Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
96,301 - 96,320 of 130,467 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100814 Apr 24, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>Absolutely, as well as many other "religious" texts.

It's a Constitutional American right to do so. It is NOT a Constitutional American right however, to terrorize anyone, based upon readings or beliefs from any of them.
Fully agree, but not what I was getting at. If you like reading the Bible, you would like the Book of Mormon.
The cool thing about reading it is that if you are a believer in Jesus Christ, it will bring you closer to Him. Whether you agree with the book or not, you will either be drawn closer to Him because it makes you think about your own beliefs (challenge the depths of your current beliefs), or drawn closer to Him because you learned more about Him. Either way, you win.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#100815 Apr 24, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
If you want some really good reading material that contains the TRUTH go to www.jw.org
Or Outhouse Back up Material...

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#100816 Apr 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You know I'm a believer in God, therefore you know I believe that everything good comes from God.
I don't know all the reasons those individuals came to earth, but I do know two of them: to have their faith tested and to gain a physical body to become more like Him in our eternal progression. We also need the experiences that we encounter to help us mature and gain knowledge. We will need it in the next part of our existence...
As far as God, maybe He does know. I told you I don't understand the mind of God and don't pretend to. I just try to form opinions on His far superior intelligence, knowing I won't get there.
And you know I don't click links.
I still find this hard to believe. I mean, hard to believe that you believe it.

We have no evidence that there is an afterlife. All science indicates that when we die the game is over. I understand the fear of death leads many people to hope for something more. But what I don't understand is how people can not only hope, but actually *believe* that a particular thing is going to happen after death. I can understand people who admit agnosticism about it. They aren't really making any claims. But when you claim to KNOW what happens, very specifically in your case, I just can't fathom how you get there from here.

Did you meet someone who died and went to Heaven and then came back to talk to you about it? Did they have pictures?

Also, in that second part of your post, you hit upon the problem I talked about pages and pages ago. It is not just you, but many Christians and other religious people who make this error in thinking:

If you cannot understand the mind of God then by what criteria can you possibly understand the Bible? You are building your worldview on a house of cards, IMHO. And based on some of the things you've said on various posts I even get the feeling that you doubt it yourself. Though certainly I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, I find this idea of belief without evidence fascinating. My brain is "WTF?"

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#100817 Apr 25, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Or Outhouse Back up Material...
I hear that 100% TRUTH clears 99.9% of the cling-ons that cause stinkbutt.

Location hidden

#100818 Apr 25, 2013
To God be the Glory wrote:
This is surely the end of times. Marshal Law is on it's way.
I can't believe Glenn Beck is actually posting on Topix!

Location hidden

#100819 Apr 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What topic do you want to discuss now? Miracles don't exist because you haven't witnessed one?
I know your question wasn't directed at me, but I'd like to interject with: miracles don't exist because there's never been supporting evidence given for one (that I'm aware of). Except of course for eyewitness testimony, which as any attorney will tell you, is the least reliable form of evidence there is.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#100820 Apr 25, 2013
How stupid can you be wrote:
<quoted text>Is a vagina made for a penis?
Anything else is perversion, an abomination against God, and nature!
case closed, end of story!
So you have never stuck your penis in a mouth? No one can really know what a god wants if one existed due to gods not actually speaking or presenting themselves.
You simply trust ancient men to be one hundred percent truthful about fantastic claims that have zero evidence.

Nature does not demand all creatures procreate for a species to survive. Just ask worker ants.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#100821 Apr 25, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Not in THAT particular book, which just covers THAT particular millenium.
(That's kind of like tossing out reading about..oh say...the Civil War...because it's 2013, so it "doesn't apply" now. MMMmmm...non...that does not compute-logically!!).
I am not sure what I said that made you think I contradicted this concept?
religiouis bullshet

Hyden, KY

#100822 Apr 25, 2013
PPl are so possessed by religion.They actually think it is a good thing to brainwash a child into believing this . Religious crap gas cost more lives and held the advancement of the humane species than anything .I find it hard to believe thinking people can believe it's a good thing to spread this infection through society.I will never have a child of mine taught such lies.The more science advances the smaller the room that religion has to live in .
Keep this crap to yourselves .

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#100823 Apr 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So lets say that what Moses wrote was his interpretation of the vision that was given him and it may not be exactly how it happened. What if the matter that God used was from another, or several other planets that had dissipated? That's the thought that I have had on the matter.
So if the accounts of the story could be flawed, then no one can really know what a god said. No one can know which accounts were wrong.
If one prophet was wrong as you claimed (Brigham) then doubt can be cast on all of them, right? If so, then how can you be so sure homosexuality is against the wishes of god?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#100824 Apr 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I've said many times that I believe that one of the main reasons we are here is to have our faith tested. So what if I'm right? What if all the efforts of atheists were wasted trying to tell those with faith that they need proof, when they already know that proof will never come? The knowledge would come quickly once they die but are still aware of their surroundings. So then what? What then? I've always wanted to know what they think their thoughts would be at that moment, but no one will pause and be open minded enough to humor me with a response other than how stupid I am for believing in God. Can someone answer me with an open mind?
So you scold us for not answering a question even before you give us a chance? How hypocritical, as I have asked you many questions and have given you ample chance to answer and you refuse to even try.

I would be glad to answer your question when you answer this one. If Brigham was wrong, why could the claims of the old testament not be wrong? Can you admit the claim of homosexuality being an abomination could just be from some flawed, homophobic man?

I would love for you to humor me. Give and ye shall receive.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#100825 Apr 25, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>
i have actually thought of what i would say to god if it were true when i die and to be honest i know exactly what i would say. i would just say, "u know why my mind works the way it does and for u to forsake me and not give me the proof i need for your existence just goes to show that i was never loved to begin with. i was born with a ticket to hell already becuz i did try to believe and the more i tried, the more i doubted and u, yourself, left me dry with no answers when i need u the most. so i ask u now god, why did u never love me as u did the others children that u gave the miracles to so that they would know of your love and existence? why did u never care that i was strayin from the truth and step in so that i wouldnt have to face torture of hell for eternity? i guess all i can say is F*&K YOU TOO, cuz thats what u were sayin to me my whole life by turnin your back to me and never even opening my heart up to your love." notice i dont respect my father if he doesnt deserve it so im a commandment violator now. but why try to beg and plea for your life when its to late, just accpet it and walk in to hell with your head held high is all i can say. call what i say BS or what ever u will but that is the honest truth as to what i would say cuz i got tired of hearin the same ol what are u gonna say when u die and u have to face him, then u will regret it, so i gave it some real thought as to what i feel i should say to god as i am being sentenced to hell.
"Do what" was so sure no one would ever humor his question.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#100826 Apr 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What's a prehuman bone?
No I don't, and I didn't claim to. I'm not trying to trap you in something, I just wanted to know. So claiming there is evidence (without providing it) and then asking where the proof is for my beliefs is no different an answer than the kind that you complain about from Christians.
I pointed out a prehuman bone would be that of a bipedal ape. Did you miss that? But even fully evolved human remains that are the oldest are found in Africa by a large margin. So it stands to reason humans first came from Africa.
Are you wishing for me to post a link?
This is not a debatable claim. The evidence is there to be found by a simple google search. Are you disputing their is evidence or are you just to lazy to look?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#100827 Apr 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This is why we have the Holy Ghost. His job is to verify truth.
So you trust a holy ghost is guiding your brain? How can you know this happens? Because a prophet told you?
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100828 Apr 25, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Fully agree, but not what I was getting at. If you like reading the Bible, you would like the Book of Mormon.
The cool thing about reading it is that if you are a believer in Jesus Christ, it will bring you closer to Him. Whether you agree with the book or not, you will either be drawn closer to Him because it makes you think about your own beliefs (challenge the depths of your current beliefs), or drawn closer to Him because you learned more about Him. Either way, you win.
As I mentioned, while not having read the whole book cover to cover, at one point in time, I had read a good little bit from it. While I do not feel need to "challenge my own beliefs" I did not find what I did read from the book, to detract from them.

Personally, I think we need more people willing to look at the problems behind the increasing terrorism afflicitions are presenting themselves in the apparently blind eyed faces of this country lately.
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100829 Apr 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I am not sure what I said that made you think I contradicted this concept?
Eh you just woofed out some bark that you thought would make me sit down lol.
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100830 Apr 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I pointed out a prehuman bone would be that of a bipedal ape. Did you miss that? But even fully evolved human remains that are the oldest are found in Africa by a large margin. So it stands to reason humans first came from Africa.
Are you wishing for me to post a link?
This is not a debatable claim. The evidence is there to be found by a simple google search. Are you disputing their is evidence or are you just to lazy to look?
Derr..Pangea were a big chunk o' goobleduhgook type rocks, resting on some serious plates of rift.

Might've even had some natural indegnous rock stepping stone formations, right out er Tethas fer easier travelink, for all we REALLY know.

Ya subliminal snake oil pusher...

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#100831 Apr 25, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Derr..Pangea were a big chunk o' goobleduhgook type rocks, resting on some serious plates of rift.
Might've even had some natural indegnous rock stepping stone formations, right out er Tethas fer easier travelink, for all we REALLY know.
Ya subliminal snake oil pusher...
This sounds just as stupid as when you really proposed such a thing.

Location hidden

#100832 Apr 25, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I still find this hard to believe. I mean, hard to believe that you believe it.

We have no evidence that there is an afterlife. All science indicates that when we die the game is over. I understand the fear of death leads many people to hope for something more. But what I don't understand is how people can not only hope, but actually *believe* that a particular thing is going to happen after death. I can understand people who admit agnosticism about it. They aren't really making any claims. But when you claim to KNOW what happens, very specifically in your case, I just can't fathom how you get there from here.

Did you meet someone who died and went to Heaven and then came back to talk to you about it? Did they have pictures?

Also, in that second part of your post, you hit upon the problem I talked about pages and pages ago. It is not just you, but many Christians and other religious people who make this error in thinking:

If you cannot understand the mind of God then by what criteria can you possibly understand the Bible? You are building your worldview on a house of cards, IMHO. And based on some of the things you've said on various posts I even get the feeling that you doubt it yourself. Though certainly I could be wrong about that.

Anyway, I find this idea of belief without evidence fascinating. My brain is "WTF?"
The cool thing to me is that neither of us know what happens after death. Science is useless in this question and belief can never show proof. I think the first 10 seconds after we die will be very cool if believers are right.

Why is it so hard to believe that people can have faith in something they don't fully understand? You have not tested every theory that scientists put forth. You have faith in humans that their tests were done properly.
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100833 Apr 25, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
This sounds just as stupid as when you really proposed such a thing.
We understand, it's hard from some, to conceptualize the viability of actually known scientific facts.

Might want to just stick to hating and foaming at the mouth over anyone else's Bible...and gutter-sniping at others from the ghetto level--no braincell activity required for that!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 8 min DITCH MITCH 1,242
Johnnie Mcgegor at csc 1 hr Tell it 9
Calvary Christian start date? (Jul '13) 1 hr PARENT 15
hot girl a the funeral home 1 hr justbecuse0105 6
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 1 hr lordy 151,092
To the people cutting catalytic converters... 2 hr Junk man 10
Fight lee mart 2 hr dkkdk 2
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating