Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
96,961 - 96,980 of 128,758 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The three make up what we call the Godhead. They each have a purpose.
And yes, we are all gods, as the scriptures tell us. But we are not subject to each other.
Calling us all gods kind of makes the word meaningless. Strange you make it seem I am not capable of understanding this idea when "god" applies to billions of beings?
And to think we humans are not subject to each other is a serious problem. We are subject to each other. Our laws should be a testament to that. We have common curtsies we use to get along with each other, thus we are subject to each other.
Maybe you use the word "subject" as you do "god", in a meaningless fashion.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think one day in the extremely distant future everything will settle into stationary positions?
No... I think that the Majority of what we observe as matter is not real physical matter but simple EM waves that we being connected to that which we observe is perceived as real physical matter... So as the universe expands the UGC (Universal Gravitational Constant) is decreased and the effect of gravity locally causes dissolution of structure to the point that in the end the universe would consist of SPP's (Smallest Physical Particles) that have stopped ringing and are so widely spaced as to be considered non existent from any point of reference... we would be back at where we were at the time of the BB with a Zero frame of reference indefinable unified energy quantum..

It's very hard for humans to contemplate the Universe separate from themselves... We are and have always been inside the box.. Every particle of our being is connected to every particle of the universe. This makes it difficult to contemplate the idea of a universe where the very concept of space and time do not exist... It's this interconnected nature of the universe I submit is the reason we cannot integrate Physical Laws and Quantum mechanics.. We are inside the Box, can never leave the box, can never observe the outside of the box and are actually part of the box so defining the outside of the box is a real hard thing to do.....

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We are progressing to become more like Him. He tells us that if we follow His commandments we will be joint heirs with Christ and inherit the Kingdom of God.
So earth is not of gods kingdom? We have been told no human can follow all the rules as we are flawed beings, so is it not futile to aspire to be perfect? Do we really have to be so perfect to get to the supposed gods kingdom?

And I must again point out, if we are all gods, then what is gods kingdom?

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No... I think that the Majority of what we observe as matter is not real physical matter but simple EM waves that we being connected to that which we observe is perceived as real physical matter... So as the universe expands the UGC (Universal Gravitational Constant) is decreased and the effect of gravity locally causes dissolution of structure to the point that in the end the universe would consist of SPP's (Smallest Physical Particles) that have stopped ringing and are so widely spaced as to be considered non existent from any point of reference... we would be back at where we were at the time of the BB with a Zero frame of reference indefinable unified energy quantum..
It's very hard for humans to contemplate the Universe separate from themselves... We are and have always been inside the box.. Every particle of our being is connected to every particle of the universe. This makes it difficult to contemplate the idea of a universe where the very concept of space and time do not exist... It's this interconnected nature of the universe I submit is the reason we cannot integrate Physical Laws and Quantum mechanics.. We are inside the Box, can never leave the box, can never observe the outside of the box and are actually part of the box so defining the outside of the box is a real hard thing to do.....
A little over my head but I think I understand(barely). I know we have discussed this before but I have another question or two. Ok, the universe is expanding will it stop, retract or continue, in your opinion? If it were to continue would new stars still be born?

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So earth is not of gods kingdom? We have been told no human can follow all the rules as we are flawed beings, so is it not futile to aspire to be perfect? Do we really have to be so perfect to get to the supposed gods kingdom?
And I must again point out, if we are all gods, then what is gods kingdom?
Oz. Just a guess.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Not sure if their is a study that can tell us if religious people are in any more or less healthy environments.
It stands to reason if you tell a gay person they must marry someone of the opposite sex and claim not to be gay, they likely will be in an unhealthy relationship. I know this happens, as I know someone who has been in such a relationship.
I believe you are correct

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Like what? Like allowing black persons into the hierarchy of the Mormon church?
Society did not wait for the Mormon church to set the moral standard here, and it will not wait for the church to set the standard on who marries. Mormons will be last on that moral standard.

This tells me that the church is behind on morality, not progressive. You see, progression can be of good.

It was once taboo to divorce and thus stay in an abusive relationship.
I believe it was supposed to be doctrine all along for blacks to hold the priesthood. But they will not change their stance on gays. If they do, feel free to say I told you so.
I was speaking of society though, not my church.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Using your theory would it be possible to make a transporter like the one used in star trek?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>This would not be news to you if you'd bothered to learn about things before you criticize them.
I wasn't criticizing. Don't assume my motives. I just asked a question.
Gordy

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
This would not be news to you if you'd bothered to learn about things before you criticize them.
Why don't you just sit down and STFU? Let someone else talk for once.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>)Ok so seeing as how you avoid telling us just what form this holy ghost comes to you with answers, I will just assume the answer. I assume you think the holy ghost is guiding your brain to find answers. Of course this is what all religions claim and yet they have so many various answers that they war over the differences. Even other Mormon sects are supposedly getting different messages from this ghost. Thus I find it hard to believe you or anyone is actually being guided by some ghost.
I think you are guided by your preconceived beliefs. You wish to find answers that fit what you wish to find. Seeing as how none of the answers have a shred of evidence, you claim no one can prove you wrong.
Have you seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind " The film stars Russell Crowe. A true story of seeing and hearing things that a person believes is real. Great story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Beautiful_Mind...

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes,you do post whole paragraphs,chapter and verse.
The problem is,you do not understand the meaning of that which you are posting.
When you posted these verses from the Bible,you claimed that the Old Testament was to be abided by ,until the end of human existence,and that is false,and I explained to you why it is false.
(")“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”(Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.")
Jesus never said that the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence
What he did say,is 1)“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until ALL IS ACCOMPLISHED.
You failed to understand what "ALL IS ACCOMPLISHED" means It means to fulfill
as stated by Jesus
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill
In other words,He fulfilled that which is stated in the Law,the 10 commandments,by not violating any of them.
Something,no one had previously accomplished,nor has any one since.
He fulfilled what the Prophets had foretold about him,specifically The Prophecy: Isaiah 52:13-53:12[4],among others.
He established a New Covenant,as foretold in the Old Testament;
Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts.
This is all confirmed in the New Testament,and specifically,how this transformation was to come about.
When confronted with these facts,you are unwilling to believe them,but are powerless to logically refute them.
Other than to say,I don't believe in God,therefore they are not true.
But,on the other hand,you are willing to believe and quote Jesus,in order to confirm your erroneous opinions
My bullshit meter is going off

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Gordy wrote:
<quoted text>Why don't you just sit down and STFU? Let someone else talk for once.
If you do not like his/her post do not read them, simple really.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
A little over my head but I think I understand(barely). I know we have discussed this before but I have another question or two. Ok, the universe is expanding will it stop, retract or continue, in your opinion? If it were to continue would new stars still be born?
Well I go from my own postulate that does have some major differences from the standard models so take it as such...

I think if my postulate is correct (Note using it I wrote that the Universe will expand at an ever increasing rate of expansion as it expands in 1984) then the Universe will expand at an ever increasing rate forever until we reach a zero reference point.. no gravity, no magnetism, no weak or strong nuclear forces... All will not exist so the Universe will just fade away much as a stone tossed in a pond with no shore line and after a period of time the waves stop and we are back to a quantum of energy since we would be the wave in the pond we cannot define the pond without us the wave in it...

If I am correct (Big Freakin If) this postulate explains the universe from the Instant of the BB to the state we see today to the dissolution at it's end while giving a specific Cause of gravity and unifies Quantum Mechanics, Relativity and Special Relativity ... Explains Uncertainty and how all matter will always self assemble into ever more complex forms ... But I could be wrong ;)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Still not very clear. If you think only a few words is all it takes to define what your gods are, then I can understand why you think it is a simple concept. It is not a simple concept.
You say here that he is a son of god, but preface it with "begotten", which means "only or unique", so you must understand why I am confused as to why you continue to claim is not the son of god. Just what part of "son" is Jesus not?

So you think the LDS has some inside info from the holy ghost? You do know that other sects and denominations claim to consult a holy ghost. So can you tell me a plausible reason they are not being told the LDS story?
You left out a word or two, but are you saying I am claiming Jesus is not the only begotten Son of God?
First you ask for clarification because you aren't following me. So I simplify the best way I know how. Then you say it's too simple of an answer.
I don't know how to help you understand.
I'll try again.
God the Father , whose name is Elohim, is the Father of our spirits. During the council in heaven, He told us of His plan for us to progress further to become more like Him. We had developed talents and personalities, but could not gain a body unless we had this experience on earth. He has a body, so to be like Him, we needed one too. So He told us this plan and that this experience out of His presence will help us grow as individuals and gain knowledge. Since He wanted us to have free will, He knew sin would be introduced which would prevent us from returning to live with Him, since sin cannot be near him. A veil would be placed over our remembrance so we do not remember our time with Him, as then there would be no test of faith.
He explained that an atonement must be made of pure, perfect blood. Jesus said He would be that sacrifice so God's children could return to live with Him and He would allow them to choose good over evil. Lucifer also said he would go but would allow no one to choose and all would return. But he wanted all the glory of God because he did it, not God.
God chose Jesus and Lucifer rebelled, forfeiting his first estate. He will never have a body. So in that sense, we are more powerful than Satan.
So we all chose to come here. We are all sons and daughters of our Father in Heaven. Jesus had no earthly father though. That is why He is different. Mary knew no man. Elohim was His spiritual father and earthly father. This is why Jesus had the power to lay down His life and take it up again.

For your second question: yes, I believe that the authority to act in God's name (the Holy Priesthood) was lost shortly after the death if the original apostles and the apostasy that was prophesied did indeed occur. And I believe the restoration that was also prophesied has also occurred and the priesthood is found in the LDS church. Through that priesthood, the gift of the Holy Ghost can be bestowed on others by the laying on of hands. This is different than feeling the promptings of the Holy Ghost.
I relate it to light. Feeling or hearing the Holy Ghost is like having short bursts of lightning while lost in the dark woods. You can see you briefly to take one or two steps forward, but that's it. The gift of the Holy Ghost is like having your own flashlight.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>If "god" were to reveal "the path"(or truth) to religies over time, and religies use their special understanding, they recognize this "path" instantly, as each religie recognizes this "path"
they would all end up (logically) in the same church.

So what do we see today, 6000 years into "gods" reign. Over 30,000 christian cults alone. Ignorant religies have fought sometimes to the death over their imaginary friends, they condemn each other to eternal damnation, every group claiming they worship the one true god. No cohesiveness at all, except for the delusions.

I would say the evidence points to no god.
I would say the evidence points to the necessity of a restoration of the true church, as was prophesied.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So is using the word "godhead" mean they are one somehow? You have already claimed Jesus did not have the mind of god the father, so just what is the "oneness"?
And just why do so many religious people get bent out of shape if someone says this is not monotheism?
They are three separate beings. They are one in purpose. Just as Jesus told the apostles they would be one with him. He meant one in purpose.
Those that believe in the Trinity will be offended by this. I attribute this to the Council of Nicaea and their erroneous efforts to combine all the confused beliefs of their time.
They invented the idea of the Trinity. And this is why they would be offended.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>My bullshit meter is going off
That happens when you post something about which ,you have no knowledge. That is your "Bullshit meter going off.
I've been trying to tell you that.
I just have not used the crude words which you have used to describe what ails you....
A wise man speaks,when he has something to say,A fool speaks,when he has to say somerhing

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well I did ask before and you answered that it was not a ghost putting thoughts in your head. Now you tell me it is essentially a ghost putting thoughts in your head.
But thanks for answering a bit more clearly this time, even though you do not get very detailed, like telling us just what sort of physical touch you felt. Seems to me if you really felt something, you should be able to describe just what it felt like. The fact you omit this information makes me think it was not real.

In general, I think what you think and feel is due to your emotional state at the moment. Your brain can come up with ideas with no help from ghosts. So as you explain this, I feel you must not understand how the human brain works on its own. The fact you deny science makes me conclude this assumption.
I do not deny science in general, just in the case of miracles.
I omit some of these details because it wouldn't matter in most cases if I described to you what the touch felt like (for example). So I don't waste the time to type it.
You can attribute these things to my emotional state if you want, but since I experienced these things, I know better. You will never believe me unless you experience it for yourself. The nice thing is, you can experience these things. But I cannot take the necessary steps for you to prepare for them. It is up to you. If you spent half of the time that you spend trying to explain away the experiences of others, and apply it to trying to find out for yourself, you'd have already experienced it.

And I do not recall your question or my answer in how I experience the Holy Ghost, or Holy Spirit.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 28, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't see any correlation between a change in G over time and the relative worth of strong and weak force interactions. Matter won't simply fly apart into an apparent nothing of subatomic particles even if gravity ceased to exist at this moment. Would not bode well for existence as we know it, but there would certainly still be observable matter in abundance.

I also don't think that anywhere near a majority of what we observe and declare to be matter consists of only EM. We know far too much about the photon and its source (across a great many orders of magnitude of energy) for me to believe that. I'd say that there would indeed be some amount of observed EM that may not have a material source, so I agree on some level, but certainly nowhere near a majority of our observations.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

85 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
whats wrong with Shannon Fergerson? 3 min na na 3
whats wrong with stephanie Mills from gregory l... 4 min na na 3
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 6 min Jack 146,425
Home!! 18 min help 1
Betsy 21 min Just heard about Betsy 1
where is jon jon at 52 min fred 1
Is Gary Williams won the Mayors race ? 1 hr get real 8
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 8 hr contempt 417
Stivers Center fixes 9 hr smokejumper 54