Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
95,001 - 95,020 of 128,948 Comments Last updated 4 hrs ago

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Depends on which of the Gospels you read. The first one, Mark, doesn't refer to Jesus as God. I think as you read the other Gospels they speak more and more of Jesus being divine. The myth grows in the telling.
Jesus is subject to the Father. Jesus was divine because He had the power to perform miracles, the power to lay down His life and take it up again. But He was still subject to His Father.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
In john 1 it states,

In the beginning was the word, and the word was with god, and the word was god.......

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us

God in a jesus suit.
No. Incorrect.
Jesus was with God in the beginning. Jesus actually did all the hands on work in the creation under the direction of the Father, but they are not the same being. Jesus was a spirit, having no flesh and bone. He gained a body when He came to earth and still told us He was the Son of God, not God the Father.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
By the same token,observations have been made that prayer has cured illnesses.
But let us talk about your observations and to how they would apply to my situation.
Let us satrt out with the Facts,as only I know them
I prayed to have a SPECIFIC problem resolved,Said problem was resolved amd I know that to be a fact...
If My brain chemistry,physiology and activity are tested,what do the results prove or indicate.
Would it indicate that I had an illusion,that what I know happened ,did not really occur. In that case ,I'd probably tell whoever was conducting this observation,what he could do with his report.
Now,since he would not be able to refute the fact that my prayer was amswered,What else could he do? how would he explain it?
That some activity in my brain,of which I am unaware,was able to create the circumstances which resulted in the answer to my prayer?
Since you brought up the subject of this observation process,then I will leave it up yo you,to explain to me how that relates to my situation?
MIND MY FIRST COMMANDMENT; Never post irrational solutions to issues WITH which you are totally unfamil;iar aND are BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION
prayer cured an illness? prove just one time that it did. the only illness that prayer cures is the same illnesses that will naturally go in to remission or the immune system fight off. prayer wont cure any real illness that medical science has no cure for, for example, an amputee. not one time in history has any god ever been nice enuf to replace a single finger tip that has been cut off much less attempt to replace an arm or a leg so i guess gods miracles only consist of the knowledge of man in the medical field. u talkin about a slap in the face to a doctor...rush in to the hospital, perform a life saving surgery, walk out to talk to the family, tell them what happened and then just as u get done tellin them they turn and thank a god that had absolutely nothing to do with it at all and just disrespect the man/woman that just saved the life of their loved one by sayin they didnt do anything becuz it was a miracle from god. i would love to see a religious group rush in to a hospital to get a preacher life saving surgery and the doctor say, why dont u just pray and see if god gives u one of those miracles that i know i can can u...lol then we will put the whole god answers prayers and performs miracles to rest.
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

Judged:

Thank God wrote:
I do not about you but we were praying awhile ago during the tornado, about 1 hour ago .People in Walmart stopped everything and all huddle together in the center of the store ,employees and customer alike and many praying. Two big logs were whizzing through the air from the sawmill ,huge logs were coming at my daughter's truck,but missed them. They rushed into Walmart ! Thank Good for watching over them . God I am glad that I believe in you,and most of all you are a pray away.I praise you lord.
u got lucky that it didnt hit u is all. others that were prayin happened to die there, u know. or is it that they werent true christians like u and all the ppl at walmart that day...lol
what

Elkhorn City, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2013

ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay ,let's say we teach this to our children (well not mine yours): All this Universe was a freak accident of nature. One tiny fragment of a very magnificent unknown substance exploded forming billions of planets and earth" .We call this force Energy . Yes folks it was so tiny,it was almost invisible.Can you imagine how this small particle could burst,dividing into even smaller pieces as it exploded,but formed billions of planets . hummmm,"Let's see it broke into,got even smaller ,but formed all those billions of planets weighing multi-zillion, trillions more times than itself Right now that is a good subject to teach. I see your point nutty professor !
that small almost invisible force is just as reasonable as claimin as it is to claim a god made it all, cuz then u have to explain why god just formed out of nothing. science doesnt have all the answers yet but it does investigate and learm more as it goes, where as religion is just stuck with a book that is so old that real science has made the church change its teachings numerous times thru history. kinda like the whole galileo thing incidence. your god was so wrong about the earth in genesis that is a joke but u all still believe it...lol the bible claims the sky has a firmament that holds all that blue water off of us here on earth and to make the flood god opened the magic door and let water run in cuz the knowledge then was the ocean water is blue, the sky is blue, so that means the sky is water and we are in a snow globe here. learn some real science before u make fun of science. the best quote ever...its better to remain quiet and be thought of as a fool that to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a believer in God. WHY? answer , "Because I am smart enough to know that I am not wise enough to figure out the universe". Beautiful ,isn't it ?So I do not even think about how everything was made. Remember Einstein ,he became so involved in scientific research ,he forgot how to tie his shoes. We need science to study ways to improve our health,do research to invent new more modern inventions and etc. But man can not figure out the mystery of how or why we are all here. So friend ,I hope you find peace and enjoy this life ,not worrying over trivial things which matter less. PS - In my family we have doctors,nurses,psychologist,an d a radiologist. So yes we know something about science.
Appeal to ignorance, you don't know so you make up an answer instead of saying you don't know and looking for a real answer. You're lazy.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No. Incorrect.
Jesus was with God in the beginning. Jesus actually did all the hands on work in the creation under the direction of the Father, but they are not the same being. Jesus was a spirit, having no flesh and bone. He gained a body when He came to earth and still told us He was the Son of God, not God the Father.
I personally list the Trinity as one of Christiany's most problematic ideas. In essence it is irrational and doesn't make any sense. Jesus is said to be "fully God, fully man". But these are mutually exclusive ideas, if we can accept any of our ideas about God as being accurate.

So Christianity, in the Trinity, has a fundamental logical error. But this, I'm told, is a "mystery" of God's plan.

And then you gotta work a Holy Spirit in there too...

Now, from my perspective, this creates yet another problem for Christians who want to argue that their God is real. If God can defy basic logic (exactly like denying a mathematical truth), then what else can God intentionally get wrong? What elements of the theology do Christians accept that are actually just intentionally incorrect?

This goes back to that idea I mentioned from The Problem of Evil. If God's moral thinking is beyond human understanding, then why on earth would any human assume that ANYTHING they know about God is accurate? Even basic, personal relationship type stuff? That feeling in your chest that tells you that God is present...how can you say with any real certainty that this is a genuine experience involving God? If there is room for God to act in a way that we cannot understand, even to the point of violating our most basic moral instincts, then what metric can you possibly use to gauge that any of your faith-based ideas are true?

Fascinating stuff.
TruthIS

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
A person can have an opinion about God and be a real a**hole, atheist or not. So I don't understand where you have a problem.
What is it about atheism that bothers you? It is the rejection of belief in a god or gods. Simple, case closed, noting else to it.
Do you get upset at people who don't collect stamps or don't play golf or don't like country music?
Ahhhh...
You missed the part where I said SOME (meaning not all) atheists.
I actually have some friends who are just that-they're just not ugly and vile towards others (different) beliefs because of it. I have no problem with those types of folks.
It's the Ignorant ones, that try to lump and label everyone into one little ignorant square box, and call them all the same, thatI have issue with.
But I have a low tolerance for abject ignorance like that, finding it along the same barbaric dark age levels of customs that allowed for masses of hatertics to oh...say...stone unmarried, pregnant women for their sins...wayyyy back in the day.

Imagine that. Some population control method there now huh.

(case closed absolutely!:-)....)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
My good man
I t is there,very plain to see.Go back and read SLOWLY,what I posted. If you still can not understand it,that is not my fault.
That you may understand it,and are unable to adequately respond is another matter altogether
In other words...there is none. You should be ashamed of yourself. You get some of the easily duped xians on here drooling uncontrollably and believing that you've experienced some sort of miracle first hand. But in the end, you offer them nothing more than any of the other charlatans who've betrayed their trust and spoiled their minds. For shame, for shame...
TruthIS

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You know that is too much information for a fundie to grasp.
You are just messing with his/her little mind huh? Because the christian cult hates information and facts. Truth is their greatest fear
And sane, rational and logical people despise ignorance.

Give the Bigotry of the pea brainedness of lump and labelDUHMing everyone the same based on choice of beliefs/religion or lack off Ignorance a break-it's nauseating to those with some actual decency and ethics.
TruthIS

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>No, you are a believer in god because you are not smart enough to look for answers so you fall back on superstition and myth
and because if you really are part of some sort of satanic cult-

You are emitting a strong stench POT-KETTLE-BLACK, hypocricy.
TruthIS

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>It is against the christian belief to be honest and tell the truth
Is it against the atheist belief, or the satanist belief, to treat people decently, with out hatred, judgeement and hypocricy? It would seem to be sometimes.

Sinners that live in glass houses, should NEVER cast stones at others...expecially when there are boulders of sin residing inside of their ownselves.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you miss a post? What happened after the skeptical phone call?
Careful, when I pointed out his rather mundane, and completely normal sequence of events as being non-miraculous...he basically said I was too stupid to understand it.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

I used to be a devout and deeply religious man who never questioned God. One morning I awoke with a terrible hunger. I went to the kitchen to prepare myself a breakfast. As I sat at my kitchen table, thinking about how wonderful my god was, I began to eat my cereal.
And this is the part that FAITH CAN'T EXPLAIN:
The cereal was stale!!!
Now, I didn't completely lose my faith in god at that point. But, cracks had started to form in the foundation of my faith.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
...and because if you really are part of some sort of satanic cult-
You are emitting a strong stench POT-KETTLE-BLACK, hypocricy.
versus
TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
"It's the Ignorant ones, that try to lump and label everyone into one little ignorant square box, and call them all the same, that I have issue with."
TruthIS

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
I used to be a devout and deeply religious man who never questioned God. One morning I awoke with a terrible hunger. I went to the kitchen to prepare myself a breakfast. As I sat at my kitchen table, thinking about how wonderful my god was, I began to eat my cereal.
And this is the part that FAITH CAN'T EXPLAIN:
The cereal was stale!!!
Now, I didn't completely lose my faith in god at that point. But, cracks had started to form in the foundation of my faith.
Wipe your glasses off and check the expiration date. Dolt.

"Science without Religion Is Lame, Religion without Science Is Blind"
TruthIS

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
versus
<quoted text>
Ignorance is NO EXCUSE for vileness and ugliness towards others either.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Is it against the atheist belief, or the satanist belief, to treat people decently, with out hatred, judgeement and hypocricy? It would seem to be sometimes.
Sinners that live in glass houses, should NEVER cast stones at others...expecially when there are boulders of sin residing inside of their ownselves.
What is "the atheist belief?" Would you care to elaborate on your knowledge of "the satanist belief?"
TruthIS

East Bernstadt, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
versus
<quoted text>
(and may those who project it onto others, fester and karmalize, of their own internal vile and ugly!!!!)

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 13, 2013

TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Didn't you just call me a dolt? Even though, to the best of my knowledge, I've never addressed you.

Tsk, tsk... What your god must think of you...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

98 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
1 Blessing From God 8 min TOASTup 11
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 14 min Jay 146,958
New club in Barbourville? 44 min Curious 1
i miss my amy 52 min b ggggg 7
Re. Handy Mart Building? 55 min The Man 1
Nikki Vaughn (married to Adam Vaughn) 1 hr Wow 4
Corn for Sale 1 hr Barbourville Man 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000