Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,217

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#99378 Apr 11, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
You can not stretch your mind to believe this? LOL (it is meant to show how illogical Big Bang theory is) But YOU DO BELIEVE THIS : Okay ,let's say we teach this to our children (well not mine yours): All this Universe was a freak accident of nature. One tiny fragment of a very magnificent unknown substance exploded forming billions of planets and earth" .We call this force Energy . Yes folks it was so tiny,it was almost invisible.Can you imagine how this small particle could burst,dividing into even smaller pieces as it exploded,but formed billions of planets . Hummmm,"Let's see it broke into,got even smaller ,but formed all those billions of planets weighing multi-zillion, trillions more times than itself Right now that is a good subject to teach. in stitches LAUGH
The Funny part is that You have No Idea of the subject and then can't understand even the simple explanations of first principles... You say things like Unknown Substance , it was not a Substance and it's still all around you, in you and is what E-Mc2 speaks of and that is the "Unknown Substance" you get when a Nuke detonates...

Check this,,,, If we removed All Space in your body and could compress it so that all physical particles were touching you would be a Billion times smaller than the nucleus of a Helium atom...

Just because you haven't the knowledge base or education to understand only makes a sad statement at the status of our education system.... You actually don't even understand that planets, stars, Galaxies don't "Weigh" anything ... Weight is only relativistic to a frame of reference inertial mass... And is why a Astronaut only "Weigh" 1/6 of Earth when on the Moon...

Somerset, KY

#99379 Apr 11, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
Remember, consider that library book on speaking proper English. Enough with your "YEP". "
Yup, I could give a Rats Ass about grammar NAZI's in topix forums...

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99380 Apr 12, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again,you see,God can not be proven to exist,neither by rationalizing or logically, something that YOU are unable to grasp,because you do not believe,Nor can he be proved to be nonexistent by rationalizing and logically.
That my friend Is,A delusional mindset and for that mindset no medication has been designed
Wrong again,you see,God can not be proven to exist,neither by rationalizing or logically, something that YOU are unable to grasp,because you do not believe,Nor can he be proved to be nonexistent by rationalizing and logically.
That my friend Is,A delusional mindset and for that mindset no medication has been designed
Carl Sagan was an agnostic and when asked why he was not an Atheist,responded
"An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid."
Carl Sagan was awesome.

He did not in any way believe in God. By the correct usage and definitions, he was actually an agnostic atheist. I don't think he personally cared that much for the logical end of those arguments. Or, in his capacity as a science proponent with the ears of world leaders, he realized that he needed a very neutral and soft approach to the God idea or else he would lose those ears.

Sagan rejected the idea of a personal God, just like Einstein and many other famous scientists and philosophers. If he was alive today it is realistic to think that he would be more comfortable with the atheist label, but that is just speculative of me.

Here is what atheism and agnosticism *actually* mean, with regard to God:

Agnosticism refers to claims about knowledge. If I claim that I don't know with certainty that God exists then I am agnostic. In my opinion, everyone on the planet is or should be agnostic with regard to KNOWING that God exists. Nobody actually knows, I don't care how hardcore religious you are.

You.
Do.
Not.
Know.

Atheism is rejection of the claim that a god or gods exist. This is not the same thing as agnosticism. Atheism is a position on a claim, agnosticism is about knowledge. I can say that I don't believe you are an alien from Mars but I cannot say that you are NOT an alien from Mars (with absolute certainty).

Do you see the difference?

A lot of people's eyes glaze over with this stuff but it is actually very important if we're having a realistic conversation. I don't think Carl Sagan spoke much about this directly because that was simply not his thing. But if you take a look at his Boloney Detection Kit (critical thinking) and you take it seriously then agnostic atheism is almost certainly what you'll end up with.

Most of us just say atheist. It's shorter and more to the point. A lot of people just say agnostic. It's also shorter and less problematic for believers for some reason. These are interchangeable ideas, casually, but they have distinct meanings and are not mutually exclusive. If you want to be clear, use both.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99381 Apr 12, 2013
ever consider wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay ,let's say we teach this to our children (well not mine yours): All this Universe was a freak accident of nature. One tiny fragment of a very magnificent unknown substance exploded forming billions of planets and earth" .We call this force Energy . Yes folks it was so tiny,it was almost invisible.Can you imagine how this small particle could burst,dividing into even smaller pieces as it exploded,but formed billions of planets . hummmm,"Let's see it broke into,got even smaller ,but formed all those billions of planets weighing multi-zillion, trillions more times than itself Right now that is a good subject to teach. I see your point nutty professor !
You seem to have both a failure of imagination and a MASSIVE ignorance of science. Don't strawman something you don't even understand.

Crack a book. Learn something.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#99382 Apr 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, with all the crap the fundies are saying this is not a formal debate so the spelling/grammar nazi'z can go blow

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#99383 Apr 12, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Would it matter if Jesus wrote it all down? Would translations to other languages be any better than what happened? Would the Council of Nicea get it right that way? Would man stop trying to interpret scripture to mean what is convenient for him at the time? I say Jesus did the right thing by not wasting His time writing everything in detail.
He taught in simple parables and people didn't get it. He proved His point that God's true gospel will seem out of place when compared to the secular world and old traditions that stemmed from greedy authorities.
So what he taught is now simple? That is quite a contradiction from your earlier claim.
I think you are correct about people not even understanding the parables. I do not see most Christians understanding the one about throwing the first stone. Most Christians I know cannot seem to comprehend the word "judgement".
So maybe parables were not direct enough for believers to understand?

Maybe if Jesus wrote his story in all the known languages and the ones that were to come in the future, their would be less debate. Could he not do this?

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99384 Apr 12, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So what he taught is now simple? That is quite a contradiction from your earlier claim.
I think you are correct about people not even understanding the parables. I do not see most Christians understanding the one about throwing the first stone. Most Christians I know cannot seem to comprehend the word "judgement".
So maybe parables were not direct enough for believers to understand?

Maybe if Jesus wrote his story in all the known languages and the ones that were to come in the future, their would be less debate. Could he not do this?
Some of what He taught was very simple. Some had complex implications, but He told us that we could know all the mysteries of the Kingdom. But we are supposed to learn the basics first which some never do. Milk before meat. Like you pointed out, the simple lesson of not judging others slips right past thousands of followers.

And no, I don't think He could have completed that task of writing all scripture down in that short amount of time and still accomplish the task of fulfilling all the prophecies spoken of Him and perform the miracles that He did. Given the choice, I'm sure He would choose again to spend more time leading and teaching by example.

I never noticed an answer to my question to you about fossils. Is there evidence of creatures turning from oviparous to viviparous beings? I am interested in this transition, as there would have to be over a million years worth of these half breed creatures for this type of evolution to take place, right?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99386 Apr 12, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of what He taught was very simple. Some had complex implications, but He told us that we could know all the mysteries of the Kingdom. But we are supposed to learn the basics first which some never do. Milk before meat. Like you pointed out, the simple lesson of not judging others slips right past thousands of followers.
And no, I don't think He could have completed that task of writing all scripture down in that short amount of time and still accomplish the task of fulfilling all the prophecies spoken of Him and perform the miracles that He did. Given the choice, I'm sure He would choose again to spend more time leading and teaching by example.
I never noticed an answer to my question to you about fossils. Is there evidence of creatures turning from oviparous to viviparous beings? I am interested in this transition, as there would have to be over a million years worth of these half breed creatures for this type of evolution to take place, right?
So why would a god that created sin but can not be around sin reveal himself to a family of murdering thieves and no one else in the world?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99387 Apr 12, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
you took the first sentence of what I posted and used that to change the topic in question
Here is my complete post,in which your response ,you do not address.
So let's try again
But let us talk about your observations and to how they would apply to my situation.
Let us satrt out with the Facts,as only I know them
I prayed to have a SPECIFIC problem resolved,Said problem was resolved amd I know that to be a fact...
If My brain chemistry,physiology and activity are tested,what do the results prove or indicate.
Would it indicate that I had an illusion,that what I know happened ,did not really occur. In that case ,I'd probably tell whoever was conducting this observation,what he could do with his report.
Now,since he would not be able to refute the fact that my prayer was amswered,What else could he do? how would he explain it?
That some activity in my brain,of which I am unaware,was able to create the circumstances which resulted in the answer to my prayer?
Since you brought up the subject of this observation process,then I will leave it up yo you,to explain to me how that relates to my situation?
MIND MY FIRST COMMANDMENT; Never post irrational solutions to issues WITH which you are totally unfamil;iar aND are BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION
You are very knowledgeable about things that you make up. How about giving reality and facts a try just to see if you can handle it?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99388 Apr 12, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
By the same token,observations have been made that prayer has cured illnesses.
But let us talk about your observations and to how they would apply to my situation.
Let us satrt out with the Facts,as only I know them
I prayed to have a SPECIFIC problem resolved,Said problem was resolved amd I know that to be a fact...
If My brain chemistry,physiology and activity are tested,what do the results prove or indicate.
Would it indicate that I had an illusion,that what I know happened ,did not really occur. In that case ,I'd probably tell whoever was conducting this observation,what he could do with his report.
Now,since he would not be able to refute the fact that my prayer was amswered,What else could he do? how would he explain it?
That some activity in my brain,of which I am unaware,was able to create the circumstances which resulted in the answer to my prayer?
Since you brought up the subject of this observation process,then I will leave it up yo you,to explain to me how that relates to my situation?
MIND MY FIRST COMMANDMENT; Never post irrational solutions to issues WITH which you are totally unfamil;iar aND are BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION
Following WWI, many families wanted desperately to hear from their deceased loved ones from beyond the grave. An entire industry of "spiritualists" appeared to assuage their anguish, and among them was Ehrich Weisz, who desperately wanted to hear from his deceased mother. What he found instead of comfort were con artists, shams and deceit - which he publicly denounced. Because of his efforts to expose these connivers, many of their victims were so distraught at his arrogance in confronting their illusions that he routinely received death threats from them - and even close friends distanced themselves from him.
I'll accede that your invisible teddy bear is real to you, and that any medical or psychiatric observation is likely to substantiate that condition.
Again, this does not make you unique or special any more than does a shellfish allergy or a political inclination.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99389 Apr 12, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Your incompetence and inability to understand the meaning of what I said,is on the same intellectual level,as that which you claim to have evolved from,an amoeba.
No ,fool,one can not prove God's existence by logic or rationale
God said,If you diligently seek me,you will find me...
As Scripture correctly states"The fool has said in his heart"There is no God"
Uh-oh, somebodie's not turning the other cheek...tsk tsk. What Jesus must be thinking of you...

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#99390 Apr 12, 2013
Don't study bible with someone who only reads it because they're looking for the dirty parts.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99391 Apr 12, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Great quote,,That is your opinion
Here is a quote of Carl sagan's opinion
Carl Sagan was an agnostic and when asked why he was not an Atheist,responded
"An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid."
There has been much ado about whether Sagan was this or that, about whether he said this or that and what his deeper meanings were. Red Skelton would say something different, Samuel Clemons would say something different, Ernst Mach would say something different. Pick any number of notables and you will find the quote you are looking for to support your OPINION - and if it doesn't quite fit, you will likely contrive a means to hammer it into place.

You stated, "Science is incapable of providing answers to specific prayer requests," yet do you pray to have a cut healed or do you put neosporin on it? Do you pay an electric bill or do you pray for "let there be light?" When a hurricane is knocking at your door are you watching TWC or TBN?

You alleged, "Neither do I believe,as you do,that nonintelligent and nonliving matter ,was able to convert itself,as if by magic, into living intelligent matter.
In no way has Q professed any belief in magic, nor any theistic equivalent. It is your own limitations which lead you to beliefs in such.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - A.C. Clarke

And since we are on this roll with quotes,I find this one ironically applicable:
"Well,you are either angry,or your wisdom,or lack off,has led you into a mental state of foolishness. My opinion is based, on your intellectually void responses." - Curious

“See how you are?”

Earth

#99392 Apr 12, 2013
Clarification to post #99388 - Ehrich Weisz was not among the spiritualists, he was among those wanting to hear from a deceased loved one.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#99393 Apr 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep, it's a religie's only hope, when their special "intellect" fails they turn to distraction. I also like the way when cornered they use the old "I don't understand the post", lmao, like the dim wit does.
ever consider

Morehead, KY

#99394 Apr 12, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have both a failure of imagination and a MASSIVE ignorance of science. Don't strawman something you don't even understand.
Crack a book. Learn something.
okay, fair enough, I am listening , so will you explain how everything in the universe started. The text I wrote is from online; that is if you can,and don't tell me I that I wouldn't understand anyway. that will only prove to me that you do not know . Waiting Can you ?
ever consider

Morehead, KY

#99395 Apr 12, 2013
Oh ,just in case Yiago that you can not explain how the Link to Article on Sciencist not sure of anything ,which I posted. Read for yourself http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/bigbang.htmearth & universe started,here is a link :

This explains about the burst of energy that created or came into being,in a scientific educational point of view. Written from science textbooks. These scientist claim that now they are unsure on their first Big bang theory,because 3 major answers can not be explained. Are you smarter than these scientist ? A lot of reading is required,but get help from someone if you have trouble . Good luck.

Somerset, KY

#99397 Apr 12, 2013
ever consider wrote:
Oh ,just in case Yiago that you can not explain how the Link to Article on Sciencist not sure of anything ,which I posted. Read for yourself http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/bigbang.htmearth & universe started,here is a link :
This explains about the burst of energy that created or came into being,in a scientific educational point of view. Written from science textbooks. These scientist claim that now they are unsure on their first Big bang theory,because 3 major answers can not be explained. Are you smarter than these scientist ? A lot of reading is required,but get help from someone if you have trouble . Good luck.
Saved typing....
Question

Morehead, KY

#99398 Apr 12, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Following WWI, many families wanted desperately to hear from their deceased loved ones from beyond the grave. An entire industry of "spiritualists" appeared to assuage their anguish, and among them was Ehrich Weisz, who desperately wanted to hear from his deceased mother. What he found instead of comfort were con artists, shams and deceit - which he publicly denounced. Because of his efforts to expose these connivers, many of their victims were so distraught at his arrogance in confronting their illusions that he routinely received death threats from them - and even close friends distanced themselves from him.
I'll accede that your invisible teddy bear is real to you, and that any medical or psychiatric observation is likely to substantiate that condition.
Again, this does not make you unique or special any more than does a shellfish allergy or a political inclination.
Talking to the dead is a form of witchcraft and devil worship. God was against it .
Question

Morehead, KY

#99399 Apr 12, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Saved typing....
Why save? Just click on the link.Duh

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Who is Winston tye seeing now....... 1 hr Mason 9
How many kindergarten teachers at Lay? 1 hr Max 21
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 1 hr Breezy _Soul 408
Mayor west gives city councilmans son raise 2 hr Hob knob 24
Jim baker remodeling city hall 2 hr Sam 4
curtis 4 hr gator 4
teena Marie mills 5 hr john 12
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Wed dad 52
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match