Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
96,921 - 96,940 of 130,469 Comments Last updated 15 min ago

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#101466 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Right, because the boy screaming in pain and freaking at the sight of blood could have been an illusion. All of that pain equates to his dad fooling him like pulling a penny out of his ear.
Haha. Whatever. You say 1 witness is enough, then try your best to discount 3 witnesses.
Proof, evidence, whatever you want to call it, it is convincing enough to me, as it would be to any one of you that had this happen to a close friend of yours that you have always trusted as an honest person, as well as their spouse.
You all claim that miracles aren't possible because they are always a coincidence. I give you a good example of one that could not be coincidence, and you all treat me as if I am a fool. Thanks for fulfilling scripture.
Thanks for allowing my "penny in the ear" analogy to gracefully whoosh over your head. I wasn't making comparisons to the kid in the story. Maybe you'll figure it out now.

Also, it's highly insulting to act as though others would have the same low standard of proof as you do. There is literally no way that I would believe such garbage. Believe me, I have been told more than one thing that is of this magnitude, and I believed none of it. I totally believed that the other person believed what they were telling me, though.

I will note that it must be convenient to be able to say "thanks for fulfilling scripture" and think you "got" somebody. Too bad you apparently don't realize that much of scripture was written to combat skepticism and logic.
Brian_G wrote:
Being educated means understanding the bible too.
Understanding the Bible means not believing it.
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm enjoying your posts. Keep it up!
Thank you.
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>an apologist is anyone who defends something. try being honest in the future.
They are being totally honest in this context. It should be VERY clear to you that nobody is talking about science here.
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>"According to Gallup, the acceptance of homosexual relationships as normal is over 54% now. Among the younger generation, born in 2000 or after, it is way over 70% or 80%."
Now That's "Indoctrination"!
What a pile of trash you are. That is the product of FEWER being "indoctrinated" into your hateful religion, and others like it, and MORE being allowed to see that all people should be afforded the same rights. Now that's progress and an improvement to our society.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the purpose of us growing taller today? Basketball? To reach things on the tallest shelf?
Why don't you understand evolution? And why don't you understand the difference between evolution and diet/medicine/environmental contaminants.
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Good question. Why have some wolves "evolved" to chihuahua's while others have not. Chinese bonsai methods would not be applicable, as human intervention would not constitute natural evolution.
So your answer is?
Yours is not a good question. The process is NO different. The only difference is what causes more frequent transmittal of certain traits. In natural selection it is the environment. Here it is people. Not difficult.
TruthIs wrote:
Prefers the sons going to schools, where there's some actual beneficial educational diversity in instruction happening, for future societal well being.
It helps when it comes to reading books, like the Bible, and whatever other books may be essential in future developement of intelligence and characters of decency.
I can't tell if you're trolling. Really.
TruthIs

London, KY

#101467 Apr 28, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife.
Also my best friend.
Also a few other good friends.
And they are all real. I watched a movie with one of them the other day. We drank some terrible beer.
That'll make the pores of your skin emit stinky stenches....
TruthIs

London, KY

#101468 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Tithing is a concept older that Abraham. You can't pin that one on Smith.
It's probably how the Boston bomber got a visa to "visit" Russia in 012 too, after being put on a terrorist watch list in 011.
TruthIs

London, KY

#101470 Apr 28, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not posting from a fishing boat.

Is that better?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#101471 Apr 28, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Reminds me of the story in the bible where Jesus reattaches the man's ear.
That's odd... It reminds me of clotting factors and fibrin.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101472 Apr 28, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife.
Also my best friend.
Also a few other good friends.
And they are all real. I watched a movie with one of them the other day. We drank some terrible beer.
My wife is my best human friend,not Spiritual friend.
She does not posses the qualities to be my Best FRIEND,as she is not able to bring me a "Peace that is beyond the world's understanding,something you can not understand and,although she is quick to point out my faults,she is unable to provide me with the proper solution as to how to how I may solve them.

I posted ,very clearly,who my Best Friend is,and the basis for my considering Jesus ,as my best friend.
This "Imaginary Friend ,as you call him,is my Best Friend.
This Imaginary Friend has helped me resolve some Real life problems
that I've had to face when no one else was able to help me
But ,that is what Best Frieds are for..
This Imaginary Friend has also made me become very aware of the many faults I posses,has helped me deal with them and has given me a Peace of mind that I had never experienced before.
As he said" My Peace I leave with You,not as the world knows it"
He has been my Friend and advisor.
The only payment he requires is that I be obedient to his teachings,which have proven themselves to be excellent.
let me ask you ;
Do you have a friend that you can compare to my "Imaginary Friend"?"

On the other hand,based on what you have written,the qualities you look for,in determining who can be your good friend,is simply,someone who is willing to watch a movie with you,while drinking some bad beer.
If that is what you want out of life,So be it

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101473 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What is the purpose of us growing taller today? Basketball? To reach things on the tallest shelf?
You're making a classic mistake with understanding evolution. Evolution itself does not have "purpose" other than the propagation of successful genes... whatever the reason.
In other words, certain characteristics allow individuals to reproduce more either because of survival (longer necked giraffes obtain more food) or selection (girls like tall guys). Make sense?
It may sound silly to you, but studies have shown that taller men are likelier to reproduce then shorter men...all other things being "equal".
TruthIs

London, KY

#101474 Apr 28, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The "good ol' days" never existed. As far as debasing yourself before sheets of dried reed pulp, you know what they say... GIGO.
Sure they did-look how far back!!

>"Aristotle—the only philosopher to whom Ptolemy refers explicitly—had distinguished between practical and theoretical philosophy, and Ptolemy used that distinction, noting that education is needed for theoretical philosophy but not for practical philosophy. Ptolemy also wrote that Aristotle had divided theoretical philosophy into three branches: physics, mathematics, and theology." quote-unquote-the-innernet

(RUTROH-there's that theology werDUH again--even in considerations of PRE-Jesus times. Huh, imagine that!)
TruthIs

London, KY

#101475 Apr 28, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
You're making a classic mistake with understanding evolution. Evolution itself does not have "purpose" other than the propagation of successful genes... whatever the reason.
In other words, certain characteristics allow individuals to reproduce more either because of survival (longer necked giraffes obtain more food) or selection (girls like tall guys). Make sense?
It may sound silly to you, but studies have shown that taller men are likelier to reproduce then shorter men...all other things being "equal".
Both Ptolemy and Aristotle held theology to be one of the main branches of philosophy. It should be noted, however, that they were Greek pagans who held to the Greek pantheon of gods and the Greek understanding of the behavior and activity of the gods. It would be a mistake, therefore, to think that their theological investigations and speculations were equivalent or similar to what Jewish, Christian, or Muslim theologians or scholars would say about either the methods or objects of theology. Yet, by putting theology in with what they called physics (or what is today called natural science) and mathematics as the central concerns of philosophy,
-----
Ptolemy and Aristotle differed from present-day secular scientists, philosophers, and epistemologists, who have no role for or interest in theology. See also: Skeptical Speclackles and quantinaluminum, and chrolioman.

Location hidden

#101476 Apr 28, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>Thanks for allowing my "penny in the ear" analogy to gracefully whoosh over your head. I wasn't making comparisons to the kid in the story. Maybe you'll figure it out now.

Also, it's highly insulting to act as though others would have the same low standard of proof as you do. There is literally no way that I would believe such garbage. Believe me, I have been told more than one thing that is of this magnitude, and I believed none of it. I totally believed that the other person believed what they were telling me, though.

I will note that it must be convenient to be able to say "thanks for fulfilling scripture" and think you "got" somebody. Too bad you apparently don't realize that much of scripture was written to combat skepticism and logic.
Brian_G wrote, "Being educated means understanding the bible too."

Understanding the Bible means not believing it.
Yiago wrote, "<quoted text>
I'm enjoying your posts. Keep it up!
"

Thank you.
harpocrates wrote, "<quoted text>an apologist is anyone who defends something. try being honest in the future."

They are being totally honest in this context. It should be VERY clear to you that nobody is talking about science here.
Yes and Amen wrote, "<quoted text>"According to Gallup, the acceptance of homosexual relationships as normal is over 54% now. Among the younger generation, born in 2000 or after, it is way over 70% or 80%."
Now That's "Indoctrination"!
"

What a pile of trash you are. That is the product of FEWER being "indoctrinated" into your hateful religion, and others like it, and MORE being allowed to see that all people should be afforded the same rights. Now that's progress and an improvement to our society.
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
What is the purpose of us growing taller today? Basketball? To reach things on the tallest shelf?"

Why don't you understand evolution? And why don't you understand the difference between evolution and diet/medicine/environmental contaminants.
TruthIs wrote, "<quoted text>
Good question. Why have some wolves "evolved" to chihuahua's while others have not. Chinese bonsai methods would not be applicable, as human intervention would not constitute natural evolution.
So your answer is?
"

Yours is not a good question. The process is NO different. The only difference is what causes more frequent transmittal of certain traits. In natural selection it is the environment. Here it is people. Not difficult.
TruthIs wrote, "Prefers the sons going to schools, where there's some actual beneficial educational diversity in instruction happening, for future societal well being.
It helps when it comes to reading books, like the Bible, and whatever other books may be essential in future developement of intelligence and characters of decency.
"

I still stand by my comments. Again, thanks

Location hidden

#101477 Apr 28, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>It's probably how the Boston bomber got a visa to "visit" Russia in 012 too, after being put on a terrorist watch list in 011.
That doesn't even make sense with my comment.
Tithing is how he got a visa?

Location hidden

#101478 Apr 28, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>Reminds me of the story in the bible where Jesus reattaches the man's ear.
It does indeed.
I'm sure all the other soldiers didn't believe him either.

Location hidden

#101479 Apr 28, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>You're making a classic mistake with understanding evolution. Evolution itself does not have "purpose" other than the propagation of successful genes... whatever the reason.
I'd believe that was necessary if no short men were reproducing.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#101480 Apr 28, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure they did-look how far back!!
>"Aristotle—the only philosopher to whom Ptolemy refers explicitly—had distinguished between practical and theoretical philosophy, and Ptolemy used that distinction, noting that education is needed for theoretical philosophy but not for practical philosophy. Ptolemy also wrote that Aristotle had divided theoretical philosophy into three branches: physics, mathematics, and theology." quote-unquote-the-innernet
(RUTROH-there's that theology werDUH again--even in considerations of PRE-Jesus times. Huh, imagine that!)
Rutroh. TruthIsn't will now pronounce that bloodletting is a sure cure for karkinos, vapours and consumption - just like it was in the Good Ol' Days.

Location hidden

#101481 Apr 28, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Both Ptolemy and Aristotle held theology to be one of the main branches of philosophy. It should be noted, however, that they were Greek pagans who held to the Greek pantheon of gods and the Greek understanding of the behavior and activity of the gods. It would be a mistake, therefore, to think that their theological investigations and speculations were equivalent or similar to what Jewish, Christian, or Muslim theologians or scholars would say about either the methods or objects of theology. Yet, by putting theology in with what they called physics (or what is today called natural science) and mathematics as the central concerns of philosophy,
-----
Ptolemy and Aristotle differed from present-day secular scientists, philosophers, and epistemologists, who have no role for or interest in theology. See also: Skeptical Speclackles and quantinaluminum, and chrolioman.
Correct, I have no interest or role in theology. What, in Zeus's beard, does that have to do with evolution?

Location hidden

#101482 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not following you. No one said short men weren't reproducing. It's about rates and averages. The average height of the human population is several inches taller now than it was several centuries ago. I'm attempting (albeit unsuccessfully) to explain how that can be explained by evolution. And it's due (at least in part) to reproduction rates. The rate of reproduction for taller men is greater than the reproduction rate of shorter men...on average. Does that make sense?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#101483 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I questioned. And yes, after months of soul searching study, I did receive an answer that I could not deny was from God.
I asked many questions. And I dug up as much anti-mormon literature I could find. It was interesting how those questions became answers when talking to the missionaries. Even questions that other denominations said we don't know yet.
And I read the Book of Mormon and I studied church doctrine. Believing that Joseph was a prophet came last for me after seeing how God worked through him to build this church.
)Ok so seeing as how you avoid telling us just what form this holy ghost comes to you with answers, I will just assume the answer. I assume you think the holy ghost is guiding your brain to find answers. Of course this is what all religions claim and yet they have so many various answers that they war over the differences. Even other Mormon sects are supposedly getting different messages from this ghost. Thus I find it hard to believe you or anyone is actually being guided by some ghost.
I think you are guided by your preconceived beliefs. You wish to find answers that fit what you wish to find. Seeing as how none of the answers have a shred of evidence, you claim no one can prove you wrong.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101484 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
God the Father. The one Jesus prayed to and worshipped. The one that Jesus called the Father.
He is the Father of our spirits.
Still vague, but we are getting a tiny bit of clarification. So their is more than one god? God the father and god the Jesus? Any more gods? Is the holy ghost a god?

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#101485 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. You REALLY don't understand evolution.

And I'm not just trying to insult you. I'm stating fact. Try learning about it before speaking because you're making yourself look like an idiot.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101486 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No Jesus did not say it is not written. He was asking them "is it not written?" To remind them that He said this before.
We all are children of God the Father. We are progressing to become more like Him. In that sense, we are gods. That's what He told us.
But if we are not like him, then we are not gods. If we were all gods, it would not make any sense to worship a god.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 11 min Mitch 1,282
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 40 min Nutz 151,117
Travis slushpup 59 min Brenda 6
betty mills 2 hr friend 3
hot girl a the funeral home 5 hr wow 7
Johnnie Mcgegor at csc 10 hr Tell it 9
Calvary Christian start date? (Jul '13) 10 hr PARENT 15
•••
•••
•••