Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,380

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#101341 Apr 27, 2013
LEGIONS wrote:
<quoted text>
Without getting into an exposition of Scripture, the Bible is clear that the Mosaic Covenant (in which the laws you referenced are found) has been replaced by the New Covenant. While there are some similarities between the two covenants, this is not one of them. The Law of Moses was a contract between God and Israel to govern their life in the land of Canaan, both spiritually and politically (a theocratic kingdom). The New Covenant serves an entirely different purpose. The New Covenant governs our spirituality, not our politics. While the New Testament is clear that God has ordained human government to punish evil and commend the good (Romans 13:1-7) it does not speak to how that punishment ought to be carried out for particular moral crimes, or the degree of punishment. It would seem that those decisions are given to the state. It is clear, however, that under the New Covenant sins are not punished in the same way they were under the Mosaic Covenant because the New Covenant is a spiritual, not a political-social covenant.
It would be a mistake, then, to say that Christians are not obeying their own Scripture, or being arbitrary in what parts of the Bible they keep. Each passage of Scripture must be evaluated within its historical and covenantal context, and be applied appropriately. Not all commands in Scripture apply equally for all people and all times (but are specific to a covenant), whereas others do. For example, while I am not obligated to build an ark, I am obligated to abstain from murder.Christians are not ignoring those Old Testament passages, but are properly interpreting them within their context and applying them appropriately.
Though I find the entire affair absolutely ludicrous, I do agree with this logic. I oppose Christianity at every turn not because they aren't applying their own scriptures evenly but because their scriptures are abhorrent. When Christians bash gays it is not because of Leviticus, but also because of Paul (a raging bigot himself).

Yet you do find tons of modern Christians who do in fact quote the Old Testament, especially Leviticus, when it comes to moral questions. That would be the last book I'd look to for moral guidance which is why we give such idiots absolute hell when they do it.
I am waiting

Johnson City, TN

#101342 Apr 27, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
Again, the bottom line is that you do not have the right to push or force your beliefs on to other people. If you do not like the world than form your own communities and stop taking from every one elses work.
Otherwise your rights end where every one elses rights begin.
And everyones right to thought, freedom of expression, and opinion end, when you post your stupidity?

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#101343 Apr 27, 2013
I am waiting wrote:
<quoted text>
And everyones right to thought, freedom of expression, and opinion end, when you post your stupidity?
When you try to force your religion on to some one after they tell you they do not believe in your god than you are not expressing yourself troll

“There is no god”

War, WV

#101344 Apr 27, 2013
A Thought wrote:
<quoted text>You, your girlfriend Indecent Woman and Flat Chested Freda are flowers of the family, Blooming Idiots! Please quit posting because I'm tired of your crap.
Tired of my crap? Then go fu ck yourself.
The other user names that you posted are posted from Frankfort, so is your post, are you all of those users?
Here is an idea, dont read my post if you do not like them.
May Satan visit you in the night

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#101345 Apr 27, 2013
I am waiting wrote:
<quoted text>
No, jut those with delusions that their imaginary friend controls the universe and world, even if they call it a god, it's still a delusion, and delusions do not have rights.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101346 Apr 27, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
<quoted text>Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious.
Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......
Thanks
GWB

Roseville, CA

#101347 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No. We believe there is a Heavenly Mother, but the Father has so much respect for Her, that He did not want Her to be blasphemed.
Why then was Mary ,the mother of Jehovah, not giving the same respect. Is the Father partial or was Mary just another vagina to be used and thrown to the dogs.
I am waiting

Johnson City, TN

#101348 Apr 27, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>When you try to force your religion on to some one after they tell you they do not believe in your god than you are not expressing yourself troll
I don't try to force anything on you! However I gave you an offer, when you wanted to know where I lived! I am waiting, queer!
I am waiting

Johnson City, TN

#101349 Apr 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
No, jut those with delusions that their imaginary friend controls the universe and world, even if they call it a god, it's still a delusion, and delusions do not have rights.
I really don't give a damn what you think!

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#101350 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks
Lets be truthful, you're an idiot and it's obvious.
Your holyhatebible should be no where near public schools........respect a religie.......not gonna happen........ Remember......

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101351 Apr 27, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>You have plenty of reasons to not believe that it happened. You choose to ignore them. The magician analogy that someone else used is very apt. I can't believe because there is no proof. The only "proof" supplied involves trusting the unsubstantiated claims of another person (or the hearsay of hearsay, in this case), and that does not make the cut.

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
Why does this mean I have no faith?"

It means you have no faith because proof is the antithesis of faith. If faith is "firm belief in something for which there is no proof" and you claim to have proof... not that hard to figure out. You don't have faith. You think you have proof. Proof utterly destroys faith. You literally cannot have them both.
For some, faith was so strong that God manifest Himself to them. Then there is no need for faith, that is correct for that person. So you are saying that a miracle means I no longer need faith? Cool. So I know that there is a God.
Thanks.

The blood on the carpet and clothes, the scar, and the boy telling us what happened, along with the eyewitness of both parents is plenty of evidence for me to believe what happened. Especially since I saw the before and after of the carpet and ear.
I am waiting

Johnson City, TN

#101352 Apr 27, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Though I find the entire affair absolutely ludicrous, I do agree with this logic. I oppose Christianity at every turn not because they aren't applying their own scriptures evenly but because their scriptures are abhorrent. When Christians bash gays it is not because of Leviticus, but also because of Paul (a raging bigot himself).
Yet you do find tons of modern Christians who do in fact quote the Old Testament, especially Leviticus, when it comes to moral questions. That would be the last book I'd look to for moral guidance which is why we give such idiots absolute hell when they do it.
Even though I have givin S/P hell over being gay, I don't hate gay people, and I do think most churches are doing wrong by turning people away because they are gay, or trying to 'fix them'! If some people are born as twins, joined at the head or waist, why is it so hard to belive someone can be born in one sex with the oppisite gender? I think most churches are walking on dangerous ground, in their doctrine of stupidity! Now I will piss both sides off, but I do not care.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#101353 Apr 27, 2013
I am waiting wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't try to force anything on you! However I gave you an offer, when you wanted to know where I lived! I am waiting, queer!
LOL the fake address that is not found on Google maps? Nice try.
You are a worthless troll seeking attention. You hope to get some one riled up.
I will pray to the good Lord Satan to visit you at night

“There is no god”

War, WV

#101354 Apr 27, 2013
I am waiting wrote:
<quoted text>
Even though I have givin S/P hell over being gay, I don't hate gay people, and I do think most churches are doing wrong by turning people away because they are gay, or trying to 'fix them'! If some people are born as twins, joined at the head or waist, why is it so hard to belive someone can be born in one sex with the oppisite gender? I think most churches are walking on dangerous ground, in their doctrine of stupidity! Now I will piss both sides off, but I do not care.
So you swing both ways? Hey, that is your business and all.
Giving me Hell? No troll, you are not giving me Hell. How is it that you really think anything that you say matters to any one?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#101355 Apr 27, 2013
The christian cult believes that jesus was a snob who went around judging every one, of course they do not actually read their bibles, they blindly follow the con artist preaching to them.
See, the con artist learned that when people feel bad they do not feel as giving as when they feel good. So telling people that they are sinners and that they are no better than any one else went out the door and telling them how they are so much better than every one else came in
I am waiting

Johnson City, TN

#101356 Apr 27, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>LOL the fake address that is not found on Google maps? Nice try.
You are a worthless troll seeking attention. You hope to get some one riled up.
I will pray to the good Lord Satan to visit you at night
Lol, The address is real and you can find it on 'Google earth'! So for all; 8690 107 Cutoff, Greeneville Tn! The Gaytanic Priest is a liar and a coward! Anyone who wants too prove me wrong, Google it! I ask anyone who thinks Gaytanic is telling the truth! There you go coward, now what will you do? And I am waiting on a sissy!
I am waiting

Johnson City, TN

#101357 Apr 27, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>So you swing both ways? Hey, that is your business and all.
Giving me Hell? No troll, you are not giving me Hell. How is it that you really think anything that you say matters to any one?
It must matter to you, you are responding! HAHAHAHA.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#101358 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be a problem with translation, or even His point could be that He is our only God.
Reads like he is the only God. Says that in multiple places in the O.T. I can see another reason for Judaism to reject LDS teachings.

Isaiah 43:10-11
Before me no god was formed,
nor will there be one after me.

This verse is up for interpretation by many. After all, the Bible was written by humans. I see how this can fuel many different beliefs about who God is and why many are confused about God books.

I see the writer making the use of the word "formed". Like making a god from some substance. Notice also that the word "god"is lower case(possibly indicating lower ranking gods).

Since the word "formed" was use then it would be impossible for Jesus to be formed if the verse was taken literally. Jesus would never have existed.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#101359 Apr 27, 2013
Regarding "miracles"...

When someone is saved from certain death by a strange succession of circumstances, they say that's a "miracle."

But of course if someone is KILLED by a freak chain of events..being in the wrong place at the wrong time.. that must also be a "miracle."

Look at all those people who decided "what a nice day to go to the beach"...and ended up being killed by a tsunami.
All of those who were on the planes that were hijacked and flown into the Twin Towers.
"Miracles??" Yep.

"Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous." --Terry Pratchett

“There is no god”

War, WV

#101360 Apr 27, 2013
I am waiting wrote:
<quoted text>
Lol, The address is real and you can find it on 'Google earth'! So for all; 8690 107 Cutoff, Greeneville Tn! The Gaytanic Priest is a liar and a coward! Anyone who wants too prove me wrong, Google it! I ask anyone who thinks Gaytanic is telling the truth! There you go coward, now what will you do? And I am waiting on a sissy!
Your IP address says Jonesborough, TN not greenville. How about when I come through TN in a couple of months we meet at a local business?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge hall and tamra sanborn utube videos 6 min More of the same 3
Who will you vote for as Judge Executive ? 26 min Voter 4
Questions for JM Hall in Next debate. 26 min Good read 3
Darren k west coincides defeat. With Bahamas ... 28 min What 10
backwards 4 hr Hoke Colburn 3
mary for jailer 7 hr plunk 25
jail and the removal of threads 11 hr Good One 6
our little oligarchy town of barbourville 11 hr Good read 9
mafia taking care of their own 16 hr Pockets lined 14
Family Court Judge Sat MADD 44