Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 167538 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#99764 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No you just aren't reading the story. He saw the condition of the ear in broad daylight. He had to move the ear back to its original position. His son saw all the blood and freaked out (he was 4). That's why he went to the dark closet right across from the stairs where the accident happened. Not only was it rational, but quick-thinking. His son couldn't see all the blood. His wife was calling 911. The dad's job at that point was to console the child til help arrived.
OK, let us say that the ear was almost torn off and your god did a miracle for this (middle class) family and healed the boy. Than your god must CHOOSE to ignore the prayers of innocent children living in a violent home who only pray that the beatings stop.
Than your god has messed up priorities or he hates the poor as much as republicans do and only loves the middle class and wealthy???
An honest question for you, how can you worship a god that can stop a child from being beaten but rather chooses to fix an ear?

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99765 Apr 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me try and answer that,based on what I have read in scriptures;
Those of us who live according to our human natture,define being good,based on man made standards.
Now,we know that our human nature is flawed,We steal,we lie,we are envious,we gossip,selfish,we hate,we are greedy, we commit murder ,just to name a few.
We know that those are not good or admirable traits.Yet,knowing that we are flawed,we call ourselves good.
Even worse,we judge those who posses those traits,as not being good persons,while we ourselves are guilty of commiting such acts,and calling ourselves good.
So,therefore,the foundation for our belief that we are good,is based on a contradictory or weak foundation,which can be referred to as abominable or detestable.
Thereby,our view,that we are good,is based on foolishness.We do not understand the meaning of Good.
In our foolishness and lack of understanding,we fail to seek God,in order to find the true meaning of what it means to be good
That is further clarified by Jesus in MATT 7;18 A Good Tree,can not bring forth BAD fruit,neither can a corrupt tree bring forth Good Fruit.
MATT 7;12 The Golden rule Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
Because of restrictions,I am unable to post the information contained in MATT 7;1 to 27,If you wish,read it.it gives a much better explanation,than the one I am providing you with.
That is what I understand,based on Scriptues,is what is meant in verses 1 to 4.
1 The fool[a] says in his heart,
There is no God.
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven
on all mankind
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.
4 Do all these evildoers know nothing
They devour my people as though eating bread;
they never call on the Lord
Again,you may not agree with my beliefs and I may not agree with yours,but,maybe we can get to understand each other better.
That,in itself,is a step in the right direction.
In the bible your god not only allowed slavery but encouraged the jews to own slaves. Is that good? Is slavery good morals?

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99766 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Sick dude. Sick
But true.
So christians are not perfect? Than they should stop trying to lord over every one and passing judgement.
If a homeless man went in to a church here he would be asked to leave, and if he did not leave the police would be called. How do I know this? Because it happened and then that evening some young men went in to his camp by the church and beat him to death. They got 7 years in prison for murdering the man.
wayne

Glasgow, KY

#99768 Apr 15, 2013
why not have a class that tells about all the differant religions and how they started and what each one is about and let each child decide for themself i think most would see that there is only one God and that most religions were started by men- NOT GOD-there are alot of real smart kids out there and most don't know where to go for answers and this might show them
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#99769 Apr 15, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I say that you have a right to your beliefs even though I do not believe as you do and you go off about some test?
I never agreed to alow you to test me, I am not going to look for your reasons to believe in your god and you sir are full of bull.
Do you always just make stuff up as you go? Do you have difficulty keeping a job?
You,not only have a problem with correctly interpreting what you read,but also have a problem stating the truth.
It was you,that said I had copyN pasted what I posted from a Christian website and was therefore unable to provide a response, which had been deleted,as I was able to prove.
When Ichallenged you to prove your untrue statement,proof which you could not provide,because your allegations were false,you conveniently avoided responding.
In essence,you did ask for a test. It was you who requested an answer,you got it,never challenged the series of events contained in my response,which you are entitled to do.
I Believed that you asked for a response,so you could challenge it in a logical manner.
Of course,you have the right not to challenge it,which is what you did.
To me,if someone has a different view than I do and I believe they are wrong,I will challenge them,What I will not do is,arbitrarily dismiss them... I will stand up for what I believe in and will not shy away from a challenge......Unless of course,I fear the outcome...
That being the case,,,,,This case is closed
Quote Be careful,your sins will find you out

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99770 Apr 15, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>How do you know it's not lies or taken from other pagan beliefs. See Jeremiah 8:8 again. Much evidence is given to refute doctrines and beliefs even today. Christmas copied from the pagan Saturnalia to celebrate Jesus birth. At least celebrate it on the date the LDS claim april 6. You have a well known bishop that claim the sun and moon are inhabited yet he is a bishop "Brigham Young." That's his opinion?

Why did Smith teach the moon was inhabited and why did Young teach the sun was inhabited?

http://mormoninfo.org/moon-sun-inhabited
My answer is faith. I readily admit that I have no proof that the events in the OT happened. But I don't think these men would die defending a lie. Especially when they didn't gain anything from it. It is very convincing to me that prophets in the OT predicted things that would happen when Jesus came to earth and then they happened. I find it convincing that OT prophets predicted things that would be fulfilled with Joseph Smith. No it isn't proof, but I find it along with many other things, convincing.

Most people agree that Christmas was instituted to combat the alluring pagan festival in December. They knew then that Jesus wasn't born in the winter.
We don't celebrate Christmas any differently than any other sect of Christianity because it doesn't really matter when you celebrate His birth. It's ok with me that we have 2 days of the year that we really think about Jesus the Christ.

Again, prophets are fallible men. They have their own opinions and we are told to pray and ask for our own witness from the Holy Ghost that what they speak us truth. In this case, there was only one person that recorded that Smith said this. Looks like others would have recorded this as well. Most assume that he did not propose this.
Young said very clearly that he thought the sun must be inhabited. He tells us that these were his thoughts. Not a revelation.

Location hidden

#99771 Apr 15, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>No, not at all. The KJV isn't the best translation for the scripture but what I gathered from verse 8 is the bible has been changed to fit whatever and whoever they wanted it to at the time. Check out the other translations.

New International Version (©2011)
"'How can you say, "We are wise, for we have the law of the LORD," when actually the lying pen of the scribes has handled it falsely?

New Living Translation (©2007)
"'How can you say, "We are wise because we have the word of the LORD," when your teachers have twisted it by writing lies?

English Standard Version (©2001)
“How can you say,‘We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us’? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes has made it into a lie.

New American Standard Bible (©1995)
"How can you say,'We are wise, And the law of the LORD is with us'? But behold, the lying pen of the scribes Has made it into a lie.

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)
How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

Holman Christian Standard Bible (©2009)
"How can you claim,'We are wise; the law of the LORD is with us? In fact, the lying pen of scribes has produced falsehood.

International Standard Version (©2012)
How can you say,'We're wise, and the Law of the LORD is with us,' when, in fact, the deceitful pen of the scribe has made it into something that deceives.

NET Bible (©2006)
How can you say, "We are wise! We have the law of the LORD"? The truth is, those who teach it have used their writings to make it say what it does not really mean.

GOD'S WORD® Translation (©1995)
" 'How can you say that you are wise and that you have the LORD's teachings? The scribes have used their pens to turn these teachings into lies.

King James 2000 Bible (©2003)
How do you say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly he made it falsely; the pen of the scribes made it a lie.

American King James Version
How do you say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? See, certainly in vain made he it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

American Standard Version
How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of Jehovah is with us? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes hath wrought falsely.

Douay-Rheims Bible
How do you say: We are wise, and the law of the Lord is with us? Indeed the lying pen of the scribes hath wrought falsehood.

Darby Bible Translation
How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of Jehovah is with us? Behold, certainly the lying pen of the scribes hath made it falsehood.

English Revised Version
How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes hath wrought falsely.

Webster's Bible Translation
How do ye say, We are wise, and the law of the LORD is with us? Lo, certainly in vain he hath made it; the pen of the scribes is in vain.

World English Bible
How do you say, We are wise, and the law of Yahweh is with us? But, behold, the false pen of the scribes has worked falsely.

Young's Literal Translation
How do ye say, We are wise, And the law of Jehovah is with us? Surely, lo, falsely it hath wrought, The false pen of scribes.

http://bible.cc/jeremiah/8-8.htm
No this isn't a translation problem. It's a context problem. This chapter is basically saying why have these scriptures because the people are so wicked, no one is using them. They were written in vain if no one uses them. You're picking out one verse and trying to say that the Bible admits it is a lie. That is taking a verse out of context.

Location hidden

#99772 Apr 15, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
4500-5,000 years includes the generally accepted date(s) formulated by biblical scholars for the Noahic flood. In any case, it hardly matters that you "never said this," as the "correct date" of a mythical event is ABSOLUTELY IRRELEVANT.
Cataclysms such as the Toba event leave geological evidence.
Human population bottlenecks are derived via genetic evidence.
Whether the former caused the latter is a hypothesis, and an overwhelming consensus should not be expected.
Population statistics of prehistoric man have been deduced from y chromosomal data from among large scale DNA sequencing.
Lets just start with: I don't believe the earth is 6000 years old. It'd be great if our records were that good that we had that genealogy all the way back to Adam, but I don't believe we have that nailed either. Not that I don't respect their studies. I hope they continue. I enjoy learning more from people who have time to study these things.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99773 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure you either have, or will be, at a point in your life where a miracle would be welcomed. Think then about how you were against the possibility of one.
A miracle, a coincidence, luck, irony, an inexplicable series of events, the interconnectedness of natural forces or the workings of the cosmic consciousness... It basically comes down to what you want to call it.
We had a cat that died. Call me sentimental, but I made a coffin for him from 2 terracotta planters. I didn't notice until I cemented the 2 together that they were called "Catinus" pots. Hmmm... A message from God?

We got a new cat - a rescue, as all of our pets are. After a week or two I let him out to become familiar with the surroundings and he got out of sight. I looked for him for about an hour and heard a meowing from near the tree where I'd buried our old cat. When I got to the tree, I could see from there that the new cat was on the other side of the neighbor's yard - about 75 yards away.
Coincidences? Mysterious? Miraculous? Coincidental? Feline ghost? God the ventriloquist?
Call me silly, but I won't hinge my entire concept of the universe on finding a cat.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99774 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets just start with: I don't believe the earth is 6000 years old. It'd be great if our records were that good that we had that genealogy all the way back to Adam, but I don't believe we have that nailed either. Not that I don't respect their studies. I hope they continue. I enjoy learning more from people who have time to study these things.
There are those who both start and end their thinking that the Earth is 6,000 years old. Regardless, there is no evidence of a global flood or a genetic bottleneck from that flood. There is no evidence that there was EVER a Garden of Eden or an Adam and Eve. The point is that those who would misconstrue "Bible studies in school" as an attempt to indoctrinate children to their denomination of religion is not an OPPORTUNITY, it is a HAZARD.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99775 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>

We don't celebrate Christmas any differently than any other sect of Christianity because it doesn't really matter when you celebrate His birth.
EXACTLY the way it was brilliant of early Christianity to adapt "Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy" to get more pagans to church on Sunday.

Location hidden

#99776 Apr 15, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>OK, let us say that the ear was almost torn off and your god did a miracle for this (middle class) family and healed the boy. Than your god must CHOOSE to ignore the prayers of innocent children living in a violent home who only pray that the beatings stop.
Than your god has messed up priorities or he hates the poor as much as republicans do and only loves the middle class and wealthy???
An honest question for you, how can you worship a god that can stop a child from being beaten but rather chooses to fix an ear?
I've said before that I don't think God intervenes in every detail of our lives. I've also said that I believe that God works through others. I have personally been that vessel in 2 cases like you describe. My opinion, there need to be more good people willing to step in and help, and the government needs to get their act together to allow good people to step in.

One case, a family of 4 children. I got to know the children from the youth program in church. Mom lived in a different state. Dad never went to church. I started visiting the family with my wife because they were getting assistance through the church welfare system. The dad was there for every visit. He yelled and screamed at those children the whole time I was there. I can't imagine what he did when I wasn't there. After discovering his drug problem, gambling problem, and obsession with guns. I feared for their lives. They were simply his means for government assistance. They walked 3 miles to Walmart to buy groceries for the family because the dad was always gambling and doing drugs. One of the girls was hit by a car on the way home. He did nothing to help get her medical attention. Their social worker was an idiot that could never see what was going on. We tried to adopt the children but the deadbeat wouldn't let us.
So after we moved away, it was difficult to stay in touch with the children so we kept in touch with other church members that could check in on them. Daily emotional and physical abuse continued and was ignored by the social worker.
When we can back to visit the area about 6 months later we made sure we stopped by their house. We felt a strong feeling to go by at a specific time. When we pulled up we expected excitement that we came by. Instead two of them ran out and told us to leave immediately. They had fear in their eyes. I didn't leave, I got out and stood at the base of the driveway until the dad came out and said now wasn't a good time. He blood on his arm and the kids' reactions were enough for me to call the social worker. When she said she was too busy I called the police. Turns out he had just stabbed his son to prove a point that he wouldn't tolerate rebellion.
We still weren't allowed to adopt them because we lived out of state, but another family from church did. The dad is in prison where he belongs.

Yes I do believe that the Spirit urged us to go by at that moment. And my heart does go out to those that still continue to suffer. But I believe God expects us to intervene and protect His children when these situations occur.

Location hidden

#99777 Apr 15, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>But true.
So christians are not perfect? Than they should stop trying to lord over every one and passing judgement.
If a homeless man went in to a church here he would be asked to leave, and if he did not leave the police would be called. How do I know this? Because it happened and then that evening some young men went in to his camp by the church and beat him to death. They got 7 years in prison for murdering the man.
No it isn't true of all Christians. You stereotype in mass quantities. I am not responsible for terrible acts that someone else performed, nor am I associated with them. Most of us have members in our own immediate family that have done unspeakable things. Does that mean you are guilty as well because your last name is the same? No it doesn't. Nor is what you are talking about the norm.

The only thing that I can agree on is that Christians should be respectful when trying to spread their beliefs to others. It should be treated as something they would like to share with others. A good message. Not a forced message and not a message of fear and threatening of consequences.
But stop grouping me in a box with murderous, greedy zealots. I don't fit that mold and neither does anyone else I associate with in my religious life.
That's like calling all white people hate-filled slave holders.

Since: Apr 12

Beirut, Lebanon

#99778 Apr 15, 2013
Do u know my friends that America was a great nation only when it was a God fearing nation? Then when man abandon God, his humanity abandons him. We became war mongers and spent billions on futile wars instead of making lives better. There is one solution for mankind: the bible. Jesus. Love. Live like Jesus and let Him do the rest. Love to all
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#99779 Apr 15, 2013
GlobalCoupons wrote:
Do u know my friends that America was a great nation only when it was a God fearing nation? Then when man abandon God, his humanity abandons him. We became war mongers and spent billions on futile wars instead of making lives better. There is one solution for mankind: the bible. Jesus. Love. Live like Jesus and let Him do the rest. Love to all
BOMB...just went off in Boston. NBC news.

Location hidden

#99780 Apr 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
To me,if someone has a different view than I do and I believe they are wrong,I will challenge them,What I will not do is,arbitrarily dismiss them... I will stand up for what I believe in and will not shy away from a challenge......Unless of course,I fear the outcome...
That being the case,,,,,This case is closed
What case is that? If it's the one about your missing dog, then I agree. It's closed as easily explainable and far from extraordinary.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#99781 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
My answer is faith. I readily admit that I have no proof that the events in the OT happened. But I don't think these men would die defending a lie. Especially when they didn't gain anything from it. It is very convincing to me that prophets in the OT predicted things that would happen when Jesus came to earth and then they happened. I find it convincing that OT prophets predicted things that would be fulfilled with Joseph Smith. No it isn't proof, but I find it along with many other things, convincing.
Most people agree that Christmas was instituted to combat the alluring pagan festival in December. They knew then that Jesus wasn't born in the winter.
We don't celebrate Christmas any differently than any other sect of Christianity because it doesn't really matter when you celebrate His birth. It's ok with me that we have 2 days of the year that we really think about Jesus the Christ.
Again, prophets are fallible men. They have their own opinions and we are told to pray and ask for our own witness from the Holy Ghost that what they speak us truth. In this case, there was only one person that recorded that Smith said this. Looks like others would have recorded this as well. Most assume that he did not propose this.
Young said very clearly that he thought the sun must be inhabited. He tells us that these were his thoughts. Not a revelation.
Thanks for sharing your faith.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99783 Apr 15, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
BOMB...just went off in Boston. NBC news.
2 bombs. My cousin was running the marathon

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#99784 Apr 15, 2013
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Wrong again....
What WE are here telling you...
It is NOT a fairy tale!
God is real... just like satan...
The fact that you post against Him... Proves He,
and the Bible are true!
Thanks again!
If it's not a myth, there would be evidence. So where is the evidence?

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99785 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't true of all Christians. You stereotype in mass quantities. I am not responsible for terrible acts that someone else performed, nor am I associated with them. Most of us have members in our own immediate family that have done unspeakable things. Does that mean you are guilty as well because your last name is the same? No it doesn't. Nor is what you are talking about the norm.
The only thing that I can agree on is that Christians should be respectful when trying to spread their beliefs to others. It should be treated as something they would like to share with others. A good message. Not a forced message and not a message of fear and threatening of consequences.
But stop grouping me in a box with murderous, greedy zealots. I don't fit that mold and neither does anyone else I associate with in my religious life.
That's like calling all white people hate-filled slave holders.
While your points are valid, do you feel that you belong to the christian CULT or to a religion?
I ask because if you truly believe and TRY to live by those beliefs my comments are not directed towards you. My comments are for the followers of the christian CULT who use a made up god to justify their hate filled blood lust and to elevate themselves above others (by defaming others) and worship social status and wealth.
While I disagree with you about god I am sure that your god and the christian cults god are nothing alike.
I do know that there are very good people who TRY to follow the christian religion, nothing against them at all.(notice I cap the word TRY? No one can do any more than that)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Re Elect Jm Hall VOTE Steve Warren in 2018 47 min drain the swamp 97
1999 Class of KCHS (Sep '08) 1 hr The Specialist 10
Who is running for Constable in 2018?? 1 hr Oner 6
gmo 1 hr GMO 10
Funky monkey 1 hr wise one 8
Wanted: Automatic Transmission for 2002 Chevy S... (Dec '14) 2 hr The Specialist 18
Knox County Jailer?? 2 hr VoteDem 26
Iknow who got Ronnie Messer busted!!! (Jan '10) 8 hr Concerned citizen 51

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Barbourville Mortgages