Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,857

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
TruthIs

East Bernstadt, KY

#99572 Apr 13, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
So let me get this right God is a Human Being in a Human Body? Just has magical powers to go between dimensional states, make new human beings out of dirt and rib bones, create planets, stars and galaxies but has to write down his rules on rocks that men can break on a stump... Really? And you don't think sounds kinda Goofy?
Not if anyone is thinking in quarks.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#99573 Apr 13, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't remember that story but it sounds like a parlor trick with no real purpose. I have only witnessed answered prayers on things that help people.
The talking snake in the garden of eden did have a purpose.
TruthIs

East Bernstadt, KY

#99574 Apr 13, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I am VERY glad you doing good. That is awesome! I mean that with all sincerity.
But you are committing the fallacy called post hoc ergo propter hoc", the same as the other poster
The healing environment approach is a holistic concept that aims to avoid exposing patients and their visitors to stressors that will inhibit the healing process; for this, effects should be mobilised that will support the overall outcome. Research in this field is carried out in the following areas:

1. Connection of patients/family to nature
2. Social and emotional support
3. Elimination of stressors in the hospital environment
4. Positive distractions
5. Patient information and behavioural change (patient education);
6. Medical process, structures and outcome quality (e.g. Fast Track Surgery).
The basic pillars of this approach are evidence-based design, patient-focused organisational culture and medical capability.
A healing environment
- creates rituals and organisational help that encourages patients’ healing supportive behaviour
- enables learning and dealing with disease and recovery
-l elevates compliance in the sense of positive attitude towards the healing and the rehabilitation process.
Effects:
- quicker subjectively experienced recovery and mobility
- shorter stays
- lower costs for hospitals and patients
- higher patient and healthcare worker satisfaction.

von Eiff, M. The_healing_environment. EUROPEAN HOSPITAL. Web. Retrieved 4/13/2013

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99575 Apr 13, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
Not if anyone is thinking in quarks.
GWB

Roseville, CA

#99576 Apr 13, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
See my previous post to Bearsfan because it is intended to answer this one too.
Here's one of the problems I have with what you're saying.
Let's say you have a friend who falls off a ladder and breaks his neck. He's lying on the ground, dying. You pray for him. Immediately following your prayer he wakes up, rubs his neck, gets up, and walks away.
That would be AMAZING. But guess what? It would not be proof that prayer works. That is not how we evaluate extreme claims. Now, if he was bleeding and you applied pressure to the wound we could say the pressure helped stop the bleeding. We've seen that a million times and we know it works.
Prayer is magic. We have no evidence or experience with magic. So making a claim that magic works, even in the extreme neck breaking example, would not be sufficient to prove it. You would have to produce some kind of viable hypothesis and then do experiments or observations to support the hypothesis.
We have done this several times with prayer. Prayer has no efficacy in controlled studies. So the only way to believe in it is to simply have faith. And faith is NOT reality. It is just faith. Baseless, empty, and irrational.
I know that isn't something you will accept but it is a fact. This is how reality works and this is how we navigate reality. We do not do it by faith, we do it by reason and evidence. Otherwise we would have prayed polio away instead of doing it with science.
YAA claims evidence of miracles, YAA has a jacket with bullet holes to show the rounds passed right thru his body and left no wounds, yet the jacket was ruined. I left claims of out casting out of demons for another time.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99577 Apr 13, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
The talking snake in the garden of eden did have a purpose.
Obviously. Adam and Eve were the first audience and Satan was the first ventriloquist. Makes one wonder if Charlie McCarthy's mitochondrial DNA might be traced back to the tree of knowledge...?
TruthIs

East Bernstadt, KY

#99578 Apr 13, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
See my previous post to Bearsfan because it is intended to answer this one too.
Here's one of the problems I have with what you're saying.
Let's say you have a friend who falls off a ladder and breaks his neck. He's lying on the ground, dying. You pray for him. Immediately following your prayer he wakes up, rubs his neck, gets up, and walks away.
That would be AMAZING. But guess what? It would not be proof that prayer works. That is not how we evaluate extreme claims. Now, if he was bleeding and you applied pressure to the wound we could say the pressure helped stop the bleeding. We've seen that a million times and we know it works.
Prayer is magic. We have no evidence or experience with magic. So making a claim that magic works, even in the extreme neck breaking example, would not be sufficient to prove it. You would have to produce some kind of viable hypothesis and then do experiments or observations to support the hypothesis.
We have done this several times with prayer. Prayer has no efficacy in controlled studies. So the only way to believe in it is to simply have faith. And faith is NOT reality. It is just faith. Baseless, empty, and irrational.
I know that isn't something you will accept but it is a fact. This is how reality works and this is how we navigate reality. We do not do it by faith, we do it by reason and evidence. Otherwise we would have prayed polio away instead of doing it with science.
In your example such would be an amazing miracle. In other instances however, the effects of prayer have been given serious regard...for whatever reasons. Besides, what's the harm of it, if people aren't blindly reliant when and if other options may benefit for the well being, especially if it's not harming, but rather instead, helping? To insult people over anything, just for the sake of arrogance and promotion solely of ones own persepctive, is just rude and vile.
----------
Spirituality and Prayer-How is it promoted for use?

Some proponents of spirituality in the context of health claim that prayer can decrease the negative effects of disease, speed recovery, and increase the effectiveness of medical treatments. Faith and religious beliefs are also thought to improve coping and provide comfort during illness. Attendance at religious events and services is sometimes linked with improvement of various health conditions such as heart disease, hypertension, stroke, colitis, cancers, and overall health status. Scientific evidence is mixed.

Certain religious groups claim prayer can cure any disease. These groups often rely entirely on prayer in place of conventional medicine. This belief is based on a spiritual rather than a biological explanation of how disease develops. There have been some reported cases of tumor regression occurring after prayer.(See our document, Faith Healing for more information.)

Many people believe the spiritual dimension is important when a person is coping with serious illness. The ability to find meaning in life can be helpful when dealing with cancer, even though it cannot cure the disease. Spirituality may also help us accept illness and death, both for ourselves and for those we love.

Referenced contributors to numerous to mention. The American Cancer Society. 12/7/2012. Web. Retrieved 4/13/2013.
TruthIs

East Bernstadt, KY

#99579 Apr 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =LYZWP80opd4XX
I have cartoonish video ADHD....much prefer reading whenever possible, it's great for being able to form ones own opinion.

Quarks and Leptons are the building blocks which build up matter, i.e., they are seen as the "elementary particles". In the present standard model, there are six "flavors" of quarks. They can successfully account for all known mesons and baryons (over 200). The most familiar baryons are the proton and neutron, which are each constructed from up and down quarks. Quarks are observed to occur only in combinations of two quarks (mesons), three quarks (baryons). There was a recent claim of observation of particles with five quarks (pentaquark), but further experimentation has not borne it out.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99580 Apr 13, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
I have cartoonish video ADHD....much prefer reading whenever possible, it's great for being able to form ones own opinion.
Quarks and Leptons are the building blocks which build up matter, i.e., they are seen as the "elementary particles". In the present standard model, there are six "flavors" of quarks. They can successfully account for all known mesons and baryons (over 200). The most familiar baryons are the proton and neutron, which are each constructed from up and down quarks. Quarks are observed to occur only in combinations of two quarks (mesons), three quarks (baryons). There was a recent claim of observation of particles with five quarks (pentaquark), but further experimentation has not borne it out.
Well, if you want to be a stick in the mud, I suppose I could have posted this instead...
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pa...
why dont you know

Paris, KY

#99581 Apr 13, 2013
One of the reasons the first amendment was established was to protect religion from the government. But now it's been turned on it's head and is used to protect government from religion. And there is no separation of church and state. That phrase came from a private letter from Thomas Jefferson to a Baptist minister and is not found in government documents but is used now as a reason to be hostile to religion. If our founding fathers could be aware of what has happened to their form of government, they would be spinning in their graves and wondering why we haven't thrown off the yoke of this modern version of government.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99582 Apr 13, 2013
what wrote:
<quoted text>every person taht has ever lived has told lies. even if Jeus lived u can guarentee he lied and i can show u a lie of his on the bible fromt he sermon on the mount when he said ppl there would never die before the kingdom passed and him and the father returned but to my knowledge there are no ppl alive that are over 2000 yrs old today. so that makes jesus himself a false prophet and shows he lied. why your friend lied i have no idea but if the ear healed in a dark closet and no one even saw it heal then who is to say it was cut at all. maybe the child was playin a joke on his mom and dad. and further more who would put their child ina dark closet with it bleeding that way and the ear being hangin off, that itself kinda shows your friends as not being all that great of parents. they should have been makin sure he wasnt goin in to shock and other things instead of puttin him in a closet and prayin for god to heal it. i have to call BS on this one too but u did say u had more stories that u your self witnessed so maybe u should tell us one of those so that u can prove your claim first hand. it would be easier when u know that whole thing and was part of the situation.
The reason he went into the dark was because his son was freaking out over seeing all the blood. How is that being a bad parent? I say that's being a quick thinker.
While he was in there with him the thought hit him to give him a priesthood blessing. And as I said, both parents saw his ear hanging by a thread. But I understand that a person so devoid of faith would have to see it for himself to believe such a miracle. I can picture you in there with a flashlight with eyes wide open. Haha

Location hidden

#99583 Apr 13, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>So let me get this right God is a Human Being in a Human Body? Just has magical powers to go between dimensional states, make new human beings out of dirt and rib bones, create planets, stars and galaxies but has to write down his rules on rocks that men can break on a stump... Really? And you don't think sounds kinda Goofy?
Anyone can describe the simplest activity the way you did and make it sound ridiculous.
Ex
So you mean to tell me you drink this white liquid and it travels trough magical tubes in your body and it comes out a different hole as a solid and it's no longer white?

God is not human the way we understand humanity, but He has a body of flesh and bone. It is a glorified body. But we are His children and have the opportunity to have the same type of body. We were born as spirits before this existence and came here to receive our body and have our faith tested. Our spirit and body will separate at death but because the atonement of Jesus Christ happened, we will be resurrected as He was. Our spirit will reunite with our body and it will be glorified as well. Not so much as a hair lost. Amputees will regain their limbs back with this eternal body.
As hokey as this may sound to you, let me ask you a question. I have fielded many of yours very respectfully. I hope you can open your mind and do the same for me.
If you died, and you were no longer in your body, but cognizant that you were awake and aware as a spirit and surrounded by others in the same state. What would your thoughts be then?

Location hidden

#99584 Apr 13, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Horsey Puckey Doo Doo.....
I don't expect you to believe it. It's a shame you can't though.

Location hidden

#99585 Apr 13, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>What kind of DNA based brain would be able to hold all of the descriptors of every piece of information of the universe?
What kind of reasonable being defends the pre-bronze age notion that God created man instead of the simple and obvious truth that it was the other way around?
The age of a belief doesn't really matter. Pre historic fire still burns like fire today
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

#99586 Apr 13, 2013
Life's kinda like flowers and bumble bees. We're not all the same, but if we all work together there will be more flowers and honey for everyone, but when we don't, then life sucks.

God wishes that everyone LOVE everyone, but not everyone will do this, simply because many do not know the "Will of God" and many will not do it "WHEN they know". But for those who do know and do "The Will of God" they receive Eternal LIFE. This is what the Messiah Jesus Christ came to tell Man in sum, but many did not, and do not believe Him (John 14:6);(Mathew 7:21). To follow the "Will of the Father" men would have to lay their weapons down and seek “Peace” through LOVE for one another, but many refused to do this and many still refuse to do this, so the World continues on towards Armageddon.
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#99587 Apr 13, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
How about you explain the "this generation" teaching that I had beat into my head growing up? The generation that was alive during 1914 that would not pass away? What's the new light on that one?
Pose your questions to:
The Watchtower
25 Columbia Heights
Brooklyn, NY 11201
That way you can get your answer straight from their mouth!
Oxymoron

Glasgow, KY

#99588 Apr 13, 2013
Psalm 34:21 Evil shall slay the Wicked: and they that hate the righteous shall be desolate.

1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is foolishness with God. For it is written, He taketh the wise in THEIR OWN craftiness.

1 John 4:8 He that loveth not knoweth not God; for God is LOVE.

1 Corinthians 13:2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not LOVE, I am nothing.
3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not LOVE, it profiteth me nothing.

2 Peter 3:9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Matthew 7:12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for THIS IS THE LAW and the prophets.

Galatians 6:7,8 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life Everlasting.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#99589 Apr 13, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Even your brothers in faith are starting to smell your BS.
And, instead of just answering his question, you choose to insult his intelligence with even more BS.
Shame on you...surely your god must be disappointed in your deceitfulness.
I am responding to your post,number 99477. The answer to the question you are asking,can be found in my post number 99476 on page4763. In other words,it was right in front of your nose and you could not see it,which demonstrates how incompetent you are.
Go back to that post and read it,Answer will be found in 5th verse.
Do yourself a favor,program the post number ,pahe number and verse number into your GPS,that way you will have no excuse for not finding it.
And no,I never said it was a miracle, I believe it was God's response to prayer.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99590 Apr 13, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
That is foolishness in your eyes,not mine.I posted the reasons why I believed Atheists are arrogant,foolish,misinformed and deceitful.
and can provide further evidence to support my views on that subject. Oddly enough,you did not take the opportunity to dispute my views,,,,You merely changed the subject,an old political trick
used by mediocre politicians when they find themselves in a bind.
Nice try
Ok you want me to believe that after a talking snake made a woman eat fruit there was an ark with two of every kind and a super flood than a virgin got pregnant so the god that demanded animal sacrifice and killing babies turned in to a loving god and you are better than every one else?
Next you will want us to believe that you are not a drug abuser

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99591 Apr 13, 2013
why dont you know wrote:
One of the reasons the first amendment was established was to protect religion from the government. But now it's been turned on it's head and is used to protect government from religion. And there is no separation of church and state. That phrase came from a private letter from Thomas Jefferson to a Baptist minister and is not found in government documents but is used now as a reason to be hostile to religion. If our founding fathers could be aware of what has happened to their form of government, they would be spinning in their graves and wondering why we haven't thrown off the yoke of this modern version of government.
LOL, nice try but it is a lie.
The founding fathers, after seeing how the church in England slaughtered people saw fit to protect the people from the church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Where is Nick Mandel? 1 hr Momof4 1
missing pit bull 2 hr Worried 6
Knox Central 3 hr guess 2
truck payments 4 hr gator 10
Need food badly 4 hr Need food badly 25
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 4 hr TOASTup 404
city of barbourville 7 hr Three losers 15
Porsche mills 14 hr Prayers 17
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Dec 15 Corky 51
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 7:18 am PST

Bleacher Report 7:18AM
Tennessee Titans vs. Jacksonville Jaguars: Complete Week 16 Preview for Tennesse
NBC Sports12:38 PM
Dexter McCluster out Thursday, likely out Week 17 as well
NBC Sports 2:30 PM
Manziel looking for better showing in second start - NBC Sports
NBC Sports 2:48 PM
Titans RB McCluster ruled out of game vs. Jaguars - NBC Sports
Bleacher Report 5:47 PM
Denver Broncos vs. Cincinnati Bengals Betting Odds, Analysis, NFL Pick