Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 156426 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#101564 Apr 28, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Radiolab had a great show (which ones aren't great?) on memory a few years back.
http://www.radiolab.org/2007/jun/07/
to download the podcast:
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/audio...
Fascinating stuff.
One of my favorite shows of all time! The episode on games is what hooked me. The one about checkers vs. chess.

Location hidden

#101565 Apr 28, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My wife is my best human friend,not Spiritual friend.
She does not posses the qualities to be my Best FRIEND,as she is not able to bring me a "Peace that is beyond the world's understanding,something you can not understand and,although she is quick to point out my faults,she is unable to provide me with the proper solution as to how to how I may solve them.
I posted ,very clearly,who my Best Friend is,and the basis for my considering Jesus ,as my best friend.
This "Imaginary Friend ,as you call him,is my Best Friend.
This Imaginary Friend has helped me resolve some Real life problems
that I've had to face when no one else was able to help me
But ,that is what Best Frieds are for..
This Imaginary Friend has also made me become very aware of the many faults I posses,has helped me deal with them and has given me a Peace of mind that I had never experienced before.
As he said" My Peace I leave with You,not as the world knows it"
He has been my Friend and advisor.
The only payment he requires is that I be obedient to his teachings,which have proven themselves to be excellent.
let me ask you ;
Do you have a friend that you can compare to my "Imaginary Friend"?"
On the other hand,based on what you have written,the qualities you look for,in determining who can be your good friend,is simply,someone who is willing to watch a movie with you,while drinking some bad beer.
If that is what you want out of life,So be it
I also enjoy reading a good book and taking long walks on the beach.

Location hidden

#101567 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The only time I said science could not answer a question is with an afterlife. And I. The case of miracles, since God created everything, He can alter it at any time.
But that sort of belief is a non-answer. This is why I get bored with discussions about holy ghosts and faith. It is all quite empty and meaningless in the end.

You are saying that you *believe* god created all and can change it if he wants. Your belief requires no evidence and it is based on no particular reason, other than a desire to believe it.

Once you admit this, the conversation ends. There is really nothing else we can say. Me or anyone else on here can post page after page of evidence discrediting Joseph Smith, or Jesus, or even Moses or anyone else in the Bible and in the end all you have to do is say you believe and have faith. Then we have accomplished absolutely nothing.

We are speaking entirely different languages with entirely different reasons and motivations.

Faith and reason are mutually exclusive.
TruthIs

Lexington, KY

#101568 Apr 28, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't.
Me either.
TruthIs

Lexington, KY

#101569 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I understood you so I could respond. But you lost me at the on ramp.
Actually, it is a slight digression OFF the subject somewhat, but not completely, so that's understandable.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#101570 Apr 28, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>I realize it is all highly speculative when the universe is the subject. So are you saying that your opinion lends toward a lifeless universe full of rocks? Do you have an opinion on black holes and their reason for existence?
Well, certainly not rocks, but eventual effective zero energy state. You have to remember that even non-radioactive matter will decay because the building blocks (nucleons) are not expected to be truly stable, even right now.

As for black holes, they exist simply because actions that force enough matter into small amounts of space can produce enough gravitational force to overcome subatomic degenerative pressures, further collapse into a singularity and create an event horizon. I believe that under almost any hypothesis of the fate of the universe, they will be most of what exists far into the future (if things keep going as they do).
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Faith and reason are mutually exclusive.
Indeed.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101572 Apr 28, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious.
Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......
Thank you

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#101573 Apr 28, 2013
Yes nothing as far as we know lasts forever, interesting subject black holes are. Thank you for your time. If you don't mind answering one more question. I would like to ask, do you think the big bang was a singular event?

“There is no god.”

USA

#101574 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you
Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious.
Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#101575 Apr 28, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
I would like to ask, do you think the big bang was a singular event?
What do you mean by singular? Are you asking if there were other similar occurrences before?

“There is no god.”

USA

#101576 Apr 28, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, certainly not rocks, but eventual effective zero energy state. You have to remember that even non-radioactive matter will decay because the building blocks (nucleons) are not expected to be truly stable, even right now.
As for black holes, they exist simply because actions that force enough matter into small amounts of space can produce enough gravitational force to overcome subatomic degenerative pressures, further collapse into a singularity and create an event horizon. I believe that under almost any hypothesis of the fate of the universe, they will be most of what exists far into the future (if things keep going as they do).
<quoted text>
Indeed.
Yes nothing as far as we know lasts forever, interesting subject black holes are. Thank you for your time. If you don't mind answering one more question. I would like to ask, do you think the big bang was a singular event?

“There is no god.”

USA

#101577 Apr 28, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you mean by singular? Are you asking if there were other similar occurrences before?
No, I know the theory. I am asking do You think it was the only event like it of its kind. Just speculation.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#101578 Apr 28, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That happens when you post something about which ,you have no knowledge. That is your "Bullshit meter going off.
I've been trying to tell you that.
I just have not used the crude words which you have used to describe what ails you....
A wise man speaks,when he has something to say,A fool speaks,when he has to say somerhing
I know the bible better than you do, hence my bible verse posting showing you to be a liar.
Your con job to say "you dont understand" is bullshit, I understand and post the truth which catches your lies.
If this is not so than why do you push your poison so hard?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#101579 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The only time I said science could not answer a question is with an afterlife. And I. The case of miracles, since God created everything, He can alter it at any time.
So you think a god can alter anything at anytime? So he willingly does nothing to alter AIDs or all the other diseases that cause so much suffering in our world?
BTW, you made a clear statement that casts science as being wrong and thus cannot be trusted at all. Are you now altering that statement?

Location hidden

#101580 Apr 28, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>Tell you what... I'll change my name to "God's Mormon Warrior" and perhaps you'll understand.
Nah, not really fitting for you

Location hidden

#101581 Apr 28, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well maybe they will not change on gays, but just what does that say for them?
They were wrong on black persons and I say they are wrong on gays.
They were behind society on progressive ideas. I showed how progressiveness can be good. You completely ignored the point.
For society, progressiveness can be good in some ways. It can be bad in others.
To be honest I'm not concerned with whether you think any doctrine is wrong. I only care about what God says on doctrinal matters.

Location hidden

#101582 Apr 28, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>You'll forgive me if I can't reject reality as I know it and as medical science knows it in favor of believing a tall tale about miracles.

Show me the money. Next time, take pics and video. Then we'll talk.
I understand that some must see to believe. Jesus said more blessed are those who believe and yet have not seen. But "next time" I will certainly record it.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#101583 Apr 28, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't know the answer by asking someone else. You have to find out for yourself. I'm not asking you to believe me. In just sharing my beliefs. If you are serious about knowing you would take the effort to learn these things on your own with an open mind. By open mind I mean with real intent to find truth, and you must be willing to act on those findings once the truth is revealed to you.
I have lost trust of religion due to the poor answers to the questions I ask. I get vague and diverting answers on a regular basis. Demanding I open my mind is not how you get someones mind to open to an idea.
I ask for logic, and I rarely see it in the answers I get. I usually get demands to just blindly trust the answers will magically come via some holy ghost.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#101584 Apr 28, 2013
LEGIONS wrote:
It stands to reason that you, Satanic Priest have a closed mind and refuse to listen to reason
I had an open mind for decades, decades of seeing con men collect money, seeing con men say the bible says blah blah blah to collect money, seeing the members of every church look down their nose at other people and worship social status and wealth, seeing youth ministers getting 14 year old girls pregnant and leaving town seeing preachers driving expensive cars and telling others to give their money away, seeing the same preachers leaving town in the middle of the night because the father of the 12 year old he was raping had a gun, decades of seeing what the christian cult is really about.
So you elevate yourself, defame others, spew lies, and watch as your cult loses members every day, watch as educated people flee your poisoned cult and beg to force your cult on to innocent children.
Soon your cult will be no more, we already out number you and we will protect our children from you.
You SHALL NOT come near our children

Location hidden

#101585 Apr 28, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
One of my favorite shows of all time! The episode on games is what hooked me. The one about checkers vs. chess.
Oh yeah I think I know that one. Radiolab is mesmerizing. I used to try listening to the podcasts while working on something. I had to give that up though. I could never get anything accomplished while listening to it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CSC lies to their employees (Nov '08) 2 hr Someone 40
What about Pam, in the advocate and all? 2 hr parent 4
New Finance company 3 hr Dutchess 6
snowman hunt 3 hr smh 14
Hail trump 3 hr BLUE COLLAR 12
Knox Street Liquor 4 hr PartyRob 21
Geesh (Jun '16) 4 hr Believeit 4
Knox County woman 7 hr Sad 5

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web