Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,866)

Showing posts 97,301 - 97,320 of128,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Cancer one day, no cancer less than two weeks later. This was the third fight with cancer in different places. Cancer free now for several years.
What does it take for you skeptics? Do you expect Jesus to come down and cure them in person and then go around and tell all 6.4 billion people on earth what He did?
Some evidence instead of just claims with zero evidence would be a nice start.
I would love for some logic to accompany the story.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Did YAA recruit curious and Know Fact to give headaches to atheists while he's gone and yelling GOD IS REAL!!! while jumping up and down like a pogo stick?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not go to wiki, you are correct. I am giving you my idea of the difference.
Of course you are, this is why you use terms for what you believe that do not sound like you believe crazy stuff as much. This makes us think it no less crazy though. But I understand it helps you justify believing in magic.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No I mean a nice city. Laid out in a manner that the streets make sense, people are overall friendly, it attracts businesses, and divorce rates are among the fewest in the country. I could go on. School test scores etc
Was it worth alienating us no racists to believe in your religion? Seems to me if it actually turned a single person away from a "true" church, god would never have allowed Brigham to put into policy racist ideas as he did.

Now obviously it turned many a black persons away, but surely it turned many other people away also, due to them using logic to determine truth instead of magical ghosts.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
No, stupid. No. Stop making bullshit strawmen and drawing illogical conclusions from them.
We have no evidence for the existence of God, but I will believe once evidence is supplied. The bar is set no higher or lower than with any other thing we have no evidence for.
<quoted text>
No. That IS fact. You cannot determine a probability for something that we have no proof of existing being the cause of an event. What is the probability that Frosty the snowman made your alarm clock go off this morning? Is it not infinitely more likely that it happened through a circumstance describable by science?
<quoted text>
Science doesn't have to prove exactly what happened. All that matters is that you can logically and factually explain every part of the sequence of events. I did so. I showed how each thing could happen based on things we already know. I don't have to "prove" that it DID happen that way. The only alternative is that a being we have no proof exists did it magically. I soundly stomped all over the alternative "hypothesis". Highly probable, based on actual fact, and not contradicting what we know will ALWAYS win over highly improbably, based on imagination, and contradicting essentially all we know.
And it's not my problem if you're too indoctrinated to realize how the process works. I'm not the one making you look brain damaged.
<quoted text>
Oh, so God can never be proven through science? Darn. How terribly inconvenient for my position. And yours, too, since science works on anything that physically affects the universe to a degree that can be observed and quantified. I guess I'll have to deal with only having medicine, computers, space travel, and all those other things that science provides. And you can go on believing in the existence of a God that has absolutely no measurable impact on the existence that we live in.
<quoted text>
Good. I'm glad that you aren't irrational to the point of being dangerous (unlike those nutjobs that did not seek medical assistance for two sick children, who then died). I'll take displays of intelligence where I can get them. Though I still think you are delusional in your amazingly low standards of proof for certain things.
I heard an interesting quote recently, and I think it probably applies to you:
"Smart people are very good at rationalizing things they came to believe for non-smart reasons."
<quoted text>
If you support the restrictions of the rights of a group of people different than you, they ARE broken. I don't care what you think. Every non-bigot agrees with me.
"We have no evidence for the existence of God"
I do... He saved me!
So, you are ignorant of the fact, that God is real!
You are NOT a "Non-bigot"!
Hateful, nasty, and immoral... Major bigot!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
And I still disagree that marriage would change fidelity. With heteros we are on a trend to abstain more from marriage, prolong marriage, and divorce marriage. So I just don't see how allowing marriage for gays would make anything better for them as far as fidelity goes. Rights and privileges, yes. Fidelity, no.
Sorry, but I really did not understand anything about this statement. You abstain from marriage? Are you writing faster than you are thinking or am I missing something? Really, this makes no sense.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So explain just what man did that was so wrong that happened?

Lets say just for purposes of debate on god letting people suffer for no good reason that it was the fault of a few men. So what of it? If god can help, why would he not? Is one mans wrongdoing cause to allow millions or billions to suffer so greatly?
Seems a poor excuse to do nothing.

If a bad man threw a baby in the river, would you just allow the baby to drown? See how your logic is not holding up? If you have the power to help and do nothing, are you really moral? I do not think so, and this is just one more reason I find it hard to believe their is a god.
So why should I be punished for having doubts about this? I think I have many very good reasons to not believe in a god, but according to you, I will be punished no matter my reasons.
Sorry, but this tips the logic meter against you.
2 things
First, God does not intervene on everything that happens on earth. I've talked about this already. All sorts of differ t reasons why. But if we ask in prayer with faith, He does answer. Sometimes the answer is no. This we don't know. But it seems we, or someone else usually learns something or becomes stronger. And many times someone goes through a trial to give us the chance to help them.
Second, His time is different than ours. Suffering here is extremely temporary on His timeline. The plan is for us to return to Him. If that happens because of negligence on someone else's part for not helping, it isn't that person's fault.

As far as punishment, that isn't for me to decide. But think about it this way, if you created beings, they deny you and talk crap about you, you wouldn't be upset, or sad?
I think of Bill Cosby: I brought you in this world, and I'll take you out

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I brought up AIDS because it was man that contracted it from monkeys and from the best that can be traced, it was man's fault that it transferred to humans. You were blaming God.
So man contracting it from monkeys makes it mans fault, how? Who gave it to monkeys?
I do not blame god because I do not believe a god have ever done a single thing, ever. But it does seem strange believers never blame god. They attribute all good to god, but give him a pass on all bad. Pretty selective perceptions.
And why does any of this matter to why your god does nothing to fix the massive problem again?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
2 things
First, God does not intervene on everything that happens on earth. I've talked about this already. All sorts of differ t reasons why. But if we ask in prayer with faith, He does answer. Sometimes the answer is no. This we don't know. But it seems we, or someone else usually learns something or becomes stronger. And many times someone goes through a trial to give us the chance to help them.
Second, His time is different than ours. Suffering here is extremely temporary on His timeline. The plan is for us to return to Him. If that happens because of negligence on someone else's part for not helping, it isn't that person's fault.
As far as punishment, that isn't for me to decide. But think about it this way, if you created beings, they deny you and talk crap about you, you wouldn't be upset, or sad?
Sounds like you are seriously contradicting yourself. If god never intervenes on earthy affairs, then your miracles are not of god?

Not sure what gods timeline has to do with anyone being comforted as they suffer for a lifetime. Sounds extremely selfish, with a lack of empathy or sympathy.

So punishment is not for you to decide, so? I am not asking you to decide, I am asking why you do not care for fair justice? Why would you think I should not care for fair justice? Again you ignore critical thinking and logic to blind faith.

Seems to be your answer for all things you claim that lack logic.
Now tell me why you are not a Muslim?
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed. There should be no revision of the classics. They are a product of their time, and no one should be alarmed, ashamed or too sensitive to expect them to be anything else.
Exactly...like a lot of other (even certain and specific) books!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
2 things
If Bill Cosby actually said this, it is the most immoral thing I have ever heard from him. Sorry, but this is my logic, no ghosts consulted.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>

. But it seems we, or someone else usually learns something or becomes stronger. And many times someone goes through a trial to give us the chance to help them.
This is your excuse for suffering? So if millions of people suffer for a lifetime, as long as someone learns something, then it is a good thing the suffering happened?
Sorry, but that is the logic of a madman or worse.
People can learn without massive suffering.

And if you think this suffering is good because it might bring someone to god, then that is just as evil. Sounds more like torture in the inquisitions.
ScienceProves

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I have no idea what in the world you are even talking about?
As in, what was the question, or as in the "obvious" ?:-)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>

So god is pouting because I give him no credit for something I cannot know he ever did? Why do you not give Zeus credit for rain? I bet it really pisses him off like a spoiled little child.

Are their any attributes of your god that sound like a reasonable, mature, caring, sympathizing adult or are they all that of a sadistic child?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think your statement answers any of the questions I asked here?
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I spread rapidly in part due to president Reagan ignoring it due to the false idea it was a homosexual only problem.
Also if homosexuals were allowed to marry they would be more likely to be in monogamous relationships. Thus it would be spread less quickly.
Either way, let god off the hook for doing nothing is akin to watching a drowning baby and doing nothing. If you have the power to do something and you do nothing, then you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
So what of malaria, MS and cancer? The list is long and help from god is short. You claim he helped some kid with an ear, yet billions suffer of these incurable afflictions. Sorry but that just does not sound fair. So if god is not fair, it stands to reason the god is not even real as god is claimed to be so darn good.
This is how my logic works, and I cannot just forgo that.
I don't see how my responses did not answer your questions. Lets try one question at a time

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure there is documentation from their tests. Why wouldn't there be?
Well lets see it? The world is waiting for the first documented miracle. What are you waiting for?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Fact is, many of other denominations or even other religions believe they get answers and yet they are not the same answers you get.
Now if god does not follow rules of logic, then why should I follow him? If he wishes for a logical man to believe in him, then he should act logically or else actually present himself.
Do you have a mustard seed of faith in Mohammed? How about a mustard seed of faith in Zeus?
I thing God does follow logic, but not our version of it. Your comment represents a lack of humility in that there could be a creator, one greater than you, and that is the equivalent of pride in this situation.

And no I have no faith in Zeus, and after studying Islam, I have no faith in their beliefs.
EveintheGardenof

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Snakes are out sun worshipping! Step carefully!

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>

I didn't suggest that man and monkey had sex. I know that was the common thought in the 90's, but I didn't say it. Funny how that was your first defensive response though. What I had heard last was that they determined that people that were capturing these primates were injured and the disease passed that way. Either way, that is man's fault. And as far as I know, the disease didn't hurt the primates, they were more of a carrier.
Everyone suffers from disease. The rain falls on the just and unjust. And I don't have a clue why some are helped and others aren't. That's up to God. The important thing to me is that He has helped upon request and I have experienced that first hand.
I suggested it because that is the stereotypical claim of the religious. So far you are spot on with the typical claims of the religious and you mentioned monkeys. So I am actually shocked you know the old claim is known to be false. But am still confused why you blame man just because man was somehow involved. The way you speak of blame here is as if he deserves to suffer.

So you have no clue about why god helps some and not others? Then why do you not ask your holy ghost to clear up the confusion. In fact, why do you not ask him to clear up all my questions?

BTW, you are still contradicting your claim that god does not intervene.
Contradiction is a sure sign you are wrong about something.
EveintheGardenof

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I thing God does follow logic, but not our version of it. Your comment represents a lack of humility in that there could be a creator, one greater than you, and that is the equivalent of pride in this situation.
And no I have no faith in Zeus, and after studying Islam, I have no faith in their beliefs.
Signs showing it's not looking like too great a spring over in the mid-east lands.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 97,301 - 97,320 of128,012
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

68 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
KC Basketball Coach 17 min KC Fan 66
verna warren 41 min would like to know 1
verna warren 44 min would like to know 1
Becky and Richard hicks 46 min Just Saying 6
looking for a mini pot belly pig 1 hr har 1
Huge yard sale 1 hr Tiff 1
Hobby Lobby ruling!! 1 hr bologna lips 14
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 13 hr Butt head 383
•••