Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
96,501 - 96,520 of 128,587 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Alright then, please provide any objective and substantive evidence that supports ANY PART of the Book of Genesis - because the warehouses full of data that debunks it have been exhaustively reviewed in the 96,000+ posts on this thread, just as it has been on a hundred others.
But don't mind me, I just can't help pointing it out - or as you put it, "spewing that vile hypocrisy."
I think geography and the study of places of former civilizations is cool.

There's a reason there's seashells "patterned" in amongst the pyramids of Giza.
---
Many of Egypt's most famous monuments, such as the Sphinx and Cheops pyramid at Giza, contain hundreds of thousands of marine fossils, according to a new study.

Most of the fossils are intact and preserved in the monument walls, giving clues to how the monuments were built.

The authors suggest the stones that make up the Giza plateau, Fayum and Abydos monuments must have been carved out of natural stone as they reveal what chunks of the sea floor must have looked like over 4000 years ago, when the buildings were erected.

"The observed random emplacement and strictly homogenous distribution of the fossil shells within the whole rock is in harmony with their initial in situ setting in a fluidal sea bottom environment," write Professor Ioannis Liritzis and his colleagues from the University of the Aegean and the University of Athens.

Viegas, J. "Pyramids packed with fossil shells." ABC Discovery News. Science. Web. 4/28/2008. Last accessed 5/26/2013

Note: could be classified as "archaeology, earth-sciences, geology, palaeontology, ancient-religions" as well!!

---------

Oh wait...whatshisnameDukeydonkey dung...will have an issue with that LOL.

Same type of thing though lol.
TruthIs

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I do not dismiss all science. But I do not abandon my beliefs because of a theory either.
No, I don't have evidence of Adam and Eve, nor did I claim to. I told you I believe because of my faith. This doesn't mean I don't like, or trust all scientific claims. I enjoy many aspects of science, physics in particular.
Ahhh Physics...one of the elementary building block areas of Science, where even the most professedly studied, just sometimes have to say, in admittance of TRUTH, that "We do NOT know"!!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

_Ummm_ wrote:
That wasn't directed at you, obviously, as I already told you that I'm not interested in hearsay about the very convincing hallucinations some person had. Believe away. There is no evidence.

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
Hahaha. You are the rudeness police now?? Oh the irony"

No, I am the hypocrisy police. What's ironic is that you like to play "intelligent Christian" yet that escaped you.

Skeptical Spectacles wrote, "<quoted text>
Wha? Please tell me that you intended that as a joke."

I was going to respond, but this pretty much covers it.

Oh, and birds are dinosaurs. There is no debate.
Unless a miracle happens that the entire world witnesses all at the same time, you will always discount a miracle. I can't help you there. There is no witness sampling size large enough (short of 100%) that will make you change this attitude. However it doesn't make it untrue just because your eyes didn't see it.

And yes, there has been plenty of debate on birds and dinosaurs since before you were born. As a youth, I was taught that dinosaurs were all cold blooded reptiles.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

John F Dillenger wrote:
<quoted text>8690 107 cutoff, Greeneville TN! ANY GODDAMN TIME! However you won't be driving home Gaytanic Priest!
Haha. The gauntlet has been thrown

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Others have already addressed this. Nice to see this thread is getting a lot of action.

Science is certainly not useless in this question. It has just as much use as in any other question. We evaluate questions based on evidence and reason. If there is a lot of evidence for a certain idea and none for a different idea, and if reason leads to think the former idea seems more plausible then it is not only realistic to lend trust to that idea, it is IRRATIONAL and unrealistic not to.

In other words, if science indicates that we probably simply die and do not go on then it makes sense to accept that as a conditionally true fact.

There is always room for a little doubt. But what you are suggesting is that you not only doubt it, you actively believe in an entirely different idea. An idea that is rich in detail, full of dovetailing ideas, and true for everyone. It makes no sense to believe that way, except that it probably makes you feel better to do so. I understand that desire.

It would make me feel better to think that in ten years I'll be a rich man with the powers of a superhero and dozens of hot wives. But guess what? I would be insane to actually believe it. And you would agree with me on that, right?
Haha. That was kinda funny.
Seriously, I do see your position. I hope you see mine.
I have openly said that what I believe will not be proven. It is faith. But science can't prove me wrong, any more than I can prove it right. We don't know, and we won't know until we die, and then we can't come back to make a report of what happens. And even if that happened, it wouldn't be enough to convince an unbeliever.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
I think geography and the study of places of former civilizations is cool.
There's a reason there's seashells "patterned" in amongst the pyramids of Giza.
---
Many of Egypt's most famous monuments, such as the Sphinx and Cheops pyramid at Giza, contain hundreds of thousands of marine fossils, according to a new study.
Most of the fossils are intact and preserved in the monument walls, giving clues to how the monuments were built.
The authors suggest the stones that make up the Giza plateau, Fayum and Abydos monuments must have been carved out of natural stone as they reveal what chunks of the sea floor must have looked like over 4000 years ago, when the buildings were erected.
"The observed random emplacement and strictly homogenous distribution of the fossil shells within the whole rock is in harmony with their initial in situ setting in a fluidal sea bottom environment," write Professor Ioannis Liritzis and his colleagues from the University of the Aegean and the University of Athens.
Viegas, J. "Pyramids packed with fossil shells." ABC Discovery News. Science. Web. 4/28/2008. Last accessed 5/26/2013
Note: could be classified as "archaeology, earth-sciences, geology, palaeontology, ancient-religions" as well!!
---------
Oh wait...whatshisnameDukeydonkey dung...will have an issue with that LOL.
Same type of thing though lol.
And there are seashell fossils embedded in Mount Everest, as well.
The pyramids are made almost entirely of limestone, except for certain places where granite was used for security purposes. Are you seriously contemplating the idea that these limestones were formed within mankind's tenure by a Noahic flood - and then have the audacity to ridicule other posters' intelligence and accuse them of hypocrisy?!

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Ahhh Physics...one of the elementary building block areas of Science, where even the most professedly studied, just sometimes have to say, in admittance of TRUTH, that "We do NOT know"!!
Quite a refreshing taste of honesty, compared to Bible quoters.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know the difference?
Read the doctrine and covenants. These are declared as revelations.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Unless a miracle happens that the entire world witnesses all at the same time, you will always discount a miracle. I can't help you there. There is no witness sampling size large enough (short of 100%) that will make you change this attitude. However it doesn't make it untrue just because your eyes didn't see it.
And yes, there has been plenty of debate on birds and dinosaurs since before you were born. As a youth, I was taught that dinosaurs were all cold blooded reptiles.
Don't put your stupid strawman words in my mouth, idiot. I, and any other scientific mind, will believe a miracle occurred when there is evidence for one. The same as any other observed process in this universe. There is not, and never has been, evidence for a miracle. I can't tell if you're intentionally being an intelligence insulting douchebag, or you say these things because you really think I'm that stupid and actually have those beliefs. I will respect that you have at least some level of intelligence and go with the former.

And I don't care what you were taught or what people might have hypothesized decades ago... birds ARE theropod dinosaurs. There is NO valid debate on that, as there is too much supporting evidence. There is debate concerning other specifics of how they may have evolved (as is typical), but the only thing detractors of this current and almost universally held belief have to argue over is a weak phalangeal differentiation.

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We have the Bible. To Christians, that not only is evidence, but Gospel. But, though I disagree with a homosexual lifestyle, I do not intend to deny them rights either. You are stereotyping me with others. I don't mind if hey have all the same rights as married individuals. I would just prefer they not use the word marriage.
Every one has a bible, most have many different verses and books. Your bible says something that the JW bible does not yet the JW says things the KJV does not and so on and so on.
So every sect made their own bible, nothing godly about that
Hey, I bet I can write a bible that says my beliefs are godly

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha. The gauntlet has been thrown
No, because there is no such address, I checked because I am going through Tenn. in a couple of months.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Excellent point.

The Bible rarely mentions homosexuality at all, and often in unclear terms. According to the way people used to interpret the Bible, you could easily interpret those passages in different ways. Christians do this ALL THE TIME. It is how they dodge the tricky parts of the Bible such as the story of Abraham going to sacrifice Isaac. They interpret it in a way that makes it sound good.

Yet they fixate on their negative interpretation of the gay bits. They fixate on it in a big way. Why? Why this one little thing? Is it because this is a small minority and an easy target?
Duet. 23:17
There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel.

Romans 1:26-27
For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1 Tim 1:10
For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

Jude 1:7
Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

I think it is pretty clear. I can dig up more if you and Mike still don't think the Bible is against homosexuality.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>That might not have been the best way to illustrate delusional thinking to a guy who's religion/sect has a history of polygamy, wealth attainment, and magic underwear.
Really?
Ok the first decades of the church were surrounded by debt, so we now teach self reliance and no debt. That's sound advice regardless of religion.
And magic underwear? I hope you were joking.

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Haha. That was kinda funny.
Seriously, I do see your position. I hope you see mine.
I have openly said that what I believe will not be proven. It is faith. But science can't prove me wrong, any more than I can prove it right. We don't know, and we won't know until we die, and then we can't come back to make a report of what happens. And even if that happened, it wouldn't be enough to convince an unbeliever.
Science proved your religion wrong time after time, Starting with the world being round, no godly heaven found above the earth, cultures and societies around the world that did not get flooded out, no army found in the red sea, etc....
Your whole bible and religion has been proven false.
TheIndependentMa jority

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
And there are seashell fossils embedded in Mount Everest, as well.
The pyramids are made almost entirely of limestone, except for certain places where granite was used for security purposes. Are you seriously contemplating the idea that these limestones were formed within mankind's tenure by a Noahic flood - and then have the audacity to ridicule other posters' intelligence and accuse them of hypocrisy?!
No, I was actually thinking about the Hindu Kush and their proximaty in regards to tectonic studies.

Try and keep up.

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

And those societies and cultures where around for ten thousand years before your mythical flood.
China has written history from before your flood and they did not get wiped out.
Egypt, an advanced culture has written history from before your flood, they did not get wiped out.
Your bible is a story written to promote a race of people above all others and to justify their hate, blood lust, perversion, theft, and evil
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I addressed this already. People read the paper in the morning, so the time of day is not really shocking. Also, this all takes place in a few weeks, right? From the time the dog was found by the other person to the time the lady saw the ad is only a few weeks, correct? So right off the bat there is roughly a 1/14 chance she would call on that day. Actually, even better odds than that.
You are looking for reasons to justify an irrational belief.
Yes,you did address that already and there is a high probability that this was a coincidence,,In my posting,I agreed that all the events that took place could have been a coincidence .
let us look at the total picture.
What are the odds,that someone who is aware that a dog was found,
and that the person who found it,gave it away.

In effect,one can assume that she has no reason to try and seek it's owner. She didnot find the dog,she does not have the dog in her possession and no one has asked her to attempt to fing it's owner
2 weeks after tthe dog was given away,she is reading the paper and does something that she had never had reason to do before,for some reason she could not explain,she turns to the lost pet section.
She reads through some 15 ads,mine included, that were listed and finds that none of the descriptions fits her recollection of what the dog she'd seen once,looked like.
For some reason or other, of the 15 or so ads listed,she selects my ad and responds to it.
Now ,that series of consecutive events,or coincidences,do not conform to the way one would normally react under those circumstances.
Since she had no responsibility in trying to locate the owner of the dog,what caused her to do so.
What are the odds that the average person would have reacted in the same way?
If you had been in her place and concluded that the ads did not match the description of the dog ,as you remembered it,why would you waste your time ,making a call that you believed would not bear any results and why would you select my ad over the other ads that were in the paper
What are the odds that a normal human being would react the way she did.

If you believe that you would have reacted the same way,can you
explain the reasons why you would do so.
I have asked for a logically based explanation as to why these coincidences took place.
The responses that I have received are based on opinions,as to how they may have taken place. Logically means,according to logical reasoning,,,,Does not mean according to your personal belief as to how these events may have taken place
So,the responses do lead to the possibility of their being
another explanation.
The question is,what or who caused this lady to behave in the way she did?
The responses that have been posted,have ignored that other possibility,because they don't believe God exists,so that possibility is automatically dismissed.
In spite of my doubts about the existene of God at that time,I was unable to rule out that possibility,Since my prayer was addressed to God,in whom I did not believe existed but hoped,that if he did exist,he would answer my prayer.
The fact that,I was able to finally find my dog,did not convince me of God's exitence,but it did raise some doubts about my beliefs.
If God was real,he needed to provide me with more evidence,which he has contilously done over the years.

In your opinion,"I am looking for reasons to justify an irrational belief."
That is YOUR opinion,which is not based on facts,but based on your belief that there is no God
I believe in God and Jesus Christ based on the evidence he has provided me and by testing his teachings.
I tested them,lived them and I experienced them.
You have not,so I don't see what qualifies you, to pass judgement on something you know nothing about

Does what I have experienced prove to anyone the existence of God,,,,,,,No.
Does it prove to ME,the existence of God..YES
Truthis

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

I hear this _Ummm_ guy is a real queer. They say he has both men and women parts. Anyone know if that's true? He hacked a bunch of people on another thread. He will expose you if you threaten him I was told. Don't throw your address around on here, seriously.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Are you familiar with Occam's razor?
Yes. This isn't a good example of that though. In each case they were trying to right what they felt was a wrong from other sects. So they tried to go by their interpretation of the scriptures to start again.
Truthis

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 26, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Science proved your religion wrong time after time, Starting with the world being round, no godly heaven found above the earth, cultures and societies around the world that did not get flooded out, no army found in the red sea, etc....
Your whole bible and religion has been proven false.
You really think man can find Heaven? How stupid are you? Science cannot prove or disprove things Spiritual. Remember the Tower of Babel.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

25 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 13 min sad 81,569
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 19 min shew 1,014
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 30 min Jay 146,184
Stivers Center fixes 1 hr City Slicker 26
Maggie Mills is on meth really bad she has sore... 2 hr Georgie 10
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr Hero 26,183
Maryann Smith and Thomas (Oct '12) 2 hr Resisedent 45
•••
•••