Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,013

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99408 Apr 12, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You are very knowledgeable about things that you make up. How about giving reality and facts a try just to see if you can handle it?
Glad someone Finllay asked me that question..
If you go back to what I posted in response to Skeptical Spectacles,on posts number 99279 and 99300,I gave an explanation,intentionally leaving out how those events occurred,hoping that someone would ask me to fill in the blanks.

Let me fill those in,...Read through my explanation and draw your own conclusions.
I had a dog and I loved that dog dearly,as only a dog lover would understand.
Because he was not FIXED,come mating season,he would take off,but always returned the same day.
One day ,he took off and did not return.That night I went to bed,believing that he would show up in the
morning,come morning,he was not there.

I began searching for him by contacting the SPCA,LOST PET PATROL,The Dog Pound.No success.
They did not have him,nor did they have a report of having found a dead dog that fit his description.
That gave me hope that the dog was still alive and somewhere in the neighborhood,That maybe someone had picked him up and had him.

So,I searched my entire neighborhood,by walking up to 4 to 5 hours a day continuously for 3 weeks.
Into the 2nd week of my dog being lost,I decide to put an ad in the morning paper"The Courier Buffalo Express",under lost pets, that would run for a full week,from Saturday to Friday.
The ad contained a description of my dog ,a reward for his return and my phone number.
All the while,I was hurting,the loss of my dog was like losing a member of my family .I wanted him back desperately.I was constantly thinking of him.

After the ad had been placed in the paper,I had received 2 phone calls in response to the ad..One person had found a dog,that partially fit the description I had given "my dog was a labrador retriever/sheoherd mix,Black with tanned markings and a white spot on his chest.
The 2nd call was a crank call.The idiot that called me said that he had found my dog in the middle of the street,had been run over by a truck,laughed and hung up.
Finally,Friday mornig rolls around and everything I have tried has proved futile.My last hope,the ad in the paper,has not solved my problem.
Continued
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99409 Apr 12, 2013
That morning,desperate for a solution,I asked myself,If there is a God,he is the one who could help me.
That made no sense,since I did not believe in God,and if God existed,Why would he help me?
Nevertheles, in my desperation,I had to try.
So,keeping in mind that I had to be in my sales office by 9;30 AM, I left my house and drove to a local Catholic Church,the Church doors were open the church was empty,no Masses were being conducted at that timesince .the time of my arrival was 8;30 AM. I know that was the exact time,because I looked at my watch.

Between 8;30 and 9;00 o'clock I prayed with all my heart (Diligently sought him) and this was my specific prayer" God,I will believe in you,IF,when I walk out the church doors,I will find my dog standing outside,because you are the only one who knows my request and the only one that can make it possible.
When I had finished,I looked at my watch,saw that it was 9:00 o'clock and knowing that I had to be at work by 9'30,that it was time for me to leave.

As I walked to get to the Church door,I faced a tremendous mental struggle.
I had just poured my heart out to a God that I did not think exiisted,but,was HOPING that he did exist.
What was I going to find,once I opened that door?
I opened the door,hoping to find my dog there,as I had requested.The dog was not there.

I can not describe my disappointment,most certainly,by all appearances,my prayer had not been answered.
Thereby,either God did not exist,or,if he did,he certainly had no desire to answer my prayer,or so I thought.
i drove to work,met with my supervisor and told him that I would be out in the field making sales calls.
Instead,I went back to the area where I lived and continued the search for my dog.Still did not find him.
Angry with myself,at having wasted my time,praying to A GOD,that either did not exist,or was unable or unwilling to answer prayers,I came home at about 4;00 PM

I sat down on a chair ,still thinking about my dog and the phone rings.
I answered the phone and a lady at the other end asks me ,if I had placed an ad for a lost dog?. I said yes

"HERE IS WHERE IT Begins to Get logically UNEXPLAINABLE"

She tells me that she read the ad in the paper,and although the description I posted does not seem to fit the dog in question,that she decided to call me anyway.
So,I told her,call out the name Sinbad"that was the dog's name" and see if he responds,I then also,repeated his description to her,Specifically,the white spot on his chest.
Now she tells me that,She can not do that,because ,she is not the one who found the dog, That the one that found the dog was her neighbor, and that the neighbor had given it away to a friend oh hers about 2 weeks earlier and was in good hands

As we are talking,and she is sharing this information with me,I am beginning to get very skeptical.

So I asked her,If the description in the ad,did not seem to fit the description of my Dog,Why did you call me?
What's more,you did not find the dog,the dog has been given to someone that was providing it with a good home,you never established a relationship with the dog,so why are you calling Me?
continued
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99411 Apr 12, 2013
This event did not lead to my having full faith and trust in God and Jesus Christ,but it did provide me with a semblance of faith,,,,Subsequent events that were also resolved as a result of praying to Go in the name of Jesus have resulted in receiving a positive response to my prayers,building my faith gradually,step by step.
So yes,My God is alive and responds to prayer,not because one is good,wealthy,famous or powerful,
But because one DILIGENTLY seeks him,as he has instructed..

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99412 Apr 12, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
I had a dog and I loved that dog dearly,as only a dog lover would understand.
Because he was not FIXED,come mating season,he would take off,but always returned the same day.
One day ,he took off and did not return....
Continued
You're either not really a dog lover, or you're pretty dense.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99413 Apr 12, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
"HERE IS WHERE IT Begins to Get logically UNEXPLAINABLE"
She tells me that she read the ad in the paper,and although the description I posted does not seem to fit the dog in question,that she decided to call me anyway.
So,I told her,call out the name Sinbad"that was the dog's name" and see if he responds,I then also,repeated his description to her,Specifically,the white spot on his chest.
Now she tells me that,She can not do that,because ,she is not the one who found the dog, That the one that found the dog was her neighbor, and that the neighbor had given it away to a friend oh hers about 2 weeks earlier and was in good hands
As we are talking,and she is sharing this information with me,I am beginning to get very skeptical.
So I asked her,If the description in the ad,did not seem to fit the description of my Dog,Why did you call me?
What's more,you did not find the dog,the dog has been given to someone that was providing it with a good home,you never established a relationship with the dog,so why are you calling Me?
continued
Where is the part that can't be explained logically? I must have missed it.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99414 Apr 12, 2013
Question wrote:
<quoted text>
Talking to the dead is a form of witchcraft and devil worship. God was against it .
None the less, it was all the rage in the '20's. As far "God was against it? Except for Lazarus and Jesus, of course. You don't think it odd that nobody freaked out at the time? Nowadays, people would think it was the beginning of a zombie apocalypse. Priests would be genuflecting and preachers would be running to their pickups for their shotguns.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99415 Apr 12, 2013
Summon your god against me, let him do his worst, try his best against me. For I am strong and stand on my own two feet. (Plus I have a chariot of iron)

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99417 Apr 12, 2013
Question wrote:
http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/bigbang.htmearth
link on how the earth was made :(YOUR SCIENTIFIC WAY) So should help yopu learn more on your cult .
1) the link you provided has a syntax error.
2) When you state "how the earth was made" you imply that someone/thing was doing the making - which pretty much betrays any inclination you have of understanding science in the first place.
3) I've never heard anyone call the University of Michigan a "cult." Your definition must be pretty broad. I'm sure someone might find it interesting (not myself). Perhaps you could contact them and find a nice person to discuss it with.
http://www.psych.med.umich.edu/

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99418 Apr 12, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
None the less, it was all the rage in the '20's. As far "God was against it? Except for Lazarus and Jesus, of course. You don't think it odd that nobody freaked out at the time? Nowadays, people would think it was the beginning of a zombie apocalypse. Priests would be genuflecting and preachers would be running to their pickups for their shotguns.
There have been periods when it was fashionable in England. The church not getting a cut, pushed to make it a crime to tell the future and have seances while they promised life after death.
In most European countries it has been popular at one time or another.
It is popular today just wearing a different face

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99419 Apr 12, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, Jesus is not God the Father, and I do believe that Jesus revealed Himself to others. Remember? I'm the guy that believes in the Book of Mormon. Haha
I was asking about god not jesus.
If jesus is god than why does the bible claim he cried out "my god my god why have you forsaken me?"

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99420 Apr 12, 2013
So your god has a "plan" and that plan includes priest raping children, starvation, children being beaten, disease, poor people not getting needed medical treatment, war
Than I say fu ck your god's plan and fu ck your god.
Such evil should not be worshiped, such evil is not love

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99422 Apr 12, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, with all the crap the fundies are saying this is not a formal debate so the spelling/grammar nazi'z can go blow
But nothing is better than replying to a bunch of absolute BS nonsense with a simple correction of grammar. Takes the wind of out the ole self righteous sails. lol

Location hidden

#99424 Apr 12, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
okay, fair enough, I am listening , so will you explain how everything in the universe started. The text I wrote is from online; that is if you can,and don't tell me I that I wouldn't understand anyway. that will only prove to me that you do not know . Waiting Can you ?
My comment was in response to you belittling an idea you obviously do not really understand. You linked to a website with a flashing test at the top...not a good sign. Usually indicates amateur or kooksville authorship. I don't know, I didn't bother to read it. Looks like maybe a student's website? The bibliography had no books written after the mid 90s. Do a casual Google on astronomy in the past decade and you'll see that this has been the most exciting, rapidly changing time for astronomy in many decades. In other words, the article is way out of date.

If I could tell you how the universe started there would be a name for me: famous.

I have no idea how it started. The theory we have is based on observation and evidence. It could easily be wrong. The universe is a really big place, you know. But guess what? Science is all about finding truth. Unlike religion, which starts out with an answer and works its way out from there, science starts with questions. Sometimes the answers change. But always they are the best we have at the moment.

Beautiful, isn't it?
ever consider

Morehead, KY

#99425 Apr 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
The Funny part is that You have No Idea of the subject and then can't understand even the simple explanations of first principles... You say things like Unknown Substance , it was not a Substance and it's still all around you, in you and is what E-Mc2 speaks of and that is the "Unknown Substance" you get when a Nuke detonates...
Check this,,,, If we removed All Space in your body and could compress it so that all physical particles were touching you would be a Billion times smaller than the nucleus of a Helium atom...
Just because you haven't the knowledge base or education to understand only makes a sad statement at the status of our education system.... You actually don't even understand that planets, stars, Galaxies don't "Weigh" anything ... Weight is only relativistic to a frame of reference inertial mass... And is why a Astronaut only "Weigh" 1/6 of Earth when on the Moon...
OK Old Dude- Weightless ?-Don't think so. You do know I presume that an asteroid is in fact just a smaller version of a planet? If not look it up. Well as you read this you will see that just an asteroid weighs average of 143,000 tons!! Read this :FROM THE ARCHIVES: Asteroids:

As TIME reports in this week’s issue (available to subscribers here), astronomers have known for the better part of a year that asteroid 2012 DA14—a medium sized, 150 ft (50 m) rock weighing 143,000 tons—was closing in on us. They knew that it would miss us too, by 17,200 miles (27,700 km).
Read more: http://science.time.com/2013/02/14/asteroid-h... -

PS If we removed the hot air in your puffed up mind ,you would cease to exist.

Location hidden

#99426 Apr 12, 2013
TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, of anything worthwhile to ever aspire to-atheism would NEVER be one of them.
Mostly because if you look at some of the posts on this board that claim such, some are by far more vile, hatefilled and degenerate sounding, than ANY "Christian" this human has ever met.
Ugh. Such wretchedness.
A person can have an opinion about God and be a real a**hole, atheist or not. So I don't understand where you have a problem.

What is it about atheism that bothers you? It is the rejection of belief in a god or gods. Simple, case closed, noting else to it.

Do you get upset at people who don't collect stamps or don't play golf or don't like country music?

Location hidden

#99427 Apr 12, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
This event did not lead to my having full faith and trust in God and Jesus Christ,but it did provide me with a semblance of faith,,,,Subsequent events that were also resolved as a result of praying to Go in the name of Jesus have resulted in receiving a positive response to my prayers,building my faith gradually,step by step.
So yes,My God is alive and responds to prayer,not because one is good,wealthy,famous or powerful,
But because one DILIGENTLY seeks him,as he has instructed..
Like some of the other posters I cannot figure out what in the name of all that is good you are actually trying to say. What part of this story was illogical or defied explanation?

You lost your dog. You put out an ad. Someone knew someone who found a dog. She called you. I assume you got your dog back.

Where's the miracle?

If this is your bar for believing in God then you were NEVER an agnostic or atheist in the first place. It is quite different to never examine this question and default to one position or another than it is to actually think about it deeply and come to a state of belief or lack of belief.

I'm happy you found your dog. It's awesome! But it's not proof of god. No way, no how.

What you have is faith. No evidence required. Just a willingness to believe something that makes you feel good.

Location hidden

#99428 Apr 12, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Old Dude- Weightless ?-Don't think so. You do know I presume that an asteroid is in fact just a smaller version of a planet? If not look it up. Well as you read this you will see that just an asteroid weighs average of 143,000 tons!! Read this :FROM THE ARCHIVES: Asteroids:
As TIME reports in this week’s issue (available to subscribers here), astronomers have known for the better part of a year that asteroid 2012 DA14—a medium sized, 150 ft (50 m) rock weighing 143,000 tons—was closing in on us. They knew that it would miss us too, by 17,200 miles (27,700 km).
PS If we removed the hot air in your puffed up mind ,you would cease to exist.
That's 143,000 tons *relative to* Earth. In space it certainly does not weight 143,000 tons. Different worlds have different atmospheres, different gravity.

That's the point Q was making. Weight is relative to the world on which something is being weighed.

Location hidden

#99429 Apr 12, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
So your god has a "plan" and that plan includes priest raping children, starvation, children being beaten, disease, poor people not getting needed medical treatment, war
Than I say fu ck your god's plan and fu ck your god.
Such evil should not be worshiped, such evil is not love
You can brow beat a Christian all day long with the Problem of Evil but it won't stick. They usually go with Free Will as their escape plan. Then you point out that a baby dying of a horrible disease does not involve Free Will. So they go for the "God's plan is too big for us to see."

If they go for that, ask them if they can't fathom God's moral thinking then how on earth do they claim ANY knowledge about anything God says at all? If God can watch a baby raped and murdered and somehow it's all part of his plan...then can't God also be telling massive lies in the Bible as part of that same plan?

And if that's the case, how do they know which parts of the Bible are the lies and which the truths, if any?

Ah....logic is not the domain of faith.

Location hidden

#99430 Apr 12, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I was asking about god not jesus.
If jesus is god than why does the bible claim he cried out "my god my god why have you forsaken me?"
Depends on which of the Gospels you read. The first one, Mark, doesn't refer to Jesus as God. I think as you read the other Gospels they speak more and more of Jesus being divine. The myth grows in the telling.
ever consider

Morehead, KY

#99431 Apr 12, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
My comment was in response to you belittling an idea you obviously do not really understand. You linked to a website with a flashing test at the top...not a good sign. Usually indicates amateur or kooksville authorship. I don't know, I didn't bother to read it. Looks like maybe a student's website? The bibliography had no books written after the mid 90s. Do a casual Google on astronomy in the past decade and you'll see that this has been the most exciting, rapidly changing time for astronomy in many decades. In other words, the article is way out of date.
If I could tell you how the universe started there would be a name for me: famous.
I have no idea how it started. The theory we have is based on observation and evidence. It could easily be wrong. The universe is a really big place, you know. But guess what? Science is all about finding truth. Unlike religion, which starts out with an answer and works its way out from there, science starts with questions. Sometimes the answers change. But always they are the best we have at the moment.
Beautiful, isn't it?
I am a believer in God. WHY? answer , "Because I am smart enough to know that I am not wise enough to figure out the universe". Beautiful ,isn't it ?So I do not even think about how everything was made. Remember Einstein ,he became so involved in scientific research ,he forgot how to tie his shoes. We need science to study ways to improve our health,do research to invent new more modern inventions and etc. But man can not figure out the mystery of how or why we are all here. So friend ,I hope you find peace and enjoy this life ,not worrying over trivial things which matter less. PS - In my family we have doctors,nurses,psychologist,an d a radiologist. So yes we know something about science.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min The Apostle 153,258
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 10 min real talk 4,638
Tax tax and more tax 2 hr Jack 3
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 2 hr really 13
what 2 hr who 1
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 2 hr really 26,271
Dependable lawn service 3 hr Looking 1
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••