Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 156580 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#99674 Apr 14, 2013
Why doesn't Anne Romney just pray to be cured of her MS?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#99675 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Refer to my other post. When would He?
A god can flood the earth but cannot write a few books? Come on, if Jesus was any sort of deity, he could knock out these books in days or at least a few weeks. He lived thirty three years. Again, I see no good excuses as of yet.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99676 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
What would you verify this DNA with?
Well we would know if it was at least from a single person. As it is now, we do not know the actual number of people who wrote what books of the bible.

Of course there was no knowledge of DNA in that day, so it was pretty easy to make claim Joseph was not the father.
I think it was pretty easy to make up stories back in those days, as it was hard to prove them false. But for some reason Christians think all those claims were perfectly honest and could not have been exaggerated.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99677 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
So there's no link there?
Is that all you have to say on the matter? Seems to me there is an obvious link, but to show just how and when that change came is very hard due to the large span of time it occured from today. Three hundred million years is a long time.

Is the lack of evidence prove something to you, if so, what?
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#99678 Apr 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well leading by example is a good way to teach. To bad the god of the old testament did not know of this.
Problem is, if Jesus example clearly was not enough for most who believe he was a deity. Note how many Christians are pro war and pro death penalty. Look how many judge harshly and throw the first stone.
I do not see your excuses making one single difference in why the Jesus did not write anything down. So what if some then did not believe? What does that have to do with anything?
Why are you asking me what I would have Jesus do differently when I am telling you over and over again? He should have wrote down what he wanted us to do. That is what I think he should have done differently. He should have written it in multliple languages as to avoid translation confusion. He should have written it in a way that is clear and concise as to avoid so many various interpretations.
These would have made a world of difference. It would likely have prevented so many wars and atrocities committed due to interpretations of what Christians believe Jesus wished for.
He could have mentioned there would be a living prophet as you claim, if this is really even true. There are strong reasons so many are not Mormon.
The idea that Jesus would write anything down if he was a deity of sorts would not make sense. He could raise the dead, heal the sick ,walk on water and turn water into wine. He would have angels writing all this down instead of goat herders. All done in every language and millions of copies that are made indestructible so they could not be burn or damaged.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99679 Apr 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Well,since that is not what the verses mean,but that is what you claim to see,then you need to read MATT13 verses 14 and 15
That does not clear anything up for me.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99680 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course you do. Just as you doubt anything that happened in the Bible. Anything short of Jesus Christ appearing before each individual to perform a miracle that could not have happened medically would not be enough for most people to believe. And even then people would question what they had seen. It's human nature.
This wasn't a claim, this happened to someone. It's not a theory.
And I have other stories that I was personally a witness to that have convinced me that prayer works. I have shared them on here before.
You do not seem to understand the meaning of a "claim". The story is a claim. It is a claim without evidence.
And yes, we do not accept this claim on blind faith just as we do not accept the bible or the Koran on blind faith. This is what separates the gullible from the critical thinkers.

Why do you not accept the Koran on this blind faith?
TruthIs

Lexington, KY

#99681 Apr 14, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>

Q1:Is there something in this that leads you to believe Jefferson intended "separation of church and state" to denote anything more or less than government neutrality regarding religion?
Q2: Where do you jump from that to a Jeffersonian "cult?"
A1: Mostly the part recored below (it's a rather lengthy sentence in structural nature, so read very slowly, one word at a time...to the last five word of the sentence)

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

A2: Did you read the article as referenced at the Smithsonian link? The whole article in it's entirety, subject being on Jeffereson and his "cult" at Monticello?

When you've stymied yourself enough over the above ponderances above, I have another question concerning minerals, and their scientific states of being.....
TruthIs

Lexington, KY

#99682 Apr 14, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a partial list of children who died because their parents believed in prayer and not medicine:
http://www.masskids.org/index.php...
The list is far from complete. I know of several cases from the last couple of years.
THAT is the harm in prayer.
Prayer, when studied properly, shows no efficacy. Praying has a placebo affect just like meditation, but intercessory prayer - praying for someone else - has no effect on that person's actual illness.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm...
" Seeking to assess the effect of third-party prayer on patient outcomes, investigators found no evidence for divine intervention. They did, however, detect a possible proof for the power of negative thinking.
The three-year Study of the Therapeutic Effects of Intercessory Prayer (STEP), published in the April 4 American Heart Journal, was the largest-ever attempt to apply scientific methods to measure the influence of prayer on the well-being of another. It examined 1,800 patients undergoing heart-bypass surgery. On the eve of the operations, church groups began two weeks of praying for one set of patients. Each recipient had a praying contingent of about 70, none of whom knew the patient personally. The study found no differences in survival or complication rates compared with those who did not receive prayers. The only statistically significant blip appeared in a subgroup of patients who were prayed for and knew it. They experienced a higher rate of postsurgical heart arrhythmias (59 versus 52 percent of unaware subjects)."
So in this large study the people who knew they were being prayed for actually did a little worse. A possible explanation is that they *expected* something more miraculous to happen and were basically let down since prayer is magic and magic is not real.
Interesting. They may have went above acceptable and tolerable decibal ranges!!! Adding additional stressors is known to have very negative affects!

The only statistically significant blip appeared in a subgroup of patients who were prayed for and knew it. They experienced a higher rate of postsurgical heart arrhythmias (59 versus 52 percent of unaware subjects)."

(I hope it didn't take you a terrible amount of time to dig that out,I for one, am the type of person who does NOT enjoy adding negative stressors to anyone !!)
TruthIs

Lexington, KY

#99683 Apr 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong, the only moral lesson students should learn in school is to question authority, which is contradictory to your religious nonsense.
That's also why we have prison systems, for those to stupid to realize there are common sense limitations, for very good reasons, to stepping beyond rational and logical boundries of such as well!
TruthIs

Lexington, KY

#99684 Apr 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Then just what was so funny? Most every scientific finding leads to more questions, as it should.
No one has the job you speak of.
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>And that is how the world works. Why would you expect all the questions of the universe to ever be answered?
Exactly.
(shall we venture out on a limb here and say specifically why that is?)
curious

Winter Garden, FL

#99685 Apr 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Do you think when passage number two says "all of mankind", is it claiming all men on earth?
Seems to me the context means just the non believers.
Again, I see in number three it claims "there is no one who does good". Again, it does not say "there is no one who is good". The word "does" is critical here. You seem to claim the word is irrelevant.
I see in number four the writer claims the unbeliever is devouring his people. So just how are the unbelievers devouring whom?
Part of the problem is, the bible is so vague it leaves to much open to various interpretations, thus causing even more problems than solving.
What I am sure of is, Christians often cite this passage to call atheists fools and bad people. I do not see atheists any more bad or foolish than Christians.
If I think someone is doing something foolish, I might tell them why I think they do the foolish thing. In the case of many Christians, I see them doing foolish things due to what the religion has taught them.
Sometimes it is due to misinterpretations of the bible. But that just points to the bible being vague and or contradictory.
Mike,If you wish to have a Civil exchange of our different views,I wiil be glad to do so. Unfortunately,on this website,that has proven to be an unattainable goal.
I am guilty of being part of this problem.
When someone mocks my beliefs in God,I tend to respond in kind,which,I shouldn't do.
Let me tell you what I believe about myself.
I DO NOT believe that,as a result of my belief in God,that I am better than someone who does not believe in God,or someone who believes in a different God.
Scripture tells me that,we are ALL sinners and fall short of the glory of God. The word ALL,includes me.
So,in the eyes of the God that I worship,Iam neither better or worse than you are,therefore I have no reason to boast,as Scripture clearly points out to me.
If you wish to continue our debate on that basis,let me know and we can continue analyzing Psalm 14 based on how you interpret it, based on your beliefs and I will do the same ,based on my beliefs,on which we can respectfully disagree,as I am sure we will.
If not,then,there is no point in continuing our discussion.

PS It is not my intention to convert anyone.That would be foolishness on my part. I am merely expressing the reasons by which I came to believe in God,through prayer and putting his teachings into practice.
What I experienced,as a result,has led me to my beliefs.
I am unable to transfer those eexperiences to any one else,
so,therefore,someone else is not going to believe based on MY experiences...
If they are to come to a particular belief,it has to be based on their own experiences.
what

Pikeville, KY

#99689 Apr 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim that,perhaps,the Topix Moderator had a good reason for deleting my post,
The contents of that post merely expained the series of events that led to my finding my dog,as a result of my prayer,a series of events that I could not logically explain,other than,God having responded to my prayer.
I challenged anyone to provide me with a logical explanation.
On that basis,there is no legitimate reason to have deleted 1 of the 4 posts I posted in presenting my argument.
Unless,of course,there were those,who dared not take up the challenge .
I have reposted that deleted section twice,on page 4763 post99476,page4765,post no.99513.
Oddly enough,none of you Atheists have acknowledged having read it.
Moreover,Satan Priest,who challenged me to present evidence,to support my belief that prayers are answered ,which I did,has avoided the topic,has not acknowledged reading what I posted,has,instead,unable to respond to my challenge,resorted to spewing gibberish and nonsense.
Yiagio made some comments,which,in no way attempted to address the events that took place, the how and the why,meaning,the way in which they took place and what might have determined those events.
Likewise Spektakals,he also did not address the issues in question No one has made an attemmpt,
Maybe you would like to try?
i would address all of it if it was here. the post u say are there are not so its impossible to address something when we dont know what it is.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99690 Apr 14, 2013
While christians are bashing Atheist or gay people it is good but when some one speaks out about the evil christian cult they have no respect.
You get what you give and as long as the hate filled christian cult is judging and condemning people, violently attacking people, forcing their cult on to people they deserve NO respect at all
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#99691 Apr 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Mike,If you wish to have a Civil exchange of our different views,I wiil be glad to do so. Unfortunately,on this website,that has proven to be an unattainable goal.
I am guilty of being part of this problem.
When someone mocks my beliefs in God,I tend to respond in kind,which,I shouldn't do.
Let me tell you what I believe about myself.
I DO NOT believe that,as a result of my belief in God,that I am better than someone who does not believe in God,or someone who believes in a different God.
Scripture tells me that,we are ALL sinners and fall short of the glory of God. The word ALL,includes me.
So,in the eyes of the God that I worship,Iam neither better or worse than you are,therefore I have no reason to boast,as Scripture clearly points out to me.
If you wish to continue our debate on that basis,let me know and we can continue analyzing Psalm 14 based on how you interpret it, based on your beliefs and I will do the same ,based on my beliefs,on which we can respectfully disagree,as I am sure we will.
If not,then,there is no point in continuing our discussion.
PS It is not my intention to convert anyone.That would be foolishness on my part. I am merely expressing the reasons by which I came to believe in God,through prayer and putting his teachings into practice.
What I experienced,as a result,has led me to my beliefs.
I am unable to transfer those eexperiences to any one else,
so,therefore,someone else is not going to believe based on MY experiences...
If they are to come to a particular belief,it has to be based on their own experiences.
Why are evil doers overwhelmed with DREAD? If atheists dreaded God then they would become wise, so the bible says. What expectations from God would they DREAD? Can you explain why atheists would dread God?

Psalm 14
4 Do all these evildoers know nothing?
They devour my people as though eating bread;
they never call on the Lord.

5 But there they are, overwhelmed with DREAD,
for God is present in the company of the righteous.

Since: Apr 13

Frankfort, KY

#99692 Apr 14, 2013
everyone is intitled to there thoughts on everything that is a good point of view
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#99693 Apr 14, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, answering that question would just make you look stupid. They told all their children to not go to college, don't have children, God is destroying 99% of the population at any moment so give everything to the Watchtower. Your religion is a cult and I think you know that.
I'm surprised Known Fact would talk to you after calling you an apostate...maybe Known Fact is questioning the validity of his/her beliefs in doing so.

“I'll think about it.”

Since: Nov 07

central Florida

#99695 Apr 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Well you just publicised it against their wishes.
You really cannot even know what reason they made the claim. They might not be telling a lie. They might just be mistaken of how deep the cut was. Their are various possibilities of the story being told wrong. You just assume the story is perfect as happened. Sorry, but I call that gullible.
So you witnessed after the fact? Then you really were not a witness to how deep the cut was at all.
Again, you put one hundred percent trust in the words of men. Sorry, but I do not do this, expecially when the claim is the large and out of reason.
If your friends told you they were abducted by aliens, would you take their word?
I agree. They didn't look closely at the wound (they went into a closet?).
Sounds like they were more afraid of the blood than the child.
Besides, it's a (heheehehee) known fact that head wounds, even minor ones, bleed like crazy.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99696 Apr 14, 2013
aWitchintheWoods wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree. They didn't look closely at the wound (they went into a closet?).
Sounds like they were more afraid of the blood than the child.
Besides, it's a (heheehehee) known fact that head wounds, even minor ones, bleed like crazy.
It is also a known fact that christians like to get little boys in closets

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99697 Apr 14, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>It is also a known fact that christians like to get little boys in closets
Like YAA and curious like to get small children alone..........

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for brother & sister, molly & steven re... (Dec '10) 5 hr lilajane 15
Who will be the next Knox Co. Judge Exec.? 7 hr my opinion 171
Just curious Old Datsun 280Z 7 hr Santa 4
How is Godfathers Pizza at Shell ? 9 hr Pope 10
Recounts what happens next a civil upheaval? 9 hr Quantummist 20
Curious about old Datsun 280z 13 hr Curious 1
Will Pro Wrestling ever make a Comeback? 15 hr CageMatch 2

Barbourville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance