Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
94,441 - 94,460 of 128,588 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
right

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

PREVIOUS PATIENT AT KDMC wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I misunderstood. I also BELIEVE I was CREATED in the image of God! I have joined this thread several different times (with time in between) & this thread has turned into a discussion that doesn't even pertain to the ACTUAL STORY written! There are those who use this thread just to be mean, nasty, & down right disrespectful! I have said that I respectfully bowed out before, but this time I really mean it! God's Word tells us NOT to partake in foolishness, whether in rage or laughter, for you will have no rest. I thank God for reminding me again & for His forgiveness & for being ever so FAITHFUL, even when @ times that I'm not! Thank you LORD, in Jesus' Name! AMEN
Before all you UNBELIEVERS trash me, this is MY belief & right to post no matter how you believe. I also believe in the POWER of PRAYER, so, I'll be praying that God will open your hearts & minds to Him before it's everlasting TOO LATE! This is also my RIGHT to do so.
Again I apologize. you are right it is wrong to ever make light or joke on anything pertaining to God. I am just annoyed with all the crap on evolution that puts down God . As I said I rarely go to church (I need to for sure ). Your correction is appreciated,I needed reminded. forgive me .No more jokes from me ,OK?
Doll

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Lolhaiti wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, okay, I agree with this. Teach, but not preach.
When I was in grade we had the option to attend weekday religious education. No preaching or trying to push a certain religion. We waked to a church down the block. Only about two parents objected. The ones that didn't go had study hall. I loved it. I believe those other kids would have loved to have gone but their parents wouldn't allow it. Most always there is a choice in these things. EXCEPT..Science. We had no choice. It was mandatory. Do it or get an "F" or zero every day. I participated in both and I had no problems with it. Back then if a teacher even remotely implied there was "no God" they would have been severely dealt with.
So true

Big Clifty, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

right wrote:
<quoted text>
No of course not-I am being silly. Sorry. Just trying to show how stupid it is to believe in evolution and coming from Apes. Yet none of the posters who uphold evolution will say that their ancestors were apes. Wonder WHY NOT ? I believe I was made in the image of God(which is my faith,though I do not go to church as much as I should ) Their faith says they came from apes ,so why not agree that their family tree has indeed apes .
be the first to tell ya, plenty of monkeys in mine..:)

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>I disagree. You have no more information about life before or after death than I do. All I can go on is what is observed to be true. And it strongly suggests we die, end of story. I don't understand why I need to "seek" a deity or find faith. Again, thanks. But it is kind of arrogant that Christians hold this particular, narrow view and assume that everyone else needs it too.

The world is a much bigger place than the Bible paints it be. And much richer, to boot. Christianity is, at the root, a death cult.
I understand. The offer is there. No need for me to nag you about it.
I do disagree that it is a narrow view. It's just simply A view. Every opinion could be considered narrow. But as we all know, only one view can be right. Our task is to find out which view that is.
So true

Big Clifty, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
Each person should strive to know all they can know within their lifetime, in all fields, in all areas of knowledge, but should never lose sight that they will always know far less than they do not know...
love it , you are so correct. That's why I read you guys. You all do reach interesting points at times, and I do learn
Doll

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

God made male and female of every species and told them to bring forth after their own kind. Does that make God an ape? He said He created us in His own image.
So true

Big Clifty, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand. The offer is there. No need for me to nag you about it.
I do disagree that it is a narrow view. It's just simply A view. Every opinion could be considered narrow. But as we all know, only one view can be right. Our task is to find out which view that is.
too each their own as they say.. I pray for all to be rich and safe, but I know that want take place, but I can still think if I pray, it might help me, by lettin me help those in need when I can.. Have a great day..:)

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Doll wrote:
God made male and female of every species and told them to bring forth after their own kind. Does that make God an ape? He said He created us in His own image.
Since there is no god and that did not happen I would say that you do not understand reality because no one except the christian cult has ever said that man came from apes.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
... But as we all know, only one view can be right. Our task is to find out which view that is.
But how do you do that without evidence? Every religion is certain that they are right and everyone else is wrong. You realize that don't you?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

So true wrote:
<quoted text> too each their own as they say.. I pray for all to be rich ...
I thought Jesus was against getting rich. I must be thinking of some other fairy tale.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Since there is no god and that did not happen I would say that you do not understand reality because no one except the christian cult has ever said that man came from apes.
Question for you,
Why do you insist on using the word cult?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>But how do you do that without evidence? Every religion is certain that they are right and everyone else is wrong. You realize that don't you?
Read it again please.
I said that only one view can be right. I didn't say religion.
Meaning that atheists that believe there is nothing after death could be right. Either way, there will be only one scenario that happens after we die. It doesn't matter if we, as a race, had 6 billion ideas of what will happen after death, only one will be right.
Do you understand what I meant?

You are correct for the most part. Most everyone feels that their stance is correct. There aren't many that are open in saying, oh well I might be wrong. And there is a percentage that treat religion like insurance. In other words, Well I don't believe anything happens when we die, but just in case, I'm going to go to church. I see this as wasted time. You either act on what you believe, or don't believe it. Don't be undecided.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Question for you,
Why do you insist on using the word cult?
You are told what to think, every one else is an outsider, every one else is evil, no one else understands, avoid the secular world, do not question, etc....
Christianity is a cult. Preachers jump from verse to verse so you can not grasp the concept of the verse, instead of answering hard questions they attack you for asking (you do not understand the bible is the same answer over and over)
Killing any one who is not a part of your religion, all of the Abrahamic religions are cults

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Read it again please.
Meaning that atheists that believe there is nothing after death could be right. Either way, there will be only one scenario that happens after we die. It doesn't matter if we, as a race, had 6 billion ideas of what will happen after death, only one will be right.
You are correct for the most part. Most everyone feels that their stance is correct. There aren't many that are open in saying, oh well I might be wrong. And there is a percentage that treat religion like insurance. In other words, Well I don't believe anything happens when we die, but just in case, I'm going to go to church. I see this as wasted time. You either act on what you believe, or don't believe it. Don't be undecided.
This is very rational. It is rare that a religious person comes on a forum such as this (in which many atheists are also posting) and concedes such an important point.

Here is a follow up to what you said:

If we don't know the final answer, does that mean we cannot find ways of getting close to being right? If so, it would mean that all pursuit of knowledge is futile and meaningless. I think that looking around at all the incredible things we've accomplished through careful study, investigation, and trial and error shows that pursuit of knowledge is important. It changes lives. And life is really the only thing we have for sure.

So if we can have knowledge (we virtually wiped out polio...we CAN have knowledge), then there is going to be an optimal pathway to that knowledge. What is the optimal pathway?

Religion did not get rid of polio. It didn't invent the wheel, hand soap, or the Space Shuttle. Reason did all of that. Reason leads to science.

I argue that science *appears* to be the best pathway to finding truth.

This of course has nothing to do with your freedom to believe what you want to believe. I would fight and die for that freedom. I'm just pointing out my view of the world and supporting my view with evidence.

(And lest anyone should pop in and point out that many scientists are also religious...I don't care. Their religion wasn't what led to their scientific discoveries. It was the methodology of science, the application of reason and value of evidence. Newton was a devout Christian but nothing in the theology of Christianity helped him figure out his laws of motion.)
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure thing, glad you asked.
So if you are asking me literally what I now about God the answer is nothing. I don't believe in God, never seen a God, and since there is no record of anyone else ever seeing a God I can't really answer the question. If God exists then he either only shares information about himself with people privately and never allows himself to be observed or verified or he is absolutely outside of our reality.
Now, if you are asking me about my personal experience and knowledge about religion I do have some. I got saved when I was a lad and it was a terrifying experience. I spent a few years worrying about Hell then went through a short Jesus phase. Then all of that stuff quickly started to fall away and by the time I was 35 I was calling myself an atheist. I don't think I ever really believed. Some atheists did believe very strongly before losing their faith. I never did. I could never get past certain problems with religion.
For example, I could not accept that God is good and that he sends people to Hell. It made no sense to me even as a teenager. As I got older I started to expand that thought and I realized that a world in which kids can suffer painfully and die is not a world in which a loving God exists.
End of story for me.
But I have a really strong interest in religious beliefs, skepticism, and science. So I am fairly well versed in the various religions. Particularly the Christian sects since that is my heritage.
Now, if I was going to look for God I really have no idea how I'd go about doing that. I'm a naturalist. I don't do the whole praying thing and I don't do faith. If God doesn't have the common decency to leave me some overt and unambiguous evidence that he in fact does exist then I have no real way to ever find him. And it strikes me as a little dubious that he would create me with a rational mind that he knows will seek evidence, then provide me with no evidence.
Test of faith? Without some kind of firm evidence which faith am I to accept as the true one? Billions of people accept faiths other than Christianity with just as much passion and sincerity. How do I know they aren't the true ones?
There is no way to test for God. It is a magical idea that is not in the domain of nature and therefore outside of science. It is purely a matter of faith, not reason.
And that is why ideas such as Creationism are always rejected by science. They are also based on faith, not reason. Science is a product of reason. Faith is not in the recipe.
Glad you answered,.I was raised a Catholic,family tradition.My family seldom went to church.
I was taught the OUR Father,Hail Mary,Apostles Creed and some other prayers and told to repeat them before I went to sleep and when I got up in the morning.So,I did as I was told.
As I got older,about,14 years old, I drifted away from that process,dropped out of High school and went to work,menial job,selling magazine subscriptions door to door
Picked up some bad habits along the way.
I was not making a lot of money,I learned to scheme,planned car accidents,so I could sue,stole a blank baptisimal certificate,used that to establish a phony identification,used that to establish credit and defrauded anumber of clothing and furniture stores. Raised additional cash by borrowing $3000. from HFC.
Then at age 28,decided to get GED diploma.Scored 260 out of possible 270 on my final test.Applied for loan for college and was accepted. By now ,was married and had 2 kids.
Took a 101 course in philosophy. My proffesor laid out what I thought were some compelling arguments for not believing in God.
CONTIUE ON NEXTPOST
curious

Winter Garden, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Some of those same arguments have been posted on this thread.
So,I became an agnostic.If God existed,I certainly was not aware of it,moreover I did not need him. I believed,as a result ,of my schemes,at which I was very successful,that I could accomplish whatever I desired.I believed I could deal with any problem that I would be confronted with.

became very cocky" arrogant". I finished college and got a job a job in sales with a Business forms company. Became very succesful at what I was doing. Then I was confronted with a problem
for which I ,try as I might,could not find a solution.I lived with this problem for about 3 weeks and it was causing me a great deal of mental anguish. I was desperate,and concluded that,maybe God could help me

.But,I did not really believe that,if there is aGod,that he would help me. To me it seemed a waste of time.
But,desperate times call for desperate measures,I decided to pray to God,but not let anyone know what I was doing. I did not want to make a fool of myself,in the event that my prayer was not answered.

That day I prayed and that very same day,my prayer was answered in such a way,that I could find no explanation for the result,other than God responding.That particular event,did not convince me that God truly existed,but it did arouse my curiosity.After that event took place,I bought a bible and started reading it,what I read,further aroused my curiosity...Over a period of time,by putting what I read in the bible into practice and diligently seeking God,other problems that I confronted were resolved as a result of prayer.Things that I read in the Bible,which I did not understand and seemed to be nonsensical,suddenly became clear to me.
That is the basis for my faith..
What I know about evolution,the big bang theory and scientific theories for life coming into being,other than through God,is very
limited.But we can discuss one and the other,in gentle manly terms.
One thing,I will not be able to prove God's existence. only God can prove his existence,what I can tell you is why I believe God Exists
Kitty

Monticello, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Since there is no god and that did not happen I would say that you do not understand reality because no one except the christian cult has ever said that man came from apes.
What a stupid statement and a big lie to prop it up with. You don't and can't know that. I just take my belief on Faith. You have neither..not proof and no Faith. Where is the evidence that holds up your "there is no God" heresy? What facts make Christians a cult and not the anti-Christ/ Atheists. I want to see that please. I'll give it a look see, but it must hold water better than my Bible. By what authority do you declare such things to be true.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
Read it again please.
I guess I don't understand your point. Nor do I understand the distinction you're trying to make between "religion" and "view".
While I agree with you that there is only one reality, and there can be only one thing that happens after we die, I disagree with the irrelevance you've placed on the beliefs that we have while alive. You make decisions based on your beliefs, or at least are affected by your beliefs (the fact that we're having this conversation is proof). Some of those decisions could affect other people's lives (e.g., who you vote for, passing a bill to establish a state religion,...etc.). It's not trivial, nor irrelevant.

And it's more than just atheism vs theism. It, to me, is the silliness of Pascal's Wager. If you agree with Pascal and hold the position that it is better to believe than not, how are you to choose the correct god (let alone religion/denomination)? There is no more evidence for any brand of faith than the other.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You are told what to think, every one else is an outsider, every one else is evil, no one else understands, avoid the secular world, do not question, etc....
Christianity is a cult. Preachers jump from verse to verse so you can not grasp the concept of the verse, instead of answering hard questions they attack you for asking (you do not understand the bible is the same answer over and over)
Killing any one who is not a part of your religion, all of the Abrahamic religions are cults
Yeah we all get the definition of cult, but why use it? It is only a term used when degrading someone else. Is that your sole purpose? To degrade others that believe differently than you?

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

http://www.panoramio.com/user/

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
That's funny, Q. Cherry picked quotes. And one of them is from a think tank DEVOTED to destroying AGW. How does that one fit into the theme of "they're changing their tune"? I would not accept that one on the face of it, especially in a AGW denier jpg.
Also, please understand I am not married to AGW. I am not well schooled on that topic so all I can really do is give my conditional trust to what the majority of scientists tell me. I've read some of it, it makes sense, I'm ok with it.
But you more than most people on this thread should be aware that science is always always ALWAYS *conditional* and subject to change. This topic of AGW is a young idea and in a frenzy of debate. I think that you are correct in saying there is a sort of quasi-religion surrounding "green". But I think it is also true that the push back comes from the quasi-religious idea of magical Free Market Capitalism with it's mystical Invisible Hand. The push back is all about protecting the market, and that has its own high priests and clergy.
Can we not agree that this is young science, still debated, subject to massive changes over the next decades? I'm happy to accept that some of its ideas are or might be wrong. That is what I love about science. It can be wrong. But I am not willing to reject it outright because some libertarians think they should have no limits. I will reject it outright when it is proven false and people smarter than me are convinced it is false.
Know what I mean?
Well Lets see... No Significant temperature increase in the last 15 years seems to make the point... http://cfact.org/pdf/2010_Senate_Minority_Rep...

There are literally 1000's of people smarter than the both of us combined that have come around to the obvious...

Consensus in erroneous conclusions have always done great damage in science..

But I do like that you are going with the "There is Vigorous Debate" that's actually headway sense I have had to listen to "There is No Debate" by Believers it was getting annoying...

And I disagree it's New Science... It's the Same science and the Same claims made in the 40's when we were all going to die from ice caps melting and run away sea rise, and the 70's when we were all going to freeze and the globe was going to be a big ball of ice, and the science of the 90's when again we are all going for the big swim in a tropical Arctic Ocean...

If Ever Consensus in the scientific community goes for the There is no man made global warming, that went I start looking hard at how man is actually causing global warming....

As for Capitalism versus Socialism... Capitalism gives us Electricity, Cars, Vaccines, abundance of food, TV's, Radios and all the tools to fix my motorcycle.... Socialism give you totalitarian rule and mass graves....

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

29 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 15 min Cornelius Scudmister 146,193
Crystal Gray 31 min Let me know 3
just seen what goin on 35 min huh 4
KY Paul vs Conway: The Nastiest Debate Of 2010 | T... (Oct '10) 3 hr oscar 16,116
KY Woman's head stepped on by Rand Paul supporters (Oct '10) 3 hr terri 26,184
KY Hundreds of birds die in western Ky. (Jan '11) 3 hr sad 81,569
KY Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? (Aug '13) 4 hr shew 1,014
Stivers Center fixes 4 hr City Slicker 26
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••