Bible study rules for public schools proposed

Feb 10, 2010 Full story: The Courier-Journal 133,399

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Full Story

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#98413 Apr 3, 2013
You worship satan wrote:
<quoted text>
You worship satan (who tells people to kill)
It seems my memory is fuzzy on that. I know of times that God demanded, endorsed and even committed killings, but would you be kind enough to show me where the Bible says that Satan ever told anyone to kill?
excuse me

Elkhorn City, KY

#98414 Apr 3, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
The Bible was compiled, edited, assembled and approved by a series of committees in the third century.
<quoted text>
The Old Testament & Messianic Prophecy
There is one test that we can apply to all ‘sacred writings’.... The Test Of Prophecy - the foretelling of future events. Surely a book claiming to be God's Word will contain His statements about His purpose, and predictions for the future. If you compare the ‘divine’ books such as the Bhagavad-Gita and the Koran, you will find that they contain hardly any prophecies, and certainly none that are as specific as those of the Bible and which have been fulfilled to the letter. Biblical prophecies commonly give details of actual events to occur; Actual geographic locations; Actual people (sometimes named before they were born); Actual nations, all of which would be involved in certain world events. It is a simple matter to ascertain whether such prophecies have been fulfilled or not
The Odds Approximately 2500 prophecies appear in the pages of the Bible, about 2000 of which already have been fulfilled to the letter — no errors.(The remaining 500 or so reach into the future and may be seen unfolding as days go by.) Since the probability for any one of these prophecies having been fulfilled by chance averages less than one in ten (figured very conservatively) and since the prophecies are for the most part independent of one another, the odds for all these prophecies having been fulfilled by chance without error is less than one in 102000 (that is 1 with 2000 zeros written after it)!
excuse me

Elkhorn City, KY

#98415 Apr 3, 2013
The New Testament was written by men who were either eyewitnesses themselves, or who related from the eyewitnesses their personal accounts of the actual incidents and teachings of Christ. It is beyond doubt that the New Testament accounts of Christ were circulated within the lifetimes of those who witnessed his life. It is also a fact that these people (some friendly, others hostile to the gospel) would confirm or deny the accuracy of the accounts. The bitter opponents of Jesus and his disciples would have leapt at the opportunity to discredit the claims concerning his life, death and resurrection, if the writings being circulated were untrue.

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#98416 Apr 4, 2013
excuse me wrote:
The New Testament was written by men who were either eyewitnesses themselves, or who related from the eyewitnesses their personal accounts of the actual incidents and teachings of Christ. It is beyond doubt that the New Testament accounts of Christ were circulated within the lifetimes of those who witnessed his life. It is also a fact that these people (some friendly, others hostile to the gospel) would confirm or deny the accuracy of the accounts. The bitter opponents of Jesus and his disciples would have leapt at the opportunity to discredit the claims concerning his life, death and resurrection, if the writings being circulated were untrue.
I don't know if this is accurate. The earliest gospels date back to decades after Christ died. If men alive at the time who knew enough to remember it were still knocking around later around the time that the author of Luke was writing then they would have been pretty old, I think.

I'll have to do some research. I'm going by memory. I know Luke was first (and it had the fewest miracles and no claim that Jesus was God). The others came later and they each added more and more layers of total nonsense like miracles and such. That's how mythology grows.

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#98417 Apr 4, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>The Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock because they ran out of beer. The Pyramids were built on beer.. Damned upstart uptight religions like Muslims and Mormons...friggin' contrary to progress and productivity.
I wouldn't know. I don't need it myself
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#98418 Apr 4, 2013
Hello wrote:
In response to post #98210.
I apologize, I haven't been in this conversation, but I'd like to comment on this post and give my understanding of how it happened.
The mountains that were named didn't exist in the pre-flood era.
The water was mostly under the crust of the earth originally and we believe a seventh layer of atmosphere, a water layer, encompassed the earth in order to protect us from UV among other things.
The fountains of the great deep broke up and high pressure water from underneath the crust flooded the surface while the water canopy above collapsed and fell to earth as rain.
I think the wording is "all the high hills" and not mountain tops because mountains didn't exist as they do now. The earth was smoother.
After the duration of the flood the unpressurized voids left in the earth began to be filled. The crust that was once above the waters was now collapsing into the voids where the water had been.
As the smoother mass of the earth's crust collapsed in closer to the center there was less space to contain the mass. So the effect, as with anything that you try to cram into a smaller space than it can fit, was for the mountains to push out. In the case of the flood, out of the water. That is why we find aquatic fossils on Everest. It was land that was once underwater, but was pushed up as the earths crust collapsed in closer to the center of the planet.
I heard one time that if the earth's crust was leveled the water would cover it in a depth of about a mile. I'm not sure of the estimated depth, it's been a while since I heard that.
Also, I personnally believe that all radioactive isotopes were probably contained deep in the earth's crust prior to the flood (probably serving some purpose). When the crust was disheveled from the flood and the minerals were re-ordered and stratified the isotopes were mixed in.
Humans today are now constantly exposed to radiation as well as UV which would account for our rapid aging due to the destruction of our cells from the exposure.
There is a verse in the New Testament, one of Peter's books I think, that states that people would scoff at the Bible because they would be ignorant of the fact that the earth was created both in the water and out of the water. In the water, being the water layer of atmosphere. Out of the water, being the water that was once under the crust that now fills the oceans while the crust that was above the water now lies on the ocean's floor.
Thank you.
Great post!
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

#98420 Apr 4, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>I posted the bible verses so they can be read from your bible. So you admit that the bible is a lie?
I am a nasty poster because I posted straight from the bible?
No! The Bible is true...
It's you that is a liar... posting snippets, and wrongly pointing
to what it means!
Yet, you posted that you knew what it meant, so that means you
did it maliciously!
No morals!
Case closed!
Thanks again!
Wrong again Sparky

Stanton, KY

#98421 Apr 4, 2013
Satanic Priest wrote:
<quoted text>You do not understand how a democracy works do you? When 5% of the people want something and 95% of the people say Hell no than it is not going to happen.
Send your kids to private school but hope that they do not read the whole bible or they will become Atheist
It'd not 5% of the people... it's 85%!
When the 15% of the people are like you...
Sandusky will go free, and people will be allowed to marry their goats!
So true

Franklin, KY

#98422 Apr 4, 2013
Blessed day to you all. May we all have those moments that touch out hearts in someway ..
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#98423 Apr 4, 2013
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe there are people who value zygotes more than they do children.
I believe there are people who value political and religious control more than they do women's lives.
I believe I will never get pregnant.
I believe you call it a "zygote" to diminish it's value!
I believe you diminish God, so you can do what you want to a woman/men, and not have to pay for your mistakes!
I believe/know God is real, the end is closer than we think, and
ALL un-righteousness will be erased... in the blink of an eye!
Then... all those people that do not think Zygotes had value...
will suffer worse than they!

Location hidden

#98424 Apr 4, 2013
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know if this is accurate. The earliest gospels date back to decades after Christ died. If men alive at the time who knew enough to remember it were still knocking around later around the time that the author of Luke was writing then they would have been pretty old, I think.
I'll have to do some research. I'm going by memory. I know Luke was first (and it had the fewest miracles and no claim that Jesus was God). The others came later and they each added more and more layers of total nonsense like miracles and such. That's how mythology grows.
Sorry, correcting myself:

Mark is the first of the gospels, not Luke. Luke and Matthew are basically taken directly from Mark with some stuff that may come from an unknown source called Q.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#98425 Apr 4, 2013
Skeptical Spectacles wrote:
<quoted text>
You believe that that life begins at conception, right?
You also (I'm assuming) believe that these new life-forms have a "soul", right?
Since these unborn "babies" haven't had a chance to "sin" yet, wouldn't they go straight to "Heaven" if they are terminated?
Seems to me that you people would actually be for abortions.
Murder is not something we believe in!
Plus... every soul has to have the choice in free will!
They do not get to make that choice...
nasty people make it for them!
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#98426 Apr 4, 2013
that guy wrote:
You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep-seated need to believe.
The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
You keep believing, I'll keep evolving
Hahahaha!
The Heavens declare God's Glory!
I know God is real, as He showed up, and saved this wretch!
Hope you receive the same!
Amen!

Location hidden

#98427 Apr 4, 2013
Right, so the earliest gospel, Mark, was probably written around 70 AD. That's 70 years after Jesus was killed.

I seriously question the idea it was taken from eye witnesses.

Mark is also the book without any real miracles. If I remember correctly. Jesus is born of humans, and is human. He is not the son of God and does not identify himself as a deity in this book.

Later gospels add these layers of miracles and God stuff more heavily, culminating with John going apesh*t for Jesus.

And that is exactly how stories grow in the telling. How anyone can believe these stories are literally true is the real miracle.
Yes and Amen

Stanton, KY

#98428 Apr 4, 2013
Quantummist wrote:
<quoted text>
"So you say but cann..... nevermind.... You know, you know....
Yes! Yes I DO KNOW... Truly hoping you get to KNOW too!
Amen!

Location hidden

#98429 Apr 4, 2013
Yes and Amen wrote:
<quoted text>Murder is not something we believe in!
Plus... every soul has to have the choice in free will!
They do not get to make that choice...
nasty people make it for them!
But I already showed how free will is incompatible with a perfect god.

Also, prove souls exist.

Location hidden

#98430 Apr 4, 2013
excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
That just goes beyond Scripture and I am not going to speculate!
Do you think it was a moral act to have the people slaughtered?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98431 Apr 4, 2013
excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
Most critics of the Bible assume that because something is unexplained it is unexplainable. When a scientist comes across an anomaly in nature he doesn’t give up on science. How many NASA scientists resigned when they found rings around Jupiter which was contrary to all scientific explanations?
When the Bible has been proven to be accurate over and over again in hundreds of details the burden of proof is on the critics, not on the Bible.
Most skeptics do not bring to the Bible the powers of comprehension and interpretation, that they would bring to a reading of the average newspaper. Perhaps this uneven treatment should not be surprising. After all, the skeptic has much to lose if the Bible is right
I have taken several of your so called contridictions and proven them NOT TO BE A CONTRIDICTION AT ALL.....Now as I stated above THE BURDEN OF PROOF IS IN YOU SIR... All I see you doing is posting verses, then merely stating it is a contridiction...PROVE IT~
As soon as you back up your statement that the bible has been proven to be accurate. Otherwise what you have said is that you are a liar that does not care about the truth. Oh, I did PROVE that the bible contradicts itself. Now what?

“There is no god”

War, WV

#98433 Apr 4, 2013
You worship satan wrote:
<quoted text>
You worship satan (who tells people to kill) and you have the gull to criticize those who worship Jesus.The old bible had a lot of things that happened and was not of God. Jesus said because of the hardness of your hearts Moses allowed divorce . And Jesus told them do not kill.Thus the REVELATION of JESUS ,His purpose to come to earth was to change the people's hearts and minds ,and not believe every thing their forefathers said. Jesus is gentle ,kind good. He came to stop the stoning and killing . Read the new testament. Ahh,right ,you worship satan, so you pick out old bible scriptures on wars and ignore all the good things that are in it.JESUS IS LORD.Question-why do you costantly post if you do not believe the bible,does the evil inside of you will not rest until you make sure everyone stops believing? i notice most people post 2 or 3 times,but you never give up? WHY???
Satan is a title, not the scare tactic of your cult. There is no god and no devil. However if there where your god would be the most evil devil.

Location hidden

#98434 Apr 4, 2013
excuse me wrote:
When Joseph of Arimathea asked for the body of Christ so he and Nicodemus could bury Him, Pontius Pilate ordered a centurion to verify that Jesus was dead (Mk. 15:43-45). The Roman governor would not release the body to Joseph until the centurion was certain that all signs of life were gone. You can be sure that an officer in the Roman army would not make a mistake about an important matter like this in his report to such a high official as Pilate.
Joseph and Nicodemus prepared the body for burial according to Jewish custom. This included wrapping it "in a clean linen cloth" (Mt. 27:59), anointing the body with "a mixture of myrrh and aloes" (Jn. 19:39), and placing it "in a tomb which had been hewn out of the rock" (Mk. 15:46). It seems obvious that any sign of life would have been detected by these bereaved friends. Surely they would not have buried a breathing Jesus.
The Pharisees and chief priests met with Pilate to discuss what had occurred. They made such remarks as "while He was still alive" (Mt. 27:63). Soldiers were ordered to secure the grave with a seal. In addition, guards were placed on duty to prevent the disciples from coming to "steal Him away" (v.64). The Jewish leaders and the Roman authorities knew beyond doubt that Jesus was dead.
The Sabbath had ended, and Jesus' friends could now come to visit the tomb. As morning broke on the new day, the women who had watched Joseph and Nicodemus bury Jesus came back to anoint His body. It was Sunday now--a somber day that, as far as the women knew, would be followed by many more days just like it. They were undoubtedly resigned to a future of sad pilgrimages such as this one. They knew of nothing else they could do for their fallen loved one but to grieve at His tomb and to put spices on His body. But what a surprise lay ahead!
As they walked toward the garden, they worried aloud about who could roll away the heavy stone so they could go inside the tomb and apply their spices. But when they arrived, they saw that the stone had already been moved! They were greeted by an angel, who told them that Jesus had risen.
( There is your answer)
And you believe this story...why? It has an angel in it. Do you not feel the least bit skeptical about angels walking around, telling stories?

There's a metric ton of problems with the Jesus narrative. Read some Bart Ehrman on the subject.

http://www.bartdehrman.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Barbourville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Vote Dry send our Money to Corbin !?!?!? 3 hr Interested person 2
New wet vote petition started today please sign... 3 hr Interested person 12
WET vote supported by Artemus church deacon 5 hr I wonder 2
Where to sign WET petition ?"??? 5 hr Dude 3
looking to buy a electric fence charger 6 hr beans 1
Keep our town DRY 8 hr Crack Kills 17
barbourville street department seen on I75 8 hr resident 10
dinky phipps 10 hr literally 31
Romeo's Italian Resturant 11 hr Boozer 8
How to make homemade ice melt for steps, sidewa... (Jan '13) Thu marsh 55