Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
97,321 - 97,340 of 130,550 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#101878 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you know the history of Utah?
There wasn't a soul living in that area but Ute Indians. I can't speak for Washington, but for Utah, It would not be the same without Brigham taking tens of thousands of Mormons there.
I am sure white men would have gotten their sooner or latter. And when I say "White men" Brigham made sure to make it all white men.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#101879 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I thing God does follow logic, but not our version of it. Your comment represents a lack of humility in that there could be a creator, one greater than you, and that is the equivalent of pride in this situation.
And no I have no faith in Zeus, and after studying Islam, I have no faith in their beliefs.
So you failed to use the logic of Islam? It is not your logic, so you surely passed it over by testing it with human logic.
And yes, I am using sarcasm to show your logic of god having different logic is illogical.

Did I say their could not be a god? No, so why do you assume that is what I think? Show me evidence of a creator god first, then judge to see if I am just hubris.

I tried to use the example of Zeus to your questions to me, but for some reason you see no connection.

BTW, I think their are lots of things and people that are greater than myself. So tell me again just what I said that leads you to conclude pride is a problem with me?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101880 Apr 30, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me explain,for the last time,how illogical your explanation is.
Maybe you will finally understand.
If,I had come to you,with the problems I've had to faceand asked you what I should do,here is what you would have suggested,based on your analysis
I should be patient,have faith and wait for the possibility,that, perhaps,at some point in time,by chance or coincidence some event will take place,that may resolve my problem.
WTF? How did you get that from what I said? When did anyone on here suggest that you should have done nothing?
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let us remember that placing your faith in the hope ,that by chance,some event may happen,is called ,being superstitious.
Again...WTF? In what universe is that a definition for superstitious? Believing that there are supernatural causes for events is being superstitious. Although you did at least use the word "faith" in your definition, so I'll give you partial credit for that.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let us also remember the huge difference between may happen and WILL happen.
Your solution is definitely not very reassuring and that all I have to do is hope.Nothing else is required on my part.
I'm running out of WTFs. Again, how the heck did you get that from what I said? Action is required on your part. Thought is required on your part.

Prayer is the same as doing nothing, and you have not provided evidence otherwise.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
So,instead I turn to Scriptures and ....etc etc
So, once again you avoid the question(s) put to you. Instead, you deflect and attempt to distract. As I suspected you would.

I agree with ChromiuMan, I'm not here to "shake anyone's faith" either. To be honest, I don't care what you believe. I don't know you and for all intents and purposes, what you believe affects me nil.
I just have a problem with people like you who make ludicrous claims in an attempt to influence others.
You are a charlatan. And a lousy one to boot.

Location hidden

#101881 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>It is extremely unlikely it happened at all. This is why we expect evidence of the claim. The more unlikely the event, the less likely one would believe it with no evidence.
I was first hand witness to the second one. What other evidence do you require?

Location hidden

#101882 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well that does not answer any of my questions. Did you have a point with this statement? I do not see it having a single thing to do with what I was talking about.
You said what you thought caused all the different religions with similarities. So I said what I think caused it.
How did you not follow that??

Maybe we have too many conversations going on with each other. Lets simplify to one ping ping type exchange with one question at a time.

Location hidden

#101883 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Some evidence instead of just claims with zero evidence would be a nice start.
I would love for some logic to accompany the story.
I'm not showing you doctor's statements from this. I will not reveal my mother n law's identity. Sorry
Where is this lacking logic?
EveIntheGardenof

Hazard, KY

#101884 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am sure white men would have gotten their sooner or latter. And when I say "White men" Brigham made sure to make it all white men.
Possibly one of the earliest documentations of 18th century religious rebellion combined with early American political agenda...hehe :-).

Brigham Young, ca. 1850
Brigham Young

Brigham Young later in life

Brigham Young was born June 1, 1801 in Whittingham, Vermont. He was the ninth of eleven children, growing up in an unsettled frontier environment characterized by frequent family moves to various communities throughout upstate New York. Despite the influences of a strict, moralistic family and being exposed to the religious fervor that characterized the "burned-over-district " of upstate New York, he was slow to associate with a particular religious denomination until he formally joined the Methodist Church in 1824. His formal education was minimal and he was apprenticed to be a carpenter, painter, and glazier-trades which he used to support himself. In 1824 he met and married his first wife, Miriam Works, by whom he had two daughters.

By 1830 he was living in Mendon, New York where he first came in contact with the teachings of the newly-formed Mormon Church. However, he did not submit to baptism until 14 April 1832 and only then when other members of his immediate family joined. He found Mormonism appealing in its emphasis on Christian primitivism, its millennialistic orientation, authoritarianism, certain Puritan-like beliefs, and the fact that it offered him an avenue to achieve status and recognition through its lay priesthood.
EveIntheGardenof

Hazard, KY

#101885 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No offense meant :-).

Location hidden

#101886 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you are, this is why you use terms for what you believe that do not sound like you believe crazy stuff as much. This makes us think it no less crazy though. But I understand it helps you justify believing in magic.
If you just think I'm crazy, then maybe we should end this exchange?

Location hidden

#101887 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Was it worth alienating us no racists to believe in your religion? Seems to me if it actually turned a single person away from a "true" church, god would never have allowed Brigham to put into policy racist ideas as he did.

Now obviously it turned many a black persons away, but surely it turned many other people away also, due to them using logic to determine truth instead of magical ghosts.
Do you even know what 1850 was like in America?
EveIntheGardenof

Hazard, KY

#101888 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Because no matter how some might wish to stick a stereotypical label of "racism" on the HISTORY of...there were undoubtedly, MANY other factors of those mid 1800 years in US History-like trans Missouri migration.

http://etc.usf.edu/maps/pages/3300/3328/3328....

Location hidden

#101889 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but I really did not understand anything about this statement. You abstain from marriage? Are you writing faster than you are thinking or am I missing something? Really, this makes no sense.
You are saying that allowing marriage for gays will help them become more monogamous. I am pointing out that this is NOT the case for heterosexuals.
Today we see more people abstaining from marriage, waiting way longer to get married, having children out of wedlock, and the highest divorce rates ever.
I point this out to ask you if you really think the trend will be any different with gays?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101890 Apr 30, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF? How did you get that from what I said? When did anyone on here suggest that you should have done nothing?
<quoted text>
Again...WTF? In what universe is that a definition for superstitious? Believing that there are supernatural causes for events is being superstitious. Although you did at least use the word "faith" in your definition, so I'll give you partial credit for that.
<quoted text>
I'm running out of WTFs. Again, how the heck did you get that from what I said? Action is required on your part. Thought is required on your part.
Prayer is the same as doing nothing, and you have not provided evidence otherwise.
<quoted text>
So, once again you avoid the question(s) put to you. Instead, you deflect and attempt to distract. As I suspected you would.
I agree with ChromiuMan, I'm not here to "shake anyone's faith" either. To be honest, I don't care what you believe. I don't know you and for all intents and purposes, what you believe affects me nil.
I just have a problem with people like you who make ludicrous claims in an attempt to influence others.
You are a charlatan. And a lousy one to boot.
Spektakals,I want to thank you
If,a Christian would have said that about me,I would have been offended.

The fact it came from an Atheist makes me feel good.

Something you are not able to understand at this time.
StarttheStove

Hazard, KY

#101891 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you even know what 1850 was like in America?
Cow pattie? lol.
StarttheStove

Hazard, KY

#101892 Apr 30, 2013
EveIntheGardenof wrote:
<quoted text>
Because no matter how some might wish to stick a stereotypical label of "racism" on the HISTORY of...there were undoubtedly, MANY other factors of those mid 1800 years in US History-like trans Missouri migration.
http://etc.usf.edu/maps/pages/3300/3328/3328....
A time which also included many "Exodusters" via migration routes to Kansas, aka "Kansas fever"!

Location hidden

#101893 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So man contracting it from monkeys makes it mans fault, how? Who gave it to monkeys?
I do not blame god because I do not believe a god have ever done a single thing, ever. But it does seem strange believers never blame god. They attribute all good to god, but give him a pass on all bad. Pretty selective perceptions.
And why does any of this matter to why your god does nothing to fix the massive problem again?
The only two stories I've ever heard was someone had sex with a monkey (which I doubt) and that someone was doing tests with monkeys and got injured and somehow swapped blood with a primate. Either way, man is to blame.
It sounds like you aren't accepting the answer that God does not intervene in all things.
EveintheGarden

Hazard, KY

#101894 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but I really did not understand anything about this statement. You abstain from marriage? Are you writing faster than you are thinking or am I missing something? Really, this makes no sense.
Simplify, read the last line of that paragraph. It reiterates EXACTLY the biggest part of the underlying issue(s) that have been not-so-prolifically vociferated since Obama has been in office.

Too bad the individual options elements were tossed, and a quick jump instead, made for just more robbing-hoodieTic tax and fine the above tables, honest wage earning, tax paying lower working class masses, before even reaching the tables for discussion, eh?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#101895 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I meant that there could be planets orbiting those stars, not inhabitants on the star itself. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking faster than I was typing. I think it is likely that there are other solar systems that orbit their own sun and I'm sure conditions on some of them would be livable like ours.
And I agree about the trinity.
There is no confusion. For all you or I or anyone else knows, suns may well be inhabited. Even worlds that despite all odds should to be lifeless frozen cinders may harbor something that is life, lifelike or completely unrecognizable as such. Human analogs on Goldilocks worlds with their own Moses, Abraham, Jesus, Mohammed, Buddha, Joseph Smith? For those who believe an imperceptible, ever present, omnipotent, omniscient, beyond eternal deity rules your next heartbeat and the remotest mote of creation, why should those things seem impossible or even slightly unlikely?
As far as christening the dead, the worms crawl in, the worms crawl out... I'm sure they haven't noticed. If it doesn't bother them, it doesn't bother me.

Location hidden

#101896 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Sounds like you are seriously contradicting yourself. If god never intervenes on earthy affairs, then your miracles are not of god?

Not sure what gods timeline has to do with anyone being comforted as they suffer for a lifetime. Sounds extremely selfish, with a lack of empathy or sympathy.

So punishment is not for you to decide, so? I am not asking you to decide, I am asking why you do not care for fair justice? Why would you think I should not care for fair justice? Again you ignore critical thinking and logic to blind faith.

Seems to be your answer for all things you claim that lack logic.
Now tell me why you are not a Muslim?
Because miracles normally come from prayer requests.

Sometimes we need to go through some things to make us stronger. Kinda like the caterpillar to butterfly analogy.

And why isn't it fair justice? You are choosing not to even try to believe in Him.

If you have to ask why I'm not Muslim, then we need to be talking more about doctrine
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#101897 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The only two stories I've ever heard was someone had sex with a monkey (which I doubt) and that someone was doing tests with monkeys and got injured and somehow swapped blood with a primate. Either way, man is to blame.
It sounds like you aren't accepting the answer that God does not intervene in all things.
The whole mess started in the Garden of Eden with Satan's lie. Adam and Eve plunged the whole human race into sin and death. If God intervened to correct the problems caused by Satan it would appear that Satan and God are in kohoots. God will not allow Satan to have control of the earth indefinate! Revelation 21:3,4 With that I heard a loud voice from the throne say:“Look! The tent of God is with mankind, and he will reside with them, and they will be his peoples. And God himself will be with them. 4&#8239;And he will wipe out every tear from their eyes, and death will be no more, neither will mourning nor outcry nor pain be anymore. The former things have passed away.”

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Reality 151,288
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 19 min uninformed idiot 1,561
union college 22 min changes 2
does anyone know al barrett (Nov '08) 43 min Curious 2
Electric out? 1 hr Rite 1
Kevin Disney Central Elementary School 1 hr SMH 5
I am Wiki Hillbilly ask me a question 2 hr gator 2
2012 Ginseng Prices (Oct '12) 12 hr RobertB 120
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000