Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,855

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100893 Apr 25, 2013
John F Dillenger wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, you are right (didn't expect that did you)! If a bee of most any kind is compaired to a fixed wing aircraft, it can't fly, however it can't be and it does! So my hat is off to you! I did base it on what I had been told for many years, sometimes by highly educated people? My degree is in Psychology, not aerodynamics. So… How does this make you feel?
It makes me feel good for you. We all go through our lives carrying misconceptions around with us. I'm sure I have some now. Personally, I love the feeling of having one dispelled (not always immediately) because then I feel like my view of reality is clearer. So, yeah.. I feel good for you.
John F Dillenger

Johnson City, TN

#100894 Apr 25, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, hypocrite, but you were just as rude and arrogant as him. Probably more so.
I went back to make sure; and I made no comments to him at all, untill he rudely commented on a response I made to Mr S/S. Go back and show any comment I made to him prior to his smartass comment about me? Why Ummm, can't think of a name? The sound of the universe is Ommm; if thats what you are suggesting?
John F Dillenger

Johnson City, TN

#100895 Apr 25, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
It makes me feel good for you. We all go through our lives carrying misconceptions around with us. I'm sure I have some now. Personally, I love the feeling of having one dispelled (not always immediately) because then I feel like my view of reality is clearer. So, yeah.. I feel good for you.
Thank You. It was rather abrupt, was it not.:)

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#100896 Apr 25, 2013
John F Dillenger wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that why you responded to one line of my post? I would call someone a hypocrite, were I you.
English, please. And before you start typing it, think.

“pervinco per logica”

#100897 Apr 25, 2013
John F Dillenger wrote:
<quoted text>
I went back to make sure; and I made no comments to him at all, untill he rudely commented on a response I made to Mr S/S. Go back and show any comment I made to him prior to his smartass comment about me? Why Ummm, can't think of a name? The sound of the universe is Ommm; if thats what you are suggesting?
In what way does it matter who commented to who? My point was clear. You were rude and arrogant. You accused him of being the same. You are a hypocrite. And a rather dense one, since I just had to explain this to you.

Also, don't worry about my Topix name. It's completely irrelevant to anything being discussed here.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#100898 Apr 25, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
You would think they could come up with a better example of prayer working than a lost dog. I wonder how many children were harmed while God was busy on the lost dog job?
Muslim God was busy in Boston.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#100899 Apr 25, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Not my personal choice of forte, but thank you for the suggestion.
You are very welcome but may I ask why not? Have you ever read any of Jehovah's Witnesses publications?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100900 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>
like a broken record... like a broken record... like a broken record, you are.
You make bold assertions "the events that happened to me can't be explained by science"...etc
But, when someone presses you for clarification, you claim they're too stupid to understand what "really" happened.
You are one of the inane posters who responed and did so,BY NOT addressing the specific issues I had asked to be addressed.
I also took the steps to clarify what I stated...
You still did not respond to the specifics and arbitrarily ignored them in your response,
In other words,you did not have something intelligent to say,but,you had to say something.
You are now on IGNORE,along with the other nickname you use
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100901 Apr 25, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's the way that you, just like a good Christain, continually attempt to insult me instead of simply answering what was asked:
"you would not have been able to grasp"
"your inability to grasp"
"your inability to compprehend"
"upset you"
"arbitrarily dismissed"
So, to clarify exactly where you stand, NO... I am not unable to grasp anything you have or will state. I am not unable to comprehend anything you have or will state. I am not upset by the existence of stupid people on the internet. And I arbitrarily dismiss nothing. At this point, you can either tuck your tail and slink off to whatever hole you came from, or you can answer me.
I will state it again, as clearly as possible:
If you had never prayed could it still have happened in the exact same way (i.e. through either random chance or normal processes)? Do note that this says nothing about probability or your difficulty in grasping that a low probability occurrence could happen to you. Please explain what happened and how you think the question applies.
<quoted text>
I did. He probably did, too. Why wouldn't we both expect that we were right? It's not like either of us tend to blab on about things we know nothing about and then ask worthless and invalid questions in an attempt to play "gotcha". I mean, who would do that?
Please explain what happened and how you think the question applies.UMMMM wrote

Here is something I posted to Chromiuman,and therein you will find the details needed in order to get an answer to your question.

You,as did the others who responded, are not addressing the specific issues that I mentioned,that led to the events that led to my finding my dog.
Go back,read the specifics that I posted and address them.
They are 2 different events that took place on the same day, on the same date,at the same time.
when you can address those specifics,contained in the 2 separate events ,which you have not addressed,then get back to me with any questions you have.
Kindly refrain from any inane responses,such as have previously been expressed by others,
Address all the specifics, contained in both events, not merely the ones that serve your purpose,thereby arbitrarily ignoring the others and thereby making your conclusions invalid,since they are not based on the facts as I stated them
I f you can't or are unwilling to do that,then don't waste my time
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100903 Apr 25, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
You would think they could come up with a better example of prayer working than a lost dog. I wonder how many children were harmed while God was busy on the lost dog job?
Here we go again,Another one,Whom having nothing intelligent to say,has to say something.
Same person,different nickname IGNORE

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#100906 Apr 25, 2013
John F Dillenger wrote:
<quoted text>
My response was about your arrogant and condescending response to all that post! I admitted I was wrong; I was not actually responding to you; yet you felt is you’re obligation to run me down as you do almost everyone who posts on this topix! Yea you have a right to your opinion, as do others. You act like a child, and rudeness is all you know!
As a point of fact, there are only about a half dozen persons I "run down on this topix," perhaps 3 or 4 others on the "topix" of politics and a couple morons on the "topix" of electronic cigarettes. I disagree with abject dunderheadedness, and I am not bashful to say so. If one puts aside their theology/ideology/preconceptio ns/biases long enough to respectfully entertain a rational and reasonable proposition, I would voice no complaint.
For example, if a Global Flood believer would belay their arrogant blind faith in Genesis long enough to evince any willingness to consider the Burkle event as a rational explanation for a regional flood, I'm sure it would lead to an interesting and thought provoking discussion. I contend that Jesus was first and foremost a sociopolitical reformist - and yet that is oftimes met with rhetoric about the "Father, Son and Holy Ghost." Whenever I brooch these ideas, they are summarily dismissed out of hand. What respect do I owe such ignoramuses? One who snidely proposes that science says bumblebees can't fly or who steadfastly contends that man has only existed for 6,000 years deserves the same respect that I allot to a sand flea.

“pervinco per logica”

#100907 Apr 25, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain what happened and how you think the question applies.UMMMM wrote
Here is something I posted to Chromiuman,and therein you will find the details needed in order to get an answer to your question.
You,as did the others who responded, are not addressing the specific issues that I mentioned,that led to the events that led to my finding my dog.
Go back,read the specifics that I posted and address them.
They are 2 different events that took place on the same day, on the same date,at the same time.
when you can address those specifics,contained in the 2 separate events ,which you have not addressed,then get back to me with any questions you have.
Kindly refrain from any inane responses,such as have previously been expressed by others,
Address all the specifics, contained in both events, not merely the ones that serve your purpose,thereby arbitrarily ignoring the others and thereby making your conclusions invalid,since they are not based on the facts as I stated them
I f you can't or are unwilling to do that,then don't waste my time
This is worthless garbage. Did you even bother to read what you just quoted?
Here, I'll help you:
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
If you had never prayed could it still have happened in the exact same way (i.e. through either random chance or normal processes)? Do note that this says nothing about probability or your difficulty in grasping that a low probability occurrence could happen to you. Please explain what happened and how you think the question applies.
And more specifically:
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain what happened and how you think the question applies.
The crap you just spewed does none of this. And I'm not going to sift through 96000 posts to find the one where you MAY have given some amount of detail, especially when you STILL wouldn't have discussed it in the context of what I asked.
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Please explain what happened and how you think the question applies.
This is not a difficult concept for a person with a functioning brain.

Location hidden

#100908 Apr 25, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You are one of the inane posters who responed and did so,BY NOT addressing the specific issues I had asked to be addressed.
I also took the steps to clarify what I stated...
You still did not respond to the specifics and arbitrarily ignored them in your response,
In other words,you did not have something intelligent to say,but,you had to say something.
You are now on IGNORE,along with the other nickname you use
So now you're having to resort to straight out lying eh? Tsk tsk, what your god must think of you.

Here's where I responded to your post:
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/somerset-ky/T...

Other's gave logical, point by point explanations as well, but you ignored their posts...just like you did mine.

And I assure you I only post as Skeptical Spectacles on Topix. I have other names on other sites, but here I am Skeptical Spectacles.

Location hidden

#100909 Apr 25, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
The crap you just spewed does none of this. And I'm not going to sift through 96000 posts to find the one where you MAY have given some amount of detail, especially when you STILL wouldn't have discussed it in the context of what I asked.
Here you go (link below).
It was like pulling teeth to get him to recite his "miraculous" story. Prepare yourself to be amazed at the sequence of events that "can't be explained logically":

...and yes, curious (even though you have me on "IGNORE" I know you're reading this)...that was sarcasm.

“pervinco per logica”

#100910 Apr 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Here you go (link below).
It was like pulling teeth to get him to recite his "miraculous" story. Prepare yourself to be amazed at the sequence of events that "can't be explained logically":
...and yes, curious (even though you have me on "IGNORE" I know you're reading this)...that was sarcasm.
Thanks. I read it. And I actually agree with him:
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Note; These events do not prove God's existence or that he answers prayers.
Guess we're done.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100911 Apr 25, 2013
Anyone claiming that they responded to the specific events that I posted and what may have caused those events to occur,can do so,by reposting
their responses,If they gave an answer based on the specifics and the coincidences that occurred,that led to my findind my dog,I certainly am not aware of such.
The coincidences that need to be addressed are the following
Between the hours of 8;30AM and 9;00 AM
1)I am in church,praying to God,that If,when I walk out the door,my dog is standing there,I would believe in him. When I left the church ,it was 9;00 AM...When I opened the door,the dog was not there,so,I concluded my prayer had not been answered.
2)During that same time frame8;30 and 9;00 am
on the same day and the same date,another separate event is taking place that will lead to my finding my dog.
A lady has a friend,who found a stray dog and had given it away about 2 weeks prior. The lady in question never gave the dog a second thought,which makes sense,why should she?
3) However,during the same time that I am praying,she is reading the paper,and for reasons she couk[ld not explain to me,she turns to the lost pet section.
She reads throughthe ads and none of the descriptions listed there seem to fit the description of the dog in question.
4) How ever,even though the descriptions do not seem to fit,IMNCLUDING that contained in my ad,for some reason she was unable to explain,she decided to call me anyway. Why did she do that?
5) When she finally contacted, me later on that day,
she tells me that she had called me that morning,at 9;am and no one had answered the phone.

Let me list the coincidences;
A)at9;00am I left the church,believing my prayer had not been answered,,,At that same time,a lady that does not believe that the dog described in the ad in the paper is my dog,calla me any way.( That is not logical and hardly qualifies as a coincidence)
B)That the lady happened to be reading the paper at the same time as I was in church is a coincidence,but
C)That she happened to turn her attention to the lost pet section,without having any reason to do so,is another coincidence,Why did she do that?

D)that she elected to call me out of all the other ads in the paper,which,including my ad,did not seem to describe the dog in question,is another coincidence.Why did she do that?
E)That she called me at 9;00am,exactly the same time when I believed my prayer had not been answered,to provide me with the information that would lead me to my dog ,is another coincidence.
Can someone explain that?
Would like logical explanation for all those coincidences.
Of course,I expect to get inane responses fromcertain posters,On the other hand,those who claim to have an open mind,may attempt to explain.

And remember,I stated that I was not convinced thatGod had answered my prayer,,,However I was unable to logically explain the events in question.
Maybe someone can?

Location hidden

#100912 Apr 25, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So if the accounts of the story could be flawed, then no one can really know what a god said. No one can know which accounts were wrong.
If one prophet was wrong as you claimed (Brigham) then doubt can be cast on all of them, right? If so, then how can you be so sure homosexuality is against the wishes of god?
I think you misunderstood me and are trying to ride that pony in the ground. Let me clarify. Not everything a prophet speaks is inspired or is direct revelation from The Lord. They speak words from their own minds much more frequently than they declare revelation.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100913 Apr 25, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
This is worthless garbage. Did you even bother to read what you just quoted?
Here, I'll help you:
<quoted text>
And more specifically:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
This is not a difficult concept for a person with a functioning brain.
I am responding to your post,according to my human nature,not only to you,but also to some of the others who post here;And they know who they are...
Based on the following saying;
A wise man speaks,when he has something to say,a fool speaks when he has to say something

My description of worthless garbage,as you stated,applies to the contents contained in your supposedly intellectual head

Location hidden

#100914 Apr 25, 2013
curious wrote:
Anyone claiming that they responded to the specific events that I posted and what may have caused those events to occur,can do so,by reposting
their responses...
Thanks, I've been waiting all day for your permission to do this.
(was that more sarcasm?)

Here's what I posted the first time (and that I linked to above). I'm sure you'll just ignore it like the first two times. But what the heck.
I fail to see anything illogical here. Improbable? Maybe, but so are winning $100 scratch lottery tickets and that happens all the time. Given the probabilities of the two, I'd bet on your scenario happening at a higher rate than winning $100 on a scratch ticket anyday.

You say that she read the lost pets section for reasons unknown. No, she read the lost pets section because her friend recently found a dog. Even if she didn't intend to. That's kind of how your subconscious works. You do stuff all the time that you're not consciously thinking about.
The timing of the call? Sure it's coincidence. As Yiago pointed out, most people read the paper in the morning, she called "around" 9am. That doesn't strike me as odd in the slightest.
You say your ad didn't match her description of the dog. So, either your ad was horribly written (not likely if you actually wanted the dog back), or her memory was horrible. I think it's very likely that the description matched enough that it triggered the call...again, it could have been enough for her subconscious to make the connection for her. The subconscious works that way, and lucky for us it does. It pulls our butts out of the "fire" all the time.

You make bold assertions like "science can't explain this" or "this is completely illogical". Yet, it can be simply explained. It's not even that coincidental.
I'm sure you'll just say I'm too stupid to understand what really happened though...
John F Dillenger

Johnson City, TN

#100915 Apr 25, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
As a point of fact, there are only about a half dozen persons I "run down on this topix," perhaps 3 or 4 others on the "topix" of politics and a couple morons on the "topix" of electronic cigarettes. I disagree with abject dunderheadedness, and I am not bashful to say so. If one puts aside their theology/ideology/preconceptio ns/biases long enough to respectfully entertain a rational and reasonable proposition, I would voice no complaint.
For example, if a Global Flood believer would belay their arrogant blind faith in Genesis long enough to evince any willingness to consider the Burkle event as a rational explanation for a regional flood, I'm sure it would lead to an interesting and thought provoking discussion. I contend that Jesus was first and foremost a sociopolitical reformist - and yet that is oftimes met with rhetoric about the "Father, Son and Holy Ghost." Whenever I brooch these ideas, they are summarily dismissed out of hand. What respect do I owe such ignoramuses? One who snidely proposes that science says bumblebees can't fly or who steadfastly contends that man has only existed for 6,000 years deserves the same respect that I allot to a sand flea.
In the grand reality of things what is your opinion worth? More than theirs or mine, no! Who are you exactly? A simple P--ick acting lile a big shot on topix! If you are so vastly intellegent, share your wisdom with the world, little man!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Need food badly 1 hr Keep trying 24
truck payments 1 hr hunter 9
city of barbourville 1 hr Three losers 15
Rats?? just wondering 2 hr pacman 4
it should be against the law for a woman to drive 3 hr yea 2
hp laptop 4 hr travis 15
Wanted: Automatic Transmission for 2002 Chevy S... 6 hr Still Looking 5
Porsche mills 8 hr Prayers 17
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: Complete Week 16 Preview for Tennesse
NBC Sports12:38 PM
Dexter McCluster out Thursday, likely out Week 17 as well
NBC Sports 2:30 PM
Manziel looking for better showing in second start - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:48 PM
Titans RB McCluster ruled out of game vs. Jaguars - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 5:47 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick