Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 132,123

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99337 Apr 11, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Yea but Segan was a pot head that was blasted out of his head for all of his work products....
Be that as it may,he possesed the ability to identify stupidity very eloquently
Carl Sagan was an agnostic and when asked why he was not an Atheist,responded
"An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid."
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99338 Apr 11, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
Hey curious, if your god is real and all powerful and all, why didn't he make bibles himself in all languages?
You do know that your jesus is not a white American right? You know he would have been one of those towel head Arabs that you hate right?
Why would this all powerful god need man to kill his enemies? Oh because they had chariots of iron and god could not defeat them?
Hey ,Jimmy Rants,Obviously your inability to refute the basis for my faith,has caused you much anger and frustration
Not being able to accomplish that futile effort,now you must resort to making ridiculous statements,in order to justify your abject failure of your futile attempts.
My God lives,yours never existed

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#99339 Apr 11, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Be that as it may,he possesed the ability to identify stupidity very eloquently
"An atheist has to know a lot more than I know. An atheist is someone who knows there is no god. By some definitions atheism is very stupid."
While Sagan was an Alright writer he was wrong on what his definition of an Atheist is... His view was Atheist Believe there is no God... That's just not true.. Atheist Do Not Believe there is a God due to no evidence of such... That's a Big difference and one Sagan should have been called on.... But he also said...

He also said.

"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity"
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99340 Apr 11, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
So, your all powerful god is incapable of proving he exists? Interesting to hear you admit that.
Your incompetence and inability to understand the meaning of what I said,is on the same intellectual level,as that which you claim to have evolved from,an amoeba.
No ,fool,one can not prove God's existence by logic or rationale
God said,If you diligently seek me,you will find me...
As Scripture correctly states"The fool has said in his heart"There is no God"

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#99342 Apr 11, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense, my attempts to mislead and deceive you can not be answered in an intelligent manner,
Good bye Jimmy Rants LOL
Yes, you try to decieve and mislead, exactly why you will never be allowed around children.
You are caught as a worthless troll.

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99343 Apr 11, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Your incompetence and inability to understand the meaning of what I said,is on the same intellectual level,as that which you claim to have evolved from,an amoeba.
No ,fool,one can not prove God's existence by logic or rationale
God said,If you diligently seek me,you will find me...
As Scripture correctly states"The fool has said in his heart"There is no God"
TROLL

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99344 Apr 11, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey ,Jimmy Rants,Obviously your inability to refute the basis for my faith,has caused you much anger and frustration
Not being able to accomplish that futile effort,now you must resort to making ridiculous statements,in order to justify your abject failure of your futile attempts.
My God lives,yours never existed
TROLL
(and you do not cause any thing lol you can believe that you cause anger just like you believe in Santa Claus.
Typical christian cult tactic is to attack the other person use non sense and spout lies)
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99345 Apr 11, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
While Sagan was an Alright writer he was wrong on what his definition of an Atheist is... His view was Atheist Believe there is no God... That's just not true.. Atheist Do Not Believe there is a God due to no evidence of such... That's a Big difference and one Sagan should have been called on.... But he also said...
He also said.
"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous. But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God. This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity"
Quote Carl Sagan
"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous
Well,I would also have called him on his description of God,since that description is based on the fantasizing minds of those who don't know God.
Interestingly he also said"But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God."
which according to him
"This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity"
So he was able to believe in God,up to a point,then was left with the belief that this God was emotionally unsatisfying.
he wasn't going to pray to the law of gravity,and he should not have prayed to the Law of gravity.
He needed to pray to him who brought those laws into being,
If he had searched diligently for God,he would have found him

“There is no god”

War, WV

#99346 Apr 11, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Quote Carl Sagan
"The idea that God is an oversized white male with a flowing beard who sits in the sky and tallies the fall of every sparrow is ludicrous
Well,I would also have called him on his description of God,since that description is based on the fantasizing minds of those who don't know God.
Interestingly he also said"But if by God one means the set of physical laws that govern the universe, then clearly there is such a God."
which according to him
"This God is emotionally unsatisfying... it does not make much sense to pray to the law of gravity"
So he was able to believe in God,up to a point,then was left with the belief that this God was emotionally unsatisfying.
he wasn't going to pray to the law of gravity,and he should not have prayed to the Law of gravity.
Quote Mark Twain, religion came about when the first con man met the first sucker
TROLL You lie, spout non sense, and worship the devil jehovah. You will spend all eternity in kwazi
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99347 Apr 11, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I was wondering about that. Beneath the facade of cultured reasonable acceptance, you could be the same ilk of egocentric holy roller that has tainted religious organizations since the second shaman picked up a rattle. I had thought that it might just be from living in a hick redneck berg, but I now see that your hubris defies granting that others have the ability to grasp your beliefs and faith while you simultaneously boast an inability of grasping others' concepts and credentials.
"Well, there's your problem..." - J. Hyneman
Great quote,,That is your opinion
Here is a quote of Carl sagan's opinion
Thank God

Morehead, KY

#99348 Apr 11, 2013
I do not about you but we were praying awhile ago during the tornado, about 1 hour ago .People in Walmart stopped everything and all huddle together in the center of the store ,employees and customer alike and many praying. Two big logs were whizzing through the air from the sawmill ,huge logs were coming at my daughter's truck,but missed them. They rushed into Walmart ! Thank Good for watching over them . God I am glad that I believe in you,and most of all you are a pray away.I praise you lord.
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99349 Apr 11, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
No one has ever observed a prayer cause an illness to be cured. People pray constantly for things to be cured. The rate of things being cured or just going away is consistent with chance or with the rate we expect them to go away.
The fact that one time out of a million someone says a prayer and then shortly after they actually get better is NOT evidence that prayer works. It's called a Post Hoc Fallacy. I eat ice cream, then lightning strikes my house. Did the ice cream cause the lightning?
Intercessory prayer (praying for other people) has been studied many times. The biggest and most well controlled studies find no evidence that this type of prayer does anything at all.
Now, just praying to yourself has a slim positive affect on how people feel. This is the placebo affect. It is the same kind of thing you get from a massage, meditation, or taking certain drugs like X or something.
you took the first sentence of what I posted and used that to change the topic in question
Here is my complete post,in which your response ,you do not address.
So let's try again
But let us talk about your observations and to how they would apply to my situation.
Let us satrt out with the Facts,as only I know them
I prayed to have a SPECIFIC problem resolved,Said problem was resolved amd I know that to be a fact...
If My brain chemistry,physiology and activity are tested,what do the results prove or indicate.
Would it indicate that I had an illusion,that what I know happened ,did not really occur. In that case ,I'd probably tell whoever was conducting this observation,what he could do with his report.
Now,since he would not be able to refute the fact that my prayer was amswered,What else could he do? how would he explain it?
That some activity in my brain,of which I am unaware,was able to create the circumstances which resulted in the answer to my prayer?
Since you brought up the subject of this observation process,then I will leave it up yo you,to explain to me how that relates to my situation?
MIND MY FIRST COMMANDMENT; Never post irrational solutions to issues WITH which you are totally unfamil;iar aND are BEYOND YOUR COMPREHENSION
Thank God

Morehead, KY

#99350 Apr 11, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Quote Mark Twain, religion came about when the first con man met the first sucker
TROLL You lie, spout non sense, and worship the devil jehovah. You will spend all eternity in kwazi
I hope nothing bad ever happens to you,for who will calm your worried mind?

Since: Apr 13

Berea, KY

#99351 Apr 11, 2013
Why would there be bible studies in school? Kids don't like to read anyway even if it's a 30 page book with pictures. Why would they read a 4,000 page one that isn't entertaining in the slightest?
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99352 Apr 11, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Quote Mark Twain, religion came about when the first con man met the first sucker

Not only that,but in their irrational frame of mind,they insist on debating an issue that they claim does not exist.
Illogical logic 101
CURIOUS

Ocoee, FL

#99353 Apr 11, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>TROLL
(and you do not cause any thing lol you can believe that you cause anger just like you believe in Santa Claus.
Typical christian cult tactic is to attack the other person use non sense and spout lies)
Well,you are either angry,or your wisdom,or lack off,has led you into a mental state of foolishness. My opinion is based, on your intellectually void responses

Since: Apr 13

Berea, KY

#99354 Apr 11, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>Well,you are either angry,or your wisdom,or lack off,has led you into a mental state of foolishness. My opinion is based, on your intellectually void responses
You're cute ;) want to hang out some time big boyyyy!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99355 Apr 11, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>No one has ever observed a prayer cause an illness to be cured. People pray constantly for things to be cured. The rate of things being cured or just going away is consistent with chance or with the rate we expect them to go away.

The fact that one time out of a million someone says a prayer and then shortly after they actually get better is NOT evidence that prayer works. It's called a Post Hoc Fallacy. I eat ice cream, then lightning strikes my house. Did the ice cream cause the lightning?

Intercessory prayer (praying for other people) has been studied many times. The biggest and most well controlled studies find no evidence that this type of prayer does anything at all.

Now, just praying to yourself has a slim positive affect on how people feel. This is the placebo affect. It is the same kind of thing you get from a massage, meditation, or taking certain drugs like X or something.
Totally disagree with you there

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99356 Apr 11, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>EVERY problem gets resolved some how. If they get resolved 50% of the time in your favor that is the law of averages. Prayer has never been observed to cure anything or cause anything to happen. NO ONE has ever been cured of cancer by prayer. You may fall for the con artist faith healer because you want to believe that but it is not true.
YOU post crap that is not true and has nothing to back it up with. Just because you say made up things does not make them true and no one believes it to be true. THIS is why you shall not lie to our children who are innocent and trusting!
BUT HEY, NEXT TIME YOU ARE VERY SICK DO NOT GO TO A DOCTOR, JUST PRAY!
Totally disagree.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Somerset, KY

#99357 Apr 11, 2013
CURIOUS wrote:
<quoted text>
Quote Carl Sagan
which according to him
No he did not believe in God, Gods or Goddesses as In a Omnipresent, Omnipotent Being.... He thought the Universe followed Laws and those Laws could be construed as our God, Gods and Goddesses.... Comparing such nebulae thoughts to a view of One Omnipotent, omnipresent being that seeks obedience and prayer is in a word Goofy....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Night life in Barbourville 30 min Darren 4
Mike Smith For Sheriff (Feb '14) 34 min Darren 224
food stamp office 1 hr Client 13
Heard Nick Mandel almost died 1 hr Friend 4
county line 229 burglar 1 hr Neighbor 4
barbourville affordabe funeral home (Oct '08) 1 hr User 110
Court Dockets 1 hr Joann 4
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 1 hr dad 52
dinky phipps 2 hr friend 15
Barbourville Dating