Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 131,065

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98324 Apr 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
We would only worship the one we have contact with. Our creator.
But, how do you know he's your creator? I mean, they're "gods" right? Some more powerful than others...how do you know you're not the victim of a cosmic April Fool's Day hoax?
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't think all those stars and galaxies are just scenery for us to look at.
For once we agree on something, I don't think they are there for us to to look at either. But, I don't believe in making up stories to explain their existence. To me that diminishes their beauty.
excuse me

Elkhorn City, KY

#98325 Apr 3, 2013
It is fairly safe to say that most people have only a superficial concept of what constitutes a genuine contradiction. An important truth that must be hammered home repeatedly is this: a mere difference does not a contradiction make!

What, then, constitutes a contradiction? In logic, the Law of Contradiction is stated succinctly as follows:“Nothing can both be and not be”(Jevons, 1928, p. 117). That is a very abbreviated form of the rule. Aristotle, in a more amplified format, expressed it this way.“That the same thing should at the same time both be and not be for the same person and in the same respect is impossible.”

An analysis of the Law of Contradiction, therefore, would suggest the following. When one is confronted with an alleged contradiction, he must ask himself these questions:(1) Is the same thing or person under consideration?(2) Is the same time period in view?(3) Is the language that seems to be self-contradictory employed in the same sense? It is quite important that these questions be answered correctly.

For instance, let us analyze the following two statements: Robert is rich. Robert is poor. Do these statements contradict one another? The answer is – not necessarily! First, two different people named Robert could be under consideration. Second, two different time frames might be in view; Robert could have been rich but, due to financial disaster, he became poor. Third, the terms “rich” and “poor” might have been used in different senses; Robert could be spiritually rich but economically poor. The point is this: it never is proper to assume a contradiction exists until every possible means of harmonization has been fully exhausted. Now, let this principle be applied to the Bible.

Lets discuss the first one on your list..God both loves and hates? No, for though these terms are opposites, when used of God they do not express His disposition toward the same objects. God loves every sinner in the world (John 3:16), but He hates every false way (Psalm 119:104). He loves righteousness, but hates iniquity (Psalm 45:7), and hence responds toward such with either goodness or severity (Romans 11:22). No contradiction exists here.

Shall I go throug all on your list ?

Location hidden

#98326 Apr 3, 2013
I am blessed wrote:
<quoted text>
The "illusion" is that you think that you have all the answers .
Now, where/when did I say I had all the answers? You're projecting your own arrogance. I'm comfortable admitting I don't know how the universe began. You are not, so you make up stories (or believe other people's stories)to fill the void.
I am blessed wrote:
<quoted text>
God knows what we will chose to do,but HE never wanted us to do it we have a choice.
If your god knew what we would choose to do and didn't want that to happen...why create us? Is he stupid? So you worship an omnipotent yet dumb god?
I am blessed wrote:
<quoted text>
Example -You could chose to believe in the bible,but with your mind set against it,you most likely wont.
That's not a good example at all. What does it prove?

“There is no god”

Since: Jul 12

War, WV

#98327 Apr 3, 2013
openyoureyes wrote:
<quoted text>
From your comments on topix you're either a young person or an evil person. For the first 200 years of America we had Christian Bibles and pray in public schools. I went to them public schools, and saw and heard the Bible and pray many times, and no one complained. One small public school I went to burned so we finished the school year (5 months) in our local Christian church. So in your opinion all the government officials, administrators, teachers, students and parents during the first 200 years of America should have been put in prison for illegal activities. I'm sorry you're an unbeliever, don't forget judgment day, and you would fit right in the evil governments of Russia, North Korea, China, Iran, Cuba, Iraq, Syria.
You lie like a christian. First off there where no public schools 200 years ago. And while some little schools that did not have money for books in the early 1900's that used the bible to teach reading because that is all they had did not teach the bible as fact. Most educated people (like teachers) are Atheist.
And as for you finishing a school year in a church, bull you lie like a christian

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98328 Apr 3, 2013
excuse me wrote:
“I cannot have confidence in the Bible, for it is a book filled with contradictions.”
I could not estimate how many times I have heard this charge against the Holy Scriptures over the past several decades. One thing, however, has been consistent about the allegation – the critic rarely can name even one alleged contradiction that the Bible is supposed to contain. He just “knows” that they are “in there” somewhere.
Those who allege that the Bible contains contradictions basically fall into two classes. First, there is the person who honestly believes this to be the case because he has heard the hackneyed charge repeated frequently; thus, he sincerely is misinformed about the facts. Second, there is that type of person who, from base motives, hates the Bible and so does not scruple to pervert its testimony in order to discredit the Sacred Volume. In either case, the Word of God is not at fault!
Preliminary to a consideration of this important theme, it should be noted that the principle of “innocent until proven guilty” applies to the Bible as much as to any other book. Books, like people, ought to be considered truthful and consistent unless it can be demonstrated that they are not. Great attempts have been made to absolve the Greek and Latin classics of contradictions, under the presumption that the authors did not contradict themselves. Surely the Bible deserves at least an equally charitable approach.
SOOO explain the murder, rape, slavery, killing children, animal sacrifice that your god commanded

Since: Nov 12

Location hidden

#98329 Apr 3, 2013

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98330 Apr 3, 2013
excuse me wrote:
It is fairly safe to say that most people have only a superficial concept of what constitutes a genuine contradiction. An important truth that must be hammered home repeatedly is this: a mere difference does not a contradiction make!
What, then, constitutes a contradiction? In logic, the Law of Contradiction is stated succinctly as follows:“Nothing can both be and not be”(Jevons, 1928, p. 117). That is a very abbreviated form of the rule. Aristotle, in a more amplified format, expressed it this way.“That the same thing should at the same time both be and not be for the same person and in the same respect is impossible.”
An analysis of the Law of Contradiction, therefore, would suggest the following. When one is confronted with an alleged contradiction, he must ask himself these questions:(1) Is the same thing or person under consideration?(2) Is the same time period in view?(3) Is the language that seems to be self-contradictory employed in the same sense? It is quite important that these questions be answered correctly.
For instance, let us analyze the following two statements: Robert is rich. Robert is poor. Do these statements contradict one another? The answer is – not necessarily! First, two different people named Robert could be under consideration. Second, two different time frames might be in view; Robert could have been rich but, due to financial disaster, he became poor. Third, the terms “rich” and “poor” might have been used in different senses; Robert could be spiritually rich but economically poor. The point is this: it never is proper to assume a contradiction exists until every possible means of harmonization has been fully exhausted. Now, let this principle be applied to the Bible.
Lets discuss the first one on your list..God both loves and hates? No, for though these terms are opposites, when used of God they do not express His disposition toward the same objects. God loves every sinner in the world (John 3:16), but He hates every false way (Psalm 119:104). He loves righteousness, but hates iniquity (Psalm 45:7), and hence responds toward such with either goodness or severity (Romans 11:22). No contradiction exists here.
So your argument is that when the bible contradicts itself it is not a contradiction? Next you will say that the bible is not literal but parables and when it says in Psalms 137:9 to rejoice as you kill innocent babies that really means love right? And owning slaves and being allowed to beat them, that is gods pure love for every one?
Nice try but your bull is just bull

Location hidden

#98331 Apr 3, 2013
excuse me wrote:
Well, to me arguing the meaning of bible passages is akin to arguing who is better: Iron Man or Bat Man? But, please go on as you haven't even satisfactorily addressed the first yet.

For the uninitiated:

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

vs.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

Location hidden

#98332 Apr 3, 2013
excuse me wrote:
Actually, I'll defer to Satanic Priest on this. Biblical contradictions are in his wheelhouse.
excuse me

Elkhorn City, KY

#98333 Apr 3, 2013
Both the books of Exodus and Ephesians state that children should honor their fathers and mothers (Exodus 20:12; Ephesians 6:2). From the mouth of Jesus, and a host of New Testament writers, we have been given the injunction to love others, which certainly would include our parents. Paul wrote:“Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law”(Romans 13:8). Jesus, to illustrate how a person should love his neighbor, told the unforgettable story of the “Good Samaritan”(Luke 10:30-37). In light of these verses and the thoughts they contain, one easily can deduce that a person should love his or her parents. Not only is love for parents natural, but it also is commanded by God throughout the Scriptures…or is it? Luke, in his account of the life of Jesus, has the Messiah on record saying,“If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple”(Luke 14:26, emp. added). So which is it, should we love and honor our parents and family—or hate them?

Needless to say, this statement by Jesus has been seized by many skeptics and offered as “proof ” that the Bible contradicts itself. Steve Wells, in his work The Skeptic’s Annotated Bible, cites Luke 14:26 as a verse in contradiction to Exodus 20:12. He further attacks Luke 14:26 as a verse that goes against family values, and one that presents an unjust command (Wells, 2001).

Admittedly, if the word “hate” in Luke 14:26 means what most twenty-first century Americans use the word to mean, then Jesus’ statement is a contradiction, unjust, and goes against decent family values. What anyone who studies the verse should quickly discover, however, is that the word translated “hate” does not always mean “to despise, detest, loathe, and abhor,” which are synonymous with the general use of the word “hate” in our modern culture. Instead, the word also can include the meaning “to love less.”

Atheist Dan Barker has disavowed such an explanation, saying,“Most Christians feel obligated to soften the face meaning of the word ‘hate’ to something like ‘love less than me,’ even though the Greek word miseo means ‘hate’”(1999, p. 158). Barker failed to explore, however, the legitimate times in the Bible (and in secular documents) where the word or its Hebrew equivalent is given the meaning “to love less,” and is not forced into a strict, uncompromising, literal usage of detest, loathe, or abhor.

The story of Jacob, Rachel, and Leah perfectly illustrates the biblical use of this term “hate” in its meaning of “to love less.” To briefly summarize the story, Jacob loved Rachel, and agreed to work for her father Laban for seven years in order to marry her. At the end of the seven years, Laban tricked Jacob, and gave Leah to him as a wife. When Jacob discovered the deception, he was given Rachel as a wife, but was forced to work another seven years for her. In Genesis 29:30, the Bible says that “Jacob also went in to Rachel, and he also loved Rachel more than Leah.” Yet, in the next verse the Bible says,“And when the Lord saw that Leah was hated, He opened her womb”(29:31, KJV). Jacob did not despise, detest, and treat Leah like an enemy, as in the modern use of the word “hate.” Instead, he simply loved Rachel more than he loved Leah.

Numerous Greek scholars have added their combined years of study to the discussion to testify that the word “hate”(miseo) in Luke 14:26 does not mean “an active abhorrence,” but means “to love less.”
Shall I provide more evidence?
Because I can

Location hidden

#98334 Apr 3, 2013
excuse me wrote:
Preliminary to a consideration of this important theme, it should be noted that the principle of “innocent until proven guilty” applies to the Bible as much as to any other book. Books, like people, ought to be considered truthful and consistent unless it can be demonstrated that they are not. Great attempts have been made to absolve the Greek and Latin classics of contradictions, under the presumption that the authors did not contradict themselves. Surely the Bible deserves at least an equally charitable approach.
If you are willing to concede that the bible is a work of fiction, like the Greek and Latin classics, then I'll treat it with as much "charity".

Location hidden

#98335 Apr 3, 2013
James 4:8
King James Version (KJV)

8 Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#98336 Apr 3, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>SOOO explain the murder, rape, slavery, killing children, animal sacrifice that your god commanded
Top religie answer: The laws of the old testicle are no longer valid.

Of course what do laws have to do with god killing people.
Re-read

Morehead, KY

#98337 Apr 3, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>SOOO explain the murder, rape, slavery, killing children, animal sacrifice that your god commanded
God never commanded rape-Name one instance in which he did ? Give the Bible verse. People raped,God did not tell them to do such wickedness!
Where did God say make them slaves ?-he punished Pharaoh for making the children of Israel slaves for 400 years. Yes there have always been wars-God will not allow some wicked people to kill and torment another race of people ,so HE helps them win the battle.

Would you want some terrorist group to overpower and kill everyone in America?--You,your family and loved ones ? No,if you have a heart you would stop it anyway possible.
god never wants war,but He will help us to overcome the evil ones who would harm us.

Location hidden

#98338 Apr 3, 2013
John 4:24
King James Version (KJV)

24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Location hidden

#98339 Apr 3, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>But, how do you know he's your creator? I mean, they're "gods" right? Some more powerful than others...how do you know you're not the victim of a cosmic April Fool's Day hoax?

do whut wrote, "<quoted text>
I just don't think all those stars and galaxies are just scenery for us to look at. "

For once we agree on something, I don't think they are there for us to to look at either. But, I don't believe in making up stories to explain their existence. To me that diminishes their beauty.
I just don't think they play around like that. I'd say they are pretty straight up.
But I have to admit, they must have some sense of humor based on some of the things and people I have seen. Haha

So do you think there is life on the planets that orbit those stars?

“See how you are?”

Earth

#98340 Apr 3, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, I'll defer to Satanic Priest on this. Biblical contradictions are in his wheelhouse.
A religie's response will inevitably be, "But, you don't understand how to read the Word of God...," "But, it says in another book written centuries later that...," "But, you don't understand science..."
You could have stopped reading his/her reply at the first word, because as the saying goes, "Everything after 'But,' is bull shyte."

“See how you are?”

Earth

#98341 Apr 3, 2013
Re-read wrote:
<quoted text>
God never commanded rape-Name one instance in which he did ? Give the Bible verse. People raped,God did not tell them to do such wickedness!
Where did God say make them slaves ?-he punished Pharaoh for making the children of Israel slaves for 400 years. Yes there have always been wars-God will not allow some wicked people to kill and torment another race of people ,so HE helps them win the battle.
Would you want some terrorist group to overpower and kill everyone in America?--You,your family and loved ones ? No,if you have a heart you would stop it anyway possible.
god never wants war,but He will help us to overcome the evil ones who would harm us.
You can't claim to know the Bible and display ignorance of it at the same time.
Mind your 9th commandment.

Location hidden

#98342 Apr 3, 2013
do whut wrote:
<quoted text>
I just don't think they play around like that. I'd say they are pretty straight up.
But I have to admit, they must have some sense of humor based on some of the things and people I have seen. Haha
So do you think there is life on the planets that orbit those stars?
Yes, I believe it to be highly probable that life exists outside of our solar system.

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#98343 Apr 3, 2013
"He will help us to overcome the evil ones who would harm us"

Tell that to job. I think god said sic,em.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wendy Mills engaged?? 19 min Truth Hurts 5
KY What's mitch McConnell done for coal, when ther... 1 hr DANGEROUS CURVE A... 5,309
Barbourville high school salaries WOW 1 hr Enough said 23
kC principal injured 2 hr Sarah J 2
The parent who flipped off and threatened every... 2 hr Lisa 3
knox board of ed raising taxes 2 hr just get worse 97
'Fox News Sunday' to Host Kentucky Senate Debate (Oct '10) 2 hr Ari son of Anarchy 153,924
Knox parent out of control goes after student a... 4 hr fan 15
Knox parent goes off at Bell and Knox football ... 12 hr Confused 6
•••
•••
•••

Barbourville Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Barbourville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••