Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,150

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101062 Apr 26, 2013
Libertarian wrote:
I was bought up by christians.
Reading the bible made me an atheist. I find most christians listen to the soundbites of the bible. When they actually read it cover to cover many are shocked.
I don't know how you arrived at your conclusion of"many are shocked"
When Iread the Bible cover to cover,I was inspired,tested many of it's teachings and was overcome with awe by the truths it contained
Let me give you an example;
When I read ;Romans 1:28-32

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done.
29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know Godís righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them
When I read these verses,it was like looking in the mirror and I did not like what I saw.
What I read there,described the way I was,almost perfectly.
and I asked myself,Do you want to continue living your life this way,,The answer was no.

I was so impressed by what I read and the accurate description it gave of me,that I kept going back again and again to those verses.
I could not understand why these verses were having such a strong impact on me,a feeling that I could not describe,
I kept reading and eventually came to the Book of Hebrews,there I found the reason for the strong impact these verses were having on me,Now I could understand why I felt the way I did
Hebrews 4:12 ►

For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#101063 Apr 26, 2013
TheIndependentMajority wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I was actually thinking about the Hindu Kush and their proximaty in regards to tectonic studies.
Try and keep up.
Ah, TheIndependentMajority. I recall that we've had dissent before.
I accept by your sarcasm that we have reached the practical limits of your argument. Again.

(However, on aside to curious:
Please note who uses multiple nicks - it is NOT the registered users.)

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#101064 Apr 26, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know how you arrived at your conclusion of"many are shocked"
Now as they were making their hearts merry , behold, the men of the city, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round about , and beat at the door, and spake to the master of the house, the old man, saying , Bring forth the man that came into thine house, that we may know him.
And the man, the master of the house, went out unto them, and said unto them, Nay, my brethren, nay, I pray you, do not so wickedly ; seeing that this man is come into mine house, do not this folly.
Behold, here is my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing.
But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring , they let her go .
Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord was, till it was light.
And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down at the door of the house, and her hands were upon the threshold.
And he said unto her, Up , and let us be going . But none answered . Then the man took her up upon an ass, and the man rose up , and gat him unto his place.
And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, together with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.

Yeah, no idea why people would be shocked.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101065 Apr 26, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
Your computer/phone/tablet is broken.

I was referring to the logical fallacy you made wherein I require 100% of the population of the Earth to witness something firsthand before I accept it as true.
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
As far as the dinosaur response. I'm not refuting that dinosaurs and birds are not of common ancestry. I'm reminding everyone that 20 years ago, not everyone agreed. The majority of scientists overwhelmingly agreed that they were all cold-blooded and shared ancestry with reptiles and not birds. My point is, scientists can draw the wrong conclusion with what evidence they have, and then completely change their stance when more or different evidence comes forth. "

I fail to see ANY negatives in your 'point'. Are you trying to tell me that it's better to form some belief hundreds/thousands of years ago based on weak evidence and then never change it, no matter what evidence we uncover? I know you'll say that you aren't, but how would anyone get that by looking at the things you say here?
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
I was hoping to hear the results of this one. Haha"

http://i.imgur.com/fzuOrJr.jpg
That's the nearest house to that location. But since it's a rural road, it could be a mile away from there. Still, would be very easy to find if one were on the road.
Since only your posts show up that way, and everyone else's looks normal, evidence would suggest it is not my equipment.

How many eyewitnesses of a miracle are necessary for you to believe then?

No, I am just saying that science's stance can change based off of new discoveries. While I don't believe we will find a cave with "Adam and Eve wuz here" written on it, I just don't think atheists should use science to refute all points of why people are religious. They may not have all the evidence in yet.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#101066 Apr 26, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>

How many eyewitnesses of a miracle are necessary for you to believe then?

None... I don't care if 4 Billion people witness something and claim it to be some miraculous thing... I still would not Believe... I would require Evidence that could be studied, verified, validated, tested and reproduced .... The Human Species See's a tiny portion of the light spectrum, hears a tiny sliver of the audio spectrum and sense a tiny tidbit of the em spectrum all together... And then the species has the ability to rationalize the observed in irrational, illogical and many times completely Wrong ways...

Location hidden

#101067 Apr 26, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>

How many eyewitnesses of a miracle are necessary for you to believe
Q-man summed it up well. But, you might want to google "why eye witness testimony is unreliable". I've said it before, any attorney will tell you that it's a lousy type of "evidence".
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101068 Apr 26, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
And you're still being insulting.
<quoted text>
This is highly insulting. You don't get it. You won't get it. You are not open to the possibility of being wrong, nor of others being right and not sharing your lack of ability to reason.
You are taking things out of context,which I really did not expect from you;
You obviously,wether by accident or design,chose to post what was convenient for you
"quoted text>curious wrote
Your mind deceived you into not believing in God,because that is what you wanted

Here is what I posted,in it's entirety.

Your assumption that my mind deceived me into believing in God,because I wanted to,can also be applied to your situation,Your mind deceived you into not believing in God,because that is what you wanted.

So ,no,I was not insulting,merely pointing out that what you wrong fully assumed about me and my beliefs,could also be applied to you and your beliefs.
So i did not insult you,and I will not apologize for posting the truth.
But ,I do want to thank you Your comments have served to further strengthen my faith...Although that was not your intention
that is what you managed to accomplish.
But,I see no reason to continue this disccussion.....I believe the reasons for not continuing should be fairly obvious...
Case Closed

Location hidden

#101069 Apr 26, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Ok, ok, Buzz Killington. I'll stop making jokes about your magic underwear.
Yeah, so far it looks like you are capable. Nice final jab as a demonstration

Location hidden

#101070 Apr 26, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>And you're still being insulting.

This is highly insulting. You don't get it. You won't get it. You are not open to the possibility of being wrong, nor of others being right and not sharing your lack of ability to reason.
Yes, I caught that sarcastic irony

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#101071 Apr 26, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it mean JW's don't have to wash their underwear? Do they magically self cleanse? Inquiring minds want to know...

Location hidden

#101072 Apr 26, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I never claimed I wasn't immature.

Location hidden

#101073 Apr 26, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>None... I don't care if 4 Billion people witness something and claim it to be some miraculous thing... I still would not Believe... I would require Evidence that could be studied, verified, validated, tested and reproduced .... The Human Species See's a tiny portion of the light spectrum, hears a tiny sliver of the audio spectrum and sense a tiny tidbit of the em spectrum all together... And then the species has the ability to rationalize the observed in irrational, illogical and many times completely Wrong ways...
That's exactly the type of answer I suspected I would receive. Of course all 4 billion would be completely wrong, even if you were one of them.
Truthis

Monticello, KY

#101074 Apr 26, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it mean JW's don't have to wash their underwear? Do they magically self cleanse? Inquiring minds want to know...
They are not JW's they're Mormons. Don't remark about something you don't even know about.
Gobledegook

Ocoee, FL

#101075 Apr 26, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
heeehaaaaw, you beter not wash yurs cuz thas the only way you kno you gottam on wright
yellow stain is the frontpart brown stain is the backpart

Location hidden

#101076 Apr 26, 2013
<quoted text>Q-man summed it up well. But, you might want to google "why eye witness testimony is unreliable". I've said it before, any attorney will tell you that it's a lousy type of "evidence".
Sorry, but if I witnessed a long bearded man with a stick make water part, I wouldn't give a rip what an attorney had to say about it.

Location hidden

#101077 Apr 26, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
But,I see no reason to continue this disccussion.....I believe the reasons for not continuing should be fairly obvious...
Case Closed
LOL! Oh it's obvious.

Have you ever won an argument?
Gobledegook

Ocoee, FL

#101078 Apr 26, 2013
<quoted text>
I never claimed I wasn't immature.
gat that wright youse alweys claim you was imanure

Location hidden

#101079 Apr 26, 2013
<quoted text>I never claimed I wasn't immature.
And I never denied it.

Location hidden

#101080 Apr 26, 2013
Truthis wrote:
<quoted text>They are not JW's they're Mormons. Don't remark about something you don't even know about.
No one has magic underwear, not even Mormons

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#101081 Apr 26, 2013
Gobledegook wrote:
<quoted text>
heeehaaaaw, you beter not wash yurs cuz thas the only way you kno you gottam on wright
yellow stain is the frontpart brown stain is the backpart
Now curious, we know that you like to sniff childrens underwear

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 1 hr Spud 17
jason hughes 4 hr Cuzzo 9
jessica napier 6 hr hmm 1
brandon bryson 6 hr old friend 4
food stamp office 6 hr Jdp889 15
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 8 hr _Zoey_ 3,608
teena Marie mills 9 hr Flatlick 4
praying it's all a lie 16 hr Just the truth 5
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:15 am PST

Bleacher Report 2:15AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?
NBC Sports 6:16 AM
A.J. Green's injured arm "feeling a little better"
Bleacher Report12:06 AM
Indianapolis Colts vs. Tennessee Titans: Complete Week 17 Preview for Tennessee
Bleacher Report 4:00 AM
Bengals vs. Steelers: TV Info, Spread, Injury Updates, Game Time and More
NBC Sports 4:25 AM
Andy Dalton returns to practice, but other Bengals still sick