Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,030

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
Me

Winchester, KY

#98944 Apr 7, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>Why didn't wolves become extinct after wiener dog evolved from them? Dinosaurs were as Varied and abundant as assorted mammals today.. If a big rock hit the earth tomorrow and wiped out 90% of the mammals you still have 10% to fill the niches of the new environments..... We are a Mammal, apes are mammals, mice are mammals, elephants are mammals...

There were 1000's if not Millions of different kinds of Dinosaurs from some the size of a humming bird to 6 times the size of an elephant... And there were some mammals.. there were amphibians, reptiles, marsupials and insects....

Dinosaurs did not go extinct... Most of the various kinds died out but they Never went extinct.... Today we call them birds....

As for the uneducated part it's never to late to learn... You should start soon...
So do we need a big rock to hit the earth before we see a wolf turn into a wiener dog again. Lol
If you take a fish out of water it dies, The new environment doesn't change it to something else.
unfair

Morehead, KY

#98945 Apr 7, 2013
I have tried 2 different times to post on my belief upholding the bible. Neither one is on here. I will give it until tomorrow than if not posted I will block Topix from my computer .
unfairbut not interested

Morehead, KY

#98946 Apr 7, 2013
unfair wrote:
I have tried 2 different times to post on my belief upholding the bible. Neither one is on here. I will give it until tomorrow than if not posted I will block Topix from my computer .
After thinking it over,I am glad my posts are not on here ,it just leads to more arguments. My grandkids like topix and use my computer ,as does my daughter,so I'll let them continue to post. I am not interested in reading any more posts on this subject which has left off the original post .No one is answering the question on bible study at school which is typical for topix,always changing to arguments and forgetting what the subject was about. no fault of TOPIX,but people love to argue. God bless all. And goodbye .:)

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#98947 Apr 7, 2013
Me wrote:
<quoted text>
So do we need a big rock to hit the earth before we see a wolf turn into a wiener dog again. Lol
If you take a fish out of water it dies, The new environment doesn't change it to something else.
Gezz.. this is getting tiresome... There are fish that walk on land... the wolf to wiener dog is a very fast adaptation to evolutionary forces in that case Human got involved an acted as a natural selector but that change from Wolf to wiener dog happened in the blink of an eye on geological time... If you take a Clock and think of it as 12 hours equaling 65 million years (The time the last rock smacked us) the Wolf As We know it only showed up in the last 10 minutes on the clock... Before that the Wolf slowly changed as it was evolving in a fairly stable environmental niche... But from the time Man and Wolf started learning to not always kill each other for dinner until today when wiener dogs scamper about is the last 30 seconds on the 12 hour clock.... And if in that short amount of time (About 30,000 to 40,000 years) A Wolf can become wiener dog the in 400 Million Years a Dino has little problem becomeing a chicken...

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

#98948 Apr 7, 2013
Me wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.. and if a big rock hits us with enough kinetic energy to impact the environmental pressure to cause species to quickly change WE won't be here to see anything... We have over the last 50,000 years become too specialized in our ability to process foods and deal with fast environmental changes as a species and will be at a much higher chance to go extinct.... Some might last a few generations but I doubt it... But with all the New Open environmental niches that would open up that wiener dog might just become a 400 lb terror in a couple million years .... Then again a bunch of them might find the only food sources are fish and start learning to grab small fish, then start swimming to get at more fish and in a few million years look more like a Dolphin than a dog.....

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#98949 Apr 8, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Good point.
Personally, I don't think the two are exclusive. I think that God is the author of our scientific laws (such as gravity) and He operates within those laws normally. We don't fully understand how all these laws work but (to quote from Joe Dirt), it just does. His hand isn't in everything we do directly, but He normally works through other people.
Anyway, I see nothing wrong with learning as much as possible while on this earth, on as many useful topics as possible. But I don't see knowledge of science as proof that we don't need God, I see it as proof that a highly intelligent being is behind its conception.
For example, since I am Mormon, I believe that the church that Christ originally set up, is now restored. I do not see it a coincidence that this massive knowledge, and technological boom happened shortly after His church was restored. Inventions like the printing press made it possible to publish the ancient record that was unearthed and translated. The automobile, computers, Internet, etc make it possible to spread God's gospel all over the world in less than a second.
If the gospel would have come forth in the 1200's for example, it would be impossible for the entire world to listen to God's prophet and apostles speak to us, live on TV or internet (which is happening today at what we call General Conference).
These technologies boomed quickly after His church was restored. I say quickly because of the comparison of now vs. all recorded history. It's an exponential curve that takes off in the 1800's. His church was restored in 1830.
So anyway, I know fully well you will not agree, and that's ok, I just wanted to say that because of my beliefs, I see things a little differently, but still agree that science is fascinating and should be explored in almost all facets. I just do not think the goal should be to disprove a creator, nor to prove one.
Right, I certainly don't agree. For one thing, printing was around since 1450 and the BoM was like 1830. That's a 400 year difference. What makes 1830 so special?

Also, there are other new religions invented in the modern era that are closer to the internet, which is a far, far more powerful advance than printing ever was. By your argument, Scientology has a greater claim to being the word of God since it was invented in the 20th century much closer in time to the internet than the LDS.

That sort of thinking is fallacious because you are beginning with an answer (Mormon is right) and looking for things you believe support your evidence. Confirmation bias plays a role. For example, if there had been some amazing advance in medicine in 1830 that changed the world forever Mormons would constantly claim that it was due to the restoration of the church. But the fact is stuff happens all the time. Why does it have to be about your religion?

Also, most other Protestant faiths have the same claim that you have. They all believe theirs is in direct lineage from the original church. Otherwise, of course, they would admit to following a false religion. So that claim HAS to be made for legitimacy.

Anyway, thanks for the conversation. Very interesting.

Location hidden

#98950 Apr 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
I "againit" and it has nothing to do with men having sex or any religious positions... I'm against it because what Ever argument you make for it is the same argument that can be made for 2 men and a woman, 3 women and a man or 10 men and 10 women getting married... Such a move on a Federal Level to redefine the term Marriage allows for the next bump in culture that leads to 4 men and a Goat once goats are given equal status by the PETA folks.... I have not a homophobic thought in my head, have gay friends and could give a crap about who does who in their private lives.... I would have Just as much of a issue with a Heterosexual Pride Parade as a Gay Pride Parade as I not only don't give a crap who does who I think it should not be made a public display...
But Marriage has been defined as One Man and One Woman and to redefine it allows for a toe in the door for three women and a horse....
Nonsense. Marriage is about two consenting adults entering into a contract that is both legally and socially binding. This impending change will not affect that fact. This is just an acknowledgement that biology and reality do not care about tradition and sometimes traditions must change in order to make a more moral world.

You're smarter than this, Q. Weak slippery slope arguments are beneath you.

Location hidden

#98951 Apr 8, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
Evolution has been refuted by many scientists and scholars. That there are other scientists and scholars that still maintain a belief in evolution,is also true.
Obviously,I did not make myself very clear,or at least,not clear enough to your limited understanding.
Your limited unmderstanding is further confirmed,by trying to
tell me what it was that I experienced,since your opinion is based on something you know absolutely nothing about,thereby making you the least qualified to voice an opinion.
Moreover,since you need resort to insults,in order to justify your factless theory , let me leave you with this thought.
If Evolution is true,then one can conclude that YOUR intellect could evolve into a more sophisticared intellect,in which case,YOU would probably evolve back to YOUR origins,nonintelligent matter.
I don't understand how Creationists can make these types of nutty claims. "Factless theory"?? Have you ever cracked the spine of a biology book that didn't come from a church's printing press?

And you lead with a terrible false equivocation. Your characterization of the "debate" in science over this issue is just flatly WRONG. There are some people who have scientific credentials who reject evolution. True. Most of them are not biologists and do not have expertise in the field of biology. A few of them do. But to compare that gaggle of idiots to the f*cking OVERWHELMING community of disparate, professional scientists who not only accept the theory but are constantly challenging it with new information...that's a bold faced lie, dude.

Why are Creationist so dishonest?? It's infuriating.

Location hidden

#98952 Apr 8, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
True Bible knowledge knows the Earth is more than 6,000 years old. The Bible does not state how old the earth is! The account starts in the Bible book of Genesis by saying "In the begenning God created the heavens and the earth." Then it goes forward to preparing the earth for habitation...plant life, animal life then Humans! Humans have been on earth near 6,000 years and the fossil record supports that fact! The Bible is not at odds with Scientific fact but it does not support the fairy tale of evolution. Some try to pass off Evolution as scientific fact but nothing could be farther from the truth!
So you are an Old Earth Creationist? God starts on Day One, then billions of years pass before Day Six? No indication in the text of that being the case. Such a view requires you, a human, to inject your own reasoning into God's word. Very naughty.

Also, humans have been on the earth well over 150,000 or 200,000 years, not 6000. If you think the fossil record indicates 6000 then you need to check the record again. That 6000 year date comes from the nuthuts that count the "begats" in the OT. That's Young Earth Creationism.
TruthIs

Evarts, KY

#98953 Apr 8, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You make it sound like science and your cult are the same thing. Science does not blindly believe rather science disbelieves and tries to prove facts wrong.
And your "ape chart" was created by christians to try to discredit science. Yet another fraud propaganda from your cult.
Thank God...someone needed to point out just how ignorant that "we came from duh apes" theory was.
TruthIs

Evarts, KY

#98954 Apr 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no Eve, there was no garden of eden and there is no satan or devil.... That pretty much does away with that post....
There was no Admiral MenÚndez, Captain Jean Ribault, no Native Americans, no land of St Augustine and no ships either.
That pretty much does away with your irrationality.

Worm.
TruthIs

Evarts, KY

#98955 Apr 8, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
Then by your understanding you have refuted most religious beliefs.
James 2:19
You say you have faith, for you believe that there is one God. Good for you! Even the demons believe this, and they tremble in terror.
See faith and fear are synonymous.
Good luck with your beliefs.
California should be filtering salt out of ocean water and using it to water with, rather than depleting the Colorado river dry at alarming ratios.

WTH is the matter with you people anyway, geez.
TruthIs

Evarts, KY

#98956 Apr 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Actually evolution does not teach that man is any greater than other animals,but the bible certainly does.
Most Christains believe a god created the whole universe just for them.
BTW, many who believe in evolution also believe in gods.
Seems to me it takes quite an imagination to believe a god did anything.
No excuses (and THAT is an excuse)

I've never seen a critter read a book.

Worm.
TruthIs

Evarts, KY

#98957 Apr 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Egg. Why would you assume this could have no answer?
Wow..hmm.... I was looking at a chicken one day-and the next day I was looking at the chicken AND an egg.

(You don't know either!)
TruthIs

Evarts, KY

#98958 Apr 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>So what does Jesus look like?
What did Ceasar look like?

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#98959 Apr 8, 2013
Known Fact wrote:
<quoted text>
I take it your answer is the egg! Then what kept the egg warm so it could hatch? That's why I know that evolution does not have the answers!
Egg have been around long before any chickens were around. Birds evolved from dinosaurs. Chickens are almost identical in bone structure to dinosaurs.
Not all eggs need to be kept warm.
TruthIs

Evarts, KY

#98960 Apr 8, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Nothing... Eggs were around when there was no land animals at all.. fish lay eggs... Amphibians lay eggs.. So unless you just set rational thought and logic aside Eggs came Millions of years if not Billions of years before dinosaurs, which laid eggs and one genetic line became chickens....
My aquarium is full of viviparous fish. And I KNOW I saw the chicken fist, and Then the egg.
TruthIs

Evarts, KY

#98961 Apr 8, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>Egg have been around long before any chickens were around. Birds evolved from dinosaurs. Chickens are almost identical in bone structure to dinosaurs.
Not all eggs need to be kept warm.
Chicken eggs however, do!

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98962 Apr 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>Right, I certainly don't agree. For one thing, printing was around since 1450 and the BoM was like 1830. That's a 400 year difference. What makes 1830 so special?

Also, there are other new religions invented in the modern era that are closer to the internet, which is a far, far more powerful advance than printing ever was. By your argument, Scientology has a greater claim to being the word of God since it was invented in the 20th century much closer in time to the internet than the LDS.

That sort of thinking is fallacious because you are beginning with an answer (Mormon is right) and looking for things you believe support your evidence. Confirmation bias plays a role. For example, if there had been some amazing advance in medicine in 1830 that changed the world forever Mormons would constantly claim that it was due to the restoration of the church. But the fact is stuff happens all the time. Why does it have to be about your religion?

Also, most other Protestant faiths have the same claim that you have. They all believe theirs is in direct lineage from the original church. Otherwise, of course, they would admit to following a false religion. So that claim HAS to be made for legitimacy.

Anyway, thanks for the conversation. Very interesting.
Not disagreeing with you that it could easily be coincidence. I just believe that God was preparing the way in His own time. Even the foundation of a free country where the Gospel could be brought forth looks like God's hand at work to me.

And as for the Protestant statement, they should know their own roots.
First, the Bible says you can't grow good fruit from a dead tree. They all believe the Catholic Church was a dead tree.
The founders of both the Baptist and Wesleyan Church readily admitted that Christ's true church was no longer on the earth and would not be unless angels came to restore it.

“Breaking the spell ”

Since: Dec 10

of the puppet master

#98963 Apr 8, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Nonsense. Marriage is about two consenting adults entering into a contract that is both legally and socially binding. This impending change will not affect that fact. This is just an acknowledgement that biology and reality do not care about tradition and sometimes traditions must change in order to make a more moral world.
You're smarter than this, Q. Weak slippery slope arguments are beneath you.
Q is against gay marriage because he is a republican. He must tow the party line. Note how he is perfectly logical in his arguments on religion, yet keeps failing to be logical when debating politics. That is what happens when someone tries to make his preconceived beliefs sound reasonable. This is why the god believers keep failing the logic test.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 5 min bloodonmyhands 4,912
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 7 min DITCH MITCH 153,514
whos the best looking at jack wws 1 hr dad 3
knox board of ed raising taxes 1 hr bbbb 84
Looking for Billy Mills 1 hr Billy G Mills 6
Dylan Mills (Sep '08) 1 hr Olliver 9
new hunting and fishing store 2 hr john 5
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 4 hr Praying for everyone 20
A Rat In Knox County 6 hr Genius 8
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••