Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,592

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99424 Apr 12, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
okay, fair enough, I am listening , so will you explain how everything in the universe started. The text I wrote is from online; that is if you can,and don't tell me I that I wouldn't understand anyway. that will only prove to me that you do not know . Waiting Can you ?
My comment was in response to you belittling an idea you obviously do not really understand. You linked to a website with a flashing test at the top...not a good sign. Usually indicates amateur or kooksville authorship. I don't know, I didn't bother to read it. Looks like maybe a student's website? The bibliography had no books written after the mid 90s. Do a casual Google on astronomy in the past decade and you'll see that this has been the most exciting, rapidly changing time for astronomy in many decades. In other words, the article is way out of date.

If I could tell you how the universe started there would be a name for me: famous.

I have no idea how it started. The theory we have is based on observation and evidence. It could easily be wrong. The universe is a really big place, you know. But guess what? Science is all about finding truth. Unlike religion, which starts out with an answer and works its way out from there, science starts with questions. Sometimes the answers change. But always they are the best we have at the moment.

Beautiful, isn't it?
ever consider

Morehead, KY

#99425 Apr 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
The Funny part is that You have No Idea of the subject and then can't understand even the simple explanations of first principles... You say things like Unknown Substance , it was not a Substance and it's still all around you, in you and is what E-Mc2 speaks of and that is the "Unknown Substance" you get when a Nuke detonates...
Check this,,,, If we removed All Space in your body and could compress it so that all physical particles were touching you would be a Billion times smaller than the nucleus of a Helium atom...
Just because you haven't the knowledge base or education to understand only makes a sad statement at the status of our education system.... You actually don't even understand that planets, stars, Galaxies don't "Weigh" anything ... Weight is only relativistic to a frame of reference inertial mass... And is why a Astronaut only "Weigh" 1/6 of Earth when on the Moon...
OK Old Dude- Weightless ?-Don't think so. You do know I presume that an asteroid is in fact just a smaller version of a planet? If not look it up. Well as you read this you will see that just an asteroid weighs average of 143,000 tons!! Read this :FROM THE ARCHIVES: Asteroids:

As TIME reports in this week’s issue (available to subscribers here), astronomers have known for the better part of a year that asteroid 2012 DA14—a medium sized, 150 ft (50 m) rock weighing 143,000 tons—was closing in on us. They knew that it would miss us too, by 17,200 miles (27,700 km).
Read more: http://science.time.com/2013/02/14/asteroid-h... -

PS If we removed the hot air in your puffed up mind ,you would cease to exist.

Location hidden

#99426 Apr 12, 2013
TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Personally, of anything worthwhile to ever aspire to-atheism would NEVER be one of them.
Mostly because if you look at some of the posts on this board that claim such, some are by far more vile, hatefilled and degenerate sounding, than ANY "Christian" this human has ever met.
Ugh. Such wretchedness.
A person can have an opinion about God and be a real a**hole, atheist or not. So I don't understand where you have a problem.

What is it about atheism that bothers you? It is the rejection of belief in a god or gods. Simple, case closed, noting else to it.

Do you get upset at people who don't collect stamps or don't play golf or don't like country music?

Location hidden

#99427 Apr 12, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
This event did not lead to my having full faith and trust in God and Jesus Christ,but it did provide me with a semblance of faith,,,,Subsequent events that were also resolved as a result of praying to Go in the name of Jesus have resulted in receiving a positive response to my prayers,building my faith gradually,step by step.
So yes,My God is alive and responds to prayer,not because one is good,wealthy,famous or powerful,
But because one DILIGENTLY seeks him,as he has instructed..
Like some of the other posters I cannot figure out what in the name of all that is good you are actually trying to say. What part of this story was illogical or defied explanation?

You lost your dog. You put out an ad. Someone knew someone who found a dog. She called you. I assume you got your dog back.

Where's the miracle?

If this is your bar for believing in God then you were NEVER an agnostic or atheist in the first place. It is quite different to never examine this question and default to one position or another than it is to actually think about it deeply and come to a state of belief or lack of belief.

I'm happy you found your dog. It's awesome! But it's not proof of god. No way, no how.

What you have is faith. No evidence required. Just a willingness to believe something that makes you feel good.

Location hidden

#99428 Apr 12, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
OK Old Dude- Weightless ?-Don't think so. You do know I presume that an asteroid is in fact just a smaller version of a planet? If not look it up. Well as you read this you will see that just an asteroid weighs average of 143,000 tons!! Read this :FROM THE ARCHIVES: Asteroids:
As TIME reports in this week’s issue (available to subscribers here), astronomers have known for the better part of a year that asteroid 2012 DA14—a medium sized, 150 ft (50 m) rock weighing 143,000 tons—was closing in on us. They knew that it would miss us too, by 17,200 miles (27,700 km).
PS If we removed the hot air in your puffed up mind ,you would cease to exist.
That's 143,000 tons *relative to* Earth. In space it certainly does not weight 143,000 tons. Different worlds have different atmospheres, different gravity.

That's the point Q was making. Weight is relative to the world on which something is being weighed.

Location hidden

#99429 Apr 12, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
So your god has a "plan" and that plan includes priest raping children, starvation, children being beaten, disease, poor people not getting needed medical treatment, war
Than I say fu ck your god's plan and fu ck your god.
Such evil should not be worshiped, such evil is not love
You can brow beat a Christian all day long with the Problem of Evil but it won't stick. They usually go with Free Will as their escape plan. Then you point out that a baby dying of a horrible disease does not involve Free Will. So they go for the "God's plan is too big for us to see."

If they go for that, ask them if they can't fathom God's moral thinking then how on earth do they claim ANY knowledge about anything God says at all? If God can watch a baby raped and murdered and somehow it's all part of his plan...then can't God also be telling massive lies in the Bible as part of that same plan?

And if that's the case, how do they know which parts of the Bible are the lies and which the truths, if any?

Ah....logic is not the domain of faith.

Location hidden

#99430 Apr 12, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I was asking about god not jesus.
If jesus is god than why does the bible claim he cried out "my god my god why have you forsaken me?"
Depends on which of the Gospels you read. The first one, Mark, doesn't refer to Jesus as God. I think as you read the other Gospels they speak more and more of Jesus being divine. The myth grows in the telling.
ever consider

Morehead, KY

#99431 Apr 12, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
My comment was in response to you belittling an idea you obviously do not really understand. You linked to a website with a flashing test at the top...not a good sign. Usually indicates amateur or kooksville authorship. I don't know, I didn't bother to read it. Looks like maybe a student's website? The bibliography had no books written after the mid 90s. Do a casual Google on astronomy in the past decade and you'll see that this has been the most exciting, rapidly changing time for astronomy in many decades. In other words, the article is way out of date.
If I could tell you how the universe started there would be a name for me: famous.
I have no idea how it started. The theory we have is based on observation and evidence. It could easily be wrong. The universe is a really big place, you know. But guess what? Science is all about finding truth. Unlike religion, which starts out with an answer and works its way out from there, science starts with questions. Sometimes the answers change. But always they are the best we have at the moment.
Beautiful, isn't it?
I am a believer in God. WHY? answer , "Because I am smart enough to know that I am not wise enough to figure out the universe". Beautiful ,isn't it ?So I do not even think about how everything was made. Remember Einstein ,he became so involved in scientific research ,he forgot how to tie his shoes. We need science to study ways to improve our health,do research to invent new more modern inventions and etc. But man can not figure out the mystery of how or why we are all here. So friend ,I hope you find peace and enjoy this life ,not worrying over trivial things which matter less. PS - In my family we have doctors,nurses,psychologist,an d a radiologist. So yes we know something about science.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#99432 Apr 12, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
That's 143,000 tons *relative to* Earth. In space it certainly does not weight 143,000 tons. Different worlds have different atmospheres, different gravity.
That's the point Q was making. Weight is relative to the world on which something is being weighed.
You know that is too much information for a fundie to grasp.
You are just messing with his/her little mind huh? Because the christian cult hates information and facts. Truth is their greatest fear

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99433 Apr 12, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You can brow beat a Christian all day long with the Problem of Evil but it won't stick. They usually go with Free Will as their escape plan. Then you point out that a baby dying of a horrible disease does not involve Free Will. So they go for the "God's plan is too big for us to see."
If they go for that, ask them if they can't fathom God's moral thinking then how on earth do they claim ANY knowledge about anything God says at all? If God can watch a baby raped and murdered and somehow it's all part of his plan...then can't God also be telling massive lies in the Bible as part of that same plan?
And if that's the case, how do they know which parts of the Bible are the lies and which the truths, if any?
Ah....logic is not the domain of faith.
I am stealing this to post on Alva Satanic churches FB page. I will give you credit

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99434 Apr 12, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
I am a believer in God. WHY? answer , "Because I am smart enough to know that I am not wise enough to figure out the universe". Beautiful ,isn't it ?So I do not even think about how everything was made. Remember Einstein ,he became so involved in scientific research ,he forgot how to tie his shoes. We need science to study ways to improve our health,do research to invent new more modern inventions and etc. But man can not figure out the mystery of how or why we are all here. So friend ,I hope you find peace and enjoy this life ,not worrying over trivial things which matter less. PS - In my family we have doctors,nurses,psychologist,an d a radiologist. So yes we know something about science.
No, you are a believer in god because you are not smart enough to look for answers so you fall back on superstition and myth

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99435 Apr 12, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Depends on which of the Gospels you read. The first one, Mark, doesn't refer to Jesus as God. I think as you read the other Gospels they speak more and more of Jesus being divine. The myth grows in the telling.
Until jesus becomes a white American republican that loves every one except the poor and believes war is good because America blah blah blah

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99436 Apr 12, 2013
@ ever consider
Morehead, KY
Have you ever considered that you worship a god that Arabs invented to justify their murder, rape, theft and promote themselves?
Have you ever considered that your god and your jesus are towel head Arabs not white Americans?
ever consider

Morehead, KY

#99438 Apr 12, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>No, you are a believer in god because you are not smart enough to look for answers so you fall back on superstition and myth
I feel so sorry for all you "haters ". I pray that whether you believe in God or not that you stop hating. Just relax ,who cares. I do not waste my time hating those who believe in evolution,you have that right. No one cares .I am going to watch a movie ,and enjoy a snack.Goodnight .No actually goodbye,I like Topix but this subject has been discussed over ,over and over.:)

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99439 Apr 12, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
Fair is fair. I'll read the article and give you my honest opinion. Will you be willing to read an article I pick and give me your honest opinion? Or even something a little more simple since I know how you feel about sites labeled as Apostate. How about just answering a question or two without the using copy/paste?
It is against the christian belief to be honest and tell the truth
curious

Ocoee, FL

#99442 Apr 12, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is the part that can't be explained logically? I must have missed it.
My good man
I t is there,very plain to see.Go back and read SLOWLY,what I posted. If you still can not understand it,that is not my fault.
That you may understand it,and are unable to adequately respond is another matter altogether
Known Fact

Cocoa Beach, FL

#99443 Apr 12, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
Here's a link to the article.
http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/w...
I'm glad you know how to axcess the jw website. If you ever want help you know where to turn.
Well at least I tried.

Location hidden

#99444 Apr 12, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that is a terrible way to view the world. You don't know everything......therefore God? That's a logical fallacy right off the bat. Argument from Ignorance, I think.

Also, it sounds like you are saying that science is only useful insofar as it does not dive into questions you feel are answered only by God. But science does not actually have such a boundary.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#99446 Apr 12, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
You left out that your family also had a Goofy Guy in it...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#99447 Apr 12, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that is a terrible way to view the world. You don't know everything......therefore God? That's a logical fallacy right off the bat. Argument from Ignorance, I think.
Also, it sounds like you are saying that science is only useful insofar as it does not dive into questions you feel are answered only by God. But science does not actually have such a boundary.
A good movie to watch....
http://youtu.be/xAWf3F8_zQk

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Darren k west pickup Sampson lane election signs 48 min Neighbor 1
Darren k west come to catron ave get your signs 54 min Ruth 4
moma screwer 3 hr BBP 7
Darren k west please pick up political signs 3 hr Please 8
Darren west pick up your Election signs PLEASE... 3 hr Please Darren 19
Darren k west clean up your signs 6 hr Jerry 8
Barbourville High School 11 hr lolol 6
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Mon beeraholic 49
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Barbourville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Barbourville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:30 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:30PM
Titans Release Veteran LB Phillips
NBC Sports 2:47 PM
Titans release Shaun Phillips, place Brian Schwenke on injured reserve
Bleacher Report 8:54 PM
What Experts Are Saying About Bucs vs. Bengals?
NBC Sports 7:03 AM
Report: Devon Still hasn't paid child support since July
Bleacher Report 8:25 AM
Mercurial Justin Hunter Continues to Disappoint