Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
95,081 - 95,100 of 130,602 Comments Last updated 1 hr ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99538 Apr 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you equate teaching our children to doing everything for your children?
Writing a book is not "doing everything". I am not asking for full interaction. Full interaction would include actually talking to me in person. Far from writing a book in his own hand. You take giant leaps.
Just reasoning with you. All I can give you is my opinion. As I said, I don't know why He chose not to write everything down for us. I'm assuming He thought it more beneficial to lead by example. And He knew He was on limited time.
If He would have written everything down before performing the miracles that He did, no one would have cared. No one believed Him yet. And of course afterwards all the leaders of the church and Sanhedrin wanted Him dead. What would you have suggested He do differently with His brief time of teaching?

Location hidden

#99539 Apr 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Are you claiming you personally witnessed this? You do not tell the story as if you were there.
I hear people making such claims yet never have a shread of evidence to back up the claim. Bloody clothes does not prove an ear was severed.
It was a friend of mine. He had no reason to lie to me. He was a very honest man. His wife was honest too. And his son was too small to lie about something like this.
No I wasn't there, but I have no reason to doubt.

Location hidden

#99540 Apr 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Their is not one handwritten word in existance known to be from an apostle according to the biblical scholars I have read.
So why would it have been so hard to have a stenographer to write down the words of the god-man? Or better yet, why did the Jesus not simply write the important stuff down himself? I have yet to hear a single plausable answer.
If the Jesus was able to perform magical miracles, he could have produced books upon books written in many languages to prohibit confusion and misinterpretation.
Seeing as how we only have claimed hearsay writings, it looks more like unfounded claims.
Refer to my other post. When would He?

Location hidden

#99541 Apr 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Hardly anyone can agree on what was written due to vaugeness and different writtings. Also problems exist due to the language translations. All this could have been twarted if the Jesus simply had wrote his views in his own hand and in various languages. A simple fix for a massive problem.
The Jesus could have left us a drop of his blood on each page for some DNA verification maybe.
What would you verify this DNA with?

Location hidden

#99542 Apr 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>The fact that mammals and reptiles wrap their embryos within these defenses makes them known as amniotes, which first evolved about 310 million years ago. The fossil record of amniotic eggs and embryos is paltry, leaving scientists little knowledge about when, how and why they evolved.

Scientists have typically assumed that egg-laying emerged before live birth in amniotes, since earlier creatures such as amphibians and fish are typically egg-layers. However, the earliest direct evidence of reproduction in amniotes to date is dominated by specimens that gave birth to live young
http://www.livescience.com/22437-earliest-mam...
So there's no link there?
curious

Ocoee, FL

#99543 Apr 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>What I see in these verses is an excuse to kill the non believers, as the Christians often did back in the day. Thank goodness we do not follow the ways of theocracy as they did in biblical times.
The whole story of taking the supposed promised land is one of the likes of Hitler, Saddam, and Bin Laden. This passage only brings such ideas to the new testament.
It is a concept that breeds hate simply due to religious beliefs.
This passage is against the spirit of religious freedom. Religious freedom is one of America's founding principles.
Well,since that is not what the verses mean,but that is what you claim to see,then you need to read MATT13 verses 14 and 15

Location hidden

#99544 Apr 13, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I call BS on this. I didn't see that post.

Are you saying that someone prayed over an ear and you WATCHED it miraculously heal? Because if that is not what you are saying then what makes you think prayer did ANYthing at all?

Studies show prayer does nothing. Multiple studies of high quality. So your bar for proving otherwise is much higher. What is your evidence?

To counter it, I could list the number of people who are dying of cancer and compare that to the number of people who claim to pray for people. The numbers won't look very good for prayer.

We all believe what we are compelled to believe. And we are free to do so. But when you make a claim about reality you are making a a claim about my world too. And I am not so easily fooled by confirmation bias and old wives tales.
Of course you do. Just as you doubt anything that happened in the Bible. Anything short of Jesus Christ appearing before each individual to perform a miracle that could not have happened medically would not be enough for most people to believe. And even then people would question what they had seen. It's human nature.
This wasn't a claim, this happened to someone. It's not a theory.

And I have other stories that I was personally a witness to that have convinced me that prayer works. I have shared them on here before.
Bearsfan

Schofield, WI

#99545 Apr 13, 2013
I didn't read through all the comments, but I will say, I believe in the power of prayer. I was diagnosed with cancer almost 9 years ago. Things did not look good for me at all. I had many many people, friends and family praying for me, and I am cancer free today. I do not think all of it is due to medical science, I fully believe in divine intervention. I am convinced if not for all the prayers, I would not be here today. Even my Dr. was totally amazed.
TruthIs

East Bernstadt, KY

#99546 Apr 13, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And that is how the world works. Why would you expect all the questions of the universe to ever be answered?
I don't. Imagine having to do a job like that?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#99547 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you verify this DNA with?
... It would not have a human Male DNA sequence and only have Female Human base pairs.... That is if the story is true.....

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99548 Apr 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The fool has said in his Heart"there is no God"
And eveything you post serves to affirm the veracity of that statement.
The facts are that;
Atheists are arrogant,illogical , misinformed and feel qualified to speak on subjects of Christian faith which,they do not understand,have never experienced and have absolutely no credible knowledge on the subject.
That is the criteria that you use,in order to inform those of us who believe,why we are wrong in our beliefs.
Your deceitful,misleading and misinformed opinions do not posses the power to overcome the truth,,thereby your chagrin and dismay.
Your foolishness is further confirmed by your not attempting to extricate yourself from the foolish state state of mind you find yourself in.
Arrogant, illogical, misinformed, deceitful, misleading, foolishness?
You mean like claiming the Earth is 6000 years old, that Adam and Eve were the very first humans, that the Earth was submerged beneath a billion cubic miles of water 4500 years ago (and the 8 survivors repopulated the Earth and built the tower of Babel within a couple generations) and that Jonah recorded a speech he made to God from the belly of a fish?
That kind of arrogant, illogical, misinformed, deceitful, misleading, foolishness?
GWB

Roseville, CA

#99549 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It was a friend of mine. He had no reason to lie to me. He was a very honest man. His wife was honest too. And his son was too small to lie about something like this.
The story I told you about the man who turned a wand into a snake you did not believe, can you see why others would also doubt your friends story.

This may be off topic yet a point to be made.

There have been many reasons why people my lie to embellish themselves,to build faith in others or for personal gain.

Consider this lie about Vietnam soldiers being spit on after coming home from the war.

A Vietnam Vet myself, I have run across a few who claim they were spit on, yet never had witness any soldier spit on during my 4 years of active duty.To this day some who claim to have been spit on never even serve in Vietnam, some Vietnam I know of never was spit on.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2009/08/26/part-...

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99550 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The child fell and caught his ear which was barely hanging. The kid was screaming uncontrollably so the dad told the mom to call 911 and then took the kid in a dark closet so his son wouldn't see the blood and continue to scream. He prayed and blessed his son and after several minutes the child stopped screaming. He opened the door to let light in and the child's ear was fine. It left a scar and they kept all the bloody clothes to show their friends what God did for them. The child was old enough to remember falling and getting hurt so he talked about it all the time.
This one doesn't seem to be explainable to me other than God's intervention.
Explain that chronology to me again? The priests and prayers beat the 911 responders... Wow - your EMS coordinators are Really incompetent.
Long story (though an interesting one, if anybody wants to hear it.) When my uncle was a kid, he fell and almost bit his tongue off. No hospital, no priests, no medicines stronger than rock salt. It healed. A couple decades later (before I was born), he died in a motorcycle crash. But his heart restarted, so I guess you can curse me for talking to the dead.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#99551 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You are incorrect. Just because you haven't seen it does not mean it cannot happen. I went into great detail on here one time about a friend of mine whose son almost completely cut his ear off. Due to prayer and the power of the priesthood his ear was restored like new.
That's just one experience I have witnessed or have been a part of.
almost completely cut off is not an amputee. show me one person that has lost a limb that god miraculously helped out and put their limb back on. i almost cut my finger off but a good doctor with good medical science did a thing called surgery and then put stitches in it so it could heal back together...that my friend was no miracle. it was just common medical science knowledge about how to handle the problem. if they had cut my finger off and let the stitches heal then my finger grew back then i could say now that is a miracle. not one thing about a cut ear that got reattached is anything close to a miracle and i find it hilarious that u would even suggest that as a miracle when all it takes is stitches to put an ear back on that has been completely cut off as long as u get to the doctors before the ear is dead from lack of oxygen.

Location hidden

#99552 Apr 13, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>... It would not have a human Male DNA sequence and only have Female Human base pairs.... That is if the story is true.....
Why?
If we are created in God's image, then he has a body too. So he would have DNA as well.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#99553 Apr 13, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...another question that continues to give question!!
and science will solve the questions and give real answers instead of lettin ppl be ignorant to reality forever and just say God did it. and once science proves it u will have to adjust your whole "truth" to include the real truth just as they did about the earth being flat and earth being the center of the universe, and the earth sitting still as the sun revolved around it and all those other things that god didnt even know how worked until a scientist informed him. for a creator he sure is forgetful of his creation.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#99554 Apr 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Arrogant, illogical, misinformed, deceitful, misleading, foolishness?
You mean like claiming the Earth is 6000 years old, that Adam and Eve were the very first humans, that the Earth was submerged beneath a billion cubic miles of water 4500 years ago (and the 8 survivors repopulated the Earth and built the tower of Babel within a couple generations) and that Jonah recorded a speech he made to God from the belly of a fish?
That kind of arrogant, illogical, misinformed, deceitful, misleading, foolishness?
That is foolishness in your eyes,not mine.I posted the reasons why I believed Atheists are arrogant,foolish,misinformed and deceitful.
and can provide further evidence to support my views on that subject. Oddly enough,you did not take the opportunity to dispute my views,,,,You merely changed the subject,an old political trick
used by mediocre politicians when they find themselves in a bind.
Nice try

Location hidden

#99555 Apr 13, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>The story I told you about the man who turned a wand into a snake you did not believe, can you see why others would also doubt your friends story.

This may be off topic yet a point to be made.

There have been many reasons why people my lie to embellish themselves,to build faith in others or for personal gain.

Consider this lie about Vietnam soldiers being spit on after coming home from the war.

A Vietnam Vet myself, I have run across a few who claim they were spit on, yet never had witness any soldier spit on during my 4 years of active duty.To this day some who claim to have been spit on never even serve in Vietnam, some Vietnam I know of never was spit on.

http://www.veteranstoday.com/2009/08/26/part-...
I don't remember that story but it sounds like a parlor trick with no real purpose. I have only witnessed answered prayers on things that help people.

Location hidden

#99556 Apr 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Explain that chronology to me again? The priests and prayers beat the 911 responders... Wow - your EMS coordinators are Really incompetent.
Long story (though an interesting one, if anybody wants to hear it.) When my uncle was a kid, he fell and almost bit his tongue off. No hospital, no priests, no medicines stronger than rock salt. It healed. A couple decades later (before I was born), he died in a motorcycle crash. But his heart restarted, so I guess you can curse me for talking to the dead.
No no. His father holds the priesthood. No priest was called. All worthy males in the LDS Church hold the priesthood.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#99557 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
every person taht has ever lived has told lies. even if Jeus lived u can guarentee he lied and i can show u a lie of his on the bible fromt he sermon on the mount when he said ppl there would never die before the kingdom passed and him and the father returned but to my knowledge there are no ppl alive that are over 2000 yrs old today. so that makes jesus himself a false prophet and shows he lied. why your friend lied i have no idea but if the ear healed in a dark closet and no one even saw it heal then who is to say it was cut at all. maybe the child was playin a joke on his mom and dad. and further more who would put their child ina dark closet with it bleeding that way and the ear being hangin off, that itself kinda shows your friends as not being all that great of parents. they should have been makin sure he wasnt goin in to shock and other things instead of puttin him in a closet and prayin for god to heal it. i have to call BS on this one too but u did say u had more stories that u your self witnessed so maybe u should tell us one of those so that u can prove your claim first hand. it would be easier when u know that whole thing and was part of the situation.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 4 min Le Jimbo 151,423
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 5 min well 1,981
Mayor. And school board candidates slinging Mud... 7 min Yep 32
stacy and eddie afair at union 8 min psycho 8
coming soon 21 min student 4
compter parts 23 min travis 5
Flatlick auction open? 29 min really 3
Kentucky Fried Chicken 1 hr chicky 12
Walmart Supercenter Sun Bigdaddy 6
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs