Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 134,344

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#101732 Apr 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally depends. If he person committed these sins with the intention of repenting at the last minute, then he didn't really repent.
If he had no knowledge of Jesus or that his actions were sins, then he would most likely be forgiven, kinda like Ninevah. God gave them a second chance because they didn't know the things they did were evil. We are judged on our knowledge.
Both atheist and Mormon were being treated for terminal cancer. The atheist received no blessing or prayer to God to be healed. The atheist lives and is cancer free after multiple treatments. The Mormon dies from cancer even after having a blessing and fellow Mormons prayers in supplication to Jesus to save him.

What reason would God allow the Mormon to die and the atheist to live?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101733 Apr 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>There are scant few references to Jesus outside the New Testament. I thin only two or three at the most, and some of those are not accepted by most scholars as being genuine.

Still, I'm not on the bandwagon against historical Jesus. I don't have a strong opinion either way as I don't think either side has a case closed argument. If I was FORCED to pick a side I'd say he was not a real person or that he is based on several different people. But I usually don't make the argument either way.

I can't argue with your faith. I can argue that what you felt was not a ghost, but an emotion. I can argue that the burning sensation in your chest is something a lot of people feel about other religions, or none at all. But I can't argue with faith as faith is not a position of reason, but of subjective emotion.
I think it is interesting that even though He isn't mentioned by name, several documents mention a man that fits His accomplishments. The Dead Sea Scrolls interest me quite a bit on the matter.

Since: Feb 12

Roseville, CA

#101734 Apr 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Can you explain your question? I don't follow
Sure, those who post here on topix are Jehovah's Witnesses, Protestants, ect who claim to be Christians yet are spreading an apostasy with heretic teaching according to your understanding. Yet they will go to some level in heaven to be saved and therefore not having to repent of anything, yet go to a lesser part of heaven or one of the three levels you talk about.

Is that correct?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

East Bernstadt, KY

#101735 Apr 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I think it is interesting that even though He isn't mentioned by name, several documents mention a man that fits His accomplishments. The Dead Sea Scrolls interest me quite a bit on the matter.
Yes they are interesting but are of absolutely no import in verification of a guy running around called Jesus since they are written 300 to 400 years after his supposed life... Again even the very few mentions of someone that might , maybe fit his later descriptors happened decades after the fact...

Not One mention, not one writing on a crap house wall, not a piece of pottery, not a document has been found after 2000 years of people ripping walls apart to find it has mention of such a person been found during the entirety of his life time...

And we are told that at his birth a star led wise men, animals gathered and all kinds of stuff that if true would have been of note in the local tabloid of the time... So from Birth people knew he was the Son of God, he preformed wondrous things and heal the blind... Yet during his life No One scribbled on a wall "Jesus was here" .. But during that same time frame we find Hundreds of writings, pottery showing sports stars, where the best whore houses are, how much wheat was stored, and all kinds of mundane day to day events memorialized..

Now I'm not saying some preacher guy didn't preach about a religion but at the time no one paid much attention and if he actually existed did nothing worth noting....

Location hidden

#101736 Apr 29, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Regarding AIDs, I need to read up on it but I'm not sure what you're suggesting about the monkey thing. I hope you aren't suggesting that someone boinked a monkey and got AIDS because I seriously doubt that is what happened.

Marriage would make gays more or less as monogamous as anyone else. Men are probably more prone to fooling around in general, so two men being married might have a higher risk of infidelity. But two women might have a smaller risk. So once again gender is irrelevant to marriage.

And religion is also irrelevant to marriage, but that is another topic.

What strikes me about your post is the cancer story. It is an incredibly DANGEROUS way to believe. What you describe as a miracle is called an outlier, statistically. And going around claiming that you have magic powers to heal people is a way of giving people a reason to avoid normal treatment.

It is foolish and dangerous and it is the sort of thing you should not be doing, ever.

Check the news regularly and you will find stories of nutcase religious families who shun doctors and kill their kids because of it. Not just one or two stories over time, but several every year. Since 2012 I can remember just by coincidence of hearing about them 3 different news stories about kids who died at home in pain because mom and dad believed in the power of prayer and miracles.

It's reckless bullshit and you should be ashamed for believing it and spreading it.
No I can't say that's how AIDS was transmitted.

Why I laughed about monogamy: they don't need marriage to be monogamous. That's a choice they could make at any time.

I would never suggest someone not go to a doctor. Like my man on the roof story, I believe God works through people. I believe we should pray for God to guide the doctor in his decisions, but still certainly go to the doctor. You do not need to lump me with the "nutcases" you described. I would never recommend not seeking medical attention. We take our kids to the doctor for silly little things sometimes.

No I do not claim to have magic powers. But I do hold the Melchisidek Priesthood (or Holy Priesthood). The same priesthood that Jesus passed to His apostles and told them to go out and heal others as they saw Him do. According to my faith and worthiness to use the priesthood, and according to the faith of the individual that requests a blessing, miracles can happen. And it happens all the time. The power and blessings come from God, not us. We are merely the vessel used for that person in need. We can do nothing for ourselves with the priesthood. I have been a part of several blessings that changed the course of people's lives and sometimes their medical condition.

Therefore I believe in miracles. I believe in God. I believe in Jesus Christ. And I believe He leads my church. I am happy to share my experiences with others. I don't expect all to believe me.

East Bernstadt, KY

#101737 Apr 29, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, those who post here on topix are Jehovah's Witnesses, Protestants, ect who claim to be Christians yet are spreading an apostasy with heretic teaching according to your understanding. Yet they will go to some level in heaven to be saved and therefore not having to repent of anything, yet go to a lesser part of heaven or one of the three levels you talk about.
Is that correct?
I'm tellin ya.. It's a new version of Donkey Cong, without having to jump the barrels....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#101738 Apr 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "like" the in bed thing.
You need to remember that most of His followers were poor people. And His apostles gave up everything they had and left to follow Him. They didn't bring belongings. And everything they had, had to be carried around everywhere they went. They rarely rested during His ministry. They didn't take the time to try to write everything at the moment it happened. They spent most of that time trying to figure out what He was doing or what He was going to do next. When He left, they spent the rest of their days telling people what happened. And this was under persecution and constant threat of death.
Not wholly accurate and not at all the point.
Believers TODAY think that the Bible is an accurate VERBATIM version of the events and of his speeches. That alone is evidence (and not the only evidence) that 'believers' worship the books, the messengers and the doctrines. Don't attempt to make excuses for the obvious.

Location hidden

#101739 Apr 29, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>That is why you believe Christians from all denominations will go to heaven? What about the nation of Israel that deny Jesus is the messiah?
I believe in levels of Heaven. If you follow all the commandments of God and believe in Him, you would have earned the privilege of living in His presence in the eternities (Celestial Kingdom - compared to the glory of the sun). If you believed in Jesus Christ and did your best to follow Him and all His teachings, then you would be worthy to be in His presence. But since you did not follow all the commandments of the Father, you would earn the 2nd kingdom (Terrestrial Kingdom - compared to the glory of the moon). If you denied Jesus Christ but did not deny the Holy Ghost, you would earn the 3rd kingdom (Telestial Kingdom - compared to the glory of the stars).

John mentions a vision of seeing the 3rd heaven and says even it is more glorious than he thought he could achieve. 2 Corinthians 12:2

The kingdoms are mentioned starting in 1 Corinthians 15:40.

Location hidden

#101740 Apr 29, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>Both atheist and Mormon were being treated for terminal cancer. The atheist received no blessing or prayer to God to be healed. The atheist lives and is cancer free after multiple treatments. The Mormon dies from cancer even after having a blessing and fellow Mormons prayers in supplication to Jesus to save him.

What reason would God allow the Mormon to die and the atheist to live?
Is this hypothetical?

I'm assuming yes so my hypothetical answer would be that maybe the believer had passed his test of faith and his work on earth was done. While maybe the believer was given more time to find God and experience His mercies.

Location hidden

#101741 Apr 29, 2013
Spaceship earth wrote:
<quoted text>Sure, those who post here on topix are Jehovah's Witnesses, Protestants, ect who claim to be Christians yet are spreading an apostasy with heretic teaching according to your understanding. Yet they will go to some level in heaven to be saved and therefore not having to repent of anything, yet go to a lesser part of heaven or one of the three levels you talk about.

Is that correct?
Possibly.
I believe that people that truly seek the fullness if the gospel, will find it. Maybe in the Spirit World even. In this case, they could still earn the highest level of heaven. God is a just god and gives us all the opportunity to hear the full gospel and choose to accept it or not.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#101742 Apr 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
One example, the railway to the west would have taken decades longer had he not stopped work on the temple to help complete it. You know the picture of the crew with the golden spike? Most of them were Mormon.
LOL! Does that mean I stand corrected or confirmed?? Unless I'm mistaken, Young ran Deseret for 15 years, the Utah territory for 7 and he wasn't Governor at the time of the Golden Spike. You don't think the railroad barons wouldn't have put more Chinese and Irish on the job to finish the connection quick? Yer dreaming. Anyway, didn't Young die 20 years before Utah received statehood?

Aw gosh, I answered my own question. CONFIRMED.

Location hidden

#101743 Apr 29, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Yes they are interesting but are of absolutely no import in verification of a guy running around called Jesus since they are written 300 to 400 years after his supposed life... Again even the very few mentions of someone that might , maybe fit his later descriptors happened decades after the fact...

Not One mention, not one writing on a crap house wall, not a piece of pottery, not a document has been found after 2000 years of people ripping walls apart to find it has mention of such a person been found during the entirety of his life time...

And we are told that at his birth a star led wise men, animals gathered and all kinds of stuff that if true would have been of note in the local tabloid of the time... So from Birth people knew he was the Son of God, he preformed wondrous things and heal the blind... Yet during his life No One scribbled on a wall "Jesus was here" .. But during that same time frame we find Hundreds of writings, pottery showing sports stars, where the best whore houses are, how much wheat was stored, and all kinds of mundane day to day events memorialized..

Now I'm not saying some preacher guy didn't preach about a religion but at the time no one paid much attention and if he actually existed did nothing worth noting....
Uh no, some date back to 400 BC.

He was described as plain and ordinary, such as not to be desired. Only the ones that were looking out to find Him, believed it was really the messiah. The rest believed He was teaching against the Law of Moses.

I believe that if there is proof there is no need for faith. That is why you will not find "proof" of Jesus Christ. But I do not think it is wise to ignore all the evidence that is available.

Location hidden

#101744 Apr 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Not wholly accurate and not at all the point.
Believers TODAY think that the Bible is an accurate VERBATIM version of the events and of his speeches. That alone is evidence (and not the only evidence) that 'believers' worship the books, the messengers and the doctrines. Don't attempt to make excuses for the obvious.
I believe them to be very close to the truth.

Location hidden

#101745 Apr 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Does that mean I stand corrected or confirmed?? Unless I'm mistaken, Young ran Deseret for 15 years, the Utah territory for 7 and he wasn't Governor at the time of the Golden Spike. You don't think the railroad barons wouldn't have put more Chinese and Irish on the job to finish the connection quick? Yer dreaming. Anyway, didn't Young die 20 years before Utah received statehood?

There wouldn't have been a Utah, or a Salt Lake City as we know it without Brigham. Like it or not

Location hidden

#101746 Apr 29, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>LOL! Does that mean I stand corrected or confirmed?? Unless I'm mistaken, Young ran Deseret for 15 years, the Utah territory for 7 and he wasn't Governor at the time of the Golden Spike. You don't think the railroad barons wouldn't have put more Chinese and Irish on the job to finish the connection quick? Yer dreaming. Anyway, didn't Young die 20 years before Utah received statehood?

It really doesn't matter if he was governor, he as prophet, dictated the focus of most of the efforts of church members at that time. They were incredibly hard working. They turned a desert into a farmland in a short amount of time and made Utah a nice area to live. They helped settle Idaho, Utah, and New Mexico, all under the direction of Brigham.

East Bernstadt, KY

#101747 Apr 29, 2013
Just to mellow the mood... A moment of Zen..

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-02ifLHXfNk...
Sasha

Glasgow, KY

#101748 Apr 29, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
Just to mellow the mood... A moment of Zen..
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-02ifLHXfNk...
Fabulous! I am laughing so hard, I, on occasion, will read what you guys post on this never ending thread, just like a soap opera, I can tune in at anytime and follow the story line. You guys are truly funny at times! Someone needs to write a script for this topic and approach Hollywood, I can smell the money!

East Bernstadt, KY

#101749 Apr 29, 2013
Sasha wrote:
<quoted text> Fabulous! I am laughing so hard, I, on occasion, will read what you guys post on this never ending thread, just like a soap opera, I can tune in at anytime and follow the story line. You guys are truly funny at times! Someone needs to write a script for this topic and approach Hollywood, I can smell the money!
As long as they can get Timothy Olyphant to play my part I'll sign off on the screen play.....
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101750 Apr 29, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I've been called much worse than delusional. Carry on
(A) Let me begin by stating what I know to be a fact;
God ,said in ;
Jeremiah 29:13
You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
God did not say that I had to rely on Scienctific Experiments or theories in order to know him....
I tested that particular teaching ,as stated in Scriptures and found it to be true.
If either you,or,Science,wants to challenge the validity of what I believe,then they must test it in the same manner as I did.
If you are unable or unwilling to put it to that test,then you are eminently DISQUALIFIED to pass judgement on the results
Any conclusions that you may infer,are based on your opinion,not based on facts..
(B) You are claiming that if I am faced with circumstances for which I don't have a solution I
should keep them to myself and that possibly,eventually some coincidences may occur that may result in a solution to my problem.
HOW this will happen,nobody knows, When it will happen,nobody knows, Why it will happen,nobody knows, Who will cause it to happen,nobody knows,
If it will happen,nobody knows.
To say the least,that process is not very reassuring,there is no method by which one can test it for results, you have never tested it and yet you can vouch for it's results.
Science can neither logically or factually explain every part of the sequence of events that took place in my case.
You and the others,who claim to have given a logical and factual explanation ,did so, based on some inane personal opinions.
I order to claim that your opinions were factually correct,you would have to duplicate the events in question and explain how and why these coincidents occurred,in the manner they did.
On the otter hand , I have tested my method,as taught in Scriptures and what I have found is that,
When I have expressed my problems to God,in prayer, He has responded,as he said He would in Isaiah 65;24
I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers!
That He answers prayers immediately was confirmed in the issue relating to my dog,where you conveniently claimed that"time was irrelevant
I was praying at 9;AM and at exactly that same time,9;00AM, the lady was calling me to provide me with the information that,would lead me to my dog,that,in spite of the fact,that she did not believe the dog in question was my dog.
Subsequent prayers have been answered in the same manner.
As I see the problem,you believe that Science is able to provide answers to Spiritual issues.
Science does not posses that ability,therefore you are looking for an answer,where one will not be found.
I am not the cause for your not believing in God,therefore ,that is,your problem,not mine
I believe in God,which I consider a blessing
You are trying to convince me that I should exchange my blessing in order to end up with the problem by which,I believe, you and others are afflicted.
Rest assured that,your unbelief and that of others ,will in no way,weaken my faith
In fact,it has had the opposite effect,something you will not be able to understand
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101751 Apr 29, 2013
DOwhut,My apologies,I incorrectly responded to your post.It was meant for ummm

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jason carnes and stacy keys 29 min sucker 5
The Hitman 52 min Little one 2
Little George Marcum (Aug '13) 3 hr Need to know 21
joe ore rat 3 hr i KNOW 1
girl at advance yesterday buying windshield wipers 4 hr looking 1
Joshua vandusen 7 hr Sad 4
Review: Cumberland Outdoors LLC 8 hr William Mahony 1
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 17 hr Spur41 72

Winter Storm Warning for Knox County was issued at March 04 at 1:02PM EST

Barbourville Dating