Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
97,221 - 97,240 of 128,685 Comments Last updated 21 min ago
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Not wholly accurate and not at all the point.
Believers TODAY think that the Bible is an accurate VERBATIM version of the events and of his speeches. That alone is evidence (and not the only evidence) that 'believers' worship the books, the messengers and the doctrines. Don't attempt to make excuses for the obvious.
Beats the ell out of cheezy, velveteenage type wall posters and other media spewed random spooge images!!!
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
There wouldn't have been a Utah, or a Salt Lake City as we know it without Brigham. Like it or not
Compare it to Jefferson and Monticello-he might get an inkling then lol.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're basically saying that there wouldn't be a Washington state if there was no chief Seattle.
Albany, New York - James of York and Albany

Annapolis, Maryland - Anne of Great Britain

Austin, Texas - Stephen F. Austin

Augusta, Maine - Augusta Dearborn

Bismarck, North Dakota - Otto von Bismarck

Carson City, Nevada - Kit Carson

Charleston, West Virginia - Charles Clendenin

Columbus, Ohio - Christopher Columbus
(Columbia, South Carolina - named after the poetic name for the Americas, which in turn is derived from Christopher Colubus's name)

Denver, Colorado - James W. Denver

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania - John Harris, Sr.

Jackson, Mississippi - Andrew Jackson

Jefferson City, Missouri - Thomas Jefferson

Juneau, Alaska - Joe Juneau

Lincoln, Nebraska - Abraham Lincoln

Madison, Wisconsin - James Madison

Montgomery, Alabama - Richard Montgomery

Nashville, Tennessee - Francis Nash

Pierre, South Dakota - Pierre Chouteau, Jr.

Raleigh, North Carolina - Sir Walter Raleigh

St. Paul, Minnesota - Saint Paul

Trenton, New Jersy - William Trent

My grandmother had an ol' scraggly scrapper tomcat named Kit Carson...hmmmm.
ScienceProves

Manchester, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I suppose you think the civil rights thing was a non issue also? You give no reasoning, logic and really do not even have a point. In fact you really did not even point that what issue we are talking about. I was talking about two issues that I feel have some relation. Which one are you talking about?
Wasted time, wasted tax payer dollars-falling to ploys of thirty years behind and backwards in time, while the futures of next generations, will suffer because of it.

The current admin hasn't even been able to handle BUDGETS...and most of them are of plenty of age enough, to should've already been able to have been doing so--YEARS ago.
Instead, all we have seen/heard..is wahwahwah..we needs more taxpayer dollars--- to WASTE.

It's shameful.
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for allowing my "penny in the ear" analogy to gracefully whoosh over your head. I wasn't making comparisons to the kid in the story. Maybe you'll figure it out now.
Also, it's highly insulting to act as though others would have the same low standard of proof as you do. There is literally no way that I would believe such garbage. Believe me, I have been told more than one thing that is of this magnitude, and I believed none of it. I totally believed that the other person believed what they were telling me, though.
I will note that it must be convenient to be able to say "thanks for fulfilling scripture" and think you "got" somebody. Too bad you apparently don't realize that much of scripture was written to combat skepticism and logic.
<quoted text>
Understanding the Bible means not believing it.
<quoted text>
Thank you.
<quoted text>
They are being totally honest in this context. It should be VERY clear to you that nobody is talking about science here.
<quoted text>
What a pile of trash you are. That is the product of FEWER being "indoctrinated" into your hateful religion, and others like it, and MORE being allowed to see that all people should be afforded the same rights. Now that's progress and an improvement to our society.
<quoted text>
Why don't you understand evolution? And why don't you understand the difference between evolution and diet/medicine/environmental contaminants.
<quoted text>
Yours is not a good question. The process is NO different. The only difference is what causes more frequent transmittal of certain traits. In natural selection it is the environment. Here it is people. Not difficult.
<quoted text>
I can't tell if you're trolling. Really.
"What a pile of trash you are. That is the product of FEWER being "indoctrinated" into your hateful religion, and others like it, and MORE being allowed to see that all people should be afforded the same rights. Now that's progress and an improvement to our society."
I take it... yer gay?
Hold on to that thought, because what you said was more hateful,
than anything I posted!
See... I do not think gays are trash, having lived that lifestyle, I
KNOW Christ can cure that malfunction!
Believe me... it is Wrong to be that way...
Just as it is to kill babies, bomb school busses, or ANY
other ILL crap!
Yes and Amen

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually its called statistics. But leave it a Fundie to get huffy when reality disagrees with his sacred bigotry.
Leave it to you to not understand...
I'm a sinner SAVED by God's Grace, through Faith in Christ Jesus!
NO room for Bigotry where I came from, AND
Hoping the same for everyone else!
That is NOT Bigotry!
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Why was this to me? I don't question your belief. I share it
I know we share the same beliefs,and this was not intended for you,I made an error,and when I realized it ,sent another post right behind this one,explaining my mistake.
Again,my apologies

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>That is a story in a book. It defies the natural way of things that we have observed for as long as we have been observing things at all. When people die and are dead for three days they *do not* come back. Ever.

Unless all experience for the entire long stretch of human existence is wrong. In which case even the treasured ideas you believe in are just as suspect as anything else.
That is the miracle of the resurrection. Actually for the entire long stretch of human Written history, religion has been a factor. And I do not think it is coincidence that most old religions have some things in common.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I'm fascinated by that stuff too. I like studying Bible scholars because it is archeology and history. I really enjoy reading about ancient cultures and how they came to be, how they went away, etc. So Biblical stuff is of course part of that body of information.
I agree it is fascinating. Ancient Chinese culture is fascinating to me as well. As are the cultures in India

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe them to be very close to the truth.
When I was little, I believed giraffes and camels were just different kinds of horsies because of a general similarity in appearance and I believed Geo. Washington threw a dollar across the Potomac because I was told so. That was when I was a child and today I know those things are completely false.
You are supposedly a rational thinking adult. What is your excuse?
"Truth" in a religious context is defined in a way that has little to do with fact, veracity, actuality or accuracy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Asking you and your and your friends for their opinions on Spiritual matters,is like asking the 3 Stooges for their opinions on Brain Surgery,Rocket Science and The Wisdom of Fools...
But you didn't ask our opinion on "spiritual matters" did you? You asked for a logical explanation for the "illogical" events surrounding the recovery of your dog. We provided that...and quite easily I might add.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>1) You have some shred of reason. Many people do not. If you go around telling people that prayers can cure cancer there are going to be foolish people who will shun medicine and just trust in God. Those people will die. Therefore it is dangerous to make those claims. I have no tolerance for that kind of reckless bullsh*t.

2) You have a title as a magic man. You say words, and sometimes the laws of nature are bent as a result. That is called magic. Name it what you like, rationalize it all day long, but you are calling yourself a wizard who can cast spells.
The difference is magic and spells come from the Satan. Miracles come from God. Magic and spells seem to benefit more of the first person not others.

I believe that God helps those who help themselves. I would never discourage someone from going to a doctor, even with a blessing or prayers. It is still up to us to do everything that we can do within our own power, and then God makes up the difference according to our faith.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

ScienceProves wrote:
<quoted text>
Beats the ell out of cheezy, velveteenage type wall posters and other media spewed random spooge images!!!
Would you be referring to the >thousand years of artwork that depicts Jesus as a European?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>There are certainly no documents describing Jesus Christ from 400 years before the man was born. Come on, that was a typo right?
The entire Old Testament foretells the coming of Jesus Christ. This is also the case of the Dead Sea Scrolls, as most of the books of the Old Testament are found in the Dead Sea Scrolls as well. They go into great detail about what He will be like, what His name shall be called, and the things that He will do. Of course I believe the book of Mormon also foretells of His coming

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>There wouldn't have been a Utah, or a Salt Lake City as we know it without Brigham. Like it or not
I haven't stated an opinion on whether I "like it or not." I haven't even stated any opinion on the church of the LDS - except that you have to take their genealogical records with a grain of salt and double check them thoroughly.(No Pilgrims were born in 1612 in Massachusetts.)
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It really doesn't matter if he was governor, he as prophet, dictated the focus of most of the efforts of church members at that time. They were incredibly hard working. They turned a desert into a farmland in a short amount of time and made Utah a nice area to live. They helped settle Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico, all under the direction of Brigham.
No need to be defensive about it.
I don't poo-poo the arduous accomplishments of Young or of any of the pioneers. Because of persecution and violence, the early Mormons LEFT the U.S. Perfectly understandable. I SAID that the LDS was Young's church and that Deseret was his country.

You say Brigham, I say Young....
I'm not on a first name familiarity with someone I've never met. I haven't seen you refer to the founding fathers as Benjamin, George, Thomas, John, Samuel, Paul... Is that your bias I see peeking through?(OK, now you can be defensive.)

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The entire Old Testament foretells the coming of Jesus Christ. This is also the case of the Dead Sea Scrolls, as most of the books of the Old Testament are found in the Dead Sea Scrolls as well. They go into great detail about what He will be like, what His name shall be called, and the things that He will do. Of course I believe the book of Mormon also foretells of His coming
And the Old Testament relays an entire speech that Jonah gave to God from the inside of a fish. No scribes, no film crews. Les Stroud, Bear Grills - eat yer hearts out.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're basically saying that there wouldn't be a Washington state if there was no chief Seattle.
No, he's basically saying that Utah wouldn't have been the same without Brigham Young in the same manner as Pennsylvania wouldn't have been the same without William Penn and Rhode Island wouldn't have been the same without Roger Williams. It's a horn blowing non-issue.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Wheather you say it or not makes it no less true. Their is zero evidence a god exists, a holy ghost speaks to people, that Jesus was a deity, that Moses or Brigham was a prophet, or that most of the claims of the bible ever occurred.
That is your opinion,based on a lack of information.
Those of us who believe,did not do so,because we wanted to believe.

We tested the teachings contained in the Bible and found them to be accurate and truthful.
That is how we came by our faith.
Obviously,you have not done so.

By not having done so,makes you illequipped to pass judgement on something you do not understand.
If you want evidence of God's existence,then follow his instructions as to how you may come to know him.
If you want evidence that there is a Holy Spirit,and how God uses the Holy Spirit to communicate with those who believe in him,read the scriptures and apply it's teachings.
The blueprint for achieving those objectives is clearly laid out...
Don't blame the One who made the blueprint,for not giving you the results that you claim are non existent,blame yourself,for not following the instructions contained in the blueprint

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That is your opinion,based on a lack of information.
Those of us who believe,did not do so,because we wanted to believe.
We tested the teachings contained in the Bible and found them to be accurate and truthful.
That is how we came by our faith.
Obviously,you have not done so.
By not having done so,makes you illequipped to pass judgement on something you do not understand.
If you want evidence of God's existence,then follow his instructions as to how you may come to know him.
If you want evidence that there is a Holy Spirit,and how God uses the Holy Spirit to communicate with those who believe in him,read the scriptures and apply it's teachings.
The blueprint for achieving those objectives is clearly laid out...
Don't blame the One who made the blueprint,for not giving you the results that you claim are non existent,blame yourself,for not following the instructions contained in the blueprint
You've looked over the top third of the tires and have convinced yourself beyond a doubt that the True definitive conclusion is that you can faithfully believe that they are not flat on the bottom. Hallelujahgonnadriveforeternit ywithJesusandtheBibleAmen.
Carry on, curious.
lumpwhump lumpwhump lumpwhump....

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2013

Judged:

Brain(lump) holyhatebible(whump), a truth has been revealed.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

63 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 10 min DITCH MITCH 146,307
SEC Network 26 min Hopeful 5
New "Dollar Daze" Store in Barbourville 1 hr ok yeah 36
Step Chid after divorce 2 hr stephanie 4
Stivers Center fixes 2 hr houses 52
i miss my amy 3 hr sarah 2
scott parrott living with another woman...what ... (Aug '10) 3 hr friend of friend 12
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••