Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,123

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100787 Apr 24, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
Easily. If you had never prayed could it still have happened in the exact same way? If the answer is yes, then you have no proof of an answered prayer or miracle.

So many religious people want to play both sides of the prayer thing, as well. They pray for something and it doesn't happen? It wasn't God's will. Praise God. They pray for something and it happened? God is great! Praise God. This is NOT an objective way to look at things. The only conclusion that can be logically drawn in a world where both of those things happen is that prayer does nothing. You cannot provide evidence for a single instance of prayer actually doing something that wouldn't have happened anyway.
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
Yes, I can. And I did. You said you read everything. Did you miss it?"

I've seen many people describe "miracles". None of them could not have happened through normal processes or random chance. How is yours any different? I didn't see anything you've stated that would have been.
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
Yes you do put effort into degrading people. Everytime you type the word "idiot" or "moron" you are taking effort to degrade someone. Yes I clearly misunderstand your purpose if it is not to have fun at the expense of others."

Degrading implies a lowering. I am not doing that. I am identifying their position. They lowered themselves to it. I don't make people say idiotic things or be bigots or act like they are mentally deficient.

And sure, it's fun, but you still don't understand. I'm not calling you names right now, am I?
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
As far as God, maybe He does know. I told you I don't understand the mind of God and don't pretend to. I just try to form opinions on His far superior intelligence, knowing I won't get there.
And you know I don't click links. "

You really need to familiarize yourself with the internet and stop being so scared of everything. You should be able to tell enough from the URL to know that it's not going to destroy your computer. I'm trying to get your opinion on something and it just looks like you're being hard headed or avoiding the discussion. Frustrating.
So an ear could reattach in a matter of minutes with no medical tools or professionals involved? Show me where that has happened before.

That was a terrible attempt at trying to justify how your name calling is not degradation. And I'll use your definition and still nail your actions when you brag about how smart you are as compared to everyone else on topix. This is lowering others. I really don't care that you do it, but I'm calling a spade a spade.

As far as links, give me your own words. I don't post links to LDS sites that I know you don't care about reason and ask you to follow them. You would already doubt the source anyway. I also don't post scripture links and ask you to go read them. I speak in my own words and include a quote when necessary.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100788 Apr 24, 2013
Sasha wrote:
<quoted text>Funny you say that, I happen to work in the medical field and no, I am not an allied health care worker. Maybe I treated you professionally before. I use Topix on occassion for strictly entertainment purposes. What do you do professionally?
What I do professionally is not relevant is it?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#100790 Apr 24, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Why hasn't Caliphonybrokia been studying Australia's new desalination mega structure, for future water provisioning?
Do you have a point to make or just being silly?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#100791 Apr 24, 2013
Gobledegook wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer me this;
Why do you believe that it is further to New York if you take a bus?
"There's no fixing stupid" - Ron White
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100792 Apr 24, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
<quoted text>
Easily. If you had never prayed could it still have happened in the exact same way? If the answer is yes, then you have no proof of an answered prayer or miracle.
So many religious people want to play both sides of the prayer thing, as well. They pray for something and it doesn't happen? It wasn't God's will. Praise God. They pray for something and it happened? God is great! Praise God. This is NOT an objective way to look at things. The only conclusion that can be logically drawn in a world where both of those things happen is that prayer does nothing. You cannot provide evidence for a single instance of prayer actually doing something that wouldn't have happened anyway.
<quoted text>
Ummmm wrote "Easily. If you had never prayed could it still have happened in the exact same way? If the answer is yes, then you have no proof of an answered prayer or miracle.

The fact is,that it did not happen under normal circumstances,moreover,the events that took place,that led to the response I received,could mnot be explained logically;
This is the rest of the information that I provided you with,which your response did not address,possibly because you were unable to.

"If,at that time,you turn to God,in prayer and as a result an answer is provided,one may still conclude,that it was a coincidence,or random chance.
But,if,as time goes by,you are again cinfronted with a series of other problems for which you cannot find an answer by turning to science,and neither normal processes or random chance,have provided you with a solution,
,And you again,turn to God, and as a result ,a solution is provided, time and again, and you can not logically explain the events that led to that solution
Then,you have a choice to make.
Were the solutions provided me caused by random chance or normal processes or was it God answering my prayer?"

Anyhow,I know the reasons for the basis of my FAITH,It has been succesfully tried and tested and sits on a solid foundation.
Nothing that you have posted in your response,in any way contradicts,the basis for my beliefs and Faith.
Sasha

Glasgow, KY

#100793 Apr 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What I do professionally is not relevant is it?
No, you are correct, it would never matter and never should. You were belittling and I should not have responded, normally I don't, but on occassion I am human also.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#100794 Apr 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So an ear could reattach in a matter of minutes with no medical tools or professionals involved? Show me where that has happened before.
Or better yet, you show me where it has ever happened at all. If hearsay counted, we'd have conclusive proof of bigfoot, aliens, ghosts, loch ness monster, Thor, Zeus, etc. etc. We've been through this. There are millions of occurrences throughout history of people claiming to witness something supernatural. That's not proper evidence of those things. Given the amount of evidence to the contrary (and the fact that many of these witnesses are not known to be liars), it's more likely hallucinations.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a terrible attempt at trying to justify how your name calling is not degradation. And I'll use your definition and still nail your actions when you brag about how smart you are as compared to everyone else on topix. This is lowering others. I really don't care that you do it, but I'm calling a spade a spade.
I'm not justifying anything. People say stupid things, I call them stupid. I'm "calling a spade a spade". Duh. Degrading is what people do when they call me stupid, because I'm clearly not and nobody has evidence to support such claims. I haven't posted a single thing that could be described as such when I'm being serious and not just messing around.

And how, exactly, is me saying I'm smarter than any given person "degrading" them if they are indeed exactly as I describe? You must be using some definition of the word that I am not aware of. To me, it means to unjustly portray a person more negatively than they truly are. I don't think saying I'm smarter than a person does that in any way. And regardless, there's plenty of room below that bar for one to feel very dignified in their level of intelligence.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
As far as links, give me your own words. I don't post links to LDS sites that I know you don't care about reason and ask you to follow them. You would already doubt the source anyway. I also don't post scripture links and ask you to go read them. I speak in my own words and include a quote when necessary.
But those aren't my words or opinion. It's a popular Christian site, and they are explaining their beliefs concerning the topic. I was interested in your opinion on it because it seems different from yours, yet you are playing the old "I don't click links" game. I don't get it. I'm not paraphrasing a 3 page website, and it's a stupid expectation for you to have. If you don't want to give an opinion, don't.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The fact is,that it did not happen under normal circumstances,moreover,the events that took place,that led to the response I received,could mnot be explained logically;
This is the rest of the information that I provided you with,which your response did not address,possibly because you were unable to.
Explain yourself. I did not say "normal circumstances". I did not say "that you could not explain logically". Tell me what happened and how my actual question applies.

Also, my response DOES address it because if it's true, it invalidates the remainder of your post.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100795 Apr 24, 2013
Sasha wrote:
<quoted text>No, you are correct, it would never matter and never should. You were belittling and I should not have responded, normally I don't, but on occassion I am human also.
Sorry, I wasn't trying to belittle. I was just trying to be funny. I didn't mean to offend you.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100796 Apr 24, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
Or better yet, you show me where it has ever happened at all. If hearsay counted, we'd have conclusive proof of bigfoot, aliens, ghosts, loch ness monster, Thor, Zeus, etc. etc. We've been through this. There are millions of occurrences throughout history of people claiming to witness something supernatural. That's not proper evidence of those things. Given the amount of evidence to the contrary (and the fact that many of these witnesses are not known to be liars), it's more likely hallucinations.

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
That was a terrible attempt at trying to justify how your name calling is not degradation. And I'll use your definition and still nail your actions when you brag about how smart you are as compared to everyone else on topix. This is lowering others. I really don't care that you do it, but I'm calling a spade a spade.
"

I'm not justifying anything. People say stupid things, I call them stupid. I'm "calling a spade a spade". Duh. Degrading is what people do when they call me stupid, because I'm clearly not and nobody has evidence to support such claims. I haven't posted a single thing that could be described as such when I'm being serious and not just messing around.

And how, exactly, is me saying I'm smarter than any given person "degrading" them if they are indeed exactly as I describe? You must be using some definition of the word that I am not aware of. To me, it means to unjustly portray a person more negatively than they truly are. I don't think saying I'm smarter than a person does that in any way. And regardless, there's plenty of room below that bar for one to feel very dignified in their level of intelligence.
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
As far as links, give me your own words. I don't post links to LDS sites that I know you don't care about reason and ask you to follow them. You would already doubt the source anyway. I also don't post scripture links and ask you to go read them. I speak in my own words and include a quote when necessary. "

But those aren't my words or opinion. It's a popular Christian site, and they are explaining their beliefs concerning the topic. I was interested in your opinion on it because it seems different from yours, yet you are playing the old "I don't click links" game. I don't get it. I'm not paraphrasing a 3 page website, and it's a stupid expectation for you to have. If you don't want to give an opinion, don't.
curious wrote, "<quoted text>
The fact is,that it did not happen under normal circumstances,moreover,the events that took place,that led to the response I received,could mnot be explained logically;
This is the rest of the information that I provided you with,which your response did not address,possibly because you were unable to."

Explain yourself. I did not say "normal circumstances". I did not say "that you could not explain logically". Tell me what happened and how my actual question applies.

Also, my response DOES address it because if it's true, it invalidates the remainder of your post.
Wow dude. Your arrogance seems to have warped your sense of self realization. Your interaction with others, as you just described it, is hypocrisy, but you can't even see that.
Nevermind, I know I will never get through to you on that one, so continue to talk down to others and not call it degradation. We will all continue to read it and shake our heads. After all, everyone should come to accept your reality that everyone else on here is indeed inferior to you based on your own scale of intelligence that you measure everyone on.

Sorry you can't control me by making me click your links. If you really want to know my opinion, just ask in your own words.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100797 Apr 24, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
...
The fact is,that it did not happen under normal circumstances,moreover,the events that took place,that led to the response I received,could mnot be explained logically;...
And here we go again.

Are you still going on about the "mysterious events" surrounding your runaway dog? If so, those events can be (and were) explained logically. They weren't even that remarkable.
Of course, that's my opinion. But, I don't recall anyone else on here being too impressed by those events either, so I don't think it's just my cynicism.
Sasha

Glasgow, KY

#100798 Apr 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I wasn't trying to belittle. I was just trying to be funny. I didn't mean to offend you.
You were funny and I understand now what your intention was......I apologize.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#100799 Apr 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow dude. Your arrogance seems to have warped your sense of self realization. Your interaction with others, as you just described it, is hypocrisy, but you can't even see that.
Wow what? Do you really think you as so astute as to have a better realization of what I'm saying or doing than I do? Go ahead and tell me how this is hypocrisy. Show me where I call people stupid when they aren't saying stupid things.
You need to figure out what that word means. It doesn't mean "that person is doing something I don't like". My actions are consistent with my standards, so this is NOT hypocrisy.
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Nevermind, I know I will never get through to you on that one, so continue to talk down to others and not call it degradation. We will all continue to read it and shake our heads. After all, everyone should come to accept your reality that everyone else on here is indeed inferior to you based on your own scale of intelligence that you measure everyone on.
If one will never get through to me on any topic, it's because what they're saying is bullsh!t. I am open to anything and everything that makes sense.

I don't measure based on some crazy metric. I look at the same things that any reasonable person would. And I don't make blanket statements about "everyone else here". Sure, I might make a declaration about some smaller group, but do you really think I'm wrong? Do you really doubt that I'm intellectually superior to anyone I felt like going out of my way to explain it to?
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry you can't control me by making me click your links. If you really want to know my opinion, just ask in your own words.
Can't control you?? That's just nutty. Seriously. Normal people don't refuse to go read something at a URL when somebody asks for their opinion because they are refusing to be controlled.
Sure

United States

#100800 Apr 24, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You have it backwards, you have not allowed us, we have allowed you and the christian cult is pushing so we are making a stand. Stay away from our children, period.
If you do not want your children to have the opportunity unfortunately that's your business. For the ones that would like thier children to be taught then that's our business.
Sure

United States

#100801 Apr 24, 2013
Our creator has nothing to prove. He will not make you serve him. It is a choice. You can believe on him or you can deny him. The decision is yours. He is a god full of mercy, love, peace and forgiveness. There is No greater god. He's not a god that encourages hate and violence and hurt. Why would you not want to serve him? He will change your life for the good.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100802 Apr 24, 2013
_Ummm_ wrote:
Wow what? Do you really think you as so astute as to have a better realization of what I'm saying or doing than I do? Go ahead and tell me how this is hypocrisy. Show me where I call people stupid when they aren't saying stupid things.
You need to figure out what that word means. It doesn't mean "that person is doing something I don't like". My actions are consistent with my standards, so this is NOT hypocrisy.
do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
Nevermind, I know I will never get through to you on that one, so continue to talk down to others and not call it degradation. We will all continue to read it and shake our heads. After all, everyone should come to accept your reality that everyone else on here is indeed inferior to you based on your own scale of intelligence that you measure everyone on."

If one will never get through to me on any topic, it's because what they're saying is bullsh!t. I am open to anything and everything that makes sense.

I don't measure based on some crazy metric. I look at the same things that any reasonable person would. And I don't make blanket statements about "everyone else here". Sure, I might make a declaration about some smaller group, but do you really think I'm wrong? Do you really doubt that I'm intellectually superior to anyone I felt like going out of my way to explain it to?

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
Sorry you can't control me by making me click your links. If you really want to know my opinion, just ask in your own words."

Can't control you?? That's just nutty. Seriously. Normal people don't refuse to go read something at a URL when somebody asks for their opinion because they are refusing to be controlled.
No dude. What everyone has tried telling you, it isn't welcomed and it isn't necessary. When you see someone in public that is off the charts ugly, I mean "gotta tie a steak around their neck to get the dogs to play with them ugly", you still shouldn't walk up to them and say "dang you are ugly!!!" If you did, it would certainly be lowering them and raising you, and it certainly does not help that person in the least.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#100803 Apr 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No dude. What everyone has tried telling you, it isn't welcomed and it isn't necessary. When you see someone in public that is off the charts ugly, I mean "gotta tie a steak around their neck to get the dogs to play with them ugly", you still shouldn't walk up to them and say "dang you are ugly!!!" If you did, it would certainly be lowering them and raising you, and it certainly does not help that person in the least.
Then use the right word. Call me rude. I don't care. I am very rude on here at times. That's not the same thing as degrading.

Regardless, your example is poor, as I don't use negative terms to describe things people can't help. If I'm insulting people who are actually incapable of bettering themselves, it is not intended.

BUT ANYWAY... now that we've gone down the "you're so mean" road for the 50th time, feel free to actually discuss the topic at hand.
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100804 Apr 24, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't you read the Bible?
I read a lot, of all different types of material.

Always have liked to read.
TruthIs

Hazard, KY

#100805 Apr 24, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a point to make or just being silly?
Just asking a question...
GWB

Roseville, CA

#100806 Apr 24, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Just asking a question...
Ecclesiastes 3:12

I know that there is nothing better for people than to be happy and to do good while they live.
Known Fact

Kissimmee, FL

#100807 Apr 24, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
I read a lot, of all different types of material.
Always have liked to read.
If you want some really good reading material that contains the TRUTH go to www.jw.org

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
praying it's all a lie 50 min Mr who 1
How many kindergarten teachers at Lay? 1 hr suz 19
Angie Bays (Sep '10) 2 hr rowlow 32
Night life in Barbourville 3 hr Darren 4
Mike Smith For Sheriff (Feb '14) 3 hr Darren 224
food stamp office 4 hr Client 13
Heard Nick Mandel almost died 4 hr Friend 4
dinky phipps 5 hr friend 15
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:36 am PST

NBC Sports10:36AM
Dalton sick as Bengals get ready for Pittsburgh - NBC Sports
NFL10:45 AM
One Preview: Steelers could ride 'Triplets' to division title
NFL11:45 AM
Injury roundup: A.J. Green misses Bengals practice
NBC Sports12:17 PM
Jurrell Casey won't go to Pro Bowl as an alternate
Bleacher Report 2:15 AM
Should New England Patriots Rest Key Starters in Week 17?