Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
97,001 - 97,020 of 130,287 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>You have denied more science than what disputes miracles.
The only time I said science could not answer a question is with an afterlife. And I. The case of miracles, since God created everything, He can alter it at any time.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>International airline travel is rather expensive, especially for the unemployed.
I wish I understood you so I could respond. But you lost me at the on ramp.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I go from my own postulate that does have some major differences from the standard models so take it as such...
I think if my postulate is correct (Note using it I wrote that the Universe will expand at an ever increasing rate of expansion as it expands in 1984) then the Universe will expand at an ever increasing rate forever until we reach a zero reference point.. no gravity, no magnetism, no weak or strong nuclear forces... All will not exist so the Universe will just fade away much as a stone tossed in a pond with no shore line and after a period of time the waves stop and we are back to a quantum of energy since we would be the wave in the pond we cannot define the pond without us the wave in it...
If I am correct (Big Freakin If) this postulate explains the universe from the Instant of the BB to the state we see today to the dissolution at it's end while giving a specific Cause of gravity and unifies Quantum Mechanics, Relativity and Special Relativity ... Explains Uncertainty and how all matter will always self assemble into ever more complex forms ... But I could be wrong ;)
I am not sure, are you saying that planets will just cease to exist at some point in time? Over all I like your thoughts on the subject, where do you post your postulate? Why (if you have an opinion on it) do black holes exist at the center of galaxies and what do you suppose their function could be or could have been? Sorry for some reason my keyboard is leaving out letters, I am trying to correct them as I go. Bad wireless connection, low battery, problem with software, damn this devil device.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I would say the evidence points to the necessity of a restoration of the true church, as was prophesied.
Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious.
Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok. I must be more hungover than I thought. I, for the life of me, cannot see what your point is.
Never has one.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
HAhahaha. If you are going to suggest what people should be called on here based off of the character that they display, this should be really fun. We should invite all your favorite combatants. I'd love to see what they have to say. Hahaha
Tell you what... I'll change my name to "God's Mormon Warrior" and perhaps you'll understand.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see any correlation between a change in G over time and the relative worth of strong and weak force interactions. Matter won't simply fly apart into an apparent nothing of subatomic particles even if gravity ceased to exist at this moment. Would not bode well for existence as we know it, but there would certainly still be observable matter in abundance.
I also don't think that anywhere near a majority of what we observe and declare to be matter consists of only EM. We know far too much about the photon and its source (across a great many orders of magnitude of energy) for me to believe that. I'd say that there would indeed be some amount of observed EM that may not have a material source, so I agree on some level, but certainly nowhere near a majority of our observations.
"Matter won't simply fly apart into an apparent nothing of subatomic particles even if gravity ceased to exist at this moment."

I tend to agree.

What do you think the final outcome of the universe will be, if you have an opinion on it.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
"Matter won't simply fly apart into an apparent nothing of subatomic particles even if gravity ceased to exist at this moment."
I tend to agree.
What do you think the final outcome of the universe will be, if you have an opinion on it.
The greatest opinion I have on the subject is that dark matter must be better understood to come to a conclusion that could be called more than highly speculative. There is much support for both entropic death and big crunch/cyclic universe. The latter flies in the face of the second law of thermodynamics, though. And most of the recent evidence has, as discussed, indicated that expansion is accelerating. Since we currently know of nothing that will modify this, entropic death seems the more likely scenario to me. Though I also believe that entropy is asymptotic in nature, and that true absolute zero cannot be reached, it's likely that an effective or partial absolute zero can be.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it was supposed to be doctrine all along for blacks to hold the priesthood. But they will not change their stance on gays. If they do, feel free to say I told you so.
I was speaking of society though, not my church.
Well maybe they will not change on gays, but just what does that say for them?
They were wrong on black persons and I say they are wrong on gays.
They were behind society on progressive ideas. I showed how progressiveness can be good. You completely ignored the point.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"According to Gallup, the acceptance of homosexual relationships as normal is over 54% now. Among the younger generation, born in 2000 or after, it is way over 70% or 80%."
Now That's "Indoctrination"!
Actually its called statistics. But leave it a Fundie to get huffy when reality disagrees with his sacred bigotry.

“There is no god.”

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
The greatest opinion I have on the subject is that dark matter must be better understood to come to a conclusion that could be called more than highly speculative. There is much support for both entropic death and big crunch/cyclic universe. The latter flies in the face of the second law of thermodynamics, though. And most of the recent evidence has, as discussed, indicated that expansion is accelerating. Since we currently know of nothing that will modify this, entropic death seems the more likely scenario to me. Though I also believe that entropy is asymptotic in nature, and that true absolute zero cannot be reached, it's likely that an effective or partial absolute zero can be.
I realize it is all highly speculative when the universe is the subject. So are you saying that your opinion lends toward a lifeless universe full of rocks? Do you have an opinion on black holes and their reason for existence?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The kid didn't freak over the ear dangling. He couldn't see that. He freaked over all the blood. The father and the mother both saw the condition of the ear in plain daylight. The ear was held on by the part closest to the lobe. The top of the ear was dangling upside down below the lobe. No way to see that incorrectly and say it isn't as bad as it seems. The wound was significant as it was near complete amputation.
You'll forgive me if I can't reject reality as I know it and as medical science knows it in favor of believing a tall tale about miracles.

Show me the money. Next time, take pics and video. Then we'll talk.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
That'll make the pores of your skin emit stinky stenches....
It wasn't the pores emitting stenches that night. Beer makes you fart. Bad beer makes the farts violate the Geneva Convention.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
That's odd... It reminds me of clotting factors and fibrin.
Odder still, it reminds me of a story blown way out of proportion by people who believe in magic.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>an apologist is anyone who defends something. try being honest in the future.
even old school scientist tend to be apologetics for newer ideas that call into question old school understanding.
I didn't say anything about the definition of the word. It is rude to accuse me of dishonesty when you are being dishonest in the accusation.

When the term "apologist" is used it is almost always referring to a religious apologist. I understand what it means, and I know it can apply to other topics. But the most common use is this.

And that wasn't even the point. Try reading the post before replying.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>science knows from the placebo effect that modern scientific remedies can be ineffectual based on the patients belief/unbelief.
this isn't rocket science. a persons willingness to participate in a regimen is going to make the success more probable only through participation and the belief that it will work.
u can lead a horse to water but no matter how much you believe he needs to drink, the horse isn't going to take a sup until it wants to do so.
common sense
This is a weird reply. It doesn't even seem to have anything to do with what I posted. What is your point?

The placebo effect is complex. It is not magical. It is a placeholder name given to a set of possible factors other than actual medicine or treatment that can affect a person's condition. It is rarely very strong, but it is a real effect. Many people like to think this is where God works. And that is a God of the gaps fallacy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Radiolab had a great show (which ones aren't great?) on memory a few years back.
http://www.radiolab.org/2007/jun/07/
to download the podcast:
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/audio...
Fascinating stuff.
One of my favorite shows of all time! The episode on games is what hooked me. The one about checkers vs. chess.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife is my best human friend,not Spiritual friend.
She does not posses the qualities to be my Best FRIEND,as she is not able to bring me a "Peace that is beyond the world's understanding,something you can not understand and,although she is quick to point out my faults,she is unable to provide me with the proper solution as to how to how I may solve them.
I posted ,very clearly,who my Best Friend is,and the basis for my considering Jesus ,as my best friend.
This "Imaginary Friend ,as you call him,is my Best Friend.
This Imaginary Friend has helped me resolve some Real life problems
that I've had to face when no one else was able to help me
But ,that is what Best Frieds are for..
This Imaginary Friend has also made me become very aware of the many faults I posses,has helped me deal with them and has given me a Peace of mind that I had never experienced before.
As he said" My Peace I leave with You,not as the world knows it"
He has been my Friend and advisor.
The only payment he requires is that I be obedient to his teachings,which have proven themselves to be excellent.
let me ask you ;
Do you have a friend that you can compare to my "Imaginary Friend"?"
On the other hand,based on what you have written,the qualities you look for,in determining who can be your good friend,is simply,someone who is willing to watch a movie with you,while drinking some bad beer.
If that is what you want out of life,So be it
I also enjoy reading a good book and taking long walks on the beach.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The only time I said science could not answer a question is with an afterlife. And I. The case of miracles, since God created everything, He can alter it at any time.
But that sort of belief is a non-answer. This is why I get bored with discussions about holy ghosts and faith. It is all quite empty and meaningless in the end.

You are saying that you *believe* god created all and can change it if he wants. Your belief requires no evidence and it is based on no particular reason, other than a desire to believe it.

Once you admit this, the conversation ends. There is really nothing else we can say. Me or anyone else on here can post page after page of evidence discrediting Joseph Smith, or Jesus, or even Moses or anyone else in the Bible and in the end all you have to do is say you believe and have faith. Then we have accomplished absolutely nothing.

We are speaking entirely different languages with entirely different reasons and motivations.

Faith and reason are mutually exclusive.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
No, I don't.
Me either.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 57 min Jealous Person 3,474
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr Reality 150,034
Charmaine 1 hr Shameless 1
D Boone Days 2 hr Booneville Man 1
Lesb or Bi 2 hr Looking 1
Johnnie Mcgegor at csc 2 hr Lolol 2
KJB marriage straight from the bible!! Marriage... 3 hr Happy 5

Search the Barbourville Forum:
•••
•••