Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 158184 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

Satanic Priest

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#99651 Apr 14, 2013
Oh, and you can say "we can not grasp the mysteries of god" or "who can know gods plan" I say that evil is still evil and if there was a god and that god allowed such evil than he is evil

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99652 Apr 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You claim that,perhaps,the Topix Moderator had a good reason for deleting my post,
The contents of that post merely expained the series of events that led to my finding my dog,as a result of my prayer,a series of events that I could not logically explain,other than,God having responded to my prayer.
I challenged anyone to provide me with a logical explanation.
On that basis,there is no legitimate reason to have deleted 1 of the 4 posts I posted in presenting my argument.
Unless,of course,there were those,who dared not take up the challenge .
I have reposted that deleted section twice,on page 4763 post99476,page4765,post no.99513.
Oddly enough,none of you Atheists have acknowledged having read it.
Moreover,Satan Priest,who challenged me to present evidence,to support my belief that prayers are answered ,which I did,has avoided the topic,has not acknowledged reading what I posted,has,instead,unable to respond to my challenge,resorted to spewing gibberish and nonsense.
Yiagio made some comments,which,in no way attempted to address the events that took place, the how and the why,meaning,the way in which they took place and what might have determined those events.
Likewise Spektakals,he also did not address the issues in question No one has made an attemmpt,
Maybe you would like to try?
I said I would address your issues if you state them clearly. I was not responding to your miracle, I was responding to your venomous rant about atheists. Miracle or mundane, what issue would I take against your dog making it back home?
I have no idea why your post gets deleted. Over 4,000 posts have gone missing from this thread for one reason or another. Why don't you rephrase and summarize the missing information instead of getting PO'ed at people that had nothing to do with it going missing? BTW - don't get mad at people for not reading a story that has to be cut into quarters to fit the forum restraints.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

#99653 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We don't teach by the fear factor, but the consequences of not following God's commandments are still there.
Think of it this way. If a classroom has rules with consequences for breaking those rules. Do those change regardless of teaching styles? Applying the consequence when needed vs. constantly threatening and reminding the students of the rules and consequences seems to have no effect on most children.
I understand those who believe take the hell-fire thing as literal, I think it would sadistic for anyone including a God to include that in someones punishments for a relative mist of time humans are alive here on earth compared to eternity.

Now if humans were to live as long as Adam and actually talk with angels with God teaching them and then they decided that eternal life was not for them, why would God still torture them? Does not sound like a God of love would do that to me.

I find that belief to be illogical. I would put that in the realm of talking snake. I would say that teaching most likely would be traced to ancient pagan religions and a useful tool for religion in the conversion process.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99654 Apr 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I am responding to your post,number 99477. The answer to the question you are asking,can be found in my post number 99476 on page4763. In other words,it was right in front of your nose and you could not see it,which demonstrates how incompetent you are.
Go back to that post and read it,Answer will be found in 5th verse.
Do yourself a favor,program the post number ,pahe number and verse number into your GPS,that way you will have no excuse for not finding it.
And no,I never said it was a miracle, I believe it was God's response to prayer.
...and that post doesn't exist either, as I suspected. You want us to believe that you keep posting and re-posting your answer, but an evil Topix moderator is removing your answers. Why?

Maybe a better question is why do you have to resort to such BS?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#99655 Apr 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not telling you anything.The information provived in the verses contains the answers to your question,which you,because of your unbelief,are unable to grasp.
What do you understand verse 2 to mean and what do you understand verses 3 and 4 to mean...
1 The fool[a] says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven
on all mankind
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.
4 Do all these evildoers know nothing
They devour my people as though eating bread;
they never call on the Lord.
If you cannot explain it, then I walk away with what I feel it says.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99656 Apr 14, 2013
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>Hahahaha!
Isn't it more your 'choice' to use your body parts as a
vagina in a sinful way, and not biologically?
Don't wrongfully accuse me of sodomy and I won't wrongfully accuse you of cunnilingus with your neighbor's dog.
Go away.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99657 Apr 14, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not telling you anything.The information provived in the verses contains the answers to your question,which you,because of your unbelief,are unable to grasp.
What do you understand verse 2 to mean and what do you understand verses 3 and 4 to mean...
1 The fool[a] says in his heart,
“There is no God.”
They are corrupt, their deeds are vile;
there is no one who does good.
2 The Lord looks down from heaven
on all mankind
to see if there are any who understand,
any who seek God.
3 All have turned away, all have become corrupt;
there is no one who does good,
not even one.
4 Do all these evildoers know nothing
They devour my people as though eating bread;
they never call on the Lord.
Do you think when passage number two says "all of mankind", is it claiming all men on earth?
Seems to me the context means just the non believers.

Again, I see in number three it claims "there is no one who does good". Again, it does not say "there is no one who is good". The word "does" is critical here. You seem to claim the word is irrelevant.

I see in number four the writer claims the unbeliever is devouring his people. So just how are the unbelievers devouring whom?

Part of the problem is, the bible is so vague it leaves to much open to various interpretations, thus causing even more problems than solving.

What I am sure of is, Christians often cite this passage to call atheists fools and bad people. I do not see atheists any more bad or foolish than Christians.

If I think someone is doing something foolish, I might tell them why I think they do the foolish thing. In the case of many Christians, I see them doing foolish things due to what the religion has taught them.
Sometimes it is due to misinterpretations of the bible. But that just points to the bible being vague and or contradictory.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99658 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I contend that both wisdoms exist. But I, in no way, believe that all wisdom comes from scripture. As I said, I believe wisdom comes from God, who encourages us to learn as much as possible while on this earth.
I have no problem with science. I enjoyed it in college. I just don't think it should be used to prove, or disprove God.
So all of the geological record that proves conclusively that there was NOT a billion cubic miles of water covering the Earth within the last 4500 years should be discounted. All of the genetic research that disproves the genetic bottlenecks from both Noah's family and the Garden of Eden should be erased. Ichthyology should be shelved, since it disproves the story of Jonah. In fact, any science which proves that a large part of Genesis is fictional should be locked in a vault, since it is contrary to the Biblical Word of God.
It seems that the only branch of science that is valid to Christians is ornithology, since they behave like ostriches with their heads in the sand.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99659 Apr 14, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. Imagine having to do a job like that?
Then just what was so funny? Most every scientific finding leads to more questions, as it should.
No one has the job you speak of.
Mike Duquette wrote:

<quoted text>And that is how the world works. Why would you expect all the questions of the universe to ever be answered?

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#99660 Apr 14, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
Wrong, the only moral lesson students should learn in school is to question authority, which is contradictory to your religious nonsense.
To your politically correct nonsense as well; at least we know our religious nonsense is faith based while the left believes they are enlightened people furthering utopian ideals and may thus denigrate religion, custom and law. They think their faith is based on science.

The moral lesson those students learn is raping and battering teachers; the inner city public school. I think there are better moral lessons, like critical thinking, utilitarianism and individual freedom. Bible study rules reduces individual freedom, like any other rule.

There will always be rulebreakers.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99661 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
No both parents saw the severity beforehand.
So you must then be taking the word of two people as some sort of absolute truth. You do know some people tend to exaggerate? Many exaggerate to promote their beliefs as I think happened in this case. The ear may have had a deep cut, but who is to say just how deep? Who is to say just how long it took to heal? All these things can be exaggerated claims. I think the bible contains the same sort of exaggerations. I think Christians are to trusting in what the bible claims. I think it is foolish to have so much trust in someones claims without evidence.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99662 Apr 14, 2013
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>To your politically correct nonsense as well; at least we know our religious nonsense is faith based while the left believes they are enlightened people furthering utopian ideals and may thus denigrate religion, custom and law. They think their faith is based on science.
The moral lesson those students learn is raping and battering teachers; the inner city public school. I think there are better moral lessons, like critical thinking, utilitarianism and individual freedom. Bible study rules reduces individual freedom, like any other rule.
There will always be rulebreakers.
Religion demands blind faith, where as science has evidence to back up its claims.

I do not see religion promoting critical thinking. In fact I think it often deters critical thinking. This is a major reason many atheists criticize religion and do not want the bible taught in schools.

BTW the bible seems to make claim of Utopian ideals.

Location hidden

#99664 Apr 14, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>So all of the geological record that proves conclusively that there was NOT a billion cubic miles of water covering the Earth within the last 4500 years should be discounted. All of the genetic research that disproves the genetic bottlenecks from both Noah's family and the Garden of Eden should be erased. Ichthyology should be shelved, since it disproves the story of Jonah. In fact, any science which proves that a large part of Genesis is fictional should be locked in a vault, since it is contrary to the Biblical Word of God.
It seems that the only branch of science that is valid to Christians is ornithology, since they behave like ostriches with their heads in the sand.
The writings that we have are inspired but still written by men. I don't contend that the Bible is perfect. The scriptures that we have were written by men that were sometimes writing their understanding of the situation. I'm not sure if the entire earth was flooded. I'm sure it's possible because God could make it happen if He wished. Who's to say that only the part that was inhabited was flooded?
And what disproves the Noah bottleneck?

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99665 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know why He chose not to write anything Himself. I gave you my opinion. His choice must have been intentional because the only time He ever wrote was in the sand.
I wish things were more clear as well, which is why a church that claims to be a restoration of the gospel, and has a living prophet that can lead us in this day is so refreshing.
So you take it on blind faith that leaving the writing to various men with vague and sometimes contradictory word is what Jesus wanted? I see this as discarding any critical thinking.
You see, we atheists use critical thinking to determine likelyhoods of truth. We do not use blind faith to rule us as you seem to do.
I am simply pointing out one of the reasons, many atheists and I do not believe Jesus was a deity.
I am simply pointing out that the bible leaves many into conflict and confusion due to poor detail.
Note my statements on the passage about non believers being claimed as fools and doing no good.

Location hidden

#99666 Apr 14, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So you must then be taking the word of two people as some sort of absolute truth. You do know some people tend to exaggerate? Many exaggerate to promote their beliefs as I think happened in this case. The ear may have had a deep cut, but who is to say just how deep? Who is to say just how long it took to heal? All these things can be exaggerated claims. I think the bible contains the same sort of exaggerations. I think Christians are to trusting in what the bible claims. I think it is foolish to have so much trust in someones claims without evidence.
It's not a case of zero evidence. As I said, these were friends of mine. I saw the family the week before and then I saw them right after the accident. I saw the scar. I listened to the boy talk about what had happened to him over the weekend. As I said, it healed in minutes, not weeks. It is funny to me the lengths people will go to call my friends liars and make things up to discredit them just because they can't fathom a miracle is possible.

Again they had no reason to embellish. They had nothing to gain because they didn't want this publicized. They didn't want attention from it.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99668 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Just reasoning with you. All I can give you is my opinion. As I said, I don't know why He chose not to write everything down for us. I'm assuming He thought it more beneficial to lead by example. And He knew He was on limited time.
If He would have written everything down before performing the miracles that He did, no one would have cared. No one believed Him yet. And of course afterwards all the leaders of the church and Sanhedrin wanted Him dead. What would you have suggested He do differently with His brief time of teaching?
Well leading by example is a good way to teach. To bad the god of the old testament did not know of this.
Problem is, if Jesus example clearly was not enough for most who believe he was a deity. Note how many Christians are pro war and pro death penalty. Look how many judge harshly and throw the first stone.
I do not see your excuses making one single difference in why the Jesus did not write anything down. So what if some then did not believe? What does that have to do with anything?
Why are you asking me what I would have Jesus do differently when I am telling you over and over again? He should have wrote down what he wanted us to do. That is what I think he should have done differently. He should have written it in multliple languages as to avoid translation confusion. He should have written it in a way that is clear and concise as to avoid so many various interpretations.
These would have made a world of difference. It would likely have prevented so many wars and atrocities committed due to interpretations of what Christians believe Jesus wished for.
He could have mentioned there would be a living prophet as you claim, if this is really even true. There are strong reasons so many are not Mormon.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99670 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a case of zero evidence. As I said, these were friends of mine. I saw the family the week before and then I saw them right after the accident. I saw the scar. I listened to the boy talk about what had happened to him over the weekend. As I said, it healed in minutes, not weeks. It is funny to me the lengths people will go to call my friends liars and make things up to discredit them just because they can't fathom a miracle is possible.
Again they had no reason to embellish. They had nothing to gain because they didn't want this publicized. They didn't want attention from it.
Well you just publicised it against their wishes.
You really cannot even know what reason they made the claim. They might not be telling a lie. They might just be mistaken of how deep the cut was. Their are various possibilities of the story being told wrong. You just assume the story is perfect as happened. Sorry, but I call that gullible.
So you witnessed after the fact? Then you really were not a witness to how deep the cut was at all.
Again, you put one hundred percent trust in the words of men. Sorry, but I do not do this, expecially when the claim is the large and out of reason.
If your friends told you they were abducted by aliens, would you take their word?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99671 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
The writings that we have are inspired but still written by men. I don't contend that the Bible is perfect. The scriptures that we have were written by men that were sometimes writing their understanding of the situation. I'm not sure if the entire earth was flooded. I'm sure it's possible because God could make it happen if He wished. Who's to say that only the part that was inhabited was flooded?
"God could make..." Yes, such a hypothetical entity could make poodles poop popsicles, too - but at least we would find the sticks in our yards.
There are many who believe the Bible is inerrant - regardless of the overwhelming evidences to the contrary.
As has been hashed and rehashed, the Bible states that all the Earth under the entire heavens was flooded covering the mountains. 4500 years ago the regular trading routes extended across parts of 3 continents.
The most recent identifiable genetic bottleneck coincides with the Toba event - 50,000 years ago, not a Noahic event within 5,000 years ago.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99672 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
"Noah bottleneck"? What year was the claimed flood and is their a DNA bottleneck that coincides? I have not heard of any.

So you claim the words of the bible were "inspired". So just what does that mean?

If the bible has some human error, how can one know what is error and what is not? So many Christians cling to every word as if it is perfect.

“Breaking the spell ”

of the puppet master

#99673 Apr 14, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
If god could have flooded the whole earth, then why would it have been unreasonable for him to produce a book written in his own hand in all languages?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Amy mills Johnny smith 13 min hot mom 11
looking 45 min to rent 1
Working for the state, at Knox Central High Sch... 1 hr I am confused 1
County cops and wymt tv news 1 hr Wondering 10
Ashley Judd is F@@@ing stupid 1 hr True dat 3
Anyone know 3 hr Lol 9
jail tracker 3 hr mad dog 1
Knox closed for flood 4 hr Dan 4
Fancy people in D.C. 4 hr joan 16

Barbourville Jobs