Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,076

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#99181 Apr 9, 2013

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#99182 Apr 10, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
It is true,Jesus said those words and on the surface they appear as shocking and a total contradiction to his teachings.
Let us put things into perspective and see if there is information in the Bible that will clear up this contradiction.
Jesus taught in parables and at the time, he was teaching a crowd that had gathered to hear his teachings,
the key lies in the wording of"hate his own LIFE also. He did not say ,Hate yourself also
I can hate my life,due to the reason that,based on the fact that I lead my life according to my human nature,my life is not fullfilled.
Human nature has many bad components,Wecheat,we lie,we are envious,we steal,we are disrespectful of others,insolent,proud,boasters ,unmerciful,full of anger,unforgiving." Apostle Paul in Romans 3;28.32
In closing he states" He can not be my disciple,
In other words,those who live according to their human nature can not please God and cannot be Jesus's disciples. So neither Christ nor God hate the individual,they hate the manner in which they conduct their lives.
Now if we go to
Matthew 12:47-50
New King James Version (NKJV)
47 Then one said to Him,“Look, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside, seeking to speak with You.”
48 But He answered and said to the one who told Him,
“Who is My mother and who are My brothers?” 49 And He stretched out His hand toward His disciples and said,“Here are My mother and My brothers! 50
For whoever does the will of My Father in heaven is My brother and sister and mother
By the way, Thanks for accepting my apology.
I love apologetics.

Jesus tells us to hate our parents, and you find some acrobatic trick of language to make it seem as though he didn't REALLY say that.

Look, even if we interpret the Bible the way you suggest (and remember, you are interpreting it with your rational mind here, this is not God talking to you it is you applying reason to a text), then it still gives us a terrible message: we are depraved and wicked and unworthy.

I reject that message. Humans are flawed, but we are what we are. We should embrace our lives. We should live to the fullest, always with a mind to do the most good for others and avoid doing bad to them.

I love my mother and I reject this idea that I have to choose God over my own family.

F*ck that noise. Keep your God. I'll be over here playing with my kids, drinking good beer, and enjoying this life while I have it.

Location hidden

#99183 Apr 10, 2013
Question wrote:
I have a question why do you guys spend so much time reading bible verses ,just to argue? Why does it trouble you what another's belief is ? Evolution is something I do not believe ,but I care less if you want & do. I do not want to stop you,nor do I bother writing example after example on the foolish of it.
Why ,have you all asked yourself ??
Sure.

It matter to me what others believe because we live in a representative democracy. You vote. You vote for people who can and do affect my family by making laws. I want those who make laws for me to be as intelligent as possible and as secular as possible.

If you are a very religious person then chances are you prefer to vote for people who also believe similar to the way you believe. You stated that you reject the Theory of Evolution, and probably the idea of evolution itself. That tells me you are scientifically illiterate and possibly anti-intellectual. So you are going to be prone to vote for people who share those ideas. Bachamann, Santorum, Rick Perry, and other idiots who wouldn't know the business end of a book if you smacked them in the face with it.

I read a quote from an author, I can't remember who it was. He said it best, I think. He said he cares what others believe because he does not want to live in a nation of stupid people.

I agree totally.

Location hidden

#99184 Apr 10, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Both were bad.
- a Christian
Not regarding this post, but a previous one you made. I think you asked me why I referred to Christianity as a "death cult". I didn't reply and I can't find the post.

So, the use of the word cult is hyperbolic. I realize that. Cults tend to refer to smaller groups that exhibit far more extreme behavior. It is a loosely defined word, though. And the typical definition does not exclude Christianity, except in the aspect of size and degree.

Cults are groups that adhere to a strict belief system, have charismatic or powerful leaders that tend not to be questioned, discourage seeking information in 'the world', and separate people from their non-member family and friends.

The LDS and other faiths do these things to one degree or another. I know a couple who joined an Evangelical church and more-or-less distanced themselves from everyone else. We used to hang out and be friends, now they won't even darken our door. Their life is structured around the church's activities and they homeschool.

That's a cult.

It's a death cult because the central idea of Christianity is to live forever. It is obsessed with death. It's central figure is a man who was killed and it focuses on his death. I've been to a lot of churches and rarely did I ever hear a preacher talk about life. It was always about this march to death and what comes after it.

Death cult.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#99185 Apr 10, 2013
Question wrote:
I have a question why do you guys spend so much time reading bible verses ,just to argue? Why does it trouble you what another's belief is ? Evolution is something I do not believe ,but I care less if you want & do. I do not want to stop you,nor do I bother writing example after example on the foolish of it.
Why ,have you all asked yourself ??
Because arguing on the internet is fun.

Location hidden

#99186 Apr 10, 2013
-NEPHILIM- wrote:
<quoted text>
You know what they say, evolution works in mysterious ways. Besides, since evolution created everything, who are we to question it? Not believing in or even questioning evolution will send you to a place where you will be frozen and tortured for all eternity.
Sounds pretty FN stupid don't it?
I've been trying for over a week now to get him to recognize how illogical his argument is. Maybe you'll have better luck....maybe

Location hidden

#99187 Apr 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I love apologetics.
Jesus tells us to hate our parents, and you find some acrobatic trick of language to make it seem as though he didn't REALLY say that.
Look, even if we interpret the Bible the way you suggest (and remember, you are interpreting it with your rational mind here, this is not God talking to you it is you applying reason to a text), then it still gives us a terrible message: we are depraved and wicked and unworthy.
I reject that message. Humans are flawed, but we are what we are. We should embrace our lives. We should live to the fullest, always with a mind to do the most good for others and avoid doing bad to them.
I love my mother and I reject this idea that I have to choose God over my own family.
F*ck that noise. Keep your God. I'll be over here playing with my kids, drinking good beer, and enjoying this life while I have it.
I'll drink to that!
firm

Emmalena, KY

#99189 Apr 10, 2013
Religous values should be taught at home, not at school. There's a very good reason for seperation of church and state. Read your history. I stand firm for seperation of church and state.

Location hidden

#99190 Apr 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Not regarding this post, but a previous one you made. I think you asked me why I referred to Christianity as a "death cult". I didn't reply and I can't find the post.

So, the use of the word cult is hyperbolic. I realize that. Cults tend to refer to smaller groups that exhibit far more extreme behavior. It is a loosely defined word, though. And the typical definition does not exclude Christianity, except in the aspect of size and degree.

Cults are groups that adhere to a strict belief system, have charismatic or powerful leaders that tend not to be questioned, discourage seeking information in 'the world', and separate people from their non-member family and friends.

The LDS and other faiths do these things to one degree or another. I know a couple who joined an Evangelical church and more-or-less distanced themselves from everyone else. We used to hang out and be friends, now they won't even darken our door. Their life is structured around the church's activities and they homeschool.

That's a cult.

It's a death cult because the central idea of Christianity is to live forever. It is obsessed with death. It's central figure is a man who was killed and it focuses on his death. I've been to a lot of churches and rarely did I ever hear a preacher talk about life. It was always about this march to death and what comes after it.

Death cult.
You won't hear the LDS church focus on His death that much. We focus more on the living Christ while acknowledging the atonement and death that was necessary for salvation. That's why we don't use crosses on our spires.

Most of the time when you see people distance themselves from old friends when they become more religious, it isn't because their church told them to stay away. It's usually because they are changing their lifestyle and don't want to be around things that do not invoke the Spirit.

And our church is encouraged to pray about every aspect of our religion and receive their own answer. And if there is someone that disagrees with a decision, there is a process to put that on the table privately, or publicly.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99191 Apr 10, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Satan worshipers have most definitely set fire to church buildings. I'm sure you know this.
Christian bigots and racists have set fire to far more churches than "Satan worshipers" (not to be confused with Laveyan "Satanists") have. I'm sure you know this.

Location hidden

#99193 Apr 10, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>Christian bigots and racists have set fire to far more churches than "Satan worshipers" (not to be confused with Laveyan "Satanists") have. I'm sure you know this.
My point was, it's the pot calling the kettle black. There are extremist nuts in almost every group you can slice into when looking at data.

#99194 Apr 10, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Because arguing on the internet is fun.
And every boys gota have a hobby.....
Christofacism

Bowling Green, KY

#99195 Apr 10, 2013
concerned wrote:
The danger in teaching the Bible is that this book has the power to create faith even in an atheist. If it is allowed to be taught there is a strong possibility someone could be converted to Jesus Christ. Under the current world views is it possible to allow such a powerful tool for good to be taught in public schools and that before the young minds of the future?
Christofacism
You Can Choose

Salyersville, KY

#99196 Apr 10, 2013
Christofacism wrote:
<quoted text>
Christofacism
..'christofacism' providing there is such a word,
but I choose to follow the true teachings of Jesus
Christ which is Christian of which I know is a real
Word and the Way to Life. It is our free will which
allows each of us to choose our preparations for the
eternity which both of us know that is inevitable,
there is no essence in denying that!
curious

Ocoee, FL

#99197 Apr 10, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I love apologetics.
Let me respond to what You have suggested in your posting
Jesus taught in parables,as contained in the Gospel of Luike.
His parables contain a hidden meaning,which can not be discerned by human or natural reasoning.He clearly states his reason for teaching that way in Parable of The Sower LUKE 8;5 to 15.

Since he taught in parables,then I have to search for the hidden meaning contained therein.I found that meaning in matt 12;46 to 59 mk3;31 to 35 and luke 8;19 to 21 where Jesus explains the new relationship that we are to have with GOD.
Moreover,if one takes the parable literally, then one would find Jesus,contradicting his own teachings and the word of God See Luke 18;18 to 20.
You state that Human are flawed and I agree. Our flaws are very aptly described by the Apostle Paul
"Romans 1;29 to 31

29Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness,covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,

30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,

31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful

Now,we can live our lives,having those flaws and attempting,or as you say,having a mind to do the most good for others and avoid doing bad things to them.That is a noble thought,and although our minds urge us to do that,our human nature prevents us from accomplishing it.
Our human nature still continues to be flawed.
So that,as the Apostle Paul stated"That which we would do,we are unable to do, meaning ,Our minds tell us about our flaws and that our actions are wrong,we try to correct them,but are unable to.
In the Gospel of Luke,based on his teachings and parables,Jesus points out the flaws in our human nature and gives us a solution as to how to correct this situation.
When speaking to the Jewish religious leaders of the time,the Lawyers,scribes and the Pharisees,he rightly pointed out their hypocricy and what they needed to do in order to remedy their condition.
They were unable to refute the validity of the truth contained in his teachings,yet,would not accept them.
I understand completely how you feel.I've told you I was once an agnostic and felt toward God as you do..
And,as I have said before,I have tested God's word and Christ's
teachings and have found them to be true.
Would in no way change what I am now,to what I used to be.
Glad you shared your views with me and allowed me the opportunity to respond.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#99198 Apr 10, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
My point was, it's the pot calling the kettle black. There are extremist nuts in almost every group you can slice into when looking at data.
Watch your back. I hear there are some notoriously badass gangs in Utah.
http://utahtibetanassociation.org/
Christofacism

Bowling Green, KY

#99199 Apr 10, 2013
You Can Choose wrote:
<quoted text>
there is no essence in denying that!
Joe Biden: Christofacist
Profession Lawyer
Religion Roman Catholicism

'create a New World Order'

https://www.youtube.com/watch...
https://www.youtube.com/watch...

No Thanks
happy

United States

#99200 Apr 10, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
“Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed.”-Friedrich Nietzsche
Is that why u don't accept the truth?

#99201 Apr 10, 2013
You Can Choose wrote:
<quoted text>
there is no ssence in denying that!
There is a word... He just typed it out... Ubersphynoid is a word... Spinolsypholus is a word... and when I make a new word I get to make up the definitions too... Kewl....
happy

United States

#99202 Apr 10, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>That whole Hopey Changey thing is not my cup of tea... I'll stay grounded in reality and enjoy the ride through the mountains and stop now and then to photograph stuff, enjoy life and be happy with the time I have...
Great idea because it doesn't look like eternity is going to be fun for you .. Sadly

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY 'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 5 min No Surprize 154,157
Hey you 18 min monster 3
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 18 min Hmmmmmmmmm 5,701
knox board of ed raising taxes 39 min LOL 102
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 1 hr Tollesboro Guy 81,646
What happened at Stinking Creek? 2 hr vivian 96
The parent who flipped off and threatened every... 2 hr meeeee 12
kC principal injured 2 hr what happened 9
Knox parent out of control goes after student a... 2 hr saw it 22
Knox parent goes off at Bell and Knox football ... 18 hr record 10
•••
Barbourville Dating

more search filters