Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 168014 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

GodIsAneyeball

Lexington, KY

#99743 Apr 15, 2013
GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS AMERICA

Aye-men lol.
GodIsAneyeball

Lexington, KY

#99744 Apr 15, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
You have something against debate?
And where exactly in the constitution does it say "freedom OF (not from) religion"?
Look it up yerself dammit-I aint doing your work for you fer nothing no more!

lol
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#99745 Apr 15, 2013
Bearsfan wrote:
I didn't read through all the comments, but I will say, I believe in the power of prayer. I was diagnosed with cancer almost 9 years ago. Things did not look good for me at all. I had many many people, friends and family praying for me, and I am cancer free today. I do not think all of it is due to medical science, I fully believe in divine intervention. I am convinced if not for all the prayers, I would not be here today. Even my Dr. was totally amazed.
Great post!
God Bless you :-)

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#99746 Apr 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
Religion demands blind faith, where as science has evidence to back up its claims.
Political correctness is faith based too. The belief in enlightment is faith based as well. Religion isn't the only area where faith rules.

Mike Duquette wrote:
I do not see religion promoting critical thinking. In fact I think it often deters critical thinking. This is a major reason many atheists criticize religion and do not want the bible taught in schools.
I see the opposite, religious people I know accept their beliefs are based on faith, not science. Many leftists seem to believe their faith is based on science.

If you don't want to attend bible study, pick another elective. I don't see why we should stop teaching our children morality because of your prejudice.

Mike Duquette wrote:
BTW the bible seems to make claim of Utopian ideals.
Where's that? Can you cite?

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#99747 Apr 15, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
You have something against debate?
And where exactly in the constitution does it say "freedom OF (not from) religion"?
In order for every one to have freedom OF their religion every one must be free FROM other religions.
This is yet another example of why christianity is a cult, they want to deny others the rights they enjoy and when they are told to stop pushing their cult on to others cry that they are being denied their right to violate others rights

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99748 Apr 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Political correctness is faith based too. The belief in enlightment is faith based as well. Religion isn't the only area where faith rules.
<quoted text>I see the opposite, religious people I know accept their beliefs are based on faith, not science. Many leftists seem to believe their faith is based on science.
If you don't want to attend bible study, pick another elective. I don't see why we should stop teaching our children morality because of your prejudice.
<quoted text> Where's that? Can you cite?
The christian religion does not teach morality, in fact the opposite with all of the stealing, rape, murder. Unless you think it is moral to sell females as property and kill people for their wealth.
A perfect example, stealing is a sin and you claim that your god can not look at sin yet in the bible god told moses to have the jews "borrow" gold and silver and jewels that they would keep instead of giving them back as promised, that is the jews justifying their theft

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99749 Apr 15, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>I
<quoted text> Where's that? Can you cite?
It would not stop at being an elective. There would be church people puting propaganda in the schools, going around preaching at the children, pressuring children, making threats of Hell if they do not "choose" to go to bible study, teachers would tell the children that they need to take the bible study, etc.........
YOU are a perfect example of who the founding fathers saw fit to protect us from.
As far as "morals" go, I do not need the threat of "god is watching" to treat others well, and I do not worship money like you do so I am a better person than you

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#99750 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Hence the miracle
My mistake. I didn't make myself clear.
Here....

Even *SMALL* scalp wounds bleed like crazy.

They are usually not as bad as they first appear.

Your friend panicked at the sight of a lot of blood and,instead of cleaning the wound of it to see how much damage there was, takes the child in a closet.
This is not the act of a rational person.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99751 Apr 15, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
My mistake. I didn't make myself clear.
Here....
Your friend panicked at the sight of a lot of blood and,instead of cleaning the wound of it to see how much damage there was, takes the child in a closet.
Christians take any opportunity to get innocent children in to closets

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#99752 Apr 15, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The reason I gave,for posting this information was to see,if anyone on this website had the integrity to address the specific points that I mentioned,and regardless of their beliefs,could conceivably,demonstrate to me ,that all these coincidences had a logical explanation,
Coincidences are not required to have a "logical explanation."
They are *coincidences*. Mere chance.

Everyone experiences coincidences in their lives.
Everyone can look at a situation and say, "if not for this, then that wouldn't have happened."
That certainly doesn't make them miracles.

"Miracles" are for those who WISH TO BELIEVE that a powerful, invisible superbeing cares about them and loves them enough to suspend natural laws just for them. You know... gullible, naive people.

“I'll think about it.”

central Florida

#99753 Apr 15, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
Coincidences are not required to have a "logical explanation."
Everyone can look at a situation and say, "if not for this, then that wouldn't have happened."
"Miracles" are for those who WISH TO BELIEVE that a powerful, invisible superbeing cares about them and loves them enough to suspend natural laws just for them. You know... gullible, naive people.
I should add to this.

Not just the gullible, naive people.
It's the ones who are so insecure, guilty(Yaa is a classic example), frightened, and lonely that they will grasp at a fantasy to feel better.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99754 Apr 15, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>Jeremiah 8:8 agrees with you about the bible. I'm glad to see you are able to see this.
Little out of context there

Location hidden

#99755 Apr 15, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>My mistake. I didn't make myself clear.
Here....

No you just aren't reading the story. He saw the condition of the ear in broad daylight. He had to move the ear back to its original position. His son saw all the blood and freaked out (he was 4). That's why he went to the dark closet right across from the stairs where the accident happened. Not only was it rational, but quick-thinking. His son couldn't see all the blood. His wife was calling 911. The dad's job at that point was to console the child til help arrived.

Location hidden

#99756 Apr 15, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Christians take any opportunity to get innocent children in to closets
Sick dude. Sick

Location hidden

#99757 Apr 15, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>Coincidences are not required to have a "logical explanation."

I'm sure you either have, or will be, at a point in your life where a miracle would be welcomed. Think then about how you were against the possibility of one.

Location hidden

#99758 Apr 15, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>its just funny that all the miracle stories never have any proof other than one or two ppl that saw it. never any hard evidence. and if the father was one of the higher up guys in the church he had many reasons to lie about it all. for one it helps to give him credibility that god looks over him and answers his prayers so therefore he must be part of the true religion. there are reasons u cant convict ppl in court just on hearsay. it takes real evidence in the real world and thats what some ppl expect from miracles and gods as well. we dont just give in to the god is good thing so its true.
I never said he was "higher up" in the church. What made you think that?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99759 Apr 15, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
A1: Mostly the part recored below (it's a rather lengthy sentence in structural nature, so read very slowly, one word at a time...to the last five word of the sentence)
Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.
A2: Did you read the article as referenced at the Smithsonian link? The whole article in it's entirety, subject being on Jeffereson and his "cult" at Monticello?
When you've stymied yourself enough over the above ponderances above, I have another question concerning minerals, and their scientific states of being.....
RE: A1. I still regard the stance as the federal government being neutral to religion. I see no logical interpretation that "the separation of church and state" or "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof" as signifying or assigning an ability for religion to supersede the rights of the people or to dictate to the people's government.
RE: A2.
Cult: Noun
1, A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
2. A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

There was nothing religious about the Jefferson enclave. Considering Jefferson's deference to the affluent in matters such as voting rights and qualification of offices, I don't find his treatment of slaves surprising in the least.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#99760 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
This stuff was written by prophets even before it happened. Is that worth nothing?
How do you know it's not lies or taken from other pagan beliefs. See Jeremiah 8:8 again. Much evidence is given to refute doctrines and beliefs even today. Christmas copied from the pagan Saturnalia to celebrate Jesus birth. At least celebrate it on the date the LDS claim april 6. You have a well known bishop that claim the sun and moon are inhabited yet he is a bishop "Brigham Young." That's his opinion?

Why did Smith teach the moon was inhabited and why did Young teach the sun was inhabited?

http://mormoninfo.org/moon-sun-inhabited

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99762 Apr 15, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
How do we know 4500 years is correct? I never said this.
And the Toba hypothesis doesn't seem overly supported to me. Nor does it look like there is even a small consensus on a bottleneck. How do they know how many people existed back then anyway?
4500-5,000 years includes the generally accepted date(s) formulated by biblical scholars for the Noahic flood. In any case, it hardly matters that you "never said this," as the "correct date" of a mythical event is ABSOLUTELY IRRELEVANT.
Cataclysms such as the Toba event leave geological evidence.
Human population bottlenecks are derived via genetic evidence.
Whether the former caused the latter is a hypothesis, and an overwhelming consensus should not be expected.
Population statistics of prehistoric man have been deduced from y chromosomal data from among large scale DNA sequencing.
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#99763 Apr 15, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So when the previous verse specifies those that say their is no god, that part is irrelevant? What was the point in that verse if this is what you believe?
I am not trying to convert you either, I am just pointing out what I see are giant flaws in the bible and in Christianity.
Again, I am told by so many Christians that I am a fool due to this verse.
You have yet to address the point of the claim the bible makes here that no one has done good. Unless the translation is flawed, it clearly means not a single person has ever done a single good deed. Of course this is false.
Let me try and answer that,based on what I have read in scriptures;
Those of us who live according to our human natture,define being good,based on man made standards.
Now,we know that our human nature is flawed,We steal,we lie,we are envious,we gossip,selfish,we hate,we are greedy, we commit murder ,just to name a few.
We know that those are not good or admirable traits.Yet,knowing that we are flawed,we call ourselves good.

Even worse,we judge those who posses those traits,as not being good persons,while we ourselves are guilty of commiting such acts,and calling ourselves good.
So,therefore,the foundation for our belief that we are good,is based on a contradictory or weak foundation,which can be referred to as abominable or detestable.
Thereby,our view,that we are good,is based on foolishness.We do not understand the meaning of Good.

In our foolishness and lack of understanding,we fail to seek God,in order to find the true meaning of what it means to be good

That is further clarified by Jesus in MATT 7;18 A Good Tree,can not bring forth BAD fruit,neither can a corrupt tree bring forth Good Fruit.
MATT 7;12 The Golden rule Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.
Because of restrictions,I am unable to post the information contained in MATT 7;1 to 27,If you wish,read it.it gives a much better explanation,than the one I am providing you with.
That is what I understand,based on Scriptues,is what is meant in verses 1 to 4.
1 The fool[a] says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven
on all mankind
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.
4 Do all these evildoers know nothing
They devour my people as though eating bread;
they never call on the Lord

Again,you may not agree with my beliefs and I may not agree with yours,but,maybe we can get to understand each other better.
That,in itself,is a step in the right direction.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City cops! (Nov '15) 40 min Yes 66
Send your money to the Hurricane victims!!!! 1 hr Paul 2
Is Gov. Bevin coming to Paynes Creek ? 2 hr Senator 15
Lacey Bledsoe and her old man bf 2 hr john g 2
The Eastern Kentucky Chili Bun Trail: Hamburger... 2 hr just me 2
Knox Central Cafeteria Food 5 hr Stranger 61
Knox County Jailer?? 6 hr Agenda Finder 38

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance