Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
94,821 - 94,840 of 130,597 Comments Last updated 6 min ago

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#99260 Apr 11, 2013
nothing makes something wrote:
<quoted text>
Open the bible to the New Testament ,everything written in red is a direct quote of Jesus . No one is asking or making you or your family,or your friends believe in God. so why care if others do. you can believe what you want ,but do not tell lies about the bible or God. You can chose any religion or no religion ,or worship the devil,or worship evolution. your choice . Blessings my friend.
What is in red is a claim of what Jesus said. "Claim" is the key word here. Some of the red words differ from one book to the next. One claims Jesus forgives them for they know not what they do, the other claims he asks god why he has been forsaken.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99261 Apr 11, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The role of science is to understand and explain that which occurs in the Natural World. Faith is not based on that foundation
Therefore Faith can not be proven or tested by Scientific Methods.
Then why, for the love of sanity, do you keep trying to treat them as equals? They are not interchangeable, but your arguments are based on them being on equal footing.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to repeat something I previously posted.
When I was an Agnostic,and had no faith,...
I decided to try and see if this God I did not believe in,could help me.
I prayed for a solution and during the time I was praying,unbeknownst to me,my prayer was answered,but not in the manner that I had requested. I found out about it 7 hours later
Now,I know the circumstances under which that prayer was answered,but,could not figure out logically,what caused those circumstances.

Over the years my faith was tested in many different ways.
Other Requests that I made to God,in prayer,for which I could find no solution,were answered,some,overnight,some within a few weeks,without any further effort on my part.
Each time a request was answered,my faith grew more and more.
So what you describe as strong feelings,is erroneous,I have a strong belief,based on the responses thay I have received.
If they had not been answered,would only have confirmed what I,then believed...There is no God.
Let me ask you a question,I know you are an Atheist and you would never pray to something you don't believe in
But,let us suppose,that,like myself,you found yourself in a grievious situation which you could not resolve and in desperation you decided to test God ,not that you believe in him,but,HOPINGN that there is a GOD and HOPING that he will respond, And to your joy and surprise,that prayer is answered Subsequent prayers,are also answered in like fashion....What would you conclude?
Thai is the basis for my belief in God and my faith...Not on emotions ,feelings or the opinion of others,but based on the FACT that I know my prayers were answered.
The evidence you are looking for WILLnot be found in a laboratory,as only God is capable of providing that evidence
Everything you just described exemplifies what I'm saying. It is not evidence. It's emotionally charged experiences. The fact that you don't understand everything that happens around you is no reason to inject magic. Good things happen sometimes, bad things happen sometimes, it's life. Sometimes things work out...sometimes they don't. We live in a very complex system. Even if you think you lead a simple life, you're exposed to enormous amount of external factors that can affect you (both positively and negatively) on a daily basis.
I also know that I can talk myself into things. It's relatively easy... especially over an extended period of time.(e.g., "I should buy a jet ski"). If it's something you want, your mind will find ways to reinforce the belief (e.g., "I'll feel younger if I owned a jet ski") sometimes to the point of absurdity. Couple this with our ability to pattern match (something that ensured our ancestor's survival) and you have a recipe for finding "proof" that really is just coincidence (or more complicated than you can process...which quickly goes into chaos vs. complexity theories that are way out of my mental grasp).
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Insofar as your having no respect for me,If that is what you feel,so be it. If,in order to gain your respect,I have to deny what God has accomplished in my life,I can not and will not do it.
Not only for you,,Not for anybody ,including my parents,my wife ,my kids and everything I hold dear.
Quit playing the victim, that song is getting old. I said I'd have more respect for you if you just admitted that your faith was illogical / irrational. No one is persecuting you.

Location hidden

#99263 Apr 11, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
The role of science is to understand and explain that which occurs in the Natural World. Faith is not based on that foundation
Therefore Faith can not be proven or tested by Scientific Methods.
Then why, for the love of sanity, do you keep trying to treat them as equals? They are not interchangeable, but your arguments are based on them being on equal footing.
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
I am going to repeat something I previously posted.
When I was an Agnostic,and had no faith,...
I decided to try and see if this God I did not believe in,could help me.
Over the years my faith was tested in many different ways.
Other Requests that I made to God,in prayer,for which I could find no solution,were answered,
If they had not been answered,would only have confirmed what I,then believed...There is no God.
Let me ask you a question,I know you are an Atheist and you would never pray to something you don't believe in But,let us suppose,that,like myself,you found yourself in a grievious situation which you could not resolve and in desperation you decided to test God ,not that you believe in...
Everything you just described exemplifies what I'm saying. It is not evidence. It's emotionally charged experiences. The fact that you don't understand everything that happens around you is no reason to inject magic. Good things happen sometimes, bad things happen sometimes, it's life. Sometimes things work out...sometimes they don't. We live in a very complex system. Even if you think you lead a simple life, you're exposed to enormous amount of external factors that can affect you (both positively and negatively) on a daily basis.
I also know that I can talk myself into things. It's relatively easy... especially over an extended period of time.(e.g., "I should buy a jet ski"). If it's something you want, your mind will find ways to reinforce the belief (e.g., "I'll feel younger if I owned a jet ski") sometimes to the point of absurdity. Couple this with our ability to pattern match (something that ensured our ancestor's survival) and you have a recipe for finding "proof" that really is just coincidence (or more complicated than you can process...which quickly goes into chaos vs. complexity theories that are way out of my mental grasp).
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Insofar as your having no respect for me,If that is what you feel,so be it. If,in order to gain your respect,I have to deny what God has accomplished in my life,I can not and will not do it.
Not only for you,,Not for anybody ,including my parents,my wife ,my kids and everything I hold dear.
Quit playing the victim, that song is getting old. I said I'd have more respect for you if you just admitted that your faith was illogical / irrational. No one is persecuting you.

Location hidden

#99264 Apr 11, 2013
Friggin' time - delayed Topix... sorry everyone

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#99265 Apr 11, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Question,Where have I ever asked you to believe in what I believe?
Where have I ever stated that I want to impose my beliefs on your children?
When you are able to provide that evidence,then, and only then can you validate your misguided allegations
Are you here to argue that the bible should be taught in schools? You have argued that creation by god should be taught in schools haven't you?
The christian cult does this all of the time. I have told people that want to preach at me that I do not believe in the bible and do not want to be preached at so they nag and preach harder until I wear my sigle of Baphomet than they condemn me because I do not follow their cult
Yes and Amen

Georgetown, KY

#99266 Apr 11, 2013
OhWow wrote:
If you want your child taught your religion send them to a school based on it. Not everyone is Christian and not everyone believes what you believe. There's absolutely no reason to want to force it on those who do not want it.
Fact is... It's an "Elective"! No forcing anyone to go!
On a side note...
God is real, why would you want your kids not to know Him?
You get your kids helmets, and knee pads for their bikes, n skate boards... why not a Bible for their souls?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99267 Apr 11, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
and we were *quite* a diverse bunch of kids!
Meaning you had both tall and short Baptists and Pentecostals in your classes?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99268 Apr 11, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Fact is... It's an "Elective"! No forcing anyone to go!
On a side note...
You get your kids helmets, and knee pads for their bikes, n skate boards... why not a Bible for their souls?
No, it is a smoke screen to allow preachers in to go around preaching to children and to pressure children. It is a stepping stone to teach the bible as fact.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99269 Apr 11, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Fact is... It's an "Elective"! No forcing anyone to go!
On a side note...
Elective or not we still can not allow people like you to be around children.
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

#99270 Apr 11, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>No, it is a smoke screen to allow preachers in to go around preaching to children and to pressure children. It is a stepping stone to teach the bible as fact.
In the beginning... He made them male, and female!
Is not a vagina made for a penis?
That is a Biblical fact... even if you do not want to believe that!
Fact is fact!
Thanks again for
proving God, and the Bible to be true!
Good day:-)
TruthIS

London, KY

#99271 Apr 11, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Great! But you do know that the Physics class was not the one with the lockers and group showers with your buds after running laps right?
OHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.... I think YOU must be confused?
Group PHYSICS classroooms-yes.
Group showers? NOT in my high school, dirtbag.
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

#99272 Apr 11, 2013
Y'all have a great day :-)
TruthIS

London, KY

#99273 Apr 11, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Meaning you had both tall and short Baptists and Pentecostals in your classes?
Hell if I'd know, we didn't drag labelduhmlabels into our classrooms.

Lot's of names you couldn't even pronounce I'd bet though!(HA lol)

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99274 Apr 11, 2013
Wrong again Sparky wrote:
<quoted text>In the beginning... He made them male, and female!
Fact is fact!
Thanks again for
What does that have to do with bible study in school? And no, since there is no god there was no Adam and Eve.
But yes, fact is fact and myth is...well your cult

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99275 Apr 11, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>No, it is a smoke screen to allow preachers in to go around preaching to children and to pressure children. It is a stepping stone to teach the bible as fact.
In the beginning... He made them male, and female!
Fact is fact!
Thanks again for

YET AGAIN PROVING THAT YOU STILL SMOKE METH

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99276 Apr 11, 2013
TruthIS wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell if I'd know, we didn't drag labelduhmlabels into our classrooms.
Lot's of names you couldn't even pronounce I'd bet though!(HA lol)
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
We would've laughed at THAT...while still maintaning the ability to RESPECT others cultural differences and beliefs (providing they were not harming anyone else, in anyway, of course).
I notice this God fearing Christian has a real affinity for calling people names. "Worm," "dirtbag," et al. Yeah, this is the sort of individual I would want teaching MY kids about the Bible - someone who claims they are tolerant and intelligent, yet is vicious and doesn't even comprehend the common usage of Anno Domini in the Gregorian calendar.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99277 Apr 11, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>What does that have to do with bible study in school? And no, since there is no god there was no Adam and Eve.
But yes, fact is fact and myth is...well your cult
I notice that YaA doesn't quite get the distinction between "Biblical" and "biological."
Hmmm...
"biblical function"
"biological function"
Maybe there isn't that much difference?

Since: Apr 13

Lexington, KY

#99278 Apr 11, 2013
kids today need guide lines i think it wood be good because this country was built on religen we should go on with it teach them morals in life

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99279 Apr 11, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I notice this God fearing Christian has a real affinity for calling people names. "Worm," "dirtbag," et al. Yeah, this is the sort of individual I would want teaching MY kids about the Bible - someone who claims they are tolerant and intelligent, yet is vicious and doesn't even comprehend the common usage of Anno Domini in the Gregorian calendar.
From my experience they are also violent and blood lusting. So many "christians" have stated that I should be; shot, burned at the stake, tied to the back of their truck and dragged, beaten until I defecate myself, etc.....
And from what I see on the news they are hate filled and perverts.
I do not want them talking to my child much less teaching them.
Most colleges have world religion classes, so why do they still try to push their beliefs on to innocent children? Maybe college aged boys and girls are too old for them?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99280 Apr 11, 2013
barnabas gilbert wrote:
kids today need guide lines i think it wood be good because this country was built on religen we should go on with it teach them morals in life
This country was built on industry and personal rights/individual freedom. In no way was this country built on religion, in fact just the opposite as our fore fathers saw fit to protect us from the christian cult.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 3 min Fact 1,939
free pot belly pigs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Sep '09) 4 min barbourville ky 37
stacy and eddie afair at union 7 min barbourville ky 1
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 9 min Reality 151,419
knox board of ed raising taxes 38 min undecided 7
Holly or Nikki who will Brett pick 50 min yeaaaa 2
Paylake on us 25 w 1 hr Homer 2
Kentucky Fried Chicken 16 hr toenail eater 11
Walmart Supercenter Sun Bigdaddy 6
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Barbourville Jobs