Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
94,041 - 94,060 of 130,465 Comments Last updated 28 min ago
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there are people who value zygotes more than they do children.
I believe there are people who value political and religious control more than they do women's lives.
I believe I will never get pregnant.
I believe you call it a "zygote" to diminish it's value!
I believe you diminish God, so you can do what you want to a woman/men, and not have to pay for your mistakes!
I believe/know God is real, the end is closer than we think, and
ALL un-righteousness will be erased... in the blink of an eye!
Then... all those people that do not think Zygotes had value...
will suffer worse than they!

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if this is accurate. The earliest gospels date back to decades after Christ died. If men alive at the time who knew enough to remember it were still knocking around later around the time that the author of Luke was writing then they would have been pretty old, I think.
I'll have to do some research. I'm going by memory. I know Luke was first (and it had the fewest miracles and no claim that Jesus was God). The others came later and they each added more and more layers of total nonsense like miracles and such. That's how mythology grows.
Sorry, correcting myself:

Mark is the first of the gospels, not Luke. Luke and Matthew are basically taken directly from Mark with some stuff that may come from an unknown source called Q.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe that that life begins at conception, right?
You also (I'm assuming) believe that these new life-forms have a "soul", right?
Since these unborn "babies" haven't had a chance to "sin" yet, wouldn't they go straight to "Heaven" if they are terminated?
Seems to me that you people would actually be for abortions.
Murder is not something we believe in!
Plus... every soul has to have the choice in free will!
They do not get to make that choice...
nasty people make it for them!
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

that guy wrote:
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.
The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
You keep believing, I'll keep evolving
Hahahaha!
The Heavens declare God's Glory!
I know God is real, as He showed up, and saved this wretch!
Hope you receive the same!
Amen!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Right, so the earliest gospel, Mark, was probably written around 70 AD. That's 70 years after Jesus was killed.

I seriously question the idea it was taken from eye witnesses.

Mark is also the book without any real miracles. If I remember correctly. Jesus is born of humans, and is human. He is not the son of God and does not identify himself as a deity in this book.

Later gospels add these layers of miracles and God stuff more heavily, culminating with John going apesh*t for Jesus.

And that is exactly how stories grow in the telling. How anyone can believe these stories are literally true is the real miracle.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"So you say but cann..... nevermind.... You know, you know....
Yes! Yes I DO KNOW... Truly hoping you get to KNOW too!
Amen!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Murder is not something we believe in!
Plus... every soul has to have the choice in free will!
They do not get to make that choice...
nasty people make it for them!
But I already showed how free will is incompatible with a perfect god.

Also, prove souls exist.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
That just goes beyond Scripture and I am not going to speculate!
Do you think it was a moral act to have the people slaughtered?

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
Most critics of the Bible assume that because something is unexplained it is unexplainable. When a scientist comes across an anomaly in nature he doesnít give up on science. How many NASA scientists resigned when they found rings around Jupiter which was contrary to all scientific explanations?
When the Bible has been proven to be accurate over and over again in hundreds of details the burden of proof is on the critics, not on the Bible.
Most skeptics do not bring to the Bible the powers of comprehension and interpretation, that they would bring to a reading of the average newspaper. Perhaps this uneven treatment should not be surprising. After all, the skeptic has much to lose if the Bible is right
I have taken several of your so called contridictions and proven them NOT TO BE A CONTRIDICTION AT ALL.....Now as I stated above THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS IN YOU SIR... All I see you doing is posting verses, then merely stating it is a contridiction...PROVE IT~
As soon as you back up your statement that the bible has been proven to be accurate. Otherwise what you have said is that you are a liar that does not care about the truth. Oh, I did PROVE that the bible contradicts itself. Now what?

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

You worship satan wrote:
<quoted text>
You worship satan (who tells people to kill) and you have the gull to criticize those who worship Jesus.The old bible had a lot of things that happened and was not of God. Jesus said because of the hardness of your hearts Moses allowed divorce . And Jesus told them do not kill.Thus the REVELATION of JESUS ,His purpose to come to earth was to change the people's hearts and minds ,and not believe every thing their forefathers said. Jesus is gentle ,kind good. He came to stop the stoning and killing . Read the new testament. Ahh,right ,you worship satan, so you pick out old bible scriptures on wars and ignore all the good things that are in it.JESUS IS LORD.Question-why do you costantly post if you do not believe the bible,does the evil inside of you will not rest until you make sure everyone stops believing? i notice most people post 2 or 3 times,but you never give up? WHY???
Satan is a title, not the scare tactic of your cult. There is no god and no devil. However if there where your god would be the most evil devil.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

excuse me wrote:
When Joseph of Arimathea asked for the body of Christ so he and Nicodemus could bury Him, Pontius Pilate ordered a centurion to verify that Jesus was dead (Mk. 15:43-45). The Roman governor would not release the body to Joseph until the centurion was certain that all signs of life were gone. You can be sure that an officer in the Roman army would not make a mistake about an important matter like this in his report to such a high official as Pilate.
Joseph and Nicodemus prepared the body for burial according to Jewish custom. This included wrapping it "in a clean linen cloth" (Mt. 27:59), anointing the body with "a mixture of myrrh and aloes" (Jn. 19:39), and placing it "in a tomb which had been hewn out of the rock" (Mk. 15:46). It seems obvious that any sign of life would have been detected by these bereaved friends. Surely they would not have buried a breathing Jesus.
The Pharisees and chief priests met with Pilate to discuss what had occurred. They made such remarks as "while He was still alive" (Mt. 27:63). Soldiers were ordered to secure the grave with a seal. In addition, guards were placed on duty to prevent the disciples from coming to "steal Him away" (v.64). The Jewish leaders and the Roman authorities knew beyond doubt that Jesus was dead.
The Sabbath had ended, and Jesus' friends could now come to visit the tomb. As morning broke on the new day, the women who had watched Joseph and Nicodemus bury Jesus came back to anoint His body. It was Sunday now--a somber day that, as far as the women knew, would be followed by many more days just like it. They were undoubtedly resigned to a future of sad pilgrimages such as this one. They knew of nothing else they could do for their fallen loved one but to grieve at His tomb and to put spices on His body. But what a surprise lay ahead!
As they walked toward the garden, they worried aloud about who could roll away the heavy stone so they could go inside the tomb and apply their spices. But when they arrived, they saw that the stone had already been moved! They were greeted by an angel, who told them that Jesus had risen.
( There is your answer)
And you believe this story...why? It has an angel in it. Do you not feel the least bit skeptical about angels walking around, telling stories?

There's a metric ton of problems with the Jesus narrative. Read some Bart Ehrman on the subject.

http://www.bartdehrman.com/
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
The Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. The Pyramids were built on beer.. Damned upstart uptight religions like Muslims and Mormons...friggin' contrary to progress and productivity.
Oh geez. Now we know the"rest of the story" and why puhfairyos had buh-oats buried wit them.
Rivers and oceans of beer.
Why who'd've ever thunk it.

(you moron).
You are simply wrong

Beattyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
If God doesn't approve of it why doesn't he stop it from happening? Is he incapable of preventing a little girl from being raped? If so, why worship him?
There was a moment on an atheist show called The Atheist Experience where the host said the difference between her and God is that she would try to stop a child rapist whereas God would just watch and then punish the rapist later (unless he gets saved).
So why doesn't got stop little kids from being raped and murdered?
Itís all about the free will. If God stops you, you donít have free will. How you deal with adversity, how you deal with death is just as important as how you deal with life and happiness. Itís part of what determines the mettle of your soul and determines if you are worthy or unworthy.
Your atheist show is probably right from the standpoint of the rapist. She forgot the standpoint of the child. If that child was sentient and sapient and had an immortal soul, most likely she was too young to be evil and an eternity in Heaven is worth any suffering endured on Earth.
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems my memory is fuzzy on that. I know of times that God demanded, endorsed and even committed killings, but would you be kind enough to show me where the Bible says that Satan ever told anyone to kill?
Put down the beer for awhile and maybe you could see straight enough to actually comprehend something!
TruthIs

Glenpool, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Mark is the first of the gospels, not Luke. Luke and Matthew are basically taken directly from Mark with some stuff that may come from an unknown source called Q.
Q of Alzhiemers Bush should only be taken with grains of salt-in that case, mostly because of the tequila that follows the book of beer in the gospels of Q.
NEPHILIM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if this is accurate. The earliest gospels date back to decades after Christ died. If men alive at the time who knew enough to remember it were still knocking around later around the time that the author of Luke was writing then they would have been pretty old, I think.
I'll have to do some research. I'm going by memory. I know Luke was first (and it had the fewest miracles and no claim that Jesus was God). The others came later and they each added more and more layers of total nonsense like miracles and such. That's how mythology grows.
I think Mark wrote first and the others just pretty much plagiarized him. There is something about a Q source but I can't look it up right now. The Secret Gospel of Mark I think predates them all and has the verses that are missing out of the Mark we have today. It's worth checking out, just not a lot to go on.
NEPHILIM

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
My bad, I should of read ahead. Glad we agree.
You are simply wrong

Beattyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure, OK. God is a time traveler. He gets in his God Delorian and zips ahead in time, seeing the entire stretch of human existence. Then he zips back in time to watch it unfold.
If we *truly* have free will then the events that God watches unfold will not occur exactly as they did when he zipped ahead in time. Therefore God does not know the future. If they happen exactly as they did when he zipped ahead then free will does not exist and we are determined to do what we do.
If anyone lacks an understanding of basic logic it is not me.
Now, back to my question. Do you or do you not understand the flaw in your logic?
Look at it another way. If Ben knows Jane then Ben cannot also NOT know Jane. These are mutually exclusive states of being. Ben either knows Jane or Ben does not know Jane.
God either knows what we will do or he does not know what we will do. If he knows what we will do then we are not free to choose. It must be this way, logically. It is not my opinion, it is the necessary rules of logic.
Your Delorean comment is simply trite. I clearly pointed out to anyone who has a good command of the English language that time traveler was an analogy, a simplification because you canít fathom apparently the concept of God existing outside of Time.
God observing you, does not determine your actions. If you witness a bank robbery, should you be charged with masterminding it?
It is your attempt at logic that has failed. You keep assuming that Godís knowledge somehow determines an outcome. That is your assumption that is false. Your assumption is wrong therefore your conclusion is invalid. It fails the test of logic.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

You are simply wrong wrote:
<quoted text>Itís all about the free will. If God stops you, you donít have free will. How you deal with adversity, how you deal with death is just as important as how you deal with life and happiness. Itís part of what determines the mettle of your soul and determines if you are worthy or unworthy.
Your atheist show is probably right from the standpoint of the rapist. She forgot the standpoint of the child. If that child was sentient and sapient and had an immortal soul, most likely she was too young to be evil and an eternity in Heaven is worth any suffering endured on Earth.
Can't get your head around the 'omniscience = no free will' concept can you? It must be that differential calculus getting in the way. Would you mind sharing the equation(s) that mathematically "prove" free will as you claimed?
You are simply wrong

Beattyville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Than why isn't Romney President???
Because we have him on tape lying virtually every day of the campaign

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 6 min lmt 1,198
Fight lee mart 11 min Curious 1
joann gregory 13 min warning girdler area 1
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 24 min Commietator 151,068
new restaurant opening in the Hardee's building 41 min mike 1
Mayor. And school board candidates slinging Mud... 1 hr Bless you 28
Jeff Vaughn 1 hr wow 2
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search