Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,888

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101042 Apr 26, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I addressed this already. People read the paper in the morning, so the time of day is not really shocking. Also, this all takes place in a few weeks, right? From the time the dog was found by the other person to the time the lady saw the ad is only a few weeks, correct? So right off the bat there is roughly a 1/14 chance she would call on that day. Actually, even better odds than that.
You are looking for reasons to justify an irrational belief.
Yes,you did address that already and there is a high probability that this was a coincidence,,In my posting,I agreed that all the events that took place could have been a coincidence .
let us look at the total picture.
What are the odds,that someone who is aware that a dog was found,
and that the person who found it,gave it away.

In effect,one can assume that she has no reason to try and seek it's owner. She didnot find the dog,she does not have the dog in her possession and no one has asked her to attempt to fing it's owner
2 weeks after tthe dog was given away,she is reading the paper and does something that she had never had reason to do before,for some reason she could not explain,she turns to the lost pet section.
She reads through some 15 ads,mine included, that were listed and finds that none of the descriptions fits her recollection of what the dog she'd seen once,looked like.
For some reason or other, of the 15 or so ads listed,she selects my ad and responds to it.
Now ,that series of consecutive events,or coincidences,do not conform to the way one would normally react under those circumstances.
Since she had no responsibility in trying to locate the owner of the dog,what caused her to do so.
What are the odds that the average person would have reacted in the same way?
If you had been in her place and concluded that the ads did not match the description of the dog ,as you remembered it,why would you waste your time ,making a call that you believed would not bear any results and why would you select my ad over the other ads that were in the paper
What are the odds that a normal human being would react the way she did.

If you believe that you would have reacted the same way,can you
explain the reasons why you would do so.
I have asked for a logically based explanation as to why these coincidences took place.
The responses that I have received are based on opinions,as to how they may have taken place. Logically means,according to logical reasoning,,,,Does not mean according to your personal belief as to how these events may have taken place
So,the responses do lead to the possibility of their being
another explanation.
The question is,what or who caused this lady to behave in the way she did?
The responses that have been posted,have ignored that other possibility,because they don't believe God exists,so that possibility is automatically dismissed.
In spite of my doubts about the existene of God at that time,I was unable to rule out that possibility,Since my prayer was addressed to God,in whom I did not believe existed but hoped,that if he did exist,he would answer my prayer.
The fact that,I was able to finally find my dog,did not convince me of God's exitence,but it did raise some doubts about my beliefs.
If God was real,he needed to provide me with more evidence,which he has contilously done over the years.

In your opinion,"I am looking for reasons to justify an irrational belief."
That is YOUR opinion,which is not based on facts,but based on your belief that there is no God
I believe in God and Jesus Christ based on the evidence he has provided me and by testing his teachings.
I tested them,lived them and I experienced them.
You have not,so I don't see what qualifies you, to pass judgement on something you know nothing about

Does what I have experienced prove to anyone the existence of God,,,,,,,No.
Does it prove to ME,the existence of God..YES
Truthis

Monticello, KY

#101043 Apr 26, 2013
I hear this _Ummm_ guy is a real queer. They say he has both men and women parts. Anyone know if that's true? He hacked a bunch of people on another thread. He will expose you if you threaten him I was told. Don't throw your address around on here, seriously.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#101044 Apr 26, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>Are you familiar with Occam's razor?
Yes. This isn't a good example of that though. In each case they were trying to right what they felt was a wrong from other sects. So they tried to go by their interpretation of the scriptures to start again.
Truthis

Monticello, KY

#101045 Apr 26, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Science proved your religion wrong time after time, Starting with the world being round, no godly heaven found above the earth, cultures and societies around the world that did not get flooded out, no army found in the red sea, etc....
Your whole bible and religion has been proven false.
You really think man can find Heaven? How stupid are you? Science cannot prove or disprove things Spiritual. Remember the Tower of Babel.

Location hidden

#101046 Apr 26, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I didn't. I'm explaining that scientists change their minds because of new evidence found.
Of course they do. That's the rational response to new evidence being found.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Therefore, for over 50 years we were taught incorrect information about dinosaurs because not all the required evidence was found to make the correct claims in these cases. All my old textbooks and children's books that include a brontosaurus are just as incorrect as "the world is flat" thinking.
So, are you saying that the theory of birds evolving from dinosaurs is no longer the prevailing theory? This is news to me.

Location hidden

#101047 Apr 26, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
Ok the first decades of the church were surrounded by debt, so we now teach self reliance and no debt. That's sound advice regardless of religion.
And magic underwear? I hope you were joking.
Yes, don't get your magic underwear in a bunch, the whole post was a joke.

Location hidden

#101048 Apr 26, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
Don't put your stupid strawman words in my mouth, idiot. I, and any other scientific mind, will believe a miracle occurred when there is evidence for one. The same as any other observed process in this universe. There is not, and never has been, evidence for a miracle. I can't tell if you're intentionally being an intelligence insulting douchebag, or you say these things because you really think I'm that stupid and actually have those beliefs. I will respect that you have at least some level of intelligence and go with the former.

And I don't care what you were taught or what people might have hypothesized decades ago... birds ARE theropod dinosaurs. There is NO valid debate on that, as there is too much supporting evidence. There is debate concerning other specifics of how they may have evolved (as is typical), but the only thing detractors of this current and almost universally held belief have to argue over is a weak phalangeal differentiation.
I still do not see what post you are responding to. It looks like you are just commenting and did not include which post you are responding to.
Which post is your first rant referring to?

As far as the dinosaur response. I'm not refuting that dinosaurs and birds are not of common ancestry. I'm reminding everyone that 20 years ago, not everyone agreed. The majority of scientists overwhelmingly agreed that they were all cold-blooded and shared ancestry with reptiles and not birds. My point is, scientists can draw the wrong conclusion with what evidence they have, and then completely change their stance when more or different evidence comes forth.

Location hidden

#101049 Apr 26, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Every one has a bible, most have many different verses and books. Your bible says something that the JW bible does not yet the JW says things the KJV does not and so on and so on.
So every sect made their own bible, nothing godly about that
Hey, I bet I can write a bible that says my beliefs are godly
Most of what the KJV includes can be closely compared to the Geneva Bible. I don't read Hebrew, Greek, or Latin so that's the best I have to come closest to original scripts

Location hidden

#101050 Apr 26, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>No, because there is no such address, I checked because I am going through Tenn. in a couple of months.
I was hoping to hear the results of this one. Haha

Location hidden

#101051 Apr 26, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Science proved your religion wrong time after time, Starting with the world being round, no godly heaven found above the earth, cultures and societies around the world that did not get flooded out, no army found in the red sea, etc....
Your whole bible and religion has been proven false.
Some of what we read in the Bible are people's interpretations of what they were shown, like Revelations for example. People hear a voice from above, so they assume Heaven is in the clouds for example.
No remains of Egyptian armies in the Red Sea however, does not prove that it didn't happen. I remember it being on the news when I was in grade school about a formation of rocks found in the Red Sea that scholars said resembled an altar and could be the altar built to thank God for saving them. You can still find it if you google it, but I don't believe that would ever be conclusive as proof that it happened.

What cultures did not flood out? I've never heard this argument. I don't think anyone knows when the flood occurred for sure.

Location hidden

#101052 Apr 26, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
And those societies and cultures where around for ten thousand years before your mythical flood.
China has written history from before your flood and they did not get wiped out.
Egypt, an advanced culture has written history from before your flood, they did not get wiped out.
Your bible is a story written to promote a race of people above all others and to justify their hate, blood lust, perversion, theft, and evil
Again, how does anyone know when the flood occurred? Adding up the genealogy listed in the Bible? We don't know if that is complete and we don't know how long they lived. I'm not an "earth is 6000 years old" Christian.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#101053 Apr 26, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I still do not see what post you are responding to. It looks like you are just commenting and did not include which post you are responding to.
Which post is your first rant referring to?
Your computer/phone/tablet is broken.

I was referring to the logical fallacy you made wherein I require 100% of the population of the Earth to witness something firsthand before I accept it as true.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as the dinosaur response. I'm not refuting that dinosaurs and birds are not of common ancestry. I'm reminding everyone that 20 years ago, not everyone agreed. The majority of scientists overwhelmingly agreed that they were all cold-blooded and shared ancestry with reptiles and not birds. My point is, scientists can draw the wrong conclusion with what evidence they have, and then completely change their stance when more or different evidence comes forth.
I fail to see ANY negatives in your 'point'. Are you trying to tell me that it's better to form some belief hundreds/thousands of years ago based on weak evidence and then never change it, no matter what evidence we uncover? I know you'll say that you aren't, but how would anyone get that by looking at the things you say here?
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I was hoping to hear the results of this one. Haha
http://i.imgur.com/fzuOrJr.jpg
That's the nearest house to that location. But since it's a rural road, it could be a mile away from there. Still, would be very easy to find if one were on the road.

Location hidden

#101054 Apr 26, 2013
<quoted text>Of course they do. That's the rational response to new evidence being found.

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
Therefore, for over 50 years we were taught incorrect information about dinosaurs because not all the required evidence was found to make the correct claims in these cases. All my old textbooks and children's books that include a brontosaurus are just as incorrect as "the world is flat" thinking. "

So, are you saying that the theory of birds evolving from dinosaurs is no longer the prevailing theory? This is news to me.
No, I'm saying the opposite. They used to think that Dinos were cold-blooded and that reptiles came from them.
And my point was, more discoveries will continue to come forth so theories are subject to change.

Location hidden

#101055 Apr 26, 2013
<quoted text>Yes, don't get your magic underwear in a bunch, the whole post was a joke.
Disclaimer for all, Mormons do not believe in magic underwear.
Our temple related undergarments are used to remind us of covenants that we made with our Father in Heaven. They also remind us to remain modest. They are representative of the skins made for Adam and Eve to hide their nakedness.
Any reference to magic underwear is just an attempt to make Mormons look stupid.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#101056 Apr 26, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
"can gloat and say "I told you so".
So,the fact that both occurences happened on the same day and date,at the same time,makes time very relevant AND can not be dismissed by stating that I was somehow tricked
UUUUM wrote
1)NO. They can EASILY be dismissed as you being tricked. Because you were. There is no connection and none can be drawn. It is a complete coincidence and irrelevant.

let me show you why it is relevant,based on the teachings of scripture;

&#9668; Isaiah 65:24 &#9658;
I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers!

So,the lady calls me at about 9;00am to provide me with the information that will lead me to finding my dog and that is exactly the time when I was praying for his return.
That,to you,is a coincidence,that can be easily dismissed as my having been tricked.
I,on the other hand,believing God,can not dismiss it as irrelevant,since ,to me ,it only serves to validate what scripture teaches...

2). My hypothesis was developed by taking known facts about both your situation and how the human mind works AND is entirely probable.

The known facts about my situation,on which you based your hypothesis,do not seem to be highly probable. The lady in question had very little reason,if any,to search for the owner of the dog,She did not find him,she did not have him in her possession and no one had asked her to search for it's owner.
She could give no reason as to why she decided to look in the lost pets section of the paper,something she had never had a reason to do before.
When she looked and read the ads, based on her recollection of what the dog looked like she could not find any ad that described my dog,INCLUDING my ad.
In spite of the fact that she believed that the description in my ad did not fit the description of the dog in question,she decided to call me anyway. That does not make sense and that is not the way
the average human mind functions.
Your assumption,that my mind caused me to believe,because I wanted to believe,thereby,deceiving me ,is very misleading.
That is not the reason for my belief in God. I have more than once posted the reasons for my faith,and never have I stated that it was based on such a foolish reason ,as the one you are attributing to me.
I know the reasons on which I base my faith,they are based on the facts and personal experiences that I have had with God,not on wishful thinking.
That is ts something that you,or anyone who does not believe in God ,is able to understand,rightfully so.
Your assumption that my mind deceived me into believing in God,because I wanted to,can also be applied to your situation,Your mind deceived you into not believing in God,because that is what you wanted.
If you felt that I was trying to insult you,that was not my intent,I was trying to make a point,unfortunately,I seem to have used the wrong words,,,,For that I apologize.......
I believe that this is the 3rd time I've had to apologize to someone....
That is great,I am getting a lesson in humility

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#101057 Apr 26, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Your computer/phone/tablet is broken.
I was referring to the logical fallacy you made wherein I require 100% of the population of the Earth to witness something firsthand before I accept it as true.
<quoted text>
I fail to see ANY negatives in your 'point'. Are you trying to tell me that it's better to form some belief hundreds/thousands of years ago based on weak evidence and then never change it, no matter what evidence we uncover? I know you'll say that you aren't, but how would anyone get that by looking at the things you say here?
<quoted text>
http://i.imgur.com/fzuOrJr.jpg
That's the nearest house to that location. But since it's a rural road, it could be a mile away from there. Still, would be very easy to find if one were on the road.
Even if the address was a good one you would end up knocking on the door of some back holler granny that will look at you funny a ask you what the hell is "innernet".....

“pervinco per logica”

#101058 Apr 26, 2013
And you're still being insulting.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mind deceived you into not believing in God,because that is what you wanted.
This is highly insulting. You don't get it. You won't get it. You are not open to the possibility of being wrong, nor of others being right and not sharing your lack of ability to reason.

Location hidden

#101059 Apr 26, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Disclaimer for all, Mormons do not believe in magic underwear.
Our temple related undergarments are used to remind us of covenants that we made with our Father in Heaven. They also remind us to remain modest. They are representative of the skins made for Adam and Eve to hide their nakedness.
Any reference to magic underwear is just an attempt to make Mormons look stupid.
Ok, ok, Buzz Killington. I'll stop making jokes about your magic underwear.

Location hidden

#101060 Apr 26, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
let me show you why it is relevant,based on the teachings of scripture;
Good thinking pal. I'm sure you'll convince him with that!
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I,on the other hand,believing God,can not dismiss it as irrelevant,since ,to me ,it only serves to validate what scripture teaches...
At least you're starting to identify why you can't think rationally...even if you don't yet realize it.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
She could give no reason as to why she decided to look in the lost pets section of the paper,something she had never had a reason to do before.
At least three people now have explained to you why she would have looked at the lost pet section while she was reading the paper. Your refusal to even acknowledge the possibility of it not being "divine intervention" speaks volumes about your lack of objectivity.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that this is the 3rd time I've had to apologize to someone....
That is great,I am getting a lesson in humility
More lies? I wonder, if your god actually existed would he consider false humility a lie?

“pervinco per logica”

#101061 Apr 26, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Even if the address was a good one you would end up knocking on the door of some back holler granny that will look at you funny a ask you what the hell is "innernet".....
Yes, agreed, it's almost certainly a fake. That goes without saying. I mean, what kind of moron would act like that and then give his address to people?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Brett 8 min sorry 2
To the Garland family 1 hr Friend 5
Looking for a girl who will POOP all OVER me! ;P (Apr '14) 6 hr gator 15
Jason woolum (Jul '11) 9 hr buster hyman 13
jeff vaughn not dories jeff violas jeff is a rat 10 hr Mee 3
terry smith from the creek 11 hr Curious 3
poachers on davis bend (Nov '10) 11 hr take my word 19
Need food badly 11 hr koko 53
what happen on the creek ambulances an law is u... 14 hr Get a life 8
Barbourville Dating