Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Courier-Journal

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Comments
94,021 - 94,040 of 128,659 Comments Last updated 30 min ago
that guy

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

One would go mad if one took the Bible seriously; but to take it seriously one must be already mad
that guy

Somerset, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Scientists do not join hands every Sunday and sing "Yes gravity is real! I know gravity is real! I will have faith! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about the concept
excuse me

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
A religie posted,
"when God ordered Joshua and his people to kill every man, woman and child in Canaan?[13] What crime could be so great that entire populations of cities were designated for destruction? God told Moses that the nations that the Hebrew were replacing were wicked.[14] How "wicked" were these people? The text tells us that they were burning their own sons and daughters in sacrifices to their gods.[15] So we see that these people were not really innocent. For these reasons (and others 16), God ordered the destruction of the peoples whom the Israelites dispossessed.
Do you need further explanation on this subject?"
I just picture Lt. columbo saying,
"Ok, theres's just one more thing. Did the sacrifice of every man, women and child in canaan satisfy your god?"
And I really never liked columbo, weird.
God, being the Author of life, has the absolute right to take life away whenever He wants to. Simply put, He gives life, He takes it away. Life is His to do with what He wants. He can give it, as the Author, and as the Author, He can take it away again.
In the same way, life is God's possession so God may do with life as He pleases. Now it may sound like I'm simply reducing God's morality to His power. He can do what He wants because He is God. That's not what I am saying because I don't think taking innocent life is patently, on the face of it, immoral. It is immoral when it is done by certain people, and not immoral when it is done by others--or Another.

I am merely stating that there are certain things which are clearly God's prerogative. Can God create something and then destroy what He's created? Yes, He can do as He wishes, though His wishes are constrained by His character so He can't wish something that is immoral or inconsistent with His character. And there is nothing patently immoral about the Creator of life taking away life. It's immoral for us because when we take life, usually we are exercising a prerogative reserved for God alone.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
You're asking a Mormon if there is beer in heaven? Haha
The Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. The Pyramids were built on beer.. Damned upstart uptight religions like Muslims and Mormons...friggin' contrary to progress and productivity.

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Known Fact wrote:
ARE YOU A GENUINE CHRISTIAN?
It is vital for each person who claims to be a Christian to answer this question positively. Why? Because God’s approval depends thereon. Christianity is not merely a belief or a label, but a way of life. Does your way of life reflect Christ’s example? Does your religious practice match the Biblical quality of the early Christians?
The apostle Paul invites us:“Put yourselves to the proof, to see whether you are holding the Faith. Test yourselves.”(2 Corinthians 13:5, The Twentieth Century New Testament) To this end, we invite you to check the following short list, while looking up the cited scriptures in your own Bible.
1. Do you participate in national or political loyalties that cause divisions among professed Christians?—1 Corinthians 1:10; John 18:36; James 1:27.
2. How do you define Christian love?—1 Corinthians 13:4-8.
3. Do you, in practice, endeavor to show true neighbor love? How?—Matthew 22:39; John 13:34, 35.
4. Are you kind, tenderly compassionate and forgiving toward others?—Ephesians 4:31; Romans 12:10.
5. In your daily life, do you avoid lying, stealing, cheating and the use of obscene and abusive language?—Ephesians 5:3-5; 4:25-31.
6. Are you inclined to think that sexual morality is of minor importance?—Mark 7:20-23.
7. Do you tend to excesses in eating and drinking?—Proverbs 23:20, 21; Ephesians 5:18.
8. Do you try to communicate true Christian faith to others by word and deed?—Romans 10:9, 10; 1 Corinthians 9:16.
At what conclusion do you arrive? Do true Christians really exist today? Do you know of any who earnestly try to live like Christ and at the same time make a real effort to communicate their Christian belief and way of life to their neighbors? Does your own religion in fact teach and practice genuine Christianity? Or is this just an attractive label or impressive signature?
If you do not already know them personally, we suggest you take a closer look at Jehovah’s Witnesses in your vicinity and see if they are conscientiously endeavoring to measure up to the Bible standards considered above. If you do not know where they are located, we will be glad to help you to get in touch with them.—Isaiah 43:10-12; Acts 11:26.
www.jw.org
STOP FRUGGING SPAMMING, SPHINCTER.
You worship satan

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>Now you are backpeddling. I was not talking about the IMPOSSIBLE flood. But you think that your god has the right to kill people, and that comes from some man that claims god talks to him? Empty the insane asylums! Your god is evil and the people that worship evil are evil. ACTIONS say evil so your words mean nothing
You worship satan (who tells people to kill) and you have the gull to criticize those who worship Jesus.The old bible had a lot of things that happened and was not of God. Jesus said because of the hardness of your hearts Moses allowed divorce . And Jesus told them do not kill.Thus the REVELATION of JESUS ,His purpose to come to earth was to change the people's hearts and minds ,and not believe every thing their forefathers said. Jesus is gentle ,kind good. He came to stop the stoning and killing . Read the new testament. Ahh,right ,you worship satan, so you pick out old bible scriptures on wars and ignore all the good things that are in it.JESUS IS LORD.Question-why do you costantly post if you do not believe the bible,does the evil inside of you will not rest until you make sure everyone stops believing? i notice most people post 2 or 3 times,but you never give up? WHY???
excuse me

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

LOL in a suit wrote:
contradiction.........question ........
Who first came to the tomb on Sunday morning?
Again I state: a mere difference does not a contradiction make! Truth is not negotiable. Historical statements of fact are not open to question. When we read, for example, that George Washington and his men spent the winter of 1777 enduring wretched conditions at Valley Forge, we are obligated to believe it. Although none of us observed their long, deadly winter, what we know about it is supported by the written testimony of those who were there and by the scholarship of later inquirers who studied the Revolutionary War. The written accounts may differ on a few minor details, but we know that we can trust the record of the historians.
In a historical sense, the resurrection stands on ground that is just as solid as the story of George Washington's winter at Valley Forge. Reliable witnesses wrote about meeting and talking with Jesus after His death. Skeptical enemies noticed His disappearance from the tomb. Extrabiblical, historical reports were given of His resurrection. Eyewitnesses of Jesus' post-death appearances died defending their belief in it.
In order for an honest historian to be convinced that something actually happened, he needs to see two specific criteria met:(1) The event in question must be supported by the testimony of believable, trustworthy witnesses. And (2) the circumstantial evidence must be authentic. When both of these demands are clearly supported by the evidence at hand, the inquirer is compelled by logic to believe that the event actually took place. We will see that each of these criteria is met by the things we know about the resurrection.
Even so, some still don't believe. To make that refusal, a person must not only reject the eyewitness accounts and the circumstantial evidence, but he must make an even greater leap. The person who thinks that the resurrection is a fraud or a hoax must reject the entire New Testament. There can be no picking and choosing. If the resurrection is a hoax, then so is the New Testament and everything Jesus said or did. Claiming that Christ was a great teacher or a prophet--as even most unbelievers attest--while rejecting His resurrection is an impossible position. Consider what Jesus said during His ministry--before the crucifixion:
The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day (Lk. 9:22).
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the great fish, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth (Mt. 12:40).
Remarkably, Matthew, Mark, and Luke each recorded a simultaneous event that occurred some distance from Calvary. They wrote that as Jesus died, "the veil of the temple was torn in two from top to bottom" (Mk. 15:38). This miraculous event signaled the end of the Old Testament era of animal sacrifice and limited access to God. But that's not all it meant. It also verified Jesus' death, because it demonstrated that His complete sacrifice had satisfied God's demands. For centuries, God had required the death of an unblemished lamb as an atonement for sin. Now Jesus, the sinless Lamb of God, had become the new sacrifice. The veil was no longer needed, for access to God had been opened to all who would believe in Christ.
The following events at the site of the crucifixion help verify that Jesus was dead:
The Roman soldiers did not break Jesus' legs, because they "saw that He was already dead" (Jn. 19:33).
The soldiers plunged a spear into Jesus' side, and from it came both water and blood (Jn. 19:34). Medical experts say that if He were not already dead, this in itself would have killed Him. Others have concluded that the pouring out of water and blood from His side was proof that Jesus was no longer alive.
high question

Morehead, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

You are simply wrong wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading the Bible in it’s entirety does not make someone an atheist. It’s listening to the preachers who do the piecemeal ala carte religion to you in your youth and then you eventually learning enough about life and science and math and logic to realize that the preacher was a liar.
The key to it all is that God isn’t the preacher. God isn’t religion. God isn’t the Bible.
The Bible was starting to be written probably about 6000 years ago. It was written for those people who had no science, little math and no leisure time to contemplate God and the Universe. Life was so hard that they needed easy to follow simple rules. They didn’t have the time, the resources or probably the mental acuity to handle more. They were infants. Their job was merely to survive.
2000 years ago came the second, a new testament to replace the old so as to reflect humanity’s better understanding. People had progressed to toddler. The old rules were good for infants, but toddlers have more abilities and can handle greater responsibility. Survival was no longer adequate, now we were expected to care about and respect others.
Our knowledge now has attained the point that we are at the cusp of a Third Testament. Merely playing nice with our siblings isn’t enough. Now we have to clean our room, stop polluting the planet. We are children, and soon, once we can demonstrate that, then we can meet the neighbors’ kids, those other children of God whom we call extraterrestrials.
We are evolving, not just physically, but mentally and spiritually. The rules for the infant, were good for the infant, but God expects us to mature and just as children grow they get more responsibility, so do we. Don’t wallow in an infantile religion. Grow, Evolve, Mature. The rules are changing, not because God has, but because we are.
What kind of drug are you on ?
excuse me

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

When Joseph of Arimathea asked for the body of Christ so he and Nicodemus could bury Him, Pontius Pilate ordered a centurion to verify that Jesus was dead (Mk. 15:43-45). The Roman governor would not release the body to Joseph until the centurion was certain that all signs of life were gone. You can be sure that an officer in the Roman army would not make a mistake about an important matter like this in his report to such a high official as Pilate.

Joseph and Nicodemus prepared the body for burial according to Jewish custom. This included wrapping it "in a clean linen cloth" (Mt. 27:59), anointing the body with "a mixture of myrrh and aloes" (Jn. 19:39), and placing it "in a tomb which had been hewn out of the rock" (Mk. 15:46). It seems obvious that any sign of life would have been detected by these bereaved friends. Surely they would not have buried a breathing Jesus.

The Pharisees and chief priests met with Pilate to discuss what had occurred. They made such remarks as "while He was still alive" (Mt. 27:63). Soldiers were ordered to secure the grave with a seal. In addition, guards were placed on duty to prevent the disciples from coming to "steal Him away" (v.64). The Jewish leaders and the Roman authorities knew beyond doubt that Jesus was dead.
The Sabbath had ended, and Jesus' friends could now come to visit the tomb. As morning broke on the new day, the women who had watched Joseph and Nicodemus bury Jesus came back to anoint His body. It was Sunday now--a somber day that, as far as the women knew, would be followed by many more days just like it. They were undoubtedly resigned to a future of sad pilgrimages such as this one. They knew of nothing else they could do for their fallen loved one but to grieve at His tomb and to put spices on His body. But what a surprise lay ahead!

As they walked toward the garden, they worried aloud about who could roll away the heavy stone so they could go inside the tomb and apply their spices. But when they arrived, they saw that the stone had already been moved! They were greeted by an angel, who told them that Jesus had risen.

( There is your answer)

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

The Bible was compiled, edited, assembled and approved by a series of committees in the third century.
excuse me wrote:
( There is your answer)

“See how you are?”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

You worship satan wrote:
<quoted text>
You worship satan (who tells people to kill)
It seems my memory is fuzzy on that. I know of times that God demanded, endorsed and even committed killings, but would you be kind enough to show me where the Bible says that Satan ever told anyone to kill?
excuse me

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
The Bible was compiled, edited, assembled and approved by a series of committees in the third century.
<quoted text>
The Old Testament & Messianic Prophecy
There is one test that we can apply to all ‘sacred writings’.... The Test Of Prophecy - the foretelling of future events. Surely a book claiming to be God's Word will contain His statements about His purpose, and predictions for the future. If you compare the ‘divine’ books such as the Bhagavad-Gita and the Koran, you will find that they contain hardly any prophecies, and certainly none that are as specific as those of the Bible and which have been fulfilled to the letter. Biblical prophecies commonly give details of actual events to occur; Actual geographic locations; Actual people (sometimes named before they were born); Actual nations, all of which would be involved in certain world events. It is a simple matter to ascertain whether such prophecies have been fulfilled or not
The Odds Approximately 2500 prophecies appear in the pages of the Bible, about 2000 of which already have been fulfilled to the letter — no errors.(The remaining 500 or so reach into the future and may be seen unfolding as days go by.) Since the probability for any one of these prophecies having been fulfilled by chance averages less than one in ten (figured very conservatively) and since the prophecies are for the most part independent of one another, the odds for all these prophecies having been fulfilled by chance without error is less than one in 102000 (that is 1 with 2000 zeros written after it)!
excuse me

Pikeville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Judged:

The New Testament was written by men who were either eyewitnesses themselves, or who related from the eyewitnesses their personal accounts of the actual incidents and teachings of Christ. It is beyond doubt that the New Testament accounts of Christ were circulated within the lifetimes of those who witnessed his life. It is also a fact that these people (some friendly, others hostile to the gospel) would confirm or deny the accuracy of the accounts. The bitter opponents of Jesus and his disciples would have leapt at the opportunity to discredit the claims concerning his life, death and resurrection, if the writings being circulated were untrue.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

excuse me wrote:
The New Testament was written by men who were either eyewitnesses themselves, or who related from the eyewitnesses their personal accounts of the actual incidents and teachings of Christ. It is beyond doubt that the New Testament accounts of Christ were circulated within the lifetimes of those who witnessed his life. It is also a fact that these people (some friendly, others hostile to the gospel) would confirm or deny the accuracy of the accounts. The bitter opponents of Jesus and his disciples would have leapt at the opportunity to discredit the claims concerning his life, death and resurrection, if the writings being circulated were untrue.
I don't know if this is accurate. The earliest gospels date back to decades after Christ died. If men alive at the time who knew enough to remember it were still knocking around later around the time that the author of Luke was writing then they would have been pretty old, I think.

I'll have to do some research. I'm going by memory. I know Luke was first (and it had the fewest miracles and no claim that Jesus was God). The others came later and they each added more and more layers of total nonsense like miracles and such. That's how mythology grows.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>The Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. The Pyramids were built on beer.. Damned upstart uptight religions like Muslims and Mormons...friggin' contrary to progress and productivity.
I wouldn't know. I don't need it myself
Yes and Amen

Hagerhill, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
In response to post #98210.
I apologize, I haven't been in this conversation, but I'd like to comment on this post and give my understanding of how it happened.
The mountains that were named didn't exist in the pre-flood era.
The water was mostly under the crust of the earth originally and we believe a seventh layer of atmosphere, a water layer, encompassed the earth in order to protect us from UV among other things.
The fountains of the great deep broke up and high pressure water from underneath the crust flooded the surface while the water canopy above collapsed and fell to earth as rain.
I think the wording is "all the high hills" and not mountain tops because mountains didn't exist as they do now. The earth was smoother.
After the duration of the flood the unpressurized voids left in the earth began to be filled. The crust that was once above the waters was now collapsing into the voids where the water had been.
As the smoother mass of the earth's crust collapsed in closer to the center there was less space to contain the mass. So the effect, as with anything that you try to cram into a smaller space than it can fit, was for the mountains to push out. In the case of the flood, out of the water. That is why we find aquatic fossils on Everest. It was land that was once underwater, but was pushed up as the earths crust collapsed in closer to the center of the planet.
I heard one time that if the earth's crust was leveled the water would cover it in a depth of about a mile. I'm not sure of the estimated depth, it's been a while since I heard that.
Also, I personnally believe that all radioactive isotopes were probably contained deep in the earth's crust prior to the flood (probably serving some purpose). When the crust was disheveled from the flood and the minerals were re-ordered and stratified the isotopes were mixed in.
Humans today are now constantly exposed to radiation as well as UV which would account for our rapid aging due to the destruction of our cells from the exposure.
There is a verse in the New Testament, one of Peter's books I think, that states that people would scoff at the Bible because they would be ignorant of the fact that the earth was created both in the water and out of the water. In the water, being the water layer of atmosphere. Out of the water, being the water that was once under the crust that now fills the oceans while the crust that was above the water now lies on the ocean's floor.
Thank you.
Great post!
Yes and Amen

Hagerhill, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Quantummist wrote:
Nice!
But it does show...
You cannot see the forest for the trees!
Don't you think "IF" it was all natural selection, a survival
method, that ALL plants would resemble the one in
"Lil shop of horrors"????
Man eating tulips, roses, n such???
Yet they supply pollen, and nectar for food n honey...
Open your eyes... IF things were as Dawkins believes,
This world would be a lot darker!
God is real, and He created this beauty!
Wrong again Sparky

Hagerhill, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I posted the bible verses so they can be read from your bible. So you admit that the bible is a lie?
I am a nasty poster because I posted straight from the bible?
No! The Bible is true...
It's you that is a liar... posting snippets, and wrongly pointing
to what it means!
Yet, you posted that you knew what it meant, so that means you
did it maliciously!
No morals!
Case closed!
Thanks again!
Wrong again Sparky

Hagerhill, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Judged:

Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You do not understand how a democracy works do you? When 5% of the people want something and 95% of the people say Hell no than it is not going to happen.
Send your kids to private school but hope that they do not read the whole bible or they will become Atheist
It'd not 5% of the people... it's 85%!
When the 15% of the people are like you...
Sandusky will go free, and people will be allowed to marry their goats!
So true

Big Clifty, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Blessed day to you all. May we all have those moments that touch out hearts in someway ..

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

113 Users are viewing the Barbourville Forum right now

Search the Barbourville Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 3 min Obama Zombies 146,268
Stivers Center fixes 4 min get real 47
whats wrong with stephanie Mills from gregory l... 7 min na na 1
Step Chid after divorce 8 min Ex Wife 3
Maggie Mills is on meth really bad she has sore... 12 min out of towner 11
whats wrong with Shannon Fergerson? 17 min out of towner 1
jon h 21 min molly good girl 15
•••
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••