Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
95,921 - 95,940 of 128,702 Comments Last updated 51 min ago
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

More evidence that the teachings contained in Scriptures are TRUE and Accurate.

Job 5:13 God traps the wise in their own cleverness so their cunning schemes are thwarted....

Unbelievers,cunningly,in their wisdom, claim,that,the teachings of Christ are false. We know that Christ taught by using parables and Christ clearly explained his reasons for doing so;

10 And the disciples came and said to Him,“Why do You speak to them in parables?” 11 He answered and said to them,“Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Lord Therefore I speak to them in parables,because seeing,they do not see and hearing, they do not hear,nor do they understand,and in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled,which says

‘Hearing you will hear and shall not understand,
And seeing you will see and not perceive;
15 For the hearts of this people have grown dull.
Their ears are hard of hearing,
And their eyes they have closed,
Lest they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears,
Lest they should understand with their hearts and turn,
So that I should heal them

So,unbelievers, unable to discern the true meaning contained in a parable,specifically,the meaning contained in the following parable;

""Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and attack you"

dismiss it,as being nonsense,due to their inability"to discern the true hidden meaning ,contained therein.

Thereby confirming what Jesus taught.

On the other hand,if they were able to discern it's meaning,would they attribute that to their wisdom,or that The Lord's teachings are accurate?

In effect,they are in an untenable position in order to defend their beliefs..

Therefore,they scoff at or , attack those who believe,as is pointed out in the parable.

Thereby confirming that which is written in 1 Corinthians 3;19.20
Fine

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

curious wrote:
Job 5:13 God traps the wise in their own cleverness so their cunning schemes are thwarted....
Unbelievers,cunningly,in their wisdom, claim,that,the teachings of Christ are false. We know that Christ taught by using parables and Christ clearly explained his reasons for doing so;
10 And the disciples came and said to Him,“Why do You speak to them in parables?” 11 He answered and said to them,“Because it has been given to you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it has not been given. 12 For whoever has, to him more will be given, and he will have abundance; but whoever does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 13 Lord Therefore I speak to them in parables,because seeing,they do not see and hearing, they do not hear,nor do they understand,and in them the prophecy of Isaiah is fulfilled,which says
So,unbelievers, unable to discern the true meaning contained in a parable,specifically,the meaning contained in the following parable;
""Do not give what is holy to dogs, and do not throw your pearls before swine, or they will trample them under their feet, and turn and attack you"
dismiss it,as being nonsense,due to their inability"to discern the true hidden meaning ,contained therein.
On the other hand,if they were able to discern it's meaning,would they attribute that to their wisdom,or that The Lord's teachings are accurate?
Therefore,they scoff at or , attack those who believe,as is pointed out in the parable.
That is wonderful is one believes the Bible is real. I feel it is another lovely fairy tale.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
Unbelievers,cunningly,in their wisdom, claim,that,the teachings of Christ are false.
Au contraire. I, personally, happen to like (most) of the teachings of Christ. I just don't think he actually existed. Nor do I care much for the behavior of his followers (you're a pretty good example, although there are far worse).
curious wrote:
How so?
curious wrote:
I don't scoff at all who believe. I scoff at those who believe and try to "prove" their belief by logic and reason.
Basically, I scoff at you.
TruthIs

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Then you must not believe in the Christian God.
Luke 14:26
"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple.
Guess not-not into all that "hatin'" crap.
TruthIs

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Au contraire. I, personally, happen to like (most) of the teachings of Christ. I just don't think he actually existed. Nor do I care much for the behavior of his followers (you're a pretty good example, although there are far worse).
<quoted text>
How so?
<quoted text>
I don't scoff at all who believe. I scoff at those who believe and try to "prove" their belief by logic and reason.
You need some scoff medicine?
(anduh GROAN..oh mah goodness.)
:-)
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

curious wrote:
You must hate yourself.

curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
How so?
<quoted text>
I am going to take you off Ignore,and respond,without intending to be sarcastic.
You made a comment
"Au contraire. I, personally, happen to like (most) of the teachings of Christ. I just don't think he actually existed"
Does that mean that you believe his teachings are valid?Or that his teachings sound good and should be adhered to?
Is it not contradictory to say that, "you like his teachings
but,do not think he existed?If you like his teachings,but do not think he existed,then why are you attributing those teachings to him.
I am not being sarcastic,but,I am puzzled by your response.
You also stated that"I don't scoff at all who believe. I scoff at those who believe and try to "prove" their belief by logic and reason"
You are attributing to me,something that is inaccurate,as I have never tried to prove the reasons for my beliefs,by logic and reason.
The reason for my beliefs is based on my personal experiences in having tested that which is taught in Scripture ,specifically,
When God Says, If you diligently seek me,You will find me.
I have stated this on several occasions,as I have also stated that,I do not believe that one comes to a knowledge of God through reasoning or logic.
I am not special,God offers that opportunity to everyone,not just me.
I have been mocked for stating the reasons for my faith and I am not playing the victim,I suspected this would happen.

Then,you asked me" How so? In reference to what I had written
(curious wrote: Therefore,they scoff at or , attack those who believe,as is pointed out in the parable..)

Now ,you kmow the parable to which I was reffering,
I would like to know,what you may understand that parable to mean?And if you don't know,simply say so.

Once you respond,then,I will tell you my interpretation of what it means,with,which,you may or may not agree.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
You must hate yourself.
Iam going to take you off '"IGNORE" long enough to demonstrate how illequipped and misinformed you are about Scriptures. I see that you also posted Truthis on this same issue.
Now you are gloating But,remember,A fool is wise in his own eyes.

"If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters--yes, even their own life--such a person cannot be my disciple."

When Jesus made that statement,as he was teaching his disciples,he was teaching in Parables.That was his custom.
A parable by definition is "A short fictitious story,which illustrates a moral lesson. By it's own defition,it CAN NOT Be interpretd literally,which is what you are doing.
And I know of only 2 reasons ,as to why one would do that.
1)They are completely misinformed ,or
2)They are intentionally being cunning and deceitful in orser to justify their beliefs.
You,and others like you,will not be able to accept that.
As stated previously" A fool is wise,inhis own eyes
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

I Don't Know About You

I don't know about you, but I never heard much preached on Lucifer, or in a way that was easy to understand anyway. He was just always this spooky figure in the shadows that Christ protected us from, but it was never really explained "how" to me, or I didn't get it, if it was. It always seemed to be one of those questions you just didn't ask in church. But Jesus said to be Wise as serpents in Matthew 10:16, in other words know your enemy, because he walks about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour which it says in 1 Peter 5:8. It was very curious to me when I found out that in Satanism, one of their main statements was "Satan has been the best friend the church has ever had as he has kept it in business all these years" and then in the Bible if you read Acts 17:24 you find that it says that God does NOT dwell in Temples made with hands. Romans 16:17,18 are very good verses to put with that also and 2 Corinthians 11:13-15 as well. And then top it off with 2 Thessalonians 2:3,7-12. After that you really begin to see where Satan truly dwells, and God's word told us all along, the very place we first go to find God. This is why Jesus said to Destroy the Temple in John 2:19, but the Religious leaders of the time refused to. The Tares are being bound into Bundles (Denominations and Different Religions and Nationalities), to be burned, and the wheat are being gathered to the barn just as it says in Matthew 13:24-30,38,39-43. The Harvest is the End of the World, it's happening as we speak, just as it says in Matthew 13:39 and 1 John 2:18 and Matthew 7:20-23; and Matthew 24:4-8,22; 2 Peter 3:9; He that hath ears to hear let him hear.

Matthew 10:16: Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves.

1 Peter 5:8: Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:

Acts 17:24: God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth NOT in temples made with hands;

Romans 16:17,18: Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them. For they that are such serve not our Lord Jesus Christ, but their own belly; and by good words and fair speeches deceive the hearts of the simple.

2 Corinthians 11:13-15 For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.

2 Thessalonians 2:3,7-12: Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming: Even him, whose coming is after the working of Satan with all power and signs and lying wonders, And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie: That they all might be damned who believed not the truth, but had pleasure in unrighteousness.
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

Continued:

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

John 3:19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

Matthew 13:24-30,37-43: The kingdom of heaven is likened unto a man which sowed good seed in his field: But while men slept, his enemy came and sowed tares among the wheat, and went his way. But when the blade was sprung up, and brought forth fruit, then appeared the tares also. So the servants of the householder came and said unto him, Sir, didst not thou sow good seed in thy field? from whence then hath it tares? He said unto them, An enemy hath done this. The servants said unto him, Wilt thou then that we go and gather them up? But he said, Nay; lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them. Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn. He answered and said unto them, He that soweth the good seed is the Son of man; The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one; The enemy that sowed them is the devil; the harvest is the end of the world; and the reapers are the angels. As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth. Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father. Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

1 John 2:18: Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

Matthew 7:20-23: Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them. Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven. Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Matthew 24:4-8, 22: Take heed that no man deceive you. For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many. And ye shall hear of wars and rumours of wars: see that ye be not troubled: for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation shall rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom: and there shall be famines, and pestilences, and earthquakes, in divers places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Please Pass this message on to someone else, either by word of mouth, or by copying. May God Bless You.
The Wondering Atheist

Hazard, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

There is no god nor gods until they prove themself to be just that, a god. The burden of proof are on these gods and I have yet to see one.
JJG

Glasgow, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

What is really funny is that most Christians will end up in hell, according to the Bible on 12,000 will enter the kingdom of heaven.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

JJG wrote:
What is really funny is that most Christians will end up in hell, according to the Bible on 12,000 will enter the kingdom of heaven.
revelations says 144,000 go to heaven....12k from each of the 12 original tribes of israel

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No no. They didn't all condemn it, they just didn't worry about it. It wasn't an issue for over a hundred years because there were a scarce few blacks anywhere near Utah. Even today a black person will tell you they feel like a fly in a bowl of milk. Once more blacks started to join the church, it became a matter of concern, so the prophet asked God, and received the revelation that all worthy males could receive the priesthood.
It's a red flag today because our society is different. Just like marrying a 14 year old is no longer acceptable, though it happened for thousands of years before.
Are you joking? I was in the church when the rule changed. I lived in Florida. Utah is not the only place Mormons were then or now. Evidently someone is feeding you a bunch of lies or else it is you who is willfully lying.
Their was controversy long before your superior prophets took a second to ask god. They did not worry about it because even our government was not to worried about it. Seems your perfect prophets just barely kept up with the times of government. Far from superior.
Sorry took so long to respond, had some computer problems.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>According to you!
None do good... for no reason!
Note the part where I said "you have the extreme position"?

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Of course you have the biased extreme position that atheist never do good just because they like to do good. Of course this is an insane and false position to take, just as it was a false claim the bible took. You are both wrong.]
But thanks for proving my main point. The passage just breeds hate.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
It is good that the LDS changed their tune about racism. I like that, and I applaud it. Bravo.
But I have a problem with the whole affair.
Your founder was not quite as racist as everyone else. I think, honestly, he was probably a very interesting guy. Probably nice, probably fascinating to hang around. I think he was a total fraud, of course, and I think he was a huckster. But I like those characters, honestly.
Then we get Brigham Young. For many decades.
"It was Smith’s successor, Brigham Young, who adopted the policies that now haunt the church. He described black people as cursed with dark skin as punishment for Cain’s murder of his brother.“Any man having one drop of the seed of Cane in him cannot hold the priesthood,” he declared in 1852. Young deemed black-white intermarriage so sinful that he suggested that a man could atone for it only by having “his head cut off” and spilling “his blood upon the ground.” Other Mormon leaders convinced themselves that the pre-existent spirits of black people had sinned in heaven by supporting Lucifer in his rebellion against God. "
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/19/opinion/sun...
And let's not forget who composed the little ditty that gave Young a divine mandate to be a raging asshole:
2 Nephi 5:21
"And he had caused the cursing to come upon them, yea, even a sore cursing, because of their iniquity. For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, and they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them"
Personally I don't see how you can accept the BoM as being true, or divine, given that sort of ignorance. And that is just one little passage.
How can anyone believe a book that has this passage in it?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that Brigham seemed arrogant in his own bad opinions. But again, I don't see that those opinions were inspired. They were never put into the Doctrine and Covenants as scripture for a reason.
So again this begs the question that you avoid, what is the point of a prophet if he can be so wrong?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I already have. And I already commented on it. They were slow to realize that they should ask God what they should do. Once the prophet did, he received the revelation that allowed blacks to hold the priesthood. And the proclamation did not say, NOW blacks may hold the priesthood. It reads to me like it should have always been that way. My opinion is that Brigham messed up, but no one questioned him.
No one questioning his is the point. If you have someone held up on a pedestal called a prophet of god, followers tend not to question the relayed word of the supposed god.
This is one reason all holy books are faulty also.
Their were civil rights battles raging in the decades before your church got with the program, so acting as if it were not a valid question in those days is laughable.
The controversy lead me to leave the church and I think eventually lead me to realize god is a myth altogether.
Maybe people in your church need to question a bit more.
Guardian Angel

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

The wondering atheist,Do you breath air?Where do you suppose it comes from?See, your wrong when you think that Christians have to prove that god exist.You have to prove that he don't.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 21, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Feel free to review the previous posts regarding this conversation. I've already put it in context the best I can with the way the majority of the country mistakenly felt about blacks.
So your church, god or prophet can only keep up with the moral progress of America? First off, civil rights bills were enacted for black people over a decade before your prophet asked his supposed god. What took so long? Your church is lagging behind the times pal.Religion seems to always lag behind.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

69 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 12 min sure 146,339
Stivers Center fixes 58 min Truth 53
Ronald Stevenson 2 hr stephanie 18
How do I get up with Jessi 2 hr stephanie 7
Beckoning Frontiers 2 hr Jack 1
SEC Network 3 hr Hopeful 5
New "Dollar Daze" Store in Barbourville 3 hr ok yeah 36
•••
•••