Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
95,601 - 95,620 of 128,664 Comments Last updated 58 min ago

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I already have. And I already commented on it. They were slow to realize that they should ask God what they should do. Once the prophet did, he received the revelation that allowed blacks to hold the priesthood. And the proclamation did not say, NOW blacks may hold the priesthood. It reads to me like it should have always been that way. My opinion is that Brigham messed up, but no one questioned him.
But Brigham Young WAS a prophet. He got his marching orders from God, if your faith is to be believed. Why is it that his revelations were flawed but others were ok? If anything, that should tell you that God is not involved.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
I strongly disagree, in that I think MANY great scientists have often been people of "faith" in something greater than just themselves, because when rationalized honestly, it is only logical.
Why would they even have ever bothered with science, if they were not?
(and yes, it is a direct quote from a letter to a friend.
I have trouble being able to apply any logic to that "gawd did it" simpleton line of ignorance, mostly because I just don't believe ANYthing in this world is just THAT damn simple, and really, it just makes no rational sense.
I think Einstiend quote is a great quote, and represents amazing things.
On a personal note, I learned of it from someone who would've probably been considered as one very weak in faith, maybe even somewhat cynical about it as well, but a well studied studied man of science actually. He wrote of it one evening when considering his loved ones, while sick, and in need of surgery.
Anyway, tt is a quote I will ALWAYS remember, fondly, and respectfully, for very good reason here.
Perhaps YOU have a favorite quote of your own?
Well, I'm not saying you can't be religious and scientific. I'm saying you can't do science with religion. When I say they are antithetical it is because one of them seeks answers and follows evidence while the other has answers and rejects evidence. That is just the way it is.

You cannot do science by religion. It does not work.

But sure, you can be religious and still do science.

I don't think scientists are heading back to religion at much of a pace. In fact, statistically, the more educated you are in science the more likely you are to be non-religious. Most of the 85% of Christians in this country are much farther down the educational ladder.

And that should tell you something important.

I have a lot of favorite quotes. There was one I read in a Carl Sagan book but I can't remember who said it. It was something like "I shall not again look up on a monkey without mortifying reflections". It had to do with a man who looked at an ape or monkey and, thinking of evolution, had a moment of truly understanding what it meant. That's a good one.

Also, "This is my boom stick." - Ash

lol

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you said that being gay was a reason for shunning? Is it one of those things where they can be gay but they can never act upon it? Like they have to stay single and never have any gay sex or gay thoughts?
The JWs have a strict no gay policy.
No, its one of those things where Mormons are pretty smart. They recognize that surival means blending in. They are quite normal people, actually. Quite typical, good, modern folks. Never met a bad one, really.

But it is a sign that the foundation of their church is very weak. They have to make all these embarrassing adjustments over time to weed out the bad stuff like bigotry. I suspect that in fifty years you won't hear them speak much about Joseph Smith or magic stones or any of that nonsense as they try to merge with mainstream Christianity.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>What is unclean about my post?
And I am not going to be censored. I expressed my utmost contempt for a troll. The poster does not deserve any respect.
I do not find words to be unclean.
Uh, you know the rest of the world does, including Topix which is why you added the space in the middle. Younger people end up on here too.
I hope you are smarter than this and can choose more intelligent language.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, your logic and knowledge are far more limited than your anger. Depending on the size and type of fish, it is likely that it will drown in a bucket of water. Certain fishes such as goldfish and labyrinth fishes can take oxygen from air, but most other fish will suffocate in a bucket of water unless it is aerated.
Your story about another poster is obviously fabricated. It seems that being clueless about live wells and the 9th commandment can be added to the list.
HAHAHA,Your simple mind has yet to realize that I am playing games with it,as I was with Spektakals simple mind also.
Obviously,your mind has not yet evolved to the stage where it can fully comprehend when someone is playing games with it,Must be fossilized.
by the way,What did Spektakals do when the police showed up and arrested him for firing a shotgun within the city limits.
That is a violation of the 2nd Amendment,
He will now be ostracized by the NRA

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>You make judgments all the time. You automatically take risk assessments of situations and people. While that may not equal your personal definition of being "judgmental", it is a reaction you cannot avoid. Accepting or denying that fact doesn't change the fact, so no - that practice doesn't make you an oddball. What makes one an oddball is realizing it and attempting to overcome the shortcoming.
At church I really don't. Elsewhere in my life I do. Choice of friends, coworkers, neighbors, etc yes. But honestly it doesn't cross my mind at church.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>But Brigham Young WAS a prophet. He got his marching orders from God, if your faith is to be believed. Why is it that his revelations were flawed but others were ok? If anything, that should tell you that God is not involved.
This wasn't a revelation. It was his opinion. It was his opinion before he was a prophet.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you said that being gay was a reason for shunning? Is it one of those things where they can be gay but they can never act upon it? Like they have to stay single and never have any gay sex or gay thoughts?

The JWs have a strict no gay policy.
Correct. Homosexuality is a sin when acted upon. If they do not engage in the act, it is not a sin.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>No, its one of those things where Mormons are pretty smart. They recognize that surival means blending in. They are quite normal people, actually. Quite typical, good, modern folks. Never met a bad one, really.

But it is a sign that the foundation of their church is very weak. They have to make all these embarrassing adjustments over time to weed out the bad stuff like bigotry. I suspect that in fifty years you won't hear them speak much about Joseph Smith or magic stones or any of that nonsense as they try to merge with mainstream Christianity.
We'll check back in fifty years.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
It WOULD be rather an antithesis for an "atheist" to do so, wouldn't it.
May a tree bless you, "tree-dammit" (the second one being a rather CRUDE supplement for a rather CRUDE usage!)
There are a couple interpretations of the third commandment.
Some rabbinical scholars hold that it refers to using God's name to specifically and ritually curse others.
Personally, I'm in the camp that it refers to not being a hypocrite - not taking an oath to God, claiming the Jewish or Christian faith and then acting counter to the constraints and ideals of those religions.
(hint, hint)
In that light, atheists do better at upholding the commandment than 99.999% of the devout.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHA,Your simple mind has yet to realize that I am playing games with it,as I was with Spektakals simple mind also.
Obviously,your mind has not yet evolved to the stage where it can fully comprehend when someone is playing games with it,Must be fossilized.
by the way,What did Spektakals do when the police showed up and arrested him for firing a shotgun within the city limits.
That is a violation of the 2nd Amendment,
He will now be ostracized by the NRA
And again, bearing false witness. A CINO troll... how original.
I read and post for entertainment, not for any enlightenment I might glean from a superstitious backwater snowbird transplant.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 17, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
And again, bearing false witness. A CINO troll... how original.
I read and post for entertainment, not for any enlightenment I might glean from a superstitious backwater snowbird transplant.
When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, The foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This wasn't a revelation. It was his opinion. It was his opinion before he was a prophet.
I realize this is the official LDS position, but from an outsider's point of view it looks exactly like you are dodging and dancing and doing rhetorical somersaults to get around a sticky issue. These are two more quotes from Young, a man who help the position of the most holy man on earth, if your religion is actually true. This is a man who could talk to God. Not figuratively, but literally.

"I say now, when they [his discourses] are copied and approved by me they are as good Scripture as is couched in this Bible ... " (Journal of Discourses, vol. 13, p. 264; see also p. 95).

“Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so.“(Journal of Discourses, Vol. 10, p. 110)

Does this mean that God was a racist, or does it mean that the LDS is a church ran by mere humans without any Godly influence at all? Can you point to a single church doctrine that could only have come about through divine revelation?

I ask this question often: where is the part in the Bible that tells us something important that we could not possibly have known otherwise? For example, where is the passage warning us to wash our hands due to germs? It isn't there.

And where is the wisdom of Brigham Young or any other prophet teaching us something that only God could possibly have inspired?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
...If you are Yiago, and are answering the question on a favorite quote- why don't YOU start with learning some truth, and apply some logic, and post under the same name, if you're going to answer a question?
I assure you I only make posts under this login. However, I do not disagree with the other poster's assessment of faith. This is why I said faith and science are mutually exclusive. You can have faith and be a scientist, but you cannot use faith doing science. It would be like assuming all defendants are guilty and then cherry picking bits of evidence that support the conclusion. Faith gets it backwards.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, Mormons were always welcomed in my house. They even knew that there was no changing my views but they also knew me as a watering hole, they would sometimes stop by just to eat or ask me to throw their bikes in the back of the truck because it was raining.
Sorry man but I disagree with the weak foundation. They pull in around 7 billion a year in tithes alone. They have a nice root system. I think they accept the gays as long as they don't act gay. I think that if someone is willing to not act gay to please their God then they were born that way, it's not just some sexual perversion.
I agree on the fifty years prophecy tho, I think a lot of the denominations will join forces and put aside their disagreements over bible verses and try to unite the churches. Once the number of church goers start dropping they will have to do something different. It's going to be a good show to watch. I think the Catholics are going to be the first to drop, they've hurt to many children, then I see a domino effect.
Sorry, I'm rambling.
I don't mean that they have a weak membership. I mean their theology is weak. Considering the fact that we have a detailed and recent history of how their holy book was written we can poke so many holes in it the thing looks like a sieve. They have a metric ton of baggage to deal with and over the years they have been shrugging it off bit-by-bit. They even changed the BoM to ease the racist ideology it contains. They changed the word "white" to "fair" in the infamous "white and delightsome" passage.

They do this stuff without missing a beat so that now if you ask a typical Mormon they won't even be able to tell you much about it. They won't even know some of that history because it isn't discussed openly.

There is a guy who does a cool podcast called Irreligiosophy. Very profane and fun little show and he is an excellent scholar on the topic. Anyway, he grew up Mormon and it wasn't until he actually looked into the Book of Abraham that he realized the whole thing was one big joke.

Most Mormons probably have never seen or read that book, I would guess. I could be wrong. But I bet money they don't know it's history beyond what their leaders told them. Yet if you know the actual story of that book you cannot possibly think that Joseph Smith was anything other than an excellent con man.

You know, I bet a lot of the young men who go door to door are like young JWs. They are just going through the motions. There is another podcast I heard with two brothers who used to do that. They were LDS. They said they never really believed any of it, but they would go door to door because they were dependent on their parents. One of them was already an atheist and was still going door to door to spread Mormonism. But I don't think he was a very convincing salesman, lol.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, I figured that. That's a lot to ask for a person to give up on their sexual desires. I'm straight and had the testosterone of a bull elephant. If it was turned around and I had to sleep with a gay guy because my church required it then I couldn't do it.
Some people are just wired different and they don't like the same things we like. Those people are people too. I can't understand a loving God that is so petty. If I was God I wouldn't care who loved who. I'd want my people to find happiness without hurting anyone to get it.
To ask someone to renounce their inner desires is just to much control for me.
Yeah. So God creates gays then dares them to act in accordance with how he made them.

Petty doesn't begin to cover it. If that God was real, it would be a monster. Make some gays, punish them for acting gay. Make some babies, watch some of them die from disease. Watch some of them die from trauma. Watch some of them get raped.

Take nap, do again. Running the universe is so tiring!
TruthIS

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Fu ck your faith
No one's forcing you to have any, so just exactly what is YOUR problem?(other than acting like a foul mouthed dirtbag)
TruthIS

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Some people are so stupid they have to be told when to speak, eat, go to the bathroom,etc
How about you study your own faults...and the MANY LOGS of ignorance that lay with in yourself.
I'll post to whatever length I chose to.
And I find YOUR MERE opinion-to be NOTHING-but yet more abhorrence.
Don't like MY opinion and perspective on things- DON'T READ it.
Some things are -just THAT simple.
Do you follow people around and judge their posts out the same spite and JUDGEMENTALness as what you are projecting in your post?
And apparently they need to copy other peoples posts too.
Wrong again Sparky

Mount Sterling, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
So when the christians ignore their own bible they say that they are not under the old testament they are under grace yet use the old testament to condemn others? That shows their true nature.
Hey fuc king hypocrite christians, gay people are not perfect they are just forgiven so yea fu ck you!
Romans
1:21 Because that when they knew God, they glorified [him] not
as God, neither were thankful, but became vain in their
imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
1:22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools:
1:23 And changed the glory of the incorruptible God into an
image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and
four-footed beasts, and creeping animals.
1:24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness, through the
lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between
themselves:
1:25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshiped and
served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for
ever. Amen.
1:26 For this cause God gave them up to vile affections. For
even their women did change the natural use into that which is
against nature:
1:27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the
woman, burned in their lust one towards another; men with men
working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves
that recompense of their error which was meet.
1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in [their]
knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those
things which are not convenient;
1:29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication,
wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder,
debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
1:30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters,
inventers of evil things, disobedient to parents,
1:31 Without understanding, covenant-breakers, without natural
affection, implacable, unmerciful:
1:32 Who, knowing the judgment of God, that they who commit such
things are worthy of death; not only do the same, but have
pleasure in them that do them.
TruthIS

London, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Faith? That just means that you blindly follow. No reason or logic because those require thought and thought and faith do not work.
Hey, if you do not like what people post than do not read them, it is that simple
Try a dictionary for literal definition.
Then try growing up and realizing, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, freedom to read, and freedom of religion. This is America, NOT lalaland of commieTICs.
What people are NOT entitled to, are ANY sort of right to hurt others, in any way, shape or form.
After that, you might want to try looking up ignorance in the dictionary, because your posts are now showing to be full it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

24 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
James Gambrel 36 min ewww 3
hailey roberts 51 min yepp yepp 4
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr Limbertwig 146,291
Stivers Center fixes 3 hr get real 51
Any couples into SCAT??? 4 hr lady ella 12
disability lawyer 4 hr been there 17
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 5 hr Ashby 26,189
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••