Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments (Page 4,743)

Showing posts 94,841 - 94,860 of127,868
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

barnabas gilbert wrote:
kids today need guide lines i think it wood be good because this country was built on religen we should go on with it teach them morals in life
This country was built on industry and personal rights/individual freedom. In no way was this country built on religion, in fact just the opposite as our fore fathers saw fit to protect us from the christian cult.
Nothing makes nothing

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

The New Testament plainly states we are no longer under the law(But the ten commandments are still to be followed ). Romans 6:15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law ? NO.
bible.cc/romans/6-15.htmKing James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) What then? shall we ... Weymouth New Testament Are we therefore to sin because we are no longer under the authority of Law, but under grace? No, indeed!.... Romans Chapter 6 Verse 15. Alphabetical:...
Jesus rebuked many things the followers of the old bible did. He showed them to be kind and filled with love for everyone. As previously stated by someone,Jesus stopped the stoning of the woman caught in adultery. Jesus rebuked them for allowing divorce (except that your spouse committed adultery ,Jesus told Peter to put away his sword,and Jesus then restored and put back the ear of the man (who came to kill Jesus ). I think,
since Jesus told them that these things were not be done,it proves (at least to me ) that there were other instances where the Jews did not always do what god wanted.
I may be wrong ,but I follow more so the New Testament (I could do better on this to ,I am sure !) Jesus shows great LOVE ,where as the old testament has a lot of killing. I am no longer under the old law ,but my faith is in Jesus,who wants us to love,not stone,not kill.
Nothing makes nothing

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Being related (I suppose so,that I may well be ,since my grandfather was a Jew)I am so glad that I accept Jesus as my savor ,where as the Jews who were so sit in their old beliefs rejected HIM. And actually cried crucify Jesus .So we can see from this they chose not believe in Jesus.(so again this shows me that everything the Jews did was not of God. ( Or at the very least ,held a lot hate and bitterness )

“There is no god”

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Nothing makes nothing wrote:
The New Testament plainly states we are no longer under the law(But the ten commandments are still to be followed ). Romans 6:15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under the law ? NO.
bible.cc/romans/6-15.htmKing James Bible (Cambridge Ed.) What then? shall we ... Weymouth New Testament Are we therefore to sin because we are no longer under the authority of Law, but under grace? No, indeed!.... Romans Chapter 6 Verse 15. Alphabetical:...
Jesus rebuked many things the followers of the old bible did. He showed them to be kind and filled with love for everyone. As previously stated by someone,Jesus stopped the stoning of the woman caught in adultery. Jesus rebuked them for allowing divorce (except that your spouse committed adultery ,Jesus told Peter to put away his sword,and Jesus then restored and put back the ear of the man (who came to kill Jesus ). I think,
since Jesus told them that these things were not be done,it proves (at least to me ) that there were other instances where the Jews did not always do what god wanted.
I may be wrong ,but I follow more so the New Testament (I could do better on this to ,I am sure !) Jesus shows great LOVE ,where as the old testament has a lot of killing. I am no longer under the old law ,but my faith is in Jesus,who wants us to love,not stone,not kill.
While I do not believe that there is a god or jesus.
It is evident that the god of the old testament not being acceptable to people a NEW god was created in your jesus.
If you dismiss the god part for a moment, if you believe that people should be kind and helpful to others, that evil is when some one harms another, i agree with you. But if, IF, it is about elevating yourself above others, defaming others just to elevate yourself, social status, controlling others than I am against you.
Fair enough?

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

God probably laughs at all of us,trying to" Disprove God" is as absurd as scientist proving how the earth was made. They say it is billions of years old,yet man in his own imagined infallible egoist way,thinks he can figure it all out! What E G O and self-righteousness!
Who & what books are available to prove any of this insanity of evolution? ;The books would need to be billions of years old !
Either believe in God, or admit that,"We do not believe in God,but we have no idea how everything was created !"
You have a 3rd answer ? Let's hear it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch...
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

<quoted text>
Your faith is an inspiration to those who believe:and very much needed in this world of so many turning from faith in God. Thank you so much for sharing especially on how God answered your prayer at a critical time. I can relate to this ,it brings back memories of a time when God answered my prayer when nothing or no one could help.Jesus did. Praise unto our Lord Jesus forever brother. Love & prayers Friend
When we share our faith with others,who also believe,our faith is strenghthened,due to the fact that,we came to believe in God and Christ and to attain unto faith,by employing the same teachings contained in the Bible,thereby confirming their validity.
We have tried it,we have tested it and found it to be true AND neither Science or human wisdom is capable of invalidating that which we have experienced and believe in
As you have stated"Praise unto our Lord Jesus forever"
God Bless you,in the name of Jesus

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
When we share our faith with others,who also believe,our faith is strenghthened,due to the fact that,we came to believe in God and Christ and to attain unto faith,by employing the same teachings contained in the Bible,thereby confirming their validity.
We have tried it,we have tested it and found it to be true AND neither Science or human wisdom is capable of invalidating that which we have experienced and believe in
As you have stated"Praise unto our Lord Jesus forever"
God Bless you,in the name of Jesus
"...neither Science or human wisdom is capable of invalidating..."

Sounds good when you say it fast and ignore the brain scan and mapping studies.
Nothing makes nothing

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>While I do not believe that there is a god or jesus.
It is evident that the god of the old testament not being acceptable to people a NEW god was created in your jesus.
If you dismiss the god part for a moment, if you believe that people should be kind and helpful to others, that evil is when some one harms another, i agree with you. But if, IF, it is about elevating yourself above others, defaming others just to elevate yourself, social status, controlling others than I am against you.
Fair enough?
No the opposite my friend Jesus wants us to humble :The phrase originates from the Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament. In the Gospel of Matthew, an alternative for "an eye for an eye" is given by Jesus:
38 ¶ Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:
39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
40 And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
41 And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.
42 Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.
—Matthew 5:38–5:42 KJV
In the Sermon on the Plain[1] in the Gospel of Luke, as part of his command to "love your enemies", Jesus says:
27 ¶ But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,
28 Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.
29 And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other; and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.
30 Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.
31 And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.
—Luke 6:27–31 KJV
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Are you here to argue that the bible should be taught in schools? You have argued that creation by god should be taught in schools haven't you?
The christian cult does this all of the time. I have told people that want to preach at me that I do not believe in the bible and do not want to be preached at so they nag and preach harder until I wear my sigle of Baphomet than they condemn me because I do not follow their cult
Again you err;
your 2 previous allegations,you were unable to substantiate.
Your new allegation,that,I have argued in favor of the Bible being taught in public schools,is also wrong AND you provide no evidence to support that allegation.
I can only assume that,because of your inability to refute the basis for my faith,you need to resort to try and discredit me by attributing to me,things I never said.
That old deceptive strategy does not work.The Pharissees tried the same strategy with Jesus.
Jesus healed a blind man,whom.many witnesses knew to have been blind.The Pharissees,could not deny that Jesus had restored the sight of one blind from birth.So,they tried to discredit him by attributing his powers to sorcery and the devil,without providing any evidence to support those allegations.
Jesus never attributed his powers to sorcery or the devil,He claimed his powers came from the Father.
Nothing makes nothing

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

We were robbed a few years back,when one of them who was believed to be in on the robbery (we were not at home at the time of the robbery) well anyway when he came to our home drugged out,and and needing help,we took him in. We gave him food ,clothes and a bed .

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Not the best excuses. I say again, why did the Jesus not write the words if his ideas were so complex? Why leave it to those who were so confused as you claim?
Better yet why didn't an all knowing, all powerful God write all his rules down on some light weight indestructible non erasable or editable note pads....

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>In the beginning... He made them male, and female!
Is not a vagina made for a penis?
That is a Biblical fact... even if you do not want to believe that!
Fact is fact!
Thanks again for
proving God, and the Bible to be true!
Good day:-)
So why does a penis fit into a goat? I saw pictures.... And why do vaginas fit a wide range of household items and small ponies... Again, I saw pictures...
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
"...neither Science or human wisdom is capable of invalidating..."
Sounds good when you say it fast and ignore the brain scan and mapping studies.
When WE,"believers",say it,it is based on the fact that,WE,have experienced it.Thereby,we are able to attest to it's validity.

Unbelievers,on the other hand,since they neither understand,nor know how Faith ans belief in God brings about the results and changes that we have experienced,are the least qualified to try and explain the basis for our beliefs.
You know nothing about the process,you understand nothing about the process,thereby you are totally unqualified to opine on something you knw nothing about

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
When WE,"believers",say it,it is based on the fact that,WE,have experienced it.Thereby,we are able to attest to it's validity.
Unbelievers,on the other hand,since they neither understand,nor know how Faith ans belief in God brings about the results and changes that we have experienced,are the least qualified to try and explain the basis for our beliefs.
You know nothing about the process,you understand nothing about the process,thereby you are totally unqualified to opine on something you knw nothing about
So then we should follow anyone that talks to invisible people that hear voices in their heads that tell them to do stuff and get tingles down their legs.... I know where there is a building full full to the brim with such people, albeit they are kept lock into rooms with limited access to sharp objects....

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You'd like to think that wouldn't you? The problem with your post here...well, one problem with your post here is the fact that almost every "unbeliever" is a former "believer". So, we're very well qualified to opine on this subject.
Nothing makes nothing

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>While I do not believe that there is a god or jesus.
Fair enough?
Yes very fair.I agree.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
As has previously attested to, you are unqualified to determine my qualifications in such personal arenas as faith and belief. You are NOT as unique - or Special - as you would like to Believe. "On the other hand," specific observations can be and have been made of brain chemistry, physiology and activity in cases and feelings of religious experiences.

"You know nothing about the process,you understand nothing about the process,thereby you are totally unqualified to opine on something you knw nothing about"
That is a statement known as "false witnessing."
As always, I find myself needing to remind the Christian, MIND YOUR 9TH COMMANDMENT.
GWB

Rancho Cordova, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Do believe in the gift of tongues? What about laying on of hands gift healing?
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Then why, for the love of sanity, do you keep trying to treat them as equals? They are not interchangeable, but your arguments are based on them being on equal footing.
<quoted text>
I am not treating Faith and Science as equals. My faith and belief in God is not based on a Scientific Experiment.
Science is incapable of providing answers to specific prayer requests
,My belief in God and my faith are able to and have done so. In no way,could science or a scientist be able to provide an answer to the SPECIFIC requests that I made to GOD,as there was no scientific solution to the problem I was addressing in my prayer.
Quote Spectacle wrote
Everything you just described exemplifies what I'm saying. It is not evidence. It's emotionally charged experiences. The fact that you don't understand everything that happens around you is no reason to inject magic. Good things happen sometimes, bad things happen sometimes, it's life. Sometimes things work out...sometimes they don't. We live in a very complex system. Even if you think you lead a simple life, you're exposed to enormous amount of external factors that can affect you (both positively and negatively) on a daily basis.
I also know that I can talk myself into things. It's relatively easy... especially over an extended period of time.(e.g., "I should buy a jet ski"). If it's something you want, your mind will find ways to reinforce the belief (e.g., "I'll feel younger if I owned a jet ski") sometimes to the point of absurdity. Couple this with our ability to pattern match (something that ensured our ancestor's survival) and you have a recipe for finding "proof" that really is just coincidence (or more complicated than you can process...which quickly goes into chaos vs. complexity theories that are way out of my mental grasp).
Yes,it is true ,good things happen and bad things happen....States that in the Bible,not necessarily in those same words.
But your explanation is missing a very serious point.
First of all,I was not praying for material things,I was praying for a resolution to problems that I was encountering in my life,for which,Science could not provide an answer and neither could I.
And not for lack of trying, I tried very hard to resolve those problems,to the point,that in some instances,drove me to tears.
To sit around,waiting for time to resolve the problem ,WAS NOT the solution.
Finally,in desperation,I decided to pray to a God that I really did not believe in,with the HOPE that,if he did exist,he would respond to my prayer
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2013

Judged:

I went to a Catholic Church located a few blocks from where I lived
I was praying from 8;30AM to 9;00 am.
My prayer was very specific," God ,this is my problem,if you respond in this manner with a solutionr,I will believe in you"
That prayer was so specific as to include a time frame,which was,as soon as I walked out the door,I would receive a response.
When I walked out the door,the response was not there.That certainly was a disappointment and gave me no reason to believe in God.
It wasn't till later on that day,at 4;00pm that I received a phone call. The information provided me by the person who called,unbeknownst to her,provided me with the answer to my prayer.
Now,was my prayer answered at the time I had requested,,,,,Yes it was;
The lady who called me,informed me that she had called my home to provide me with this information at 9;00 am that morning,,precisely the time when I was leaving the church..
To go into all the details of this experience,would take time and you would still not believe me.
But ,I know the details,because I lived them.
How ever ,that experience did not cause my faith to blossom into fruition,but,it did arouse my curiosity. Subsequent events that I experienced ,which can not be explained by Science,caused my faith to grow.The bible states that God will test ypur faith in order to refine it.
As he tested me,and I looked to him for solutions,those solutions were provided,thereby my belief in God and my faith.
My faith,which you do not understand,is not an emotionally charged experience,as you claim.
Emotionally charged experiences do not have the power or ability to answer prayer,therby making your explanation ,null and void,with no facts to support your views.
Since you do not believe,then,you must try to explain the basis for my faith with an irrational explanation.
And, no.I don't feel persecuted,nor do I believe that you are persecuting me;
I have a very strong belief in God,you do not..
Therby ,we differ....
To you,my beliefs are a problem
To me,My belief in God and Jesus Christ,has proved to be an undescribeable source of joy

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 94,841 - 94,860 of127,868
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

63 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Let's Play Word Association (Nov '08) 13 min Hatti_Hollerand 3,737
shelia brown (May '12) 42 min Wow 11
trail camera 46 min stephanie 14
free phones for anybody that gets food stamps o... 54 min dipchit 3
New mayor and City council raise waterpark ... 57 min thunker 17
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr RepubliTRASH 144,688
Do people still cruise the strip on weekends? 2 hr gator 12
patrick baker arrested for donald mills murder 6 hr FarePrey 372
KC Basketball Coach 21 hr breaking news 49
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••