Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,115

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#101491 Apr 28, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No big crunch in our future... The rate of expansion of the universe will continue at an ever increasing rate and, If my postulate is correct, the value of c will also increase and the UGC will decrease as it expands until all individual physical particles stop producing EM waves...
Do you think one day in the extremely distant future everything will settle into stationary positions?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#101492 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Does not seem to stop the progression of things that were taboo 50 years ago
Like what? Like allowing black persons into the hierarchy of the Mormon church?
Society did not wait for the Mormon church to set the moral standard here, and it will not wait for the church to set the standard on who marries. Mormons will be last on that moral standard.

This tells me that the church is behind on morality, not progressive. You see, progression can be of good.

It was once taboo to divorce and thus stay in an abusive relationship.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101493 Apr 28, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I post whole paragraphs with the book, chapter and verse so you can look it up yourself. So do you want to try another angle?
Yes,you do post whole paragraphs,chapter and verse.
The problem is,you do not understand the meaning of that which you are posting.
When you posted these verses from the Bible,you claimed that the Old Testament was to be abided by ,until the end of human existence,and that is false,and I explained to you why it is false.

(")“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”(Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.")

Jesus never said that the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence

What he did say,is 1)“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until ALL IS ACCOMPLISHED.
You failed to understand what "ALL IS ACCOMPLISHED" means It means to fulfill
as stated by Jesus
"Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill
In other words,He fulfilled that which is stated in the Law,the 10 commandments,by not violating any of them.
Something,no one had previously accomplished,nor has any one since.
He fulfilled what the Prophets had foretold about him,specifically The Prophecy: Isaiah 52:13-53:12[4],among others.
He established a New Covenant,as foretold in the Old Testament;
Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts.

This is all confirmed in the New Testament,and specifically,how this transformation was to come about.
When confronted with these facts,you are unwilling to believe them,but are powerless to logically refute them.
Other than to say,I don't believe in God,therefore they are not true.
But,on the other hand,you are willing to believe and quote Jesus,in order to confirm your erroneous opinions

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101494 Apr 28, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>I'm not following you. No one said short men weren't reproducing. It's about rates and averages. The average height of the human population is several inches taller now than it was several centuries ago. I'm attempting (albeit unsuccessfully) to explain how that can be explained by evolution. And it's due (at least in part) to reproduction rates. The rate of reproduction for taller men is greater than the reproduction rate of shorter men...on average. Does that make sense?
Yes that makes some sense

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#101495 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the purpose of us growing taller today? Basketball? To reach things on the tallest shelf?
There is no Purpose... Evolutions does not have a plan and direction... It is what it is... I would venture it is a due to the vast majority that live the longest have better diets and less death and disease along with self selection where tall, straight people have a better chance of finding a mate and procreating along with shorter populations on the past being able to mate with diverse taller populations that did no occur in our isolation of the past... North Korea is on Average several inches shorter than the world norm due to such isolation and poor diet for just a few decades... Evolution is simple a species ability to adapt to the conditions presented, There is no purpose or direction...

Say Tomorrow we have a 40 degree crustal shift.... Placing the north pole down around England, causing earth quakes, 1000 foot tsunamis, volcanoes and all sorts of catastrophe and just a few 10's of 1000's of humans survive the event we would be left with a reduced gene pool and a new set of environmental conditions to contend with... What Man would look like, how he would adapt in form and structure in the following 30 or 40 thousand years may be completely different than the form and structure we have today...

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#101496 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that makes some sense
This would not be news to you if you'd bothered to learn about things before you criticize them.

Location hidden

#101497 Apr 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>)Ok so seeing as how you avoid telling us just what form this holy ghost comes to you with answers, I will just assume the answer. I assume you think the holy ghost is guiding your brain to find answers. Of course this is what all religions claim and yet they have so many various answers that they war over the differences. Even other Mormon sects are supposedly getting different messages from this ghost. Thus I find it hard to believe you or anyone is actually being guided by some ghost.
I think you are guided by your preconceived beliefs. You wish to find answers that fit what you wish to find. Seeing as how none of the answers have a shred of evidence, you claim no one can prove you wrong.
No one asked me how I experience the Holy Ghost, or I would have answered that question.

I have felt His presence by spontaneous knowledge that I didn't have previously. I have physically felt His presence in response to a question I asked in prayer, in a manner that affected my strength and my mind at the same time. I have felt a physical touch in the middle of a prayer led by someone else that was trying to convince me that my beliefs were wrong. And I have been given thoughts in my own head that were not of me with instruction to do something for the benefit of my family (which had I not followed, I would have been killed). And I have felt His promptings when about to encounter something dangerous.
These are the ways that I feel His influence.
None of these experiences are proof to anyone but the person that experienced it. So if you really want to know, try for yourself.

I'd like to hear how others feel His presence and guidance.

Location hidden

#101498 Apr 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Still vague, but we are getting a tiny bit of clarification. So their is more than one god? God the father and god the Jesus? Any more gods? Is the holy ghost a god?
The three make up what we call the Godhead. They each have a purpose.

And yes, we are all gods, as the scriptures tell us. But we are not subject to each other.

Location hidden

#101499 Apr 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>But if we are not like him, then we are not gods. If we were all gods, it would not make any sense to worship a god.
We are progressing to become more like Him. He tells us that if we follow His commandments we will be joint heirs with Christ and inherit the Kingdom of God.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101500 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't say this any more clearly than this: Jesus and God the Father are not the same being. Both have their own body of flesh and bone. Do you understand this answer?
The Father (God) is the Father of all our spirits. And He is also the physical Father of Jesus Christ which is why He is called the only begotten Son.
Is that clear enough for you to understand?
I don't speak in code so I'm not sure why you have so much trouble comprehending me.
The Holy Ghost can answer anyone. However the LDS church is the only church to claim the Father and the Son, along with 3 resurrected apostles and angels restored the church.
Still not very clear. If you think only a few words is all it takes to define what your gods are, then I can understand why you think it is a simple concept. It is not a simple concept.
You say here that he is a son of god, but preface it with "begotten", which means "only or unique", so you must understand why I am confused as to why you continue to claim is not the son of god. Just what part of "son" is Jesus not?

So you think the LDS has some inside info from the holy ghost? You do know that other sects and denominations claim to consult a holy ghost. So can you tell me a plausible reason they are not being told the LDS story?

Location hidden

#101501 Apr 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So then why do you not believe the claim of the Koran? If holy books are narrowing the path of what god is saying, you sure are ignoring some of the paths.
I think the Koran says Jesus was a prophet, so why do not believe it?
Jesus was more than a prophet. He is the Son of God and the messiah. Since I have received a testimony that Jesus is the Christ and the Son of God, any book that says otherwise, will be discounted. There are some wise words in there, but they are not scripture.

#101502 Apr 28, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question. Why have some wolves "evolved" to chihuahua's while others have not. Chinese bonsai methods would not be applicable, as human intervention would not constitute natural evolution.
So your answer is?
Human intervention Does absolutely constitute natural selection... Just as if a disease came along and killed only wolves with red hair, or a pack were to become isolated on a remote island with different food sources and environment... Human selection of traits during breeding acts as a natural effector on specific lines of variation... There is no difference from a non human natural environmental change causing variation and humans causing variation... Since humans act as a Drastic environmental pressure we see a Drastic evolutionary change in the species we choose to act upon... while those species we choose not to act as a drastic environmental effector do not change fast because they exist in a fairly stable condition...

Let a bunch of chihuahua's loose in the wild were they can breed with wild dogs and in short order those chihuahua's would not be as they are now....

“There is no god.”

USA

#101503 Apr 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So then why do you not believe the claim of the Koran? If holy books are narrowing the path of what god is saying, you sure are ignoring some of the paths.
I think the Koran says Jesus was a prophet, so why do not believe it?
If "god" were to reveal "the path"(or truth) to religies over time, and religies use their special understanding, they recognize this "path" instantly, as each religie recognizes this "path"
they would all end up (logically) in the same church.

So what do we see today, 6000 years into "gods" reign. Over 30,000 christian cults alone. Ignorant religies have fought sometimes to the death over their imaginary friends, they condemn each other to eternal damnation, every group claiming they worship the one true god. No cohesiveness at all, except for the delusions.

I would say the evidence points to no god.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101504 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
And yes, we are all gods, as the scriptures tell us. But we are not subject to each other.
So is using the word "godhead" mean they are one somehow? You have already claimed Jesus did not have the mind of god the father, so just what is the "oneness"?
And just why do so many religious people get bent out of shape if someone says this is not monotheism?
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#101505 Apr 28, 2013
Missy wrote:
<quoted text>How did they know when to stop evolving?
they dont know when to stop evolving, it just keeps on goin. when did anyone ever say evolution stoppped?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101506 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No one asked me how I experience the Holy Ghost, or I would have answered that question.
I have felt His presence by spontaneous knowledge that I didn't have previously. I have physically felt His presence in response to a question I asked in prayer, in a manner that affected my strength and my mind at the same time. I have felt a physical touch in the middle of a prayer led by someone else that was trying to convince me that my beliefs were wrong. And I have been given thoughts in my own head that were not of me with instruction to do something for the benefit of my family (which had I not followed, I would have been killed). And I have felt His promptings when about to encounter something dangerous.
These are the ways that I feel His influence.
None of these experiences are proof to anyone but the person that experienced it. So if you really want to know, try for yourself.
I'd like to hear how others feel His presence and guidance.
Well I did ask before and you answered that it was not a ghost putting thoughts in your head. Now you tell me it is essentially a ghost putting thoughts in your head.
But thanks for answering a bit more clearly this time, even though you do not get very detailed, like telling us just what sort of physical touch you felt. Seems to me if you really felt something, you should be able to describe just what it felt like. The fact you omit this information makes me think it was not real.

In general, I think what you think and feel is due to your emotional state at the moment. Your brain can come up with ideas with no help from ghosts. So as you explain this, I feel you must not understand how the human brain works on its own. The fact you deny science makes me conclude this assumption.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101507 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Calling us all gods kind of makes the word meaningless. Strange you make it seem I am not capable of understanding this idea when "god" applies to billions of beings?
And to think we humans are not subject to each other is a serious problem. We are subject to each other. Our laws should be a testament to that. We have common curtsies we use to get along with each other, thus we are subject to each other.
Maybe you use the word "subject" as you do "god", in a meaningless fashion.

#101508 Apr 28, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think one day in the extremely distant future everything will settle into stationary positions?
No... I think that the Majority of what we observe as matter is not real physical matter but simple EM waves that we being connected to that which we observe is perceived as real physical matter... So as the universe expands the UGC (Universal Gravitational Constant) is decreased and the effect of gravity locally causes dissolution of structure to the point that in the end the universe would consist of SPP's (Smallest Physical Particles) that have stopped ringing and are so widely spaced as to be considered non existent from any point of reference... we would be back at where we were at the time of the BB with a Zero frame of reference indefinable unified energy quantum..

It's very hard for humans to contemplate the Universe separate from themselves... We are and have always been inside the box.. Every particle of our being is connected to every particle of the universe. This makes it difficult to contemplate the idea of a universe where the very concept of space and time do not exist... It's this interconnected nature of the universe I submit is the reason we cannot integrate Physical Laws and Quantum mechanics.. We are inside the Box, can never leave the box, can never observe the outside of the box and are actually part of the box so defining the outside of the box is a real hard thing to do.....

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101509 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We are progressing to become more like Him. He tells us that if we follow His commandments we will be joint heirs with Christ and inherit the Kingdom of God.
So earth is not of gods kingdom? We have been told no human can follow all the rules as we are flawed beings, so is it not futile to aspire to be perfect? Do we really have to be so perfect to get to the supposed gods kingdom?

And I must again point out, if we are all gods, then what is gods kingdom?

“There is no god.”

USA

#101510 Apr 28, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
No... I think that the Majority of what we observe as matter is not real physical matter but simple EM waves that we being connected to that which we observe is perceived as real physical matter... So as the universe expands the UGC (Universal Gravitational Constant) is decreased and the effect of gravity locally causes dissolution of structure to the point that in the end the universe would consist of SPP's (Smallest Physical Particles) that have stopped ringing and are so widely spaced as to be considered non existent from any point of reference... we would be back at where we were at the time of the BB with a Zero frame of reference indefinable unified energy quantum..
It's very hard for humans to contemplate the Universe separate from themselves... We are and have always been inside the box.. Every particle of our being is connected to every particle of the universe. This makes it difficult to contemplate the idea of a universe where the very concept of space and time do not exist... It's this interconnected nature of the universe I submit is the reason we cannot integrate Physical Laws and Quantum mechanics.. We are inside the Box, can never leave the box, can never observe the outside of the box and are actually part of the box so defining the outside of the box is a real hard thing to do.....
A little over my head but I think I understand(barely). I know we have discussed this before but I have another question or two. Ok, the universe is expanding will it stop, retract or continue, in your opinion? If it were to continue would new stars still be born?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 15 min independent repub... 7,393
Ky Momma 1 hr guy 2
Stealing from child's grave 3 hr Coke And A Smile 23
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 hr John316 155,559
ItsBarbourville on ustream 4 hr neo cons cant 2
Girls at Flatlick Dolar General? 5 hr friend 19
McDonald's 5 hr j j j 8
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville Jobs

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]