Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 20 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#101839 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what that equation was supposed to mean. Sorry
Prayer, miracles, and the priesthood can benefit both you and others. But the priesthood is different. I cannot use it for myself. I can't lay my hands upon my own head and pronounce a blessing. But I can help others and it in turn strengthens my faith.
Do I seem weak and helpless to you? Do I seem to lack confidence to you?
In other words, you cannot tell the difference between "magic" and "miracle" either.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#101840 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
There wouldn't have been a Utah, or a Salt Lake City as we know it without Brigham. Like it or not
And just what does, as we know it mean? You mean a place were black people were shunned for over a century due to Brigham's racist nature?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101841 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>

And no I can't blame God for the transfer of HIV from primates to humans. That was man's fault.
So explain just what man did that was so wrong that happened?

Lets say just for purposes of debate on god letting people suffer for no good reason that it was the fault of a few men. So what of it? If god can help, why would he not? Is one mans wrongdoing cause to allow millions or billions to suffer so greatly?
Seems a poor excuse to do nothing.

If a bad man threw a baby in the river, would you just allow the baby to drown? See how your logic is not holding up? If you have the power to help and do nothing, are you really moral? I do not think so, and this is just one more reason I find it hard to believe their is a god.
So why should I be punished for having doubts about this? I think I have many very good reasons to not believe in a god, but according to you, I will be punished no matter my reasons.
Sorry, but this tips the logic meter against you.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101842 Apr 30, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious.
Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......
Thanks again. Love these reminders of what hatred truly is.

Location hidden

#101843 Apr 30, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Is this an applicable example of when to use Occam's razor?
Just me thinking.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101844 Apr 30, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you have. I'd also be willing to bet that the "positive" results you received were easier to come by with each new "test".
The number of times you execute a poorly constructed test is irrelevant. All that it shows is a capability to reproduce an erroneous result (and probably with increased efficiency).
<quoted text>
One of the other posters asked you specifically if anything in your scenario could have happened if you hadn't prayed. If you had simply ran your classified ad. You, to the best of my knowledge, ignored that question. Let me answer it for you. Yes...all of it.
There isn't a single event in your story that couldn't have happened without "divine intervention" and you know it. Any other answer is an attempt to deflect or distract and it displays your dishonesty.
<quoted text>
You require a test that produces the exact same results now? That's funny because initially you just asked for a plausible explanation. You do realize those are separate things don't you?
Was it possible for Shaquille O'Neal to have made 20 consecutive free throws? Of course it was. Did he ever do it? No, I don't think so. But, according to your logic, because Shaq never did it it was (is) impossible for him to have done it. That's an idiotic position.
<quoted text>
Another example of your lack of integrity. State it now to cover our behinds? Many of us have confessed (repeatedly) to being prior "believers". How convenient of you to overlook those admissions though.
Let me explain,for the last time,how illogical your explanation is.
Maybe you will finally understand.

If,I had come to you,with the problems I've had to faceand asked you what I should do,here is what you would have suggested,based on your analysis

I should be patient,have faith and wait for the possibility,that, perhaps,at some point in time,by chance or coincidence some event will take place,that may resolve my problem.

Let us remember that placing your faith in the hope ,that by chance,some event may happen,is called ,being superstitious.
Let us also remember the huge difference between may happen and WILL happen.

Your solution is definitely not very reassuring and that all I have to do is hope.Nothing else is required on my part.

So,instead I turn to Scriptures and I find another solution.
God says that,if I follow his instructions and diligently do my part,as he requires,he will provide a solution immediately.
I follow those instructions,which I have frequently posted,and he provides me with the solution,as he promised.

God did not say,maybe I will provide you with a solution,he did not say,sit down and wait till I am ready to provide you with a solution ,nor did he say,he was unable to provide me with a solution.

He simply answered as he had promised.
And,when someone delivers,as he has promised and does so continuously,you learn to have confidence in him and to trust him.

Could those incidents have occurred by chance,maybe or maybe not.
Again there is the difference,as I have explained and hopefully,you understood

I can not make it any plainer tha that
But,you will still think it is nonsense and will not understand.

I will tell you why I say that,it is based on my personal experiences,because I once,felt exactly as you do.

My older sister used to talk to me abolut God and Christ,how her prayers were answered and to me ,that was nonsense.
To me,there was no such a being and I could not understand what she was trying to tell me.
It did not make sense,,,Anyhow,you have a nice day

Location hidden

#101845 Apr 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Indeed. Sol = soul? I'm certainly not a sun worshiper, but doesn't the first commandment indicate that there ARE other Gods? There are some who contend that humans are special and alone in the universe. I find that to be arrogant. Perhaps we are genetically engineered beings who owe our existence to superior intellect(s). The fusion of a couple chromosomes, a chemical dart here and a splice there...voila! Perhaps even the physics of this entire universe are the result of a carefully tailored experiment from a para-parent universal lab. The options are not beyond the farthest realms of impossibility. The Trinity is still balderdash, tho.
Sorry I meant that there could be planets orbiting those stars, not inhabitants on the star itself. Sorry for the confusion. I was thinking faster than I was typing. I think it is likely that there are other solar systems that orbit their own sun and I'm sure conditions on some of them would be livable like ours.
And I agree about the trinity.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101846 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa I can't let this one slip by. So you think that if gays were allowed to marry, they would be more monogamous? Really?
And no I can't blame God for the transfer of HIV from primates to humans. That was man's fault.
And as I said, as far as curing disease. It has happened through prayer. My own mother n law had cancer twice in two different places. After removal surgeries it popped up in different places. The third time of finding cancer, she did not want any treatment, just removal of the source. She was checked by two different doctors in different hospitals to determine how bad it was spreading.
2 weeks later she was due in for the removal surgery. I and another priesthood holder gave her a blessing. In the blessing I was prompted to tell her that according to her faith, her cancer would be gone and not return.
When the doctor began the surgery, he found nothing to remove. They stopped the surgery and tested her again and there was no trace of cancer. She has been cancer free for 6 years now.
I consider that a miracle as well.
Do you think your statement answers any of the questions I asked here?
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I spread rapidly in part due to president Reagan ignoring it due to the false idea it was a homosexual only problem.
Also if homosexuals were allowed to marry they would be more likely to be in monogamous relationships. Thus it would be spread less quickly.
Either way, let god off the hook for doing nothing is akin to watching a drowning baby and doing nothing. If you have the power to do something and you do nothing, then you are part of the problem, not part of the solution.
So what of malaria, MS and cancer? The list is long and help from god is short. You claim he helped some kid with an ear, yet billions suffer of these incurable afflictions. Sorry but that just does not sound fair. So if god is not fair, it stands to reason the god is not even real as god is claimed to be so darn good.
This is how my logic works, and I cannot just forgo that.

Location hidden

#101847 Apr 30, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>I never accused Mr. Young of being a bad leader, I said that he worked for HIS church and for DESERET - and I meant in contrast to for the United States and the first amendment. Don't be so sensitive. He and the pioneers did well with what they had.

I was doing genealogy and according to the LDS, I had an ancestor born in the state of MA eight years before the pilgrims landed. The point was having a reason to badmouth Mormons. It was a little irritating to see how many of my ancestors have been posthumously baptized, christened, what-have-you by the LDS, but I can deal with some foibles and quirkiness. Which reminds me, I don't really mind what John Travolta believes, either - as long as he doesn't do a remake of Battleship Earth or give me bad lineage info.
I wasn't offended. I hope you aren't offended by proxy baptisms. As I've explained before, they have the option to choose for themselves. People often think that we are baptizing the dead into the Mormon church. That isn't the case. They still have free will.

Location hidden

#101848 Apr 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>No, you saw evidence that would convince a gullible person who is not a skeptic of any sort. Us skeptics require a lot more conclusive and objective evidence.
Cancer one day, no cancer less than two weeks later. This was the third fight with cancer in different places. Cancer free now for several years.
What does it take for you skeptics? Do you expect Jesus to come down and cure them in person and then go around and tell all 6.4 billion people on earth what He did?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101849 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Your pride allows you no room for faith. Jesus said if you could have faith as a mustard seed you could move mountains. You have to remember that God does not abide by your logic, nor is he bound by the human mind's limits.
The Holy Ghost is ready to impart knowledge at any time. The reason most Christians will get different answers is because they stop with what is comfortable to them. If they grew up as X denomination (for example), they won't ask much beyond what they were taught and they assume that everyone else is wrong because of what they were taught or what their parents believe. All other denominations will seem weird to them because it is different than what they believed in their youth.
They HG may be answering their prayer but they don't know how to prepare themselves for the answer.
To be honest, growing up in a Protestant church, I was never taught that you could receive an answer. I was taught to pray that it would work out. I never asked a yes or no question and awaited a response.
Fact is, many of other denominations or even other religions believe they get answers and yet they are not the same answers you get.
Now if god does not follow rules of logic, then why should I follow him? If he wishes for a logical man to believe in him, then he should act logically or else actually present himself.
Do you have a mustard seed of faith in Mohammed? How about a mustard seed of faith in Zeus?

Location hidden

#101850 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Religions having things in common points to the fact they borrow ideas from each other and or that religious ideas are that of basic propaganda tactics.
They are made up answers from those who know no or little of how nature actually works. Now we can look to science for many of these answers, but now the religious are taught to ignore the science as if it is the work of the devil or some such excuse.
I think it is evidence that there was one religion and over 1000's of years, Satan's influence and the doctrines of men contaminated it.

Location hidden

#101851 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You are just making up definitions to words.
Call it what you wish, but I will use common English language.
Wiki
Magic is the art of producing a desired effect or result through the use of incantation, ceremony, ritual, the casting of spells or various other techniques that presumably assure human control of supernatural agencies or the forces of nature.[
I did not go to wiki, you are correct. I am giving you my idea of the difference.

Location hidden

#101852 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So why did you bring up the monkey thing?

No, you do not need marriage to be monogamous, but that was not the question. As usual you avoid the actual question.

My point about marriage is, if you make homosexual relationships normal or less stigmatized, I think more homosexuals would have relationships instead of just sexual exchanges.
But you and your kind make homosexuals stay in the closet, so to speak. This leads them to seek their sexual gratification in quick encounters as to not get caught by their peers.
Well it should not take a study to conclude this is one reason many homosexuals are promiscuous.
I brought up AIDS because it was man that contracted it from monkeys and from the best that can be traced, it was man's fault that it transferred to humans. You were blaming God.

And I still disagree that marriage would change fidelity. With heteros we are on a trend to abstain more from marriage, prolong marriage, and divorce marriage. So I just don't see how allowing marriage for gays would make anything better for them as far as fidelity goes. Rights and privileges, yes. Fidelity, no.

Location hidden

#101853 Apr 30, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>In other words, you cannot tell the difference between "magic" and "miracle" either.
Certainly I can

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101854 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
In miracles alone I have given you two occurrences where God helped someone. One in the case of reattaching an ear in less than 36 hours which cannot be explained medically. And another of a person going from cancer stricken to cancer free in less than two weeks. It is extremely unlikely this could happen by itself.
It is extremely unlikely it happened at all. This is why we expect evidence of the claim. The more unlikely the event, the less likely one would believe it with no evidence.

Location hidden

#101855 Apr 30, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And just what does, as we know it mean? You mean a place were black people were shunned for over a century due to Brigham's racist nature?
No I mean a nice city. Laid out in a manner that the streets make sense, people are overall friendly, it attracts businesses, and divorce rates are among the fewest in the country. I could go on. School test scores etc

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101856 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is evidence that there was one religion and over 1000's of years, Satan's influence and the doctrines of men contaminated it.
Well that does not answer any of my questions. Did you have a point with this statement? I do not see it having a single thing to do with what I was talking about.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101857 Apr 30, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Cancer one day, no cancer less than two weeks later. This was the third fight with cancer in different places. Cancer free now for several years.
What does it take for you skeptics? Do you expect Jesus to come down and cure them in person and then go around and tell all 6.4 billion people on earth what He did?
Some evidence instead of just claims with zero evidence would be a nice start.
I would love for some logic to accompany the story.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#101858 Apr 30, 2013
Did YAA recruit curious and Know Fact to give headaches to atheists while he's gone and yelling GOD IS REAL!!! while jumping up and down like a pogo stick?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where's Arthur Vaughn? 4 min Furious Parent 10
arrested dewitt bus driver 38 min cynic 1
Pop Train 47 min The Chew 6
state police 1 hr Non Addict 15
amy mills 1 hr amY 11
Little Alvin Hubbard running scared !!! 3 hr Rockdad 8
Silverscreen Tanning - Ringworm 3 hr lil bit 24
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE