Now quit mucking the IO channels, "just because ya don't see it...." ya moron.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
How is that relevant?
You are an idiot. Please keep posting, this is great.
"I can only explain it to you...but I refuse to THINK for you!"

Worm.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
There ya go again-still stuck in ignotard mode.
Okay, so we'll try another approach-
I find your OT hangups to be loathesome.
"The best way to avoid an escalated confrontation is by being rational, reasonable and respectful in the first place. I'm sorry, I understand that would take all of the fun out of your posting."

On the one hand, we have those who claim that the New Testament fulfilled the covenant and the Deuteronomic and Mosaic Laws are done.(We can now eat catfish, blutwurst, pork and lobster with impunity.) On the other hand, 300 years ago, Christians were burning people at the stake, 150 years ago Christians were owning people and 21 months ago (Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day), Christians were all about quoting Leviticus.
"OT hangups?"
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
You know what... this is just stupid. Completely stupid. I think it's time to clarify positions here. So, please, tell me which of these matches you:
1. Believes there is sufficient evidence to prove God's existence.
2. Does not believe that there is (or does not know if there is) sufficient evidence to prove God's existence, but has absolute faith in God's existence regardless.
3. Does not believe that there is (or does not know if there is) sufficient evidence to prove God's existence.
4. Believes that there is sufficient evidence to disprove God's existence.
These are all encompassing, so there is no need for discussion yet. Please, just give a number.
I am 3.
5. Irrelevant, people are individuals, that can think and speak for themselves, as well as define their own categories of thought, which when all "encompassed" is actually none of any one's business anyway.

I am a number 5.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 1, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"The best way to avoid an escalated confrontation is by being rational, reasonable and respectful in the first place. I'm sorry, I understand that would take all of the fun out of your posting."
On the one hand, we have those who claim that the New Testament fulfilled the covenant and the Deuteronomic and Mosaic Laws are done.(We can now eat catfish, blutwurst, pork and lobster with impunity.) On the other hand, 300 years ago, Christians were burning people at the stake, 150 years ago Christians were owning people and 21 months ago (Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day), Christians were all about quoting Leviticus.
"OT hangups?"
Mmmm..catfish. For some though, as rough on the gut as watching some of that dark age..under a rock, barbaricness of being mired in OT Mental_ity is.

To the actually already enlightened anyway.

Have a nice day,plebeians, lol.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 97,401 - 97,420 of127,992
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

17 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 hr just 144,926
I have nothing to say.. 3 hr Tehee Candor 3
What happened at the dollor store in flat lick ... 3 hr Johnny 2
Barbourville topix 4 hr Rumors 7
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 4 hr 75 Scorpio 3,740
Fight 5 hr Brothers Market 1
KC Basketball Coach 5 hr Great 65
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 8 hr Butt head 383
•••