Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,864)

Showing posts 97,261 - 97,280 of127,976
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Of course I am sure their is no documentation of this supposed cancer?
People with cancer pray all the time. Most of them die due to cancer, so I see no evidence of prayer actually helping.

So just how did AIDs spread to humans? Contact with monkeys does not mean they had sex. And why did god allow for the monkeys to have the disease in the first place?

What of malaria making so many suffer? How about MS? Are you telling me praying Mormons do not suffer from disease? Or is god just allowing some to suffer?

Do you think marriage helps anyone be monogamous? If so, then it stands to reason homosexuals would have the same result. Unless you just think they are all bad.
Sure there is documentation from their tests. Why wouldn't there be?

I didn't suggest that man and monkey had sex. I know that was the common thought in the 90's, but I didn't say it. Funny how that was your first defensive response though. What I had heard last was that they determined that people that were capturing these primates were injured and the disease passed that way. Either way, that is man's fault. And as far as I know, the disease didn't hurt the primates, they were more of a carrier.

Everyone suffers from disease. The rain falls on the just and unjust. And I don't have a clue why some are helped and others aren't. That's up to God. The important thing to me is that He has helped upon request and I have experienced that first hand.

And no, I don't see that marriage helps keep anyone monogamous, regardless of sexual preference. I think it is a flawed argument that if gays are allowed to marry, then STDs will decrease. I have not seen that it has helped heteros stay monogamous in the least. If they are going to cheat, they do it. If you are suggesting that fear of divorce and having to split 1/2 of their belongings will help them remain monogamous, then it isn't about love or rights to marry at all. In that case, what good is marriage? It would be better to not marry at all. That goes for straights and gays.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>So you're basically saying that there wouldn't be a Washington state if there was no chief Seattle.
Do you know the history of Utah?

There wasn't a soul living in that area but Ute Indians. I can't speak for Washington, but for Utah, It would not be the same without Brigham taking tens of thousands of Mormons there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>I know we share the same beliefs,and this was not intended for you,I made an error,and when I realized it ,sent another post right behind this one,explaining my mistake.
Again,my apologies
No problem :)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>When I was little, I believed giraffes and camels were just different kinds of horsies because of a general similarity in appearance and I believed Geo. Washington threw a dollar across the Potomac because I was told so. That was when I was a child and today I know those things are completely false.
You are supposedly a rational thinking adult. What is your excuse?
"Truth" in a religious context is defined in a way that has little to do with fact, veracity, actuality or accuracy.
That's why I used the word believe. You will notice I have admitted a hundred times that I know my beliefs are based on faith.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't stated an opinion on whether I "like it or not." I haven't even stated any opinion on the church of the LDS - except that you have to take their genealogical records with a grain of salt and double check them thoroughly.(No Pilgrims were born in 1612 in Massachusetts.)

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
It really doesn't matter if he was governor, he as prophet, dictated the focus of most of the efforts of church members at that time. They were incredibly hard working. They turned a desert into a farmland in a short amount of time and made Utah a nice area to live. They helped settle Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico, all under the direction of Brigham. "

No need to be defensive about it.
I don't poo-poo the arduous accomplishments of Young or of any of the pioneers. Because of persecution and violence, the early Mormons LEFT the U.S. Perfectly understandable. I SAID that the LDS was Young's church and that Deseret was his country.

You say Brigham, I say Young....
I'm not on a first name familiarity with someone I've never met. I haven't seen you refer to the founding fathers as Benjamin, George, Thomas, John, Samuel, Paul... Is that your bias I see peeking through?(OK, now you can be defensive.)
What do pilgrims and 1612 have to do with anything? You lost me on that one.

And no, I just like the name Brigham better. It's not as common as Young. When I say Brigham, everyone knows who I speak of.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>And the Old Testament relays an entire speech that Jonah gave to God from the inside of a fish. No scribes, no film crews. Les Stroud, Bear Grills - eat yer hearts out.
Just saying, we know the belief that Jesus would come existed before He came.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>No, he's basically saying that Utah wouldn't have been the same without Brigham Young in the same manner as Pennsylvania wouldn't have been the same without William Penn and Rhode Island wouldn't have been the same without Roger Williams. It's a horn blowing non-issue.
Just saying he did good things for more than just his church.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious.
Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......
Thanks again for reminding me that I'm nothing like you

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks again for reminding me that I'm nothing like you
Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious.
Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>Yahweh is a mathematician?
Personal power < sufficient + Yahweh power (- insufficient personal power)= miracle?
(Please forgive me, all you real mathematicians)

Magic spells bend the laws of reality.
Miracles bend the laws of reality.
There is no difference and both are imaginary.

"Magic and spells seem to benefit more of the first person not others."
So you are saying a "miracle" benefits only those NOT asking for one?
Come on... Religious people pray for miracles for themselves constantly.

You know, if those who "helps themselves" actually help themselves, there is no need for a god's help.
Religion requires a person to believe they are weak and helpless.
It preys on the insecure, the needy, the frightened.
But instead of encouraging confidence and courage, it offers a crutch.
Religion poisons everything.
I have no idea what that equation was supposed to mean. Sorry

Prayer, miracles, and the priesthood can benefit both you and others. But the priesthood is different. I cannot use it for myself. I can't lay my hands upon my own head and pronounce a blessing. But I can help others and it in turn strengthens my faith.

Do I seem weak and helpless to you? Do I seem to lack confidence to you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>I adore the IPU. She is watching over my shoulder as I am typing.
She says that later today we are going to fly to Mars where She will leave a pile of glittered poop for scientists to eventually find to confirm Her existance.
And they will declare "It's a miracle! She IS real!"

IPU believers everywhere will smile, nod and whisper "I told you so."
;)
So you stoop to this level of insult too? Interesting. I learned something new here.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>And we are still waiting for you to have something to say.
Imagine this: The Earth is over 4 billion years old. It is a small planet circling a medium sized middle aged 3rd generation star in an obscure part of a medium sized galaxy that contains 300,000,000,000 other stars. In the observable universe alone, there are probably 100,000,000,000 other galaxies.
Now, you wish us to have faith (that is to imagine and believe) that a deity who created all of this and vastly, vastly more over 13 billion years ago, recently created humans in 'his' image and has spent the last 6,000 years doting over a family of sheep herders (which is STILL basically all we are) and that he speaks to you through characters printed on sheets of pulverized plant fibers and possibly a sort of psychic connection that is indistinguishable from a psychiatric disorder.
Oh, I'm sorry - were you saying something I needed to take seriously?
Who says that all those other stars don't have inhabitants just like us? Who knows? Remember I me mentioned the possibility that our God has a Father as well? What If all those stars are governed by relatives of our God? If we are created in His image, and we have relatives, you never know.
Anyway, just thought if throw it out there.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Who says that all those other stars don't have inhabitants just like us? Who knows? Remember I me mentioned the possibility that our God has a Father as well? What If all those stars are governed by relatives of our God? If we are created in His image, and we have relatives, you never know.
Is this an applicable example of when to use Occam's razor?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

I am not on a mission to shake anyone's faith. My initial presence on this thread was twofold - one for entertainment and the other to refute the notion that religious indoctrination has any lawful or meritorious function in public schools, especially considering the abysmal academic 'achievements' sustained in the 'Bible Belt' states.
HSBC? American Express? Oohh.. Sorry guy, I misunderstood. Nope, I can't say I've had that personal experience or I guess I might look to God for repentance, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT saying that I believe you were money laundering for the drug cartels or anything like that. Rest assured, I have other things to believe. Possibly something a little less nefarious - like a couple cases too many 3 martini lunches... or something.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed. Sol = soul? I'm certainly not a sun worshiper, but doesn't the first commandment indicate that there ARE other Gods? There are some who contend that humans are special and alone in the universe. I find that to be arrogant. Perhaps we are genetically engineered beings who owe our existence to superior intellect(s). The fusion of a couple chromosomes, a chemical dart here and a splice there...voila! Perhaps even the physics of this entire universe are the result of a carefully tailored experiment from a para-parent universal lab. The options are not beyond the farthest realms of impossibility. The Trinity is still balderdash, tho.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What do pilgrims and 1612 have to do with anything? You lost me on that one.
And no, I just like the name Brigham better. It's not as common as Young. When I say Brigham, everyone knows who I speak of.
I never accused Mr. Young of being a bad leader, I said that he worked for HIS church and for DESERET - and I meant in contrast to for the United States and the first amendment. Don't be so sensitive. He and the pioneers did well with what they had.

I was doing genealogy and according to the LDS, I had an ancestor born in the state of MA eight years before the pilgrims landed. The point was having a reason to badmouth Mormons. It was a little irritating to see how many of my ancestors have been posthumously baptized, christened, what-have-you by the LDS, but I can deal with some foibles and quirkiness. Which reminds me, I don't really mind what John Travolta believes, either - as long as he doesn't do a remake of Battleship Earth or give me bad lineage info.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me ask you a question.

Is that what you say to yourself whenever you look in the mirror?
Or
Is that your mind telling you what it really thinks of you?

Do you have a complex?

Any way,you need to get back to your room at the Mental Institution and have the Shrink examine the few remaining functioning neurons you have left in your belly button.
He may have to remove the lint,so as not to cause you any further mental damage.
And,stop posting under different nicknamesThat is getting old and boring

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Wasted time, wasted tax payer dollars-falling to ploys of thirty years behind and backwards in time, while the futures of next generations, will suffer because of it.
The current admin hasn't even been able to handle BUDGETS...and most of them are of plenty of age enough, to should've already been able to have been doing so--YEARS ago.
Instead, all we have seen/heard..is wahwahwah..we needs more taxpayer dollars--- to WASTE.
It's shameful.
I have no idea what in the world you are even talking about?

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No I saw the evidence that would convince anyone.
And I do not think that 2 doctors that are supposed to be in the top 10 in the nation misdiagnosed. But believe as you wish.
No, you saw evidence that would convince a gullible person who is not a skeptic of any sort. Us skeptics require a lot more conclusive and objective evidence.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
That is the miracle of the resurrection. Actually for the entire long stretch of human Written history, religion has been a factor. And I do not think it is coincidence that most old religions have some things in common.
Religions having things in common points to the fact they borrow ideas from each other and or that religious ideas are that of basic propaganda tactics.
They are made up answers from those who know no or little of how nature actually works. Now we can look to science for many of these answers, but now the religious are taught to ignore the science as if it is the work of the devil or some such excuse.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 97,261 - 97,280 of127,976
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

71 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
blackberry's 10 min Blackberry 6
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 29 min Cornelius Scudmister 144,888
Red Chevy Cruze 35 min just found out 4
big yard sale 52 min jackie 1
Barbie Carpenter 1 hr clueless 7
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr sad 81,550
KC Basketball Coach 4 hr KC Fan 55
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 12 hr Fillus 382
•••
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters