Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 133,371

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#100074 Apr 17, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Fu ck your faith
Geez dude. Keep it clean. Will ya?

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#100075 Apr 17, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Geez dude. Keep it clean. Will ya?
What is unclean about my post?
And I am not going to be censored. I expressed my utmost contempt for a troll. The poster does not deserve any respect.
I do not find words to be unclean.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#100076 Apr 17, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHA
I asked him a question"Like trying to kill a fish by drowning it in an empty water bucket."
"I am sure that makes sense to you.."
And it should have,I provided him with all the necessary information needed to drown a fish.
Any one with half a brain would understand that,if you keep a fish out of water long enough,it would suffocate.It is not rocket Science. You ever hear of "flopping around like a fish out the water.
Now,you can drown a human by submerging him in water for a certain period of time.If you keep him submerged long enough,he will drown,,,,Common sense
Obviously,Skeptikal Spektakal did not catch on to what was very obvious.
In order to prove me wrong,he filled the bucket and held the fish underwater for well over an hour..The fish did not drown and in a fit of anger he got a double barreled shotgun and shot in then head...LOL
Again, your logic and knowledge are far more limited than your anger. Depending on the size and type of fish, it is likely that it will drown in a bucket of water. Certain fishes such as goldfish and labyrinth fishes can take oxygen from air, but most other fish will suffocate in a bucket of water unless it is aerated.
Your story about another poster is obviously fabricated. It seems that being clueless about live wells and the 9th commandment can be added to the list.

“pervinco per logica”

Since: Feb 12

Eradicate willful ignorance.

#100077 Apr 17, 2013
TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
And just so you HAVE to look at your OWN flawed irrationality and ILLogic-
LOGIC: A person would have logical FAITH in something that is proven to be WORTHY of it...such as surgical abilities.
ILLOGICAL: To blindly follow some lame lemming herd pack of HATRED, that knows NOTHING of what they speak of...with NO ability other than to insylt others WITH ability.
LOL.
Yeah, that's how it works.
If you don't like the definition of the words being used, make up new ones.
But I do find it quite hilarious that you probably don't think your "illogical" definition applies to you.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#100078 Apr 17, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then maybe I'm an oddball. I don't take the effort to judge because I don't care enough about that. It doesn't matter. I have my own issues and faults to deal with without trying to rank myself against anyone.
You make judgments all the time. You automatically take risk assessments of situations and people. While that may not equal your personal definition of being "judgmental", it is a reaction you cannot avoid. Accepting or denying that fact doesn't change the fact, so no - that practice doesn't make you an oddball. What makes one an oddball is realizing it and attempting to overcome the shortcoming.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100079 Apr 17, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Your advice has not been requested and is rejected on the basis that the source in question, is not reliable,having been found of basing his opinions on inaccurate,misleading and intentionally misinterpreted information.
I see that you CUT N PASTED my response to GWB and are now trying to pass it off as your owm...
Which serves to confirm that old axiom
The fool,devoid of wisdom,will attempt to deny his foolishness by repeating the wise sayings of others as if they were his own

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#100080 Apr 17, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I already have. And I already commented on it. They were slow to realize that they should ask God what they should do. Once the prophet did, he received the revelation that allowed blacks to hold the priesthood. And the proclamation did not say, NOW blacks may hold the priesthood. It reads to me like it should have always been that way. My opinion is that Brigham messed up, but no one questioned him.
But Brigham Young WAS a prophet. He got his marching orders from God, if your faith is to be believed. Why is it that his revelations were flawed but others were ok? If anything, that should tell you that God is not involved.

Location hidden

#100082 Apr 17, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
I strongly disagree, in that I think MANY great scientists have often been people of "faith" in something greater than just themselves, because when rationalized honestly, it is only logical.
Why would they even have ever bothered with science, if they were not?
(and yes, it is a direct quote from a letter to a friend.
I have trouble being able to apply any logic to that "gawd did it" simpleton line of ignorance, mostly because I just don't believe ANYthing in this world is just THAT damn simple, and really, it just makes no rational sense.
I think Einstiend quote is a great quote, and represents amazing things.
On a personal note, I learned of it from someone who would've probably been considered as one very weak in faith, maybe even somewhat cynical about it as well, but a well studied studied man of science actually. He wrote of it one evening when considering his loved ones, while sick, and in need of surgery.
Anyway, tt is a quote I will ALWAYS remember, fondly, and respectfully, for very good reason here.
Perhaps YOU have a favorite quote of your own?
Well, I'm not saying you can't be religious and scientific. I'm saying you can't do science with religion. When I say they are antithetical it is because one of them seeks answers and follows evidence while the other has answers and rejects evidence. That is just the way it is.

You cannot do science by religion. It does not work.

But sure, you can be religious and still do science.

I don't think scientists are heading back to religion at much of a pace. In fact, statistically, the more educated you are in science the more likely you are to be non-religious. Most of the 85% of Christians in this country are much farther down the educational ladder.

And that should tell you something important.

I have a lot of favorite quotes. There was one I read in a Carl Sagan book but I can't remember who said it. It was something like "I shall not again look up on a monkey without mortifying reflections". It had to do with a man who looked at an ape or monkey and, thinking of evolution, had a moment of truly understanding what it meant. That's a good one.

Also, "This is my boom stick." - Ash

lol

Location hidden

#100083 Apr 17, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought you said that being gay was a reason for shunning? Is it one of those things where they can be gay but they can never act upon it? Like they have to stay single and never have any gay sex or gay thoughts?
The JWs have a strict no gay policy.
No, its one of those things where Mormons are pretty smart. They recognize that surival means blending in. They are quite normal people, actually. Quite typical, good, modern folks. Never met a bad one, really.

But it is a sign that the foundation of their church is very weak. They have to make all these embarrassing adjustments over time to weed out the bad stuff like bigotry. I suspect that in fifty years you won't hear them speak much about Joseph Smith or magic stones or any of that nonsense as they try to merge with mainstream Christianity.

Location hidden

#100084 Apr 17, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>What is unclean about my post?
And I am not going to be censored. I expressed my utmost contempt for a troll. The poster does not deserve any respect.
I do not find words to be unclean.
Uh, you know the rest of the world does, including Topix which is why you added the space in the middle. Younger people end up on here too.
I hope you are smarter than this and can choose more intelligent language.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100085 Apr 17, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, your logic and knowledge are far more limited than your anger. Depending on the size and type of fish, it is likely that it will drown in a bucket of water. Certain fishes such as goldfish and labyrinth fishes can take oxygen from air, but most other fish will suffocate in a bucket of water unless it is aerated.
Your story about another poster is obviously fabricated. It seems that being clueless about live wells and the 9th commandment can be added to the list.
HAHAHA,Your simple mind has yet to realize that I am playing games with it,as I was with Spektakals simple mind also.
Obviously,your mind has not yet evolved to the stage where it can fully comprehend when someone is playing games with it,Must be fossilized.
by the way,What did Spektakals do when the police showed up and arrested him for firing a shotgun within the city limits.
That is a violation of the 2nd Amendment,
He will now be ostracized by the NRA

Location hidden

#100086 Apr 17, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>You make judgments all the time. You automatically take risk assessments of situations and people. While that may not equal your personal definition of being "judgmental", it is a reaction you cannot avoid. Accepting or denying that fact doesn't change the fact, so no - that practice doesn't make you an oddball. What makes one an oddball is realizing it and attempting to overcome the shortcoming.
At church I really don't. Elsewhere in my life I do. Choice of friends, coworkers, neighbors, etc yes. But honestly it doesn't cross my mind at church.

Location hidden

#100087 Apr 17, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>But Brigham Young WAS a prophet. He got his marching orders from God, if your faith is to be believed. Why is it that his revelations were flawed but others were ok? If anything, that should tell you that God is not involved.
This wasn't a revelation. It was his opinion. It was his opinion before he was a prophet.

Location hidden

#100088 Apr 17, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>I thought you said that being gay was a reason for shunning? Is it one of those things where they can be gay but they can never act upon it? Like they have to stay single and never have any gay sex or gay thoughts?

The JWs have a strict no gay policy.
Correct. Homosexuality is a sin when acted upon. If they do not engage in the act, it is not a sin.

Location hidden

#100089 Apr 17, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>No, its one of those things where Mormons are pretty smart. They recognize that surival means blending in. They are quite normal people, actually. Quite typical, good, modern folks. Never met a bad one, really.

But it is a sign that the foundation of their church is very weak. They have to make all these embarrassing adjustments over time to weed out the bad stuff like bigotry. I suspect that in fifty years you won't hear them speak much about Joseph Smith or magic stones or any of that nonsense as they try to merge with mainstream Christianity.
We'll check back in fifty years.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#100090 Apr 17, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
It WOULD be rather an antithesis for an "atheist" to do so, wouldn't it.
May a tree bless you, "tree-dammit" (the second one being a rather CRUDE supplement for a rather CRUDE usage!)
There are a couple interpretations of the third commandment.
Some rabbinical scholars hold that it refers to using God's name to specifically and ritually curse others.
Personally, I'm in the camp that it refers to not being a hypocrite - not taking an oath to God, claiming the Jewish or Christian faith and then acting counter to the constraints and ideals of those religions.
(hint, hint)
In that light, atheists do better at upholding the commandment than 99.999% of the devout.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#100091 Apr 17, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
HAHAHA,Your simple mind has yet to realize that I am playing games with it,as I was with Spektakals simple mind also.
Obviously,your mind has not yet evolved to the stage where it can fully comprehend when someone is playing games with it,Must be fossilized.
by the way,What did Spektakals do when the police showed up and arrested him for firing a shotgun within the city limits.
That is a violation of the 2nd Amendment,
He will now be ostracized by the NRA
And again, bearing false witness. A CINO troll... how original.
I read and post for entertainment, not for any enlightenment I might glean from a superstitious backwater snowbird transplant.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#100092 Apr 17, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
And again, bearing false witness. A CINO troll... how original.
I read and post for entertainment, not for any enlightenment I might glean from a superstitious backwater snowbird transplant.
When a wise man has a controversy with a foolish man, The foolish man either rages or laughs, and there is no rest.

Location hidden

#100095 Apr 18, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This wasn't a revelation. It was his opinion. It was his opinion before he was a prophet.
I realize this is the official LDS position, but from an outsider's point of view it looks exactly like you are dodging and dancing and doing rhetorical somersaults to get around a sticky issue. These are two more quotes from Young, a man who help the position of the most holy man on earth, if your religion is actually true. This is a man who could talk to God. Not figuratively, but literally.

"I say now, when they [his discourses] are copied and approved by me they are as good Scripture as is couched in this Bible ... " (Journal of Discourses, vol. 13, p. 264; see also p. 95).

“Shall I tell you the law of God in regard to the African race? If the white man who belongs to the chosen seed mixes his blood with the seed of Cain, the penalty, under the law of God, is death on the spot. This will always be so.“(Journal of Discourses, Vol. 10, p. 110)

Does this mean that God was a racist, or does it mean that the LDS is a church ran by mere humans without any Godly influence at all? Can you point to a single church doctrine that could only have come about through divine revelation?

I ask this question often: where is the part in the Bible that tells us something important that we could not possibly have known otherwise? For example, where is the passage warning us to wash our hands due to germs? It isn't there.

And where is the wisdom of Brigham Young or any other prophet teaching us something that only God could possibly have inspired?

Location hidden

#100096 Apr 18, 2013
TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
...If you are Yiago, and are answering the question on a favorite quote- why don't YOU start with learning some truth, and apply some logic, and post under the same name, if you're going to answer a question?
I assure you I only make posts under this login. However, I do not disagree with the other poster's assessment of faith. This is why I said faith and science are mutually exclusive. You can have faith and be a scientist, but you cannot use faith doing science. It would be like assuming all defendants are guilty and then cherry picking bits of evidence that support the conclusion. Faith gets it backwards.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Keep our town DRY 10 min Tax dollars here 12
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 50 min 40ish 3,660
Romeo's Italian Resturant 53 min Soccer mom 2
Bills mom (dead beat granny) 1 hr Baker 1
To the Garland family 1 hr shaned 19
Terry Smith 1 hr hhhhhjjjjj 1
Where to sign WET petition ?"??? 2 hr Sign here please 1
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Thu marsh 55
dinky phipps Wed literally 29
Barbourville Dating