Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148462 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

harpocrates

Middlesboro, KY

#101253 Apr 27, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
I see how you can interpret it that way. I was right then a contradiction does show other Gods exist despite what the O.T. claimed earlier "Isaiah 44:6-8". Is that one of the reasons the book of Mormon was written to clear up contradictions?
a shout in the dark

Revelation 12:12
Therefore rejoice, ye heavens, and ye that dwell in them. Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath, because he knoweth that he hath but a short time.

The thrill of the kill
You feel is a sin
I lay with the wolves
Alone, it seems,
I thought I was part of you

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#101254 Apr 27, 2013
LOL in a suit wrote:
Dear Dr. Laura,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend homosexuality, for example, I will simply remind him or her that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.
I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other laws in Leviticus and Exodus and how to best follow them. To wit:
When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Leviticus 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?
I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as stated in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?
I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Leviticus 15:19-24). The problem is, how can I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.
Leviticus 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Canadians, but not Mexicans. Can you clarify?
I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?
A friend of mine says that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Leviticus 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?
Leviticus 20:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?
I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.
Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.
Sincerely,
A devoted listener
Simply ask your holy ghost. He clears all this stuff up, yet for some reason he gives different answers to different people.
Now just because this has no logic, does not mean it is not true. You must just have faith it is true because I said so. Now eat your peas.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#101255 Apr 27, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>.)
3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)
3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)
Your lack of understanding of Scriptures is evidenced in what you have posted

SP wrote
1)“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.”(Matthew 5:18-19 RSV) Clearly the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence itself. None other then Jesus said so.

Jesus never said that the Old Testament is to be abided by until the end of human existence

What he did say,is 1)“For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until ALL IS ACCOMPLISHED
To find out what accomplished signifies,read the Gospel of Luke,near the end you will find the answer.
It is clear that,you do not understand why Jesus had to come,what he needed to accomplish and how the LAW or Old Testament are related to his mission.
The letter to the Romans provides more than ample information on that subject,So do, Galatians and Ephesians.
Go and read them,and put into practice what you have posted "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction"

SP Wrote
2) All of the Old Testament laws will be binding forever. "It is easier for Heaven and Earth to pass away than for the smallest part of the letter of the law to become invalid." (Luke 16:17 NAB)

You state that"All of the Old Testament laws will be binding forever" by quoting Luke16;17

If you had understood the previous verse ,
Luke16;16,16 THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS WERE PREACHED UNTIL JOHN. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached, and everyone is forcing their way into it
You would have realized how wrong your conclusion is.

SP WROTE
)3) Jesus strongly approves of the law and the prophets.. "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the prophets. I have come not to abolish but to fulfill. Amen, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest part or the smallest part of a letter will pass from the law, until all things have taken place." (Matthew 5:17 NAB)

What you quoted in MATT5;17 is correct, but, then, you commit the error of interpreting Scripture ,in exactly the opposite manner,as what you posted. You gave it a personal interpretation

3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter OF PERSONAL INTERPRETATION, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF GOD.

Meaning ,THAT ONLY THOSE UNDER THE influence OF God can interpret it correctly
Since your interpretation was not influenced by God and is clearly erroneous,is further evidence of the accuracy of Scriptures

3b) "All scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for refutation, for correction, and for training in righteousness..." (2 Timothy 3:16 NAB)
3c) "Know this first of all, that there is no prophecy of scripture that is a matter of personal interpretation, for no prophecy ever came through human will; but rather human beings moved by the holy Spirit spoke under the influence of God." (2 Peter 20-21 NAB)

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101256 Apr 27, 2013
A shame wrote:
@ Do whut: What a shame for a Mormon man to come on here and allow his faith to be mocked and smeared by these goats. Stop casting your pearls before swine. Get some pride in your faith. Jesus said to dust your feet off, not argue with these demons.
Yes, just do what the glorious leader says. Stay isolated in your thoughts and do not allow outside, differing views into your life.= Brainwashing.
Now we know this is what god really wants, how? Tell me how you can know Mohammed is not the true prophet?
I know Muslims also are instructed to avoid outside opposing views. Just seems to me this is a recipe for someone to trick a person into doing bad things under the guise of doing good.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101257 Apr 27, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>No one is denying you saw what you saw. But, does that mean his ear "magically" reattached to his head as they claim?

Successful illusionists provide plenty of physical evidence for their tricks, but we still know it's sleight of hand. Seeing should not be believing.
If this was in front of an audience, you may have a valid point. But in the case of a man and his child getting hurt, we are not talking about magic shows.
I can't find any other explanation of how this all took place in a very short amount of time. The scar was healed up completely with no scans left, but there was still blood stains behind his ear.

Location hidden

#101258 Apr 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Going commando in the temple did cause me to be aroused. How embarrassing. I had to use the baseball technique.
When you are a teen and the hormones are raging, a breeze in that area can cause arousal.
And being dunked in the pool causes a wet T-shirt effect.
TMI

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101259 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point. To be honest, my posts are more for the readers instead of the attackers. But good point.
So did the holy ghost tell you to ignore Jesus' command? You agreed with the point yet continue anyway?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101260 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
One could behold the face of God if they were transfigured.
I was speaking of Joseph Smith. When he asked in prayer which church he should join, after months of struggling to figure it out, he was answered by a visit from the Father and the Son.
You can find this account here:
http://www.lds.org/scriptures/pgp/js-h/1.1-26...
So you believe this claim without question? Are you sure the claim is not as wrong as that of Brigham Young's claims? I guess the holy ghost cleared it all up for you?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101261 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus is not the Father
So can you clarify without being vague? Just what does "the father" mean here?

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#101262 Apr 27, 2013
harpocrates wrote:
<quoted text>you used the word miracle.
And I used the term "brain bucket," but that doesn't warrant a treatise on the history of coopers.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101263 Apr 27, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
All religions do. The JWs don't allow premarital sex at all, masturbation is a no no and oral will get you in trouble.
There's a Mormon on TV for murder, if one will do that then I'm sure another one will show her temple garments. I goofed around with a girl one time that had a sweet German accent and soon after we met she told me she was Amish and her conscience wouldn't allow her to see me anymore. Usually the stricter the parents, the more reason for them to rebel the first chance they get. That's my experience on it anyway.
Sex is a powerful thing. Kind of makes you wonder about free will when some of us have a sex drive of a bull elephant and everything we want to do is a sin. Doesn't seem fair to burden people with a sex drive if you punish them for using it.
Have you seen that show "preachers daughter"? It is awesome and really shows what you are talking about here.

Location hidden

#101264 Apr 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So Jesus is god but separate? You mean in a separate form? Do you think this Jesus-form knew all the god-form knew? If so, then why might he have prayed and asked the lord why he had forsaken him? Or is this all due to a prophet telling the story wrong?
When you say "we" do you mean all Mormons are on the same page? If so, is this due to the holy ghost clarifying this claim to them? If so, then why do most other Christians not get the same clarification from the holy ghost?
We are subject to Jesus Christ. Jesus was Jehovah (YHWH) in the OT. So He is God to us. He is the mediator between us and the Father. Everything that was created was through Jesus Christ. He carried out the Father's plan.

Jesus does not know everything that the Father knows. We are told that not even Jesus knows the day when He will return. Only the Father knows.

Jesus had finished His mission. He had fulfilled every prophesy foretold of Him. I believe that the scene on the cross made the Father weep. And for that moment, Jesus did not feel the presence of the Father.

Most Mormons do believe like I believe. And yes, it is because of the Holy Ghost. If we hadn't felt that confirmation, we would have left the church. And from my experience, you can't be a fence-sitter with this church. Once someone has learned a great deal about the doctrine of this church and felt the Holy Ghost attest to its truthfulness, they either embrace it, or they slowly become more and more disenchanted to the point where they attack their old beliefs and the church. Either way, they can't seem to leave it alone. It is always an active part of their life.

As I said before. The HG confirms truth. There is truth in most all churches. Like for example, most all Christian churches believe they must be baptized. But by sprinkling or immersion? With authority or without? The truth of baptism is felt, but the ordinance can be performed incorrectly and have no meaning.

Location hidden

#101266 Apr 27, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>I see how you can interpret it that way. I was right then a contradiction does show other Gods exist despite what the O.T. claimed earlier "Isaiah 44:6-8". Is that one of the reasons the book of Mormon was written to clear up contradictions?
Could be a problem with translation, or even His point could be that He is our only God.
The Book of Mormon does help us understand the Gospel better. Think of it this way:
The Bible is a point of information. If we were to draw a line through this point, there are infinite paths and directions that we could draw this line. But with a second witness, there are two points. Only one path can be drawn to touch both points.

Location hidden

#101267 Apr 27, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>If what you think will happen in one hundred years happens, then it stands to reason religion will be abnormal in one hundred years.
I do not see religion going down quite that fast.
As long as religion demands one be married to have sex, followers will be rushing to get married.
Of course this rush to marry in order to have sex leads to a high rate of divorce,a high rate of poorly matched couples, children in broken homes, unwanted children, and children being raised by people to young to raise a child well.
I was talking about society, not religions. I think they will hold fast to their beliefs of marriage.

And I disagree about the increasing divorce rate. Look at the divorce rate of the LDS church.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#101268 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I actually saw the blood and the scar less than two days after I visited his house. That isn't hearsay
No, it is. Your description of both of them requires information that is hearsay. You don't know how either of them got there or when they appeared. You believe what another person says on both accounts. Hearsay. This isn't a difficult concept.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101269 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
To us, He is our God and mediator with the Father.
Psalms 82:6
I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
John 10:34
Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
Notice Jesus said that He said what was in their law. Jesus is the God of the Old Testament.
And Jesus made it very clear that He was subject to the Father. He prayed to the Father. He told us that He could do nothing that He didn't see the Father do. But to us, He is everything.
This clears up nothing.
First, you cite John(fallible prophet)that claims Jesus claimed "it is not written in your law". So where do you get that it was a law that he made in Old testament times?

So Psalms (not sure what fallible person wrote this) claims Jesus claims,"Ye are all gods". So who is the "ye" here?

This all just makes the word "god" not sound so important.

As you must know, many believers interpret these verses in many ways(evidently the holy ghost lacks consistency) so you must see we also might be confused on just what it means and why?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101270 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be a problem with translation, or even His point could be that He is our only God.
The Book of Mormon does help us understand the Gospel better. Think of it this way:
The Bible is a point of information. If we were to draw a line through this point, there are infinite paths and directions that we could draw this line. But with a second witness, there are two points. Only one path can be drawn to touch both points.
Yet these two paths joined together lead to over one hundred years of discrimination of black persons.

Do you not look to the Koran and join paths with it? If not, why?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101271 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I was talking about society, not religions. I think they will hold fast to their beliefs of marriage.
And I disagree about the increasing divorce rate. Look at the divorce rate of the LDS church.
Society is composed of people in religions. If you wish to separate the two, then use the words properly to do so.
The divorce rates of the LDS church do not tell me if children are being born in a planed manner. They do not tell me if the family is in a healthy state.
Many who believe it is so immoral to divorce, often stay in very unhealthy relationships, and often abusive relationships to the point marriage is doing more harm than good.
Many who wait till marriage to have sex often marry just to have sex. This should not be a reason to marry, and logically this urge could often lead on into marrying the wrong person.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101272 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Most of American society is of some religion.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#101273 Apr 27, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We are subject to Jesus Christ. Jesus was Jehovah (YHWH) in the OT. So He is God to us. He is the mediator between us and the Father. Everything that was created was through Jesus Christ. He carried out the Father's plan.
Jesus does not know everything that the Father knows. We are told that not even Jesus knows the day when He will return. Only the Father knows.
Jesus had finished His mission. He had fulfilled every prophesy foretold of Him. I believe that the scene on the cross made the Father weep. And for that moment, Jesus did not feel the presence of the Father.
Most Mormons do believe like I believe. And yes, it is because of the Holy Ghost. If we hadn't felt that confirmation, we would have left the church. And from my experience, you can't be a fence-sitter with this church. Once someone has learned a great deal about the doctrine of this church and felt the Holy Ghost attest to its truthfulness, they either embrace it, or they slowly become more and more disenchanted to the point where they attack their old beliefs and the church. Either way, they can't seem to leave it alone. It is always an active part of their life.
As I said before. The HG confirms truth. There is truth in most all churches. Like for example, most all Christian churches believe they must be baptized. But by sprinkling or immersion? With authority or without? The truth of baptism is felt, but the ordinance can be performed incorrectly and have no meaning.
So by your reasoning, the holy ghost is not answering most Christians questions, only the Mormons questions?

I was active in the church for about five years. So if I am confused as to just what Mormons believe, then I think maybe they should start answering questions more clearly. You sure don't answer clearly, if you chose to answer at all.

Now if Jesus was here to die for our sins, why would the father be sad when this took place?

I don't think you have explained why Jesus is not the son of god. I was under the impression Mary was impregnated by god, so does this not mean he is the fathers son?
Or did god impregnate Mary with himself?

Your answer has only confused my more so.

Either you cannot give a clear answer, or maybe their is not clear answer possible. This leads me to believe the concept is not logical or plausible.

BTW all religions claim as you did about me. So are all these religions correct or do they all just know the same propaganda technique?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
bonita 7 min omg Bonita 30
Who did Brian bunch murder ? 44 min Who 7
double shooting in knox co. 50 min Who 26
How Are The Chili Buns At D&D Grocery? (Stinkin... 2 hr jim thompson 5
Life without Tim 2 hr knox parent 2
Jailtracker 2 hr Knox 5
Amy Peters (Apr '15) 3 hr Really 3
Motorcycle Accident 4 hr swampfoot 9
Prayers Needed 21 hr LOL 8
More from around the web