Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,479

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story
little women

Morehead, KY

#98769 Apr 6, 2013
Evolution is a joke,and only men who are sissy's and can not bear to think that anything is greater than themselves . They will not accept God,because they think it would interfere with their macho manhood. So evolution is taught, that way they can feel superior to all other forms of life.(Though man, himself does not believe in evolution, for it stretches the imagination beyond it's limits, yet it keeps women & children from believing in a God ,who is greater than man.

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#98770 Apr 6, 2013
excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting! In order to "argue" the christian side of this, you believed the Bible.
Your intrepretation of ONE sermon that ONE preacher gave ( other preacher's copied) turned you 90 degrees?
What Bible were you reading and What Preacher's were you listening to?
I read the KJV 1611. But if you read my post I stated that reading the bible and the preachers made me start to question.
One of the biggest questions was how could such an evil hate filled god all of a sudden turn in to a god that just loves every one. Do you deny that your god was evil, violent, hate filled, blood lusting? Why did "god", who created everything, need man to kill animals for ritual blood sacrifice? Ask questions like this and the con artist will stammer how "you need to understand the bible" Well, I do understand the bible and I have read the whole thing cover to cover several times.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#98771 Apr 6, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Opinion and possible conjecture does not equate to evidence.
No one (that I'm aware of) is arguing that the evidence supporting evolution is complete. But, the overwhelming majority of the scientific community is convinced that it is the best explanation based on the evidence.
I'm sure if you were able to travel back in time you'd find a handful of dissenting academic opinions about the earth being spherical instead of flat.
Why do you think a handful of dissenting opinions equates (and negates) the entire fossil record?
You stated that opinions and possible conjecture does not equate to evidence....
But, that is not what my faith in God and Jesus Christ is based on.

That the majority of the Scientific Community believes that Evolution is the best explanation is their opinion.
What they are unable to explain is,How did life come into existence.Their theory is that nonliving matter( chemicals found in the earth) spontaneously transformed itself into a living cell,but,they are unable to explain how this occurred.Science has tried to create life in laboratory experiments and failed.
About 30 years ago,Science confirmed that the same chemicals found in the earth are also found in the human body.
That finding merely served to prove that which is stated in the Bible. Gen2;7 And the lord God,formed man of the dust of the ground,and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life,and man became a living soul.

So evolutionists and the Bible,both agree that we were formed from nonliving matter,but if you notice,the Bible does not say that
man spontaneously came to life,,,,It says, and God breathed life into his nostrils,the breath of LIFE and man became a living soul.
On the other hand Science claims that nonlliving matter unexplicably transformed itself into a living molecule.
When I test the Theory of Evolution,I find it incomplete,as you have stated,refutable and unable to explain how life came into being

When I test GOD"S WORD( not a theory)If you diligently seek me you will find me,,,His word DOES not fail me.I searched for him and his response to my prayers LEAVE me convinced as to his existence...
So,my faith in God,is not based on conjecture or opinions or theories
It is based on my own personal experiences.
I have tested HIS WORD and found it to be true.
little women

Morehead, KY

#98772 Apr 6, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I read the KJV 1611. But if you read my post I stated that reading the bible and the preachers made me start to question.
One of the biggest questions was how could such an evil hate filled god all of a sudden turn in to a god that just loves every one. Do you deny that your god was evil, violent, hate filled, blood lusting? Why did "god", who created everything, need man to kill animals for ritual blood sacrifice? Ask questions like this and the con artist will stammer how "you need to understand the bible" Well, I do understand the bible and I have read the whole thing cover to cover several times.
god never had humans sacrificed ,though Abraham offered issac,god would not let him take Issac's lif,He provided a sheep. we,humans kill or (buy animals that are already slaughtered ) to eat. We love the smell of a fine pork roast cooking ,a the smell of a steak on the grill. God like the "sweet savory smell of the sacrifice " the bible says. And read on,the meat did not go to waste,it was eaten by the priests. Man ,having nothing better to offer God,killed the same animal that he would eat himself and offered it as a gift.
If you think it is wrong to kill an animal,why do you eat fried chicken ? steaks ? hamburgers ? roasts & etc. Why on Hoildays do we fix turkey on Thanksgivinng ? Ham for easter ? Reason man always celebrates with food. If god is wrong,than so are we.
little women

Morehead, KY

#98773 Apr 6, 2013
little women wrote:
<quoted text>
god never had humans sacrificed ,though Abraham offered issac,god would not let him take Issac's lif,He provided a sheep. we,humans kill or (buy animals that are already slaughtered ) to eat. We love the smell of a fine pork roast cooking ,a the smell of a steak on the grill. God like the "sweet savory smell of the sacrifice " the bible says. And read on,the meat did not go to waste,it was eaten by the priests. Man ,having nothing better to offer God,killed the same animal that he would eat himself and offered it as a gift.
If you think it is wrong to kill an animal,why do you eat fried chicken ? steaks ? hamburgers ? roasts & etc. Why on Hoildays do we fix turkey on Thanksgivinng ? Ham for easter ? Reason man always celebrates with food. If god is wrong,than so are we.
The breast and right shoulder of the animal were then separated from each other, the shoulder being laid aside as the portion for the officiating priest. The breast was "waved", that is, raised in symbolic presentation to the Lord, and was given to the priests to be eaten either boiled or roasted in some clean place (Lev. 7:30ff; 10:13ff). The rest of the meat belonged to the offeror, furnishing food for the sacrificial feast for himself and his family. In the case of the thank offering, it must be eaten the same day; in other cases it could have been eaten on the second day, but no later. Whatever was not eaten had to be burned, but not on the altar (Lev. 7:15-17; 22:30).
curious

Ocoee, FL

#98774 Apr 6, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>We are not left with two choses, we are left with infinite possibilities. Again YOU do not get to limit or set those possibilities
We are left with infinite possibilities,but,there is no possibility that you will be able to answer the question I posed;
as I have previously stated
Since you are unable to explain how the male species was able to create itself,or how the female species was able to create itself and then,independently and without prior knowledge of how one or the other is constructed,somehow,were able to develop a process by which they'the male and female"would be able to insure the continuation of the human species,which occurs when the chromosoms of the male fertilizes the chrosomes"egg'' of the female.
The reason you,or anyone else can not explain it is because that is not how we came into BEING.
So then,you are left with 2 choices,admit that you do not know how it happened or respond with an answer that has NO relationship whatsoever with the question being posed.Obviously you opted for the second choice

By the way,your Evolutionary theory has left you with a spelling deficiency...You wrote(We are not left with two choses)
The word is spelled CHOICES
The correct way to use the word Choses in a sentence,by someone who believes in evolution would be.
I choses to believe nonsensical theories..... lol
curious

Ocoee, FL

#98775 Apr 6, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Really? Q is much better educated and knowledgeable than I am. This is shown in every post.
While I can grasp the concepts of energy and matter he has more knowledge about them than I do.
You on the other hand have no idea so it must be god.
I bet you think god puts electricity at your house for you because you can not understand how else it gets there
Be that,as it may; The fact is that,neither of you is able to explain how,through evolution,the following process took place
So,let me try again

explain how the male species was able to create itself,or how the female species was able to create itself and then,independently and without prior knowledge of how one or the other is constructed,somehow,were able to develop a process by which they'the male and female"would be able to insure the continuation of the human species,which occurs when the chromosoms (sperm of the male fertilizes the chrosomes"egg'' of the female

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#98776 Apr 6, 2013
Evolution wrote:
Hello I am Evolution- I started from nothing,for nothing was in existence (no form of matter existed absolutely nothing.)
But over billions of years some unknown material evolved ,and I with no body,no brain,no eyes ,no legs,no feet ,no heart,no life created everything.
But as hard as this is to believe, I am responsible for all forms of life now living on planet earth,and through out the universe.
Only the very wise can comprehend this. Behold all stars,moon,sun,mankind,animals ,insects,birds,fish, plants ,trees ,all done by one with no life ,no brain .MIRACLE? Yes that's me ,Behold EVOLUTION
Wow, you really don't know anything about science do you?

Also, your style of posting and common grammatical errors are incredibly similar to a few other posters on here. Hmm....very curious. Very curious indeed.
curious

Ocoee, FL

#98777 Apr 6, 2013
GWB wrote:
<quoted text>
The Challenge of the Fossil Record, by Duane T. Gish, 1985, pp. 180-204. These books must, of course, be taken with a large grain of salt because they, too, leave out whatever evidence does not support their ideas.
Subj : Jehovah Witness' Little Blue Lie
The following is extracted from a general commentary on the
Watchtower Society book _Life - How Did It Get Here? By Evolution
Or By Creation?
http://www.skeptictank.org/files/moretext/jwi...
GWB,My point is that,the theory of Evolution has been refuted.
To me,it is not valid,My belief in God,based on my Personal experiences,has convinced me that GOD DOES EXIST.,as I stated in a posting to SPECTACLES...Which,if you are interested in reading,should be about 4 or 5 posts before this one...
You have a blessed day
GWB

Roseville, CA

#98778 Apr 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You stated that opinions and possible conjecture does not equate to evidence....
That the majority of the Scientific Community believes that Evolution is the best explanation is their opinion.
What they are unable to explain is,How did life come into existence.Their theory is that nonliving matter( chemicals found in the earth) spontaneously transformed itself into a living cell,but,they are unable to explain how this occurred.Science has tried to create life in laboratory experiments and failed.
About 30 years ago,Science confirmed that the same chemicals found in the earth are also found in the human body.
That finding merely served to prove that which is stated in the Bible. Gen2;7 And the lord God,formed man of the dust of the ground,and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life,and man became a living soul.
So evolutionists and the Bible,both agree that we were formed from nonliving matter,but if you notice,the Bible does not say that
man spontaneously came to life,,,,It says, and God breathed life into his nostrils,the breath of LIFE and man became a living soul.
On the other hand Science claims that nonlliving matter unexplicably transformed itself into a living molecule.
When I test the Theory of Evolution,I find it incomplete,as you have stated,refutable and unable to explain how life came into being
When I test GOD"S WORD( not a theory)If you diligently seek me you will find me,,,His word DOES not fail me.I searched for him and his response to my prayers LEAVE me convinced as to his existence...
I call it a Jehovah's Witness filibuster, lol.

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Heidrick, KY

#98779 Apr 6, 2013
Mike Duquette wrote:
<quoted text>I have no idea how it all started. I do like to know what we can find out, but I think the "theory for everything" is a bit ambitious. The mysteries are kind of fun
I see no reason worms would evolve to speak, but who knows.
Each person should strive to know all they can know within their lifetime, in all fields, in all areas of knowledge, but should never lose sight that they will always know far less than they do not know...

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98780 Apr 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem fixated on the origin of life. You criticize science for being unable to explain it, but the same question is just as applicable to your own beliefs.
I'll ask again...where did your god come from? Explain that to me.

Location hidden

#98781 Apr 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to be supremely misinformed about science.

However, if you have been doing these debates for a while then you have been exposed to actual information about how science works and the specifics of the Theory of Evolution. If that is the case, then you are *willfully ignorant* about this topic.

Go to these websites, for starters, and do some cursory, basic research on the science of evolution. Read it from the standpoint of a person who actually has in interest in truth. Then come back and have a discussion.

And I would offer this same advice to the others on here who are saying ridiculous things about science and holding cartoon views of evolution.

http://www.talkorigins.org/

http://www.nas.edu/evolution/TheoryOrFact.htm...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

Heidrick, KY

#98782 Apr 6, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow, you really don't know anything about science do you?
Also, your style of posting and common grammatical errors are incredibly similar to a few other posters on here. Hmm....very curious. Very curious indeed.
Yup, Not a clue.... It is actually depressing to see so many that have no burning desire to know just the small amount the the human species has learned in it's second of cosmic time on this tiny insignificant ball of rock and water..... There are of course several on this thread that have a thirst to learn but being in the hills of Kentucky I find it amazing how many never take the opportunity to seek knowledge that mankind has gathered over the centuries much less seek to find that yet to be known...
what

Elkhorn City, KY

#98783 Apr 6, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>LOL...
Hundreds of Billions of generations of bacteria grown over the course of science history, and NONE ever crawled out of a dish, and went to school... Still Bacteria... Gee, if Eviltuion was true, you'd expect something to happen!
u do realize evolution like u want to take place happens over billions of years and that humans havent even been on the earth even close to a million yrs yet? i couldnt expect much more i guess cuz u still believe a god that says the world will last a thousand but not thousands of yrs and then try to validate the world lasting longer than 2 thousand yrs by sayin we dont know the time scale that god uses or something to the effect that a day is a thousand yrs to god and a thousand yrs is a day or some other crazy thing just so u can validate believing in the false prophecy that the holy bible is full of.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98784 Apr 6, 2013
good job wrote:
... So Lamarck imagined that over generations the habit of continually reaching for the higher browse produced in the giraffe's ancestors a lengthening of the legs and neck.
That may have been what Lamarck thought, I can't speak to that. Your post seems to imply that effort / intent brings about adaptation. But that is not what evolution is about. Again, I'll refer you to the bright minds at Berkeley:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/misc...

Location hidden

#98785 Apr 6, 2013
curious wrote:
<quoted text>
GWB,My point is that,the theory of Evolution has been refuted.
To me,it is not valid,My belief in God,based on my Personal experiences,has convinced me that GOD DOES EXIST.,as I stated in a posting to SPECTACLES...Which,if you are interested in reading,should be about 4 or 5 posts before this one...
You have a blessed day
If the Theory of Evolution was refuted the person who did it would be a rock star and a household name.

So no, it has not been refuted.

Also, why does acceptance of possibly the most solid scientific theory in history have to result in you not believing in God?

Kenneth R. Miller is a famous scientist and author who is both a practicing Christian and a strong supporter of science education and the teaching of evolution in schools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_R._Mille...

Location hidden

#98786 Apr 6, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
That may have been what Lamarck thought, I can't speak to that. Your post seems to imply that effort / intent brings about adaptation. But that is not what evolution is about. Again, I'll refer you to the bright minds at Berkeley:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/misc...
Lamarck was definitely wrong about how evolution works. And that is why we don't teach "Lamarckian Evolution".

However, the concept of epigenetics does seem to indicate that something remotely similar to what Lamarck thought might actually be true. It doesn't vindicate his idea since he was just making a sort of "common sense" observation. But it is interesting.

"In biology, and specifically genetics, epigenetics is the study of changes in gene expression or cellular phenotype, caused by mechanisms other than changes in the underlying DNA sequence hence the name epi-(Greek: &#949;&#960;&#943; - over, above, outer)-genetics, some of which are heritable."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics
little women

Morehead, KY

#98787 Apr 6, 2013
22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.
little women

Morehead, KY

#98788 Apr 6, 2013
This in the King James bible Jeremiah chapter 7 veres 21 -23 - God did NOT tell them to sacrifice animals 22 For I spake not unto your fathers, nor commanded them in the day that I brought them out of the land of Egypt, concerning burnt offerings or sacrifices:

23 But this thing commanded I them, saying, Obey my voice, and I will be your God, and ye shall be my people: and walk ye in all the ways that I have commanded you, that it may be well unto you.

24 But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No more old way cafe!!! 4 hr truth 30
Barbourville utilities 5 hr programmer 3
'Harlan's Got Talent' coming next year 6 hr THE TRUTH 5
Brett Ledford 7 hr maybe 8
I need the best car accident lawyer in town 8 hr Hey 10
is jackson manor apartments good place to live? 8 hr Bystander 3
~~Keep A Word~~Drop A Word Game. (Jun '10) 9 hr Princess Hey 363
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) 9 hr Anonymous 48
Barbourville Dating
Find my Match