Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 130,960

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99222 Apr 10, 2013
Nothing makes nothing wrote:
<quoted text>
Right-all that takes is just to believe everything you read as FACT ! Wow- You are a nutty professor for sure.Three little Pigs is a good book to begin with.
Better fairy tales and nursery rhymes like "Three Little Pigs" than indoctrination propaganda that is taught as "fact." It's far more conscionable to have kids read Hans Christian Anderson or Aesop's Fables than "The Baptist Sunday School Standard Manual" any day - and TWICE on Sundays.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99223 Apr 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Right-all that takes is just to believe everything you read as FACT ! Wow- You are a nutty professor for sure.Three little Pigs is a good book to begin with.
I have proof that your god does not exist, prove that I do not.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99224 Apr 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Just to be safe, you might want to steer clear of Iowa, too.
http://www.trulia.com/real_estate/Vedic_City-...
I ain't skeered
fartknocker

Hyden, KY

#99225 Apr 10, 2013
It takes the rights from the parents to choose a. Specific faith or beleif.5

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99226 Apr 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me respond to what You have suggested in your posting
Jesus taught in parables,as contained in the Gospel of Luike.
His parables contain a hidden meaning,which can not be discerned by human or natural reasoning.He clearly states his reason for teaching that way in Parable of The Sower LUKE 8;5 to 15.
Since he taught in parables,then I have to search for the hidden meaning contained therein.I found that meaning in matt 12;46 to 59 mk3;31 to 35 and luke 8;19 to 21 where Jesus explains the new relationship that we are to have with GOD.
Moreover,if one takes the parable literally, then one would find Jesus,contradicting his own teachings and the word of God See Luke 18;18 to 20.
You state that Human are flawed and I agree. Our flaws are very aptly described by the Apostle Paul
"Romans 1;29 to 31
29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness,covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful
Now,we can live our lives,having those flaws and attempting,or as you say,having a mind to do the most good for others and avoid doing bad things to them.That is a noble thought,and although our minds urge us to do that,our human nature prevents us from accomplishing it.
Our human nature still continues to be flawed.
So that,as the Apostle Paul stated"That which we would do,we are unable to do, meaning ,Our minds tell us about our flaws and that our actions are wrong,we try to correct them,but are unable to.
In the Gospel of Luke,based on his teachings and parables,Jesus points out the flaws in our human nature and gives us a solution as to how to correct this situation.
When speaking to the Jewish religious leaders of the time,the Lawyers,scribes and the Pharisees,he rightly pointed out their hypocricy and what they needed to do in order to remedy their condition.
They were unable to refute the validity of the truth contained in his teachings,yet,would not accept them.
I understand completely how you feel.I've told you I was once an agnostic and felt toward God as you do..
And,as I have said before,I have tested God's word and Christ's
teachings and have found them to be true.
Would in no way change what I am now,to what I used to be.
Glad you shared your views with me and allowed me the opportunity to respond.
How have you "tested" these magical ideas? Having a warm and fuzzy feeling is not going to get you far in a debate. You need evidence if you are making a claim about reality.

Regarding our nature, there is no reason to distinguish between a "human" nature and any other nature. There is ONLY the human nature to deal with. We are flawed, as I said, but not because of magic. It isn't inherited from a mythological fairy tale. We are flawed because we exist nature and nature is not a perfectionist.

But can do great good and there is no need to invoke magic to explain it.
TruthIs

London, KY

#99227 Apr 10, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Wait until you hear my views on the effect of Gravity being a very weak force and the main driver of the universe is the electrical effect and the flow of charged primal particles with mass via the 98% plasma form of universal matter... It's Awsome....
So, you have the the exact math calculations on the BB theory to go with that?

Ah didn't think so.

(quel suprise-NON, anyone who cannot discern, in the beginning there WAS light --only able instead, to nitpick about a few million years!)
Nothing makes nothing

Morehead, KY

#99228 Apr 10, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I have proof that your god does not exist, prove that I do not.
Well I can PROVE that your evolution experts have changed their mind about creation-and they openly admit that they are not sure of anything. Read:Since its conception, the theory of the Big Bang has been constantly challenged. These challenges have led those who believe in the theory to search for more concrete evidence which would prove them correct. From the point at which this chapter leaves off, many have tried to go further and several discoveries have been made that paint a more complete picture of the creation of the universe.
Recently, NASA has made some astounding discoveries which lend themselves to the proof of the Big Bang theory. Most importantly, astronomers using the Astro-2 observatory were able to confirm one of the requirements for the foundation of the universe through the Big Bang. In June, 1995, scientists were able to detect primordial helium, such as deuterium, in the far reaches of the universe. These findings are consistent with an important aspect of the Big Bang theory that a mixture of hydrogen and helium was created at the beginning of the universe.
In addition, the Hubble telescope, named after the father of Big Bang theory, has provided certain clues as to what elements were present following creation. Astronomers using Hubble have found the element boron in extremely ancient stars. They postulate that its presence could be either a remnant of energetic events at the birth of galaxies or it could indicate that boron is even older, dating back to the Big Bang itself. If the latter is true, scientists will be forced once again to modify their theory for the birth of the universe and events immediately afterward because, according to the present theory, such a heavy and complex atom could not have existed.
In this manner we can see that the research will never be truly complete. Our hunger for knowledge will never be satiated. So to answer the question, what now, is an impossibility. The path we take from here will only be determined by our own discoveries and questions. We are engaged in a never-ending cycle of questions and answers where one will inevitably lead to the other.
COBE continues to search the outer reaches of the universe
DEEP THOUGHTS
It is extremely difficult to separate this subject of science from daily existential pondering. Everyone at some point in time has grappled with the question of why we are here? Some have found refuge in the sheer philosophic nature of this question while others have taken a more scientific approach. These particular wanderers have taken the question to a higher level, concentrating not only on human existence but the existence of everything we know as real.
If you sit and try to imagine the whole of the entire universe it would be mind-boggling. However, science has now told us that the universe is, in fact, finite, with a beginning, a middle, and a future. It is easy to get caught up in the large scale of the issue in discussing years by the billions, yet, this time still passes. As we travel through our own lives here on Earth, we also travel through the life of our universe.
In this chapter, we have made some attempts to explain this journey. It is odd that we will never truly know how it began. We can only speculate and give our best guess. Through our own devices we have been able to produce evidence that these guesses are close to the truth. But centuries from now, will the human race compare us to those who once thought of the Earth as the center of the universe?
GLOSSARY
Baryons-- common particles including photons and neutrinos created
REFERENCES
Literature
Kaufmann, William J., III. Galaxies and Quasars. San Fransisco: W.H. Freeman and Company, 1979.
Silk, Joseph. A Short History of the Universe. New York: Scientific American Library, 1994.
TruthIs

London, KY

#99229 Apr 10, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I have proof that your god does not exist, prove that I do not.
Not that hateful, vengence filled thing that SOME of y'all try to distort and morph into being as one--or else it've smacked the pure d ignorant out of A Lot of inhumane beings by now!

Why some of y'all just want to get hung up on all that self indulgent- ego tripping, dark age hater crap..is beyond logical sometimes.

That crap just makes nothing but nasty people.
Nothing makes nothing

Morehead, KY

#99230 Apr 10, 2013
Scientist constantly changing their minds-Now openly admit they were wrong ! READ: The theory of the Big Bang has been constantly challenged. These challenges have led those who believe in the theory to search for more concrete evidence which would prove them correct. From the point at which this chapter leaves off, many have tried to go further and several discoveries have been made that paint a more complete picture of the creation of the universe.

Recently, NASA has made some astounding discoveries which lend themselves to the proof of the Big Bang theory. Most importantly, astronomers using the Astro-2 observatory were able to confirm one of the requirements for the foundation of the universe through the Big Bang. In June, 1995, scientists were able to detect primordial helium, such as deuterium, in the far reaches of the universe. These findings are consistent with an important aspect of the Big Bang theory that a mixture of hydrogen and helium was created at the beginning of the universe.

In addition, the Hubble telescope, named after the father of Big Bang theory, has provided certain clues as to what elements were present following creation. Astronomers using Hubble have found the element boron in extremely ancient stars. They postulate that its presence could be either a remnant of energetic events at the birth of galaxies or it could indicate that boron is even older, dating back to the Big Bang itself. If the latter is true, scientists will be forced once again to modify their theory for the birth of the universe and events immediately afterward because, according to the present theory, such a heavy and complex atom could not have existed.

In this manner we can see that the research will never be truly complete. Our hunger for knowledge will never be satiated. So to answer the question, what now, is an impossibility. The path we take from here will only be determined by our own discoveries and questions. We are engaged in a never-ending cycle of questions and answers where one will inevitably lead to the other.

DEEP THOUGHTS

It is extremely difficult to separate this subject of science from daily existential pondering. Everyone at some point in time has grappled with the question of why we are here? Some have found refuge in the sheer philosophic nature of this question while others have taken a more scientific approach. These particular wanderers have taken the question to a higher level, concentrating not only on human existence but the existence of everything we know as real.

If you sit and try to imagine the whole of the entire universe it would be mind-boggling. However, science has now told us that the universe is, in fact, finite, with a beginning, a middle, and a future. It is easy to get caught up in the large scale of the issue in discussing years by the billions, yet, this time still passes. As we travel through our own lives here on Earth, we also travel through the life of our universe.

In this chapter, we have made some attempts to explain this journey. It is odd that we will never truly know how it began. We can only speculate and give our best guess. Through our own devices we have been able to produce evidence that these guesses are close to the truth. But centuries from now, will the human race compare us to those who once thought of the Earth as the center of the universe?

GLOSSARY

Baryons-- common particles including photons and neutrinos created at approximately 10^-33 seconds after the Big Bang

Deuterium-- a heavy isotope of hyrogen containing on proton and one neutron

REFERENCES

Literature

Kaufmann, William J., III. Galaxies and Quasars. San Fransisco: W.H. Freeman and Company, 1979.

Silk, Joseph. A Short History of the Universe. New York: Scientific American Library, 1994. t they actually do not know anything!READ:

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99231 Apr 10, 2013
<quoted text>
On the contrary my friend, evolution has been taught in schools for many years,so we all have been educated in that fiction- U.S. public schools have always made an effort to stay current with modern science. Since Darwin published his "Origin of the Species" in England in 1859, it can be assumed that public schools in the U.S. began teaching the principles of evolution soon afterward--perhaps within a decade or so.
It is simply fair to teach the bible. But you that swallowed and devoured with over zealous appetites for fairy tale education,are now afraid that this generation will question the nonsense they have been taught about evolution.
I went to school here in the USA. In High School biology I never heard the word "evolution" uttered, even once. It was not mentioned and none of its principles were taught. Instead, my incredible biology teachers had us dissect frogs and answer questions about cell anatomy and osmosis while they played games in the office. Important stuff, no doubt. But no evolution was ever taught to me. My first real encounter with the theory was in college when it was mentioned in one of my science courses.

Up until the late 1800s Creationism was taught in public schools. Darwin's idea was quickly accepted (it is compelling, after all) and most religious people didn't seem to have a problem with it.

The problem now is we have this vocal subset of doofhead Fundamentalists who have decided that the Theory of Evolution is the bane of Jesus. It's dumb, frankly. I think it is a waste of time to even engage Creationists on this topic but for some reason I keep doing it.

Why is it fair to teach the Bible? And in what context? If you mean alongside Evolution in a science room, you are simply and absolutely wrong. The Bible is not science. There is no controversy in science about whether or not evolution takes place. It is a fact of nature. The Theory of Evolution is and will always be a matter of continuing science.

The Bible is not relevant to this. Teaching the Bible in a science class would be like using voodoo to work on your car.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99232 Apr 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Well I can PROVE that your evolution experts have changed their mind about creation-and they openly admit that they are not sure of anything. Read:Since its conception, the theory of the Big Bang has been constantly challenged. These challenges have led those who believe in the theory to search for more concrete evidence which would prove them correct. From the point at which this chapter leaves off, many have tried to go further and several discoveries have been made that paint a more complete picture of the creation of the universe.
DEEP THOUGHTS
If you sit and try to imagine the whole of the entire universe it would be mind-boggling. However, science has now told us that the universe is, in fact, finite, with a beginning, a middle, and a future., yet, this time still passes. As we travel through our own lives here on Earth,
GLOSSARY
Baryons-- common particles including photons and neutrinos created
REFERENCES
Literature
Silk, Joseph. A Short History of the Universe. New York: Scientific American Library, 1994.
No, YOUR christians have tried to make stuff up about science and evolution. Making false statements.
But from day one scientist have said they do not know. YOU say I do not know or understand so it must be god
Nothing makes nothing

Morehead, KY

#99233 Apr 10, 2013
God probably laughs at all of us,trying to" Disprove God" is as absurd as scientist proving how the earth was made. They say it is billions of years old,yet man in his own imagined infallible egoist way,thinks he can figure it all out! What E G O and self-righteousness!
Who & what books are available to prove any of this insanity of evolution? ;The books would need to be billions of years old !
Either believe in God, or admit that,"We do not believe in God,but we have no idea how everything was created !"
You have a 3rd answer ? Let's hear it.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#99234 Apr 10, 2013
<quoted text>
See that's where believing anything in the first place causes people to lose the ability of critical thinking... As you demonstrate... I do not Believe anything I read, Nothing I hear, or anything I see.... I consider it for it's rational conclusion, bounce it against mt own long life of study, verify the data presented over time and then form my own conclusions based on all available data...

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99235 Apr 10, 2013
Scientist constantly changing their minds-Now openly admit they were wrong ! READ: The theory of the Big Bang has been constantly challenged.
Yes, it is called scientific process. Theories are challenged and scientist try to prove them wrong. I learned that in the 6th grade.
Please prove that your god exist and created everything, nope no bible verses. let us assume that the big bang theory and evolution is wrong, prove to me that your myths are right

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#99236 Apr 10, 2013
TruthIs wrote:
<quoted text>
So, you have the the exact math calculations on the BB theory to go with that?
Ah didn't think so.
(quel suprise-NON, anyone who cannot discern, in the beginning there WAS light --only able instead, to nitpick about a few million years!)
In your case what difference would it make ? From your posts I think the math for simple Newtonian physics would be beyond your mental capacities....

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99237 Apr 10, 2013
God probably laughs at all of us,trying to" Disprove God" is as absurd as scientist proving how the earth was made. They say it is billions of years old,yet man in his own imagined infallible egoist way,thinks he can figure it all out! What E G O and self-righteousness!
Who & what books are available to prove any of this insanity of evolution? ;The books would need to be billions of years old !
Either believe in God, or admit that,"We do not believe in God,but we have no idea how everything was created !"
You have a 3rd answer ? Let's hear it.
If there was a god it would not be what the christian cult has made up.
Why would I believe in your god myth just because I can not even discuss these things with Q? I know i do not know, but I also know that your middle east Arab is not some super being (you do know that your god and jesus are towel heads right?)
I do know that your version of god is wrong.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99238 Apr 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I went to school here in the USA. In High School biology I never heard the word "evolution" uttered, even once. It was not mentioned and none of its principles were taught. Instead, my incredible biology teachers had us dissect frogs and answer questions about cell anatomy and osmosis while they played games in the office. Important stuff, no doubt. But no evolution was ever taught to me. My first real encounter with the theory was in college when it was mentioned in one of my science courses.
Up until the late 1800s Creationism was taught in public schools. Darwin's idea was quickly accepted (it is compelling, after all) and most religious people didn't seem to have a problem with it.
The problem now is we have this vocal subset of doofhead Fundamentalists who have decided that the Theory of Evolution is the bane of Jesus. It's dumb, frankly. I think it is a waste of time to even engage Creationists on this topic but for some reason I keep doing it.
Why is it fair to teach the Bible? And in what context? If you mean alongside Evolution in a science room, you are simply and absolutely wrong. The Bible is not science. There is no controversy in science about whether or not evolution takes place. It is a fact of nature. The Theory of Evolution is and will always be a matter of continuing science.
The Bible is not relevant to this. Teaching the Bible in a science class would be like using voodoo to work on your car.
Not only was evolution not taught when I went to public school, they even ridiculed Newton as a dunce that got bonked by an apple.
Should we teach the Koran or the Satanic ways, Witchcraft and Paganism? Who gets to choose which religion gets forced on to innocent children? We are not going to force religion on innocent minds, our founding fathers saw fit to protect the masses from people who would deny us the same rights and freedoms that they claim
Nothing makes nothing

Morehead, KY

#99239 Apr 10, 2013
Oh in case your answer is Science . Remember scientist now admit they are not certain on any theory. Did you read the preceding article by

Silk, Joseph. A Short History of the Universe. New York: Scientific American Library,
Yiago

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99240 Apr 10, 2013
Oh in case your answer is Science . Remember scientist now admit they are not certain on any theory. Did you read the preceding article by
Silk, Joseph. A Short History of the Universe. New York: Scientific American Library,
Yiago
Again the scientific process is to doubt any theory until it can not be proven false.
Do you know the difference between a theory and a law?
Do you understand that energy can not be created nor destroyed but it is matter?
Can you grasp the concept that light is energy and so is heat and they are the same as matter?
Instead of trying to learn you will just say god "how does a radio work?" "god" "How does cable TV work?" "god" "who is fixing dinner?" "god" etc..........

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99241 Apr 10, 2013
Information is reality, religion is superstition

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
{keep a word drop a word} (Oct '11) 12 min ms_Sweeter 3,528
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 22 min Ari son of Anarchy 152,797
Henson Hollow 23 min your mom 4
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 1 hr Joe Kerr 4,127
Wen Hair Products 1 hr love it 3
Republicans have tunnel vision!! 1 hr Limbertwig 48
Harriman Tnn. symboxone clinic 2 hr fiinders fee 2
What happened at Stinking Creek? Fri Brenda 88
•••
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••